Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2011 3:07 AM

Apr 2011
Wish my first post wasn't on such a sad note...

I know I'm a little behind the times on this anime. I usually don't get into "harem" stuff, and realistically I'm pretty new to anime in general.

But I have to say that Shuffle! is probably right there at the top of my list, competing for my all time favorite.

However, I have never been left feeling so upset with the outcome of a piece of fiction in my life. The end of this show was like reading for the first time the passage where Dumbledore is killed. You stop reading, because you know what's coming,and yet you know you have to keep going. And then the inevitable happens anyway, leaving you feeling totally helpless and empty because you know there's nothing you can do...

And yet, what I find myself frustrated about the most, is that I don't even know who to be mad at. Besides the asshole that came up with the freaking show.

I don't think as the creator of this story that I could DO that to one of my characters? Watching Kaede have a mental break down, and then continue to suffer because of her proximity to Rin literally caused me physical pain in my chest and continues to bring me to tears. I understand why the producers would realistically have Rin end up with Asa... I don't begrudge or hate "him" for that. And yet I feel like I have to hate someone for it. How do you do that to a character like Kaede. It's just totally beyond fuxed up.

I'm sure this topic is just beating a long dead horse. And to be honest, I feel like a total shmuck even raging about it. But I honestly had to put me feelings down somewhere. I'm still pissed beyond all repair at the moment.

I wish I could recommend this anime, I really do, it's really quite amazing. But I honestly don't know how to feel about recommending the heartache you will feel if you get attached to stories/characters AT all.

Celtic
celticchristophApr 21, 2011 8:22 AM
Apr 21, 2011 3:37 AM

Jan 2011
Kaede is the character in the anime world that i hate the most, so I'm mighty glad Rin ended up with Asa in Shuffle anime.

That aside.. Shuffle anime is a disaster. Characters don't look like their originals (VN version), lousy voice actors (Nerine's voice sounds like a broken radio!, Asa's voice is not as lovable, etc.), and even Kaede becomes more bitchy here. I could still show a little sympathy for Kaede in VN, but never for her anime version. You better stick with Shuffle VN if you wanna enjoy this series.

As for me, Asa's route in the VN is the most awesome from the rest of the girls. Maybe some of Shuffle anime storymakers share the same opinion ^_^
Apr 21, 2011 8:18 AM

Apr 2011
magicalflyer said:
Kaede is the character in the anime world that i hate the most, so I'm mighty glad Rin ended up with Asa in Shuffle anime.

Could you please elaborate as to why this is? I found quite a few people who had this reaction to her. A lot of them seemed to be people who'd watched a lot of Anime. I don't know if that observation actually holds water or not, just something I noticed.

Also, out of curiousity, are you a guy or a gal? I've noticed that seems to play a part in some people's answers too.

magicalflyer said:
and even Kaede becomes more bitchy here. I could still show a little sympathy for Kaede in VN, but never for her anime version.

I don't understand this at all? How is she more bitchy in the Anime at all?

I went ahead and found a copy of the VN online... (took me a while to even figure out what a VN was... -facepalm-... which somehow I also failed to notice that it was an H-game until significantly later, lmao.)

If anything, Kaede is more "aggressive" or "bitchy" in the VN? She at one point will actually take what she wants (which I REALLY wish she would have done in the Anime).

magicalflyer said:
As for me, Asa's route in the VN is the most awesome from the rest of the girls. Maybe some of Shuffle anime storymakers share the same opinion ^_^

I'm really not hating on Asa. I'm not like those groupies that wishes she'd have just died or something. Though it saddens me the route the story decided to go as far as Rin's love life is concerned, I WAS happy for RinxAsa. They made a good couple. Their pairing did make the most sense as far as stability, and general characteristics go.

But stability isn't what 95% percent of the animes I've seen ever have. Maybe that's why this one is so frustrating for me. Because the protagonist actually makes a "real" decision, one that makes sense. So I understand his choice... and yet hate it at the same time because it's not the "super-hero, fix the broken girl" decision.

All in all, I'm not dissatisfied with the ending as far as good story telling goes. I just was left with this really empty, really awful feeling for Kaede. She had spent the prior 8 years of her life trying so hard to atone for damage she had done as a child. And because of this, without realizing it, really fell in love with him. You can't really blame Rin for not pursuing Kaede, never once in the anime does she actually point out her love for Rin. At least not until it's already way to late. But that's what I mean. This is why I was so frustrated by the way it was written. There's things that really just don't follow common sense.

First of all, you don't live with the hottest girl in the school, have her cook/clean/wash/care for you 24/7, and not develop feelings for her. Regardless of whether he would realize his feelings for her at first or not, you don't have a girl give every aspect of her life to you and just ignore it. Being a guy I can honestly say that no caring guy could ever do that. Hell, even a lot of not-so-caring guys couldn't just idly ignore her like Rin does. It just doesn't work like that.

Now, I know the anime version of Kaede is obviously largely to blame for her own defeat. She never did anything to try and win Rin over... besides doing the same things she'd been doing for him for the past 8 years. But you can't entirely blame her. She's so concerned with making Rin happy, that she never once allows herself happiness. At almost every point in the Anime, when she goes to try and speak up... she backs off. Partly due to shyness, partly due to the fact that she won't ever do anything to inconvenience Rin.

But that's my second point, Kaede's character doesn't make total sense. You don't just effing love someone as much as she loves Rin, and never allow yourself to try and show it. A person THAT much in love with someone, no matter how shy, could never repress their feelings for that long, while all of these other "competitors" were moving in on your the love of your life. I get that the point of her "psychotic break" was because she tried to suppress it, but again... I just don't think things work like that.

It's just... really frustrating. I'm okay with the way the RinxAsa thing came out... I just wish they would have finished the story off by giving Kaede (and thus myself) a little peace of mind. Something to show that her life wasn't going to be lived in the shadow of Rin's new life. To show she might actually be happy. I don't think this is asking too much of the producers.

The Kaede character deserved that much at least.
celticchristophApr 21, 2011 8:35 AM
Apr 21, 2011 12:39 PM

Jun 2008
Kaede is the character in the anime world that I love the most. I feel you, OP.
Apr 21, 2011 1:15 PM

Apr 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
Kaede is the character in the anime world that I love the most. I feel you, OP.

<3 Kaede

I still feel like a nub for actually caring THIS much. I mean it's a freaking show. But I've had plenty of books bring me to tears too... this is no different.

If there's a positive side to this, it's that it's got me thinking and drawing again. I haven't done this for years (incidentally... that's also when I stopped reading like I used to).
celticchristophApr 21, 2011 9:13 PM
Apr 23, 2011 1:50 PM

Jan 2011
celticchristoph said:

Could you please elaborate as to why this is? I found quite a few people who had this
reaction to her. A lot of them seemed to be people who'd watched a lot of Anime. I don't know if that observation actually holds water or not, just something I noticed.
Also, out of curiousity, are you a guy or a gal? I've noticed that seems to play a part in some people's answers too.

Basically, I never like (or always hate..) yandere characters.. the type of character Kaede seems to be evolving into. So, maybe I'm a little biased from the start. But, really, this kind of character tend to be annoying as the story develops.

And, I'm a guy, by the way ^_^.

celticchristoph said:

I don't understand this at all? How is she more bitchy in the Anime at all?
I went ahead and found a copy of the VN online... (took me a while to even figure out what a VN was... -facepalm-... which somehow I also failed to notice that it was an H-game until significantly later, lmao.)
If anything, Kaede is more "aggressive" or "bitchy" in the VN? She at one point will actually take what she wants (which I REALLY wish she would have done in the Anime).

Ehm, I think Kaede is actually more aggressive (or "bitchy") in the anime. And that's enough to ignite my absolute hatred toward this particular character. Top it off with lousy graphics and disastrous voice acting, and I had this anime on the top of my "To Delete" list. Well, maybe it's fine if you never play Shuffle VN. But for those who played, I bet the anime is disappointing, at best.

celticchristoph said:

It's just... really frustrating. I'm okay with the way the RinxAsa thing came out... I just wish they would have finished the story off by giving Kaede (and thus myself) a little peace of mind. Something to show that her life wasn't going to be lived in the shadow of Rin's new life. To show she might actually be happy. I don't think this is asking too much of the producers.

Play the VN version, then. I don't know how it actually goes..never played her arc.. but my friend who did said it's pretty good. As for the anime, well, I think it can't be helped.. as the producer decided that it would be a single ending anime, much like Kanon, Air, etc.

Maybe Kaede ended up like that because, of course, Asa "won the draw" as Rin's choice and there's no way to "tweak" Kaede's story without making her a completely different entity than her VN counterpart.

Or..perhaps any VN-based anime had better follow in Amagami SS footsteps. Give all the girls some episodes to tell her own arc ^_^
Jun 8, 2011 10:20 PM

Jun 2011
I agree with you OP. I was really disappointed with this anime because of the choice. Or more like, I wouldnt mind him choosing Asa, she was my second favorite after all, but thats only if Kaede didnt have to suffer that much because of it.
Jun 9, 2011 1:14 AM
Dec 2007
Kaede's VN ending is just terrible. She basically ends exactly as she starts: Rin's personal slave. Only difference is that they now are intimate. In that way, perhaps it was more an improvement for her to release her pent up frustration in the anime, rather than just follow the game's "blame herself for everything" approach.
Leon-GunJun 9, 2011 1:17 AM

Aug 14, 2011 6:34 AM

Aug 2010
magicalflyer said:

That aside.. Shuffle anime is a disaster. Characters don't look like their originals (VN version), lousy voice actors (Nerine's voice sounds like a broken radio!, Asa's voice is not as lovable, etc.), and even Kaede becomes more bitchy here. I could still show a little sympathy for Kaede in VN, but never for her anime version. You better stick with Shuffle VN if you wanna enjoy this series.

totaly agree. i think for the anime its only worth watching for kaede
Aug 15, 2011 5:11 AM
Jun 2010
Kaede, im sorry, truthfully, without trying to hate, is weak, sad, selfish, and refusing to be an Entity. Thus making her a poor human. Of course all the other characters are not to be left out, they all are horrible in there own way. But honestly this anime is only good to watch to see how low someone can fall in life, and to make sure you never reach there point. I worry for the people that like a girl like Kaede, that type of personality is not only deadly, but i wouldnt be able to sleep with someone like that in my house.
Aug 15, 2011 10:16 AM

Aug 2010
Shadowhaze said:
Kaede, im sorry, truthfully, without trying to hate, is weak, sad, selfish, and refusing to be an Entity. Thus making her a poor human. Of course all the other characters are not to be left out, they all are horrible in there own way. But honestly this anime is only good to watch to see how low someone can fall in life, and to make sure you never reach there point. I worry for the people that like a girl like Kaede, that type of personality is not only deadly, but i wouldnt be able to sleep with someone like that in my house.

hmm yandere girls are :p real girls with strenght XD . anyways ^_^ this anime is ok , the game is better
Aug 15, 2011 7:15 PM
Jun 2010
tthammy said:
Shadowhaze said:

hmm yandere girls are :p real girls with strenght XD . anyways ^_^ this anime is ok , the game is better

I hear the game is a hentai =] where do i try this out =]
Aug 15, 2011 7:42 PM
Dec 2007
Shadowhaze said:
tthammy said:
Shadowhaze said:

I hear the game is a hentai =] where do i try this out =]
You can buy it at Mangagamer.com if you are so inclined. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Oct 12, 2011 5:07 PM

Nov 2008
I know what you mean. I hated the ending, and I hated it even more knowing that there was nothing I could do to change it. I personally liked Kaede, and I honestly did not see how he came about to choosing Asa, since out of everybody, I just did not care for her at all.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Oct 13, 2011 12:12 AM

Apr 2011
Haha, I figured this topic had died a long time ago.
Fortunately (I think?) it's been long enough that my emotions about this show have all but dissipated.
However I still remember pretty clearly the massive frustration and disappoint I felt at the end.
Nov 1, 2011 8:06 PM

Feb 2010
celticchristoph said:
Haha, I figured this topic had died a long time ago.
Fortunately (I think?) it's been long enough that my emotions about this show have all but dissipated.
However I still remember pretty clearly the massive frustration and disappoint I felt at the end.
And I accidenty stumbled on your topic lol. Anyways, I also rooted for Kaede, but you know. Xhit happened.
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Nov 16, 2011 3:51 PM
Jun 2011
That's the thing with Harem animes (and I guess other anime involving romance in general)... "Childhood friend" always loses because, quite frankly, they've always lived with each other (or see each other) such that it's become more or less an everyday part of life (and as such romantic relationships don't develop as well since you've known each other so well).

Personally I loved Kaede, but also as much as Asa. Disappointed that the anime had to develop that way for Kaede (which reminds me of School Days, FFFUUU)
Nov 17, 2011 5:23 AM

Aug 2011
Kaede was totally fucked up. She was a complete and utter psycho. Like someone else said, I wouldn't be able to live in the same house as such a murderous psychopath.

On a not unrelated note, I hated how every girl had to have some sort of sob story to make you feel sorry for them. It's like... pick the girl you pity most!
Nov 20, 2011 2:44 AM

Jul 2011
I really wanted Kaede and Rin become couple...
I just wanted watch Shuffle! because of Kaede personality xD

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Nov 21, 2011 8:33 AM

Aug 2011
Gaichi said:
I really wanted Kaede and Rin become couple...
I just wanted watch Shuffle! because of Kaede personality xD

I suppose ax crazy is a preferable personality to have in a romantic relationship.
Nov 21, 2011 1:24 PM

Oct 2011
The later episodes felt to me like the writer had just gone 'oh btw guys Kaede is crazy lol'. She seems a perfectly nice character through out and then suddenly goes completely mad, and it just spoilt the whole thing for me, instead of resolving things between her and Rin in a happy ending way she just gets destroyed. Asa is barley even a character for half the series, she just appears occasionally, says some meaningless stuff and then suddenly shoves her way into the story half way through.
Nov 21, 2011 5:14 PM

Aug 2011
Wildar said:
The later episodes felt to me like the writer had just gone 'oh btw guys Kaede is crazy lol'. She seems a perfectly nice character through out and then suddenly goes completely mad, and it just spoilt the whole thing for me, instead of resolving things between her and Rin in a happy ending way she just gets destroyed. Asa is barley even a character for half the series, she just appears occasionally, says some meaningless stuff and then suddenly shoves her way into the story half way through.

Yep. Pretty much this.

The only forshadowing of Kaede's insanity is a really short, really vague flashback-dream-thing.
May 6, 2012 3:00 PM

Mar 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Yep. Pretty much this.

The only forshadowing of Kaede's insanity is a really short, really vague flashback-dream-thing.

It wasn't that short, it was several minutes showing Kaede abusing and torturing Rin that lasted between 3-5 years. We aren't show what year in middle school they were in, but the crappy domestic situation lasted for several years. They were 9 years old (17-8) when the car accident occured, and middle school in Japan happens when kids are 12-15. Do the math, she had probably destroyed or ruined most if not all of Rin's toys or anything that brought happiness. Remember that boat he built over the course of the story? Kaede kept breaking his models when they were young and that actually brought about her finding the picture.

Regardless of how much of a doormat she is now, her past actions are basically unforgivable to a kid growing up. Rin took all of her punishment, not saying anything to adults and letting her keep doing it if it gave her a purpose in life, even if that purpose was to hate him. Even if she said "I'm sorry" 20 times in a flashback, that doesn't make up for what she had done, ever.

People who say they should have gotten together and all that bullshit, have you ever had an abusive partner/sibling? You either fear them, hate them, or both. Rin probably felt both towards Kaede even after her "transformation," but kept on a cheerful face for her sake.

While most people probably dream of a Yamato Nadeshiko wife like Kaede, Rin knew of what she had done in the past and her dark side. I imagine he wanted a normal partner like Asa, as both were good friends before getting together in the anime. Someone like Kaede... could hardly be described as Rin's friend, even though they lived together for so long. He was merely acting his part out so Kaede wouldn't fall back into that "lost the will to live" coma that happens to her and Padme.

By the way, the VN had the abuse backstory as well concerning Kaede/Rin, so it wasn't like it was pulled out of nowhere. The torture he endured clearly occurred and is canon. However, she does not revert to her Yandere self in the VN like happened in the anime. It is probably the biggest reason why Rin didn't think of her romantically and never will unless you play the VN and forgive her yourself. Remember that it occurred over the space of years and wasn't just a few incidents like they showed us. It was daily torture he had to endure, sometimes verbal, sometimes physical, and often mentally.
Behold, as a wild ass in the desert, go I forth to my work.
May 21, 2012 6:04 PM
Mar 2012
My biggest bother in regards to Kaede and really all the girls is how they are treated by Rin..the guy is an inconsiderate douche and never changes...Kaede was someone,IMO, that felt ashamed of what she did and forced herself to pay him back tenfold. Yet he never considered it as so and continually failed to understand her even though they lived together for so many years...

Honestly, I hope that there's an upcoming movie where a) he gets run over or b) he ends up alone realizing how he has abused all of their relationship and care for him...

....well, at the very least he picked my favorite girl in the show.
Jun 2, 2012 1:14 AM

Nov 2009
styr said:
DraconisMarch said:
Yep. Pretty much this.

It wasn't that short, it was several minutes showing Kaede abusing and torturing Rin that lasted between 3-5 years. We aren't show what year in middle school they were in, but the crappy domestic situation lasted for several years. They were 9 years old (17-8) when the car accident occured, and middle school in Japan happens when kids are 12-15. Do the math, she had probably destroyed or ruined most if not all of Rin's toys or anything that brought happiness. Remember that boat he built over the course of the story? Kaede kept breaking his models when they were young and that actually brought about her finding the picture.

Regardless of how much of a doormat she is now, her past actions are basically unforgivable to a kid growing up. Rin took all of her punishment, not saying anything to adults and letting her keep doing it if it gave her a purpose in life, even if that purpose was to hate him. Even if she said "I'm sorry" 20 times in a flashback, that doesn't make up for what she had done, ever.

People who say they should have gotten together and all that bullshit, have you ever had an abusive partner/sibling? You either fear them, hate them, or both. Rin probably felt both towards Kaede even after her "transformation," but kept on a cheerful face for her sake.

While most people probably dream of a Yamato Nadeshiko wife like Kaede, Rin knew of what she had done in the past and her dark side. I imagine he wanted a normal partner like Asa, as both were good friends before getting together in the anime. Someone like Kaede... could hardly be described as Rin's friend, even though they lived together for so long. He was merely acting his part out so Kaede wouldn't fall back into that "lost the will to live" coma that happens to her and Padme.

By the way, the VN had the abuse backstory as well concerning Kaede/Rin, so it wasn't like it was pulled out of nowhere. The torture he endured clearly occurred and is canon. However, she does not revert to her Yandere self in the VN like happened in the anime. It is probably the biggest reason why Rin didn't think of her romantically and never will unless you play the VN and forgive her yourself. Remember that it occurred over the space of years and wasn't just a few incidents like they showed us. It was daily torture he had to endure, sometimes verbal, sometimes physical, and often mentally.

I couldnt agree more with this statement. I couldnt stand Kaede, her following despite all the horrible things she did to Rin in the past sickens me. I can understand people thinking it's great to have a girl like that because she is an anime character but thinking realistically I wouldn't have her within 100 metres of me. Whenever I think of Kaede I think of the whole blade on the stairs thing, really can't see how people think that a girl who would do that to someone would be the ideal girl for him. Don't get me wrong, I think Rin should have picked Sia as a first choice but I'm not in disagreement with him picking Asa. At least she is normal and would never hurt him.
Jun 22, 2012 1:58 AM
Oct 2008
Alright now that I finished the series I will give my view on this topic. The way I see it, Rin viewed Kaede as a sister figure rather than a lover throughout the series, therefore, she never should have been considered as a candidate for his heart in the first place.

For those who wonder why he chose Asa, look back at the Primula mini arc because to me that arc was the defining moment due to how she was able to guide Rin when he was feeling uncertain about what to do. At the time, none of the other girls were able to support Rin the way Asa did and he relied heavily on her guidance. Also let's not forget when Asa stood up against all the other girls for not understanding Rin's feelings.

At first I was confident Sia would win, until the events of the Primula arc took place. Overall, I believe Rin made the right choice because Asa was the one who understood his feelings better than anyone else.
Jun 22, 2012 6:17 AM

Mar 2009
Usually, i hate Kaede's type of character...but she's an exemption!!! I adored Kaede alot..even from watching the first episode..i was like "please let her end up with the main guy chara ..knowing of course this was a harem..and having watched alot of animes made me forge the conlclusion that usually this "setting" will most likely turn to Kaede's favor..as she is the childhood friend..i was hopeful and confident the Rin will eventually fall for her or rather is already in love with her...or so i assumed..

but.....my God!! what happened!!! What did you do to kaede! he shouldn't be treated that way..yes, she had wronged Rin, but she did her best to make up for it...RIN!! i hate you!! i had difficulty sleeping afte watching the few remaining episodes..it was even really hard for me to stomach what i was seeing...

deep down, i wa still hoping that in the end, Rin would realize that his true love was kaede!!! DAMN that ASA!!! She's really sly!! Supporting each and every girl that was in love with Rin, when in SHE was the one head over heels for him!!! She's a monster! she even admitted that fact to KAede!!

And Rin!!! how could he do that to Kaede!!! HE took Kaede for granted and made a complete fool out of her...i was really saddened by Kaede's plight...good thing PRIMULA was there to support her..she was kind enough to care for Kaede, a display of loyalty if you asked me..

but in the end, it was the author's decisionto come up with these outcomes..At least he/she could have the decency to not let kaede suffer trhough such horrible events with terrible people!! grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 22, 2012 6:52 AM
Dec 2007
Kaede was a nutcase, face the music already.

Jan 19, 2013 3:01 AM

Jan 2013
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I agree with most of what is said here.

Didn't make sense how Kaede couldn't ever just tell him how she felt, but I mean, that's a pretty common thing in Anime. Characters are always obstinate and stupid about just handling easy situations. It's more dramatic that way.

Season 2 seemed like they knew they wouldnt have enough time to do the series anymore and did a crazy out of nowhere psycho ending.

He had just told the two God/Demon girls tha the wasnt sure who he loved, and then BOOM he randomly loves Asa and for like 3 episodes the 2 girls arent even in the anime while Kaede randomly turns into a sadistic ex murderer.

All in all I respect Shuffle for being the first Harem anime to actually portray the pain and jealousy that would be going on in such a scenario.
Aug 20, 2013 12:14 AM
Aug 2013
Alright, I was going to post here and say I felt kinda bad for Kaede so far cause shes been there for Rin for so long doing all she does for him.

But it seems I have more to learn about her lol. (Only at ep12 right now)

I wonder if I am missing something though I dont think so, as I am finished ep 16 now, though it seems sia is getting a bit crazy o.o
dasichriAug 20, 2013 2:02 AM
Aug 26, 2013 8:52 PM

Aug 2013
I can't say that Kaede is bad or Asa is bad. They both are pretty good and i like them. But i feel sad for Kaede no matter what.
Sep 7, 2013 7:58 AM

Sep 2013
I just watched the ending of this anime and i cryed so much because RIN THE DOUCHEBAG didnt pick Kaede and then when i was crying trough the credits sia kisses kaede !!!!! WTF they cant leave us on such a cliffhanger like that :( im so fucking sad i only continued to watch the anime past a certain point because of Kaede i wich i had just quit cause now i feel like im dying from the inside .
Sep 20, 2013 7:44 AM

Apr 2011
styr said:

Wow I can't believe people are still replying to this two and a half years later!

Sorry to dig up your year old post, but yours was the most thoughtfully written, and I actually enjoyed reading it.

Looking a quarter of a decade back, it's hard for me to form any kind of counter-argument at all, due to the fact that I honestly just don't remember a lot about the show. I do remember how crushed I was though, and upon reading my old post I vaguely remember my frustrations.

Your points, however, didn't have a lot to say on those frustrations themselves, but had more to do with the core issues surrounding Rin and Kaede's past. I can't say that I completely agree with everything your post said, but I mostly definitely can't contest the logic behind it.

It's just that I find it sad to think someone couldn't be forgiven, even given the severity of what she did. Now, granted, I've never been in a situation quite that bad. But I know myself and my personal habits/philosophies/whatever well enough to assume that given some time, and given the level of dedication that Kaede puts forth after she finds out, I'm fairly certain I'd have no problems at all forgiving her for what happened. It might take me a while to trust her after everything, but my point is that I hope not everyone on the planet would begrudgingly keep her at a distance just because of past issues. Issues that are honestly and earnestly trying to be apologized for (and for years, I might add).

When my parents divorced I went through some very dark times in my life, and although I'm not a hostile person by nature, for a short time I turned into someone I do not respect now. Although Kaede's character obviously took this to extreme levels, her suffering was also on a different level than mine because it involved the complete loss of her family - not just the separation of it.

So, although I don't condone what she did during that time, I can rationalize and somewhat empathize with suffering and what it does to people. I would find it sad, and honestly kind of pathetic, if my family (my brother in particular since he got the brunt of a lot of it) had been unable to forgive me for actions that occurred during a period where I probably wasn't all myself. It's understandable that they might not have, but yeah.

That's all I can really say on the matter. Obviously the issue has traveled a little away from the show itself, but I enjoy interesting conversations like this, so I hope I haven't bored you or wasted time!

Thanks for the replies guys. =]

- Celtic
Sep 20, 2013 10:37 AM

Sep 2012
if u have not seen it to the end then this mite spoil this anime a bit to u, well it spoils only Kade's & Rin's Background story, their Past, people who have seen full series already know what i'm talking about

My reason why i think Kade is wrong choice for Rin is in that Spoiler, i seen full series 4-5 times already

Sugram22Oct 10, 2013 2:57 PM
Oct 3, 2013 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
if i would have say'd all this when i so it first or second time, people would have started arguing with me about it a lot, but new new posts are rare
Oct 8, 2013 5:10 AM
Sep 2013
So first couple episodes I had my assumption that of course Kaede was going to end up with Rin, because in most animes you ever watch, the person who's like the childhood friend or has been with that person for a very long time tends to usually be the one who the main character picks in the end. But to my surprise I didn't see that kind of ending coming, and after reading some of these posts, I now understand the reasons behind Rin's choice. Asa was probably the right decision to make out of all them to be honest with Sia being a second choice, seeing how she was the only one to get as close as she did to Rin. Reasons why is because, first off he just met Nerine and Sia again for the first time in a while. Obviously Primula gives that appearance of looking like a kid. And Kade did do all those terrible things to Rin even though she tried to make it up to him by basically being a wife like figure and taking care of him. I honestly think from Rin's point of view I personally wouldn't be so quickly inclined to fall in love with someone after all those terrible things she had done, it takes time for wounds like that to heal. Asa like most had pointed out has been there for Rin through everything he was going through and did her best to comfort him when he needed someone, he also has known her since they first met in Middle School which gave her more of an advantage because they both had time to get to know each other longer than anyone else with the exception of Kade. You could also come to the conclusion that she was able to understand what Rin was going through with the Primula arc because her mom was the very first person to be experimented on, so in that sense she knew how to comfort Rin when Sia and Nerine just kept on ignoring him and wouldn't tell him what was really going on with Primula even though they wanted too but couldn't.
Skylifter7Oct 8, 2013 5:14 AM
Dec 2, 2013 11:30 PM
Nov 2013
I don't hate that he chose Asa....me personally I would have chosen Sia. That said, I do feel awful about how the story ended for Kaede, though in Memories it seems like they are all having fun again (even though it seemed when Kaede got the cleaver they were flirting with her losing it yet again.....). I personally think the best ending would have been him being a bit more aware of her fragile mental state and trying to let her down a bit easier than he did. The night she came to his room butt naked and laid next to him, would have been the time to talk to her and tell her that he loved her but not in a romantic way. Instead he runs off and when he comes back (knowing she is on the edge of becoming a mental case) tells her oh btw...I am moving out. Nothing quite like seeing someone on the edge of a cliff and trying to push them that final few inches off.....

The ideal ending in my view would have been Kaede realizing that Rin is not the only fish in the sea even if he is a great guy.....I'd have liked to see it end with her finding love with someone else.
Dec 3, 2013 7:56 AM

Apr 2011
KintaroOe said:
The ideal ending in my view would have been Kaede realizing that Rin is not the only fish in the sea even if he is a great guy.....I'd have liked to see it end with her finding love with someone else.

This seems reasonable. It would have made it a lot less painful to watch than it was watching Kaede suffer like that. I think I still would have been pretty frustrated at the time when he didn't pick Kaede, but looking back at the show years after watching it I think it's fair to say that Rin made a pretty solid choice in Asa.

(Even if that bitch stole him from Kaede... >_> xD... Jokes, jokes. BUT REALLY, go die Asa! :P)
Aug 6, 2016 11:54 AM
Dec 2013
Only if those awful memories were not happened in the past, I think Kaede is the best person who can be choosen....

I think in reality, her efforts to take care Rin for last 8 years was too unfair if she didn't get something "valuable" after that. I'm also not hate Asa, because of her kindness to (finally) understand how is Kaede's feel all the time.

After all, I'd rather blame for Rin's undecisive behaviour amongst girls almost throughout of the series, and his decision fot choose Asa in the end was still illogical for me.... :'(
Jan 17, 2018 11:44 AM

Feb 2016
Life is unfair this anime just highlights this we can’t always have what we want and somethings never get resolved.
Oct 31, 2018 4:06 AM

Aug 2012
Its a good thing that useless MC Rin bastard did not end up with Kaede, she deserves a real man in life not some weak twat that would get his ass kicked by a kiddo on the street.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Nov 6, 2018 12:13 PM

Mar 2009
I won't quote the person, 'cause I'm tired of people getting p!$$y at me for responding to comments that are more than 2 months old (Seriously people! Someone posts a comment for an anime, then they get nasty if someone comes alone a few months (let alone a few years) later (having watched an old anime for the first time) and makes a comment relevant to something they said, and they act like it's a fu@k!ng crime!)- However:

Someone in 2013 commented about Sia and Kaede kissing after the end.
I actually think that's ok (I usually ship straight pairs, but I think those 2 actually fit)- also, I think that it was Kikyou who was there when they kissed. She should find happiness as well.
Sia and Kaede can both still love Rin from afar, while Kikyou can love Kaede.
I hated Kaede for the most of the series, but when she pulled herself out of her psych@-b!t@h mode she became quite likable in the last few eps.
Apr 25, 2020 9:26 AM
Oct 2019
Kaede is the best girl end of discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuffle! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

babykeiji - Apr 12, 2008

123 by Lost_Hearts »»
Dec 9, 2023 3:25 PM

Poll: » Whoelse thought Kaede was going to kill Asa

Lost_Hearts - Dec 9, 2023

0 by Lost_Hearts »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Shuffle! Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

babykeiji - Apr 12, 2008

77 by Saku33 »»
Nov 12, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Shuffle! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

voidbringer - May 27, 2008

90 by Saku33 »»
Nov 12, 2023 7:33 AM

Poll: » Shuffle! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

babykeiji - Apr 12, 2008

52 by Saku33 »»
Nov 12, 2023 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.