Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (31) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 21, 2011 6:19 PM

Nov 2008
I just watched episodes 11 and 12 – the conclusion of “Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica”. Episode 11 continued with the dark genius of the previous episodes, then we got to the finale.

Let me put it this way – when it comes to anime, I “vote with my wallet”, and in the case of the ending of “Madoka”, my wallet votes “No Sale”.

I felt that the entire spirit that had developed in the series was thrown away in moments, with a resolution that made me think of a cross between the ending of EVA TV and that of “2001”. Then, having left me disatisfied with the resolution, the final episode hit me with a tsunami of anticlimaxes and postscripts.

What were the folks at Shaft thinking? Is this fizzle of an ending the real reason why they delayed the broadcast for so long?
Apr 21, 2011 6:34 PM

Aug 2009
This was only possible conclusion in order to make Happy Ending that is actually relevant. Even though it is inevitable getting disappoint just a bit due to enormous hype, this series was glorious.

10/10. It's very strong candidate for the best animation of 2011. Strong development, strong directions, strong plot and strong characters. This kind of show is what otaku industry need to focus on making.
Apr 21, 2011 7:33 PM

Jul 2009
AGHHHHH I RAGED. It thew away all its potential in one blasted episode....What was an engaging story with an unconventional premise turned out to be nothing more than a show about love and friendship. Fuck me.

I hate the fucking copout ending. Stupid pretentious Madoka and her stupid nonsensical wish (which broke every rule, but I guess when you're out of ideas...).

This show ended at episode 11 for me....I saw this coming, I can't believe I actually believed they would have done something different.
controlmajortomApr 21, 2011 7:37 PM
Apr 21, 2011 7:37 PM

Jul 2010
o.O

- 5 minutes later -

o.O

I don't even know what I feel right now. I need to digest this ending for a couple hours! Words aren't enough to describe it.
Apr 21, 2011 7:40 PM

Oct 2009
HOLY FUCK BALLS SHIT WAT

THAT WAS AMAZING.

I just loved it...I wasn't expecting the ending to be like that, but it was so satisfying at the same time. I cried at the part where Madoka was leaving Homura...so much. ;_;

The ending is pretty bittersweet for the characters...but Kyubey ends up cute. Also the ending made sense to me, not sure about others.

God I'm giving this show a 10/10. Couldn't wait to watch it every week, it was such a ride..and all the speculation and stuff. Best Mahou Shoujo ever.
Apr 21, 2011 7:42 PM

Aug 2010
I was expecting something like this. It's similar to Saya no Uta ending in that it seems like a good ending, but when you think about it, didn't everything just get destroyed? Beautiful ending. I'd expect nothing less from Gen. Bravo and here's to his future works.
Apr 21, 2011 7:52 PM

Feb 2009
This was certainly a bittersweet ending.

Madoka ended up ending the existence of all witches but they were replaced by demons. In doing so, she essentially confined herself in a closed space for all of eternity, something I would consider worse than death.

Homura continues to be badass in the end it seems. The post-credits ending looks sort of post-apocalyptic,though. In that sense, didn't Madoka end all life on earth and leave Homura behind to fight for all of eternity cleaning up her mess? I suppose it's up to the viewer to decide.

I have mixed feelings about the ending, but I feel giving this show anything less than a 10/10 wouldn't work out for me.
Arcane587Apr 21, 2011 7:59 PM
Apr 21, 2011 7:58 PM

Apr 2008
ReaperEXE said:
Shinbo's a troll, waiting for Good Friday to air Madoka. Should have known.

Love the way u say it ! HAHA

Awesome ending ~

10/10

Apr 21, 2011 7:58 PM

Aug 2009
Wow unexpecting ending... I was prepared for being trolled...

And I think a 2º season is unnecessary... :S...

....And if it's, please NOT ON SUNDAY
Apr 21, 2011 7:59 PM

Feb 2010
h-holy lord...
my mind-gears are constantly in motion since I finished it, while my body feels numb and empty.
Madoka effectively divided everything by Zero...

Those who are busy complaining should first try to think about what happened instead of whining. It all makes sense once you start thinking.
Brilliant!
Apr 21, 2011 8:00 PM

Nov 2007
I have to say that this ending was rather bittersweet. Yet, I still get the feeling of a cliffhanger. To me it seems that they left a few questions unanswered. It feels unfinished.
Apr 21, 2011 8:03 PM

Apr 2008
Eva ending? Really? :/ Giving this a 9/10 purely because of that WTF ending. Also, episode 11 wasted waaay too much time attempting (and failing) to give Madoka's mom and her teacher some character development. (Also why the hell was that teacher smiling the whole time she was talking about Madoka mourning Sayaka? Did she expect her to be celebrating? stfu, teacher, and go back to whining about your poor love life)

I think I'm just going to consider episode 10 the last episode. Homura goes back in time again, rinse and repeat. But some Homura x Madoka nekkid space loving in between is fine!
Apr 21, 2011 8:04 PM

Jan 2010
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY!!!

I Waited weeks for these episodes. The ending was bittersweet. 9/10. Though I had no idea what were

Apr 21, 2011 8:05 PM

Jun 2010
Amazing series. I have no regrets watching it. I loved it so much.

Apr 21, 2011 8:08 PM

Oct 2007
Absolutely loved it to bits.
Apr 21, 2011 8:10 PM

Dec 2007
Who's this Madoka person you all keep talking about?
Apr 21, 2011 8:11 PM

Jan 2008
That was incredible. I wasn't entirely sure how they were going to end it, but in retrospect this was pretty much the best way to finish everything off. In the current situation, it would just keep repeating with failure each time, so the only possible way to get out of it was to rewrite the situation itself.

Must admit it did remind me of End of Evangelion quite a lot. Similar kind of ending really, what with the recreation of the world and the theatre scene and everything.

Still, I'm pretty damn impressed.
Apr 21, 2011 8:12 PM

Aug 2010
That was the best ending they could have possibly given for this anime. I am very impressed. This anime is getting a 10/10 and its going in my top 5. This anime was godly, and not just cuz of Madoka.

Apr 21, 2011 8:19 PM

May 2009
That was quite an interesting ending... I am not sure what happened. I need time to process. It was odd though I think it was still good.
Apr 21, 2011 8:20 PM

Jul 2010
Just wow, this anime became number 1 on my list. just wow. what a amazing ending, im just utterly speechless. madoka became god, and rewrote the universe. I seriously cried through several moments on the last two episodes. Especially when madoka left homura after the universe was remade.

this is the best anime of all time. nothing can beat this show. episode 11 was just beyond epic and episode 12 was even epicer.

Thank you SHAFT.

THANK YOU.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Apr 21, 2011 8:22 PM
Apr 2011
I can't wait for a Homura★Magicka.
Apr 21, 2011 8:24 PM

Jun 2010
I am pleased.

Though it seems that there are a couple questions, but ah well. Now, shall we have a second season? In a way I hope so, and yet I doubt it could be anywhere near as good.
ToDo List:
1) Write two chapters
2) Read another two chapters of ____ Manga
3) Write two more chapters
4) Watch two episodes of _____ Anime
5) Write two more chapters
6) Repeat
Did you remember to eat and/or sleep today?
Apr 21, 2011 8:24 PM

Dec 2010
As far as I'm concerned, this was a happy ending.
- The only person who sacrificed herself went out with a smile, and still keeps it to this day, with absolutely no regrets
- The only other one that realizes it came to accept it
- And perhaps more importantly, THE UNIVERSE IS HAPPY AND SMOKING A CUBAN NEXT TO FIDEL

The way Madoka, should we say, ceased to exist in this realm, does not add any bitter to my sweet. But that's just the way I see it, anyway.

Just a few things:

JOAN D'ARC WAS A PUELLA. BITE THAT ONE, FRENCHIES.

First, I understand how Madoka can defeat the grief accumulated by her (and by the way, awesome battle goddess outfit in that scene), but the subs say the comet is her Soul Gem. Does that mean she, by then, is already a goddess, even though she is still in the "normal" universe?

Second... Homura wing wings? I'll buy. But how come they turned from angel wings to witch-like wings? Seriously. That one I can't understand.

New enemies at the end do not hint a new season. Evil always exists: even if Madoka managed to vent out the girl's grief some other way, it still exists in this world, and no white rabbit civilization can grab it all and put it in a coal burner. Remember, the universe has changed, but magic remains: thus it is only normal for that magic to show itself in other ways.

Finally, to quote detective's review:

I am the juice of my acid.
SHAFT is my body, and drugs are my blood.
I have created over a thousand seizures.
Unknown to DVD sales.
Nor known to stream on time.
Have withstood food to create many anime.
Yet, those hands will never hold money.
So as I pray, “UNLIMITED SHAFT WORKS”

I will probably repost this tomorrow when we have more breathing room for discussion. Right now, 4:18 AM. Phew. But it was worth the wait.

UTTER. PERFECTION.
BrickBreakApr 21, 2011 8:32 PM
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Apr 21, 2011 8:25 PM

Sep 2007
OMG! That was so awesome o________o Masterpiece at the beginning, and still masterpiece at the end.

One of the best anime I've watched <3
Apr 21, 2011 8:25 PM

Jul 2010
Why...can't...I...give...this...an...11???????

Madoka became God, and Homura became even more of a badass.

Kyuubey's still evil as far as I'm concerned (There may not be any more witches, but they're still gonna die, and he still believes witches would've been better and most likely still feels the same way about humans.), it's just that he can't get his way now.

All in all, a perfect ending to a perfect anime, and was worth the wait.
Apr 21, 2011 8:31 PM

Feb 2010
TEN OUT OF TEN AND FAVORITED! Wow that ending was just awesome. It was both depressing and happy. I loved that little bit after the credits where she is all alone fighting against the demons. Such an amazing anime and the first magical girl anime I have enjoyed very much.
Apr 21, 2011 8:32 PM

Jul 2010
so in short, madoka became somehow a god and only homura knows it...
there's no more WITCHES in current time but there is what they call EVIL
mahou shoujo doesnt turn into witches anymore, instead when their grief seed becomes exausted, it will vanish... and its because of madoka...

damn, i never expected this kind of ending, im kinda expectnig madoka turning into a mahou shoujo but not into a godlike thing...

this anime is 10/10

if my memory serves me right, this is my first time watching magical girls, and at the beginning of the season, i thought this will be some childish anime where girls transform into magical girls, waving their wands, fighting villains but unexpected things happened and that what makes it goooood....
Apr 21, 2011 8:35 PM
Aug 2009
I don't think Uribochi gets what a "Happy" ending is but this was brilliant. Completely go against the flow of the genre the entire season, then use every ending trope the genre is known for in the most deconstructive way possible. Brilliant.

On another note,

Finally, this is probably the only time that I can remember where godmoding a character hasn't felt out of place and wrong.
Apr 21, 2011 8:37 PM

Aug 2008
So basically Modoka Destroyed the current world and created a new one Evangelion Style.

schale01Apr 21, 2011 8:45 PM
Apr 21, 2011 8:39 PM

Sep 2009
10/10

but it does remind me of NGE and TTGL....

will rewatch it again
Apr 21, 2011 8:45 PM
Mar 2009

That is all
Apr 21, 2011 8:47 PM
Jun 2009
EPIC the series was godly the ending was epic though i feel they could have had a little more action in the fight but she was god at the time so in that since there was no way they could have drawn it out the wings and the weapons that homura had at the end make me think they could draw out another sequel/ spinoff btw

NEVER FORGET MADOKA
4/22/2011 Good Friday
Apr 21, 2011 8:47 PM
Jan 2010
Streaming fucking Madoka

WHY?
Apr 21, 2011 8:48 PM

Jan 2008
hellfiredragon said:
On another note,

Apr 21, 2011 8:48 PM
Mar 2010
I liked the ending. Kind of totally defied logic (so Kyubey has the power to recreate the world, huh?) and blew my mind, but this is Shaft. Nothing much to say, except shiny stuff is shiny.

If I were to give ratings anymore, I'd give this a 10/10. Fun ride.

p.s. Goddess Madoka and Homura are BAMFs.
Apr 21, 2011 8:49 PM

Jul 2008
Fantastic ending for a fantastic anime.
Apr 21, 2011 8:49 PM

Jun 2009
BrickBreak said:

JOAN D'ARC WAS A PUELLA. BITE THAT ONE, FRENCHIES.

Yes, and we have the proof
Apr 21, 2011 8:54 PM

Feb 2009
Not sure what to make of it. I did like it very much, it was good, but I don't think I'm going crazy over it? I need to think about it. However, 90% of anime endings leave me feeling like something is missing, so I'm definitely used to that. Still an absolutely fantastic anime, regardless.

Madoka was definitely pretty cool in the end, though; and Homura remained absolutely awesome. It was also quite sad to see Sayaka go.

The ending kind of left open some possibilities in regards to sequels/spin-offs, but not too obviously... which is a great way to leave it. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing more of Madoka whether it's in the form of that slice of life series, recap movies, OVAs, etc.
Dec 2009
I'm speakless.
Maybe cos its 6AM and I have no sleep.

Anyways. Perfect anime. Best anime 2010~2011

Mar 2009
My god, best magical girl show ever.

9/10
Apr 21, 2011 8:55 PM

Dec 2010
haha I love this girl, so cute with her broken weapon, her helmet, and her wings!

Anyway like others have said, now that I think about it this anime does have similarities with NGE. But the first thing that came to my mind was actually Serial Experiment Lain. What happens to both Madoka and Lain are so alike as they both become very powerful, yet are forgotten by a majority of people.

Of Saya No Uta, and of the guy who writes this anime I really expected a sad/bad/tragic ending. Although I do consider what happens to Madoka sad on some level, I expected much more despair. I guess Urobuchi Gen has become a healing writer and I was not misled.

This anime has a bittersweet ending, but it's good enough for me to consider it a "good" ending instead of something like Saikono where everything simply disappeared with only two characters left.

Really good up to episode 11 and then 12. I rate this a 9.5/10 which I guess is a 10 since MAL doesn't let us give decimal ratings.
Apr 21, 2011 8:57 PM
Dec 2009
Madoka is not dead. She's in our hearts <3
Apr 21, 2011 8:58 PM

May 2008
F-ing amazing 10/10

And to all you haters out there who wanted madoka to kill herself or some other ending like that............. -_-
It really wasnt too much of a wtf ending really. At least I understood what was going on.
Madoka wishes to fight every witch right before they are formed and all that jazz, meaning that she has to go throughout time and space(through all universes) and every instant a puella is about to turn into a witch she explodes their ass. Homura dies in a way that she is about to turn into a witch so Madoka meets her and obliterates her before she wreaks havoc on the world. Because she moves throughout time and space constantly and continueously she cannot exist in the present world. Homura remembers her(possibly due to the fact that she herself can travel throughout time(and therefore space)) but everyone else does not. As for the "curses", idk they are just an alternate manifestation of dispair. Homura was a powerful puella already and prob due to the fact that she had sex with, i mean was with madoka in the end, she powered up. So she fights the curses and kyubey tags along for the energy.
This show was damn good.
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
Apr 21, 2011 9:01 PM
May 2009
wow....speechless..... 10/10

ok had some time to think and here is what i think went down:

madoka, essentially, became a god to make sure nobody turned into a witch anymore. since the fundemental laws of the universe have change so to do how the contracts work, what the puella magi fight, and possibly what powers they get since we seem homura with a bow at the end. since madoka is everywhere, anywhere, past present and future that would explain why she was able to talk to sayaka like that.

again, agreeing with whats been said that i agree that the demons are madoka's despair showing itself in the world. evil has to exist and entropy will happen regardless so maybe this is madoka's way of venting/giving them something to fight.

the very end looks post-apocalyptic mess that homura will clean up forever
Apr 21, 2011 9:03 PM

Nov 2008
Goddammit I thought they postponed the show for better quality but it seems they trolled us so that they could air this on Good Friday. XDD Nice one SHAFT. You really give me a lot of surprises XDD I should have expected this XDD

I don't know about those so called "demons" at the end of the show. They reminded me or Nobody in Kingdom Hearts. It does makes sense though if I make Witches as Heartless then Nobodies should be their counterpart or whatsoever and made a debut somehow XDD

10/10 I know most people would think that the ending is so lame or retarded or whatever you called it but this the the only possible ending that could solve everything. Bittersweet, yes but it is still satisfying. :D

PS: Awesome ride since I watched this since this was first aired. I'm so happy T_T

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Oct 2010
Best ending ever!! everyone shed tears as Madoka bravely and boldly sacrificed herself, and when her little brother was drawing her picture and the mom, it was the best ending. 10/10 worth waiting for :D

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

May 2009
i bursted into tears after i finished this episode ;~;
mukuro-sama♥ hibari-sama♥fon-sama♥
My top wanted things:
1. Yato umbrellas!!
2. Mukuro's left eye
3. LEON!!! (KHR)
Apr 21, 2011 9:05 PM

Jan 2010
my god im srsly at lost for words about this anime. srsly this was the best show i have watched since angel beats+DRRR!! and honestly it ranks high up there with them. Ive decided to give this one of my rare 10 out of 10. And Homaru+Madoka=epicsauce with a side BAMFage and PWNage in a can for the drink. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THIS SHOW SHALL LIVE FOREVER!!!!
Apr 21, 2011 9:05 PM

Feb 2010
Wow, I'm blown away. I know that a lot of people don't like this kind of ending because it's all happy and stuff. Well, I myself enjoy happiness and loved this ending with all my heart.

I thought it all made perfect sense. Madoka, changing the laws of the universe with the miracle that was her wish became a god and took away the despair that witches cause. This rewrote the timeline so Madoka never existed. Sayaka ends up dying anyway, but Madoka helps her have no regrets. Because the timeline was rewritten, Homura's magic seems to no longer revolve around time travel and control. Instead the has the bow as well as the wings and who knows what else. The distortion demons are the effects of Madoka recreating the universe and that's why mahou shoujo must still fight. However, Homura has Madoka at her side now to help her fight these distortions. If there's anything I seem to be misunderstanding or didn't list, please tell me.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was right at the end. Homura's wings seemed very witch like. Perhaps it has something to do with Homura getting support from Madoka who is shouldering all despair. In that case it's like Homura using the power of a witch without being a witch by using the despair that Madoka has collected. Sounds good in theory to help lighten Madoka's load a little bit, but then again I'm just making silly theories.

Overall, I love this series to death, but based on the comments about Oriko Magica it sounds particularly dark and I don't do well with sad endings so I'm worried about watching it...

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica to me, is how you do anime.
Apr 21, 2011 9:09 PM
Apr 2010
Contradiction after contradiction after contradiction.

Hell, contradiction contradicted itself in this episode!!!

My mind got ****ed.

You know what, I give this Anime:
Pages (31) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.