Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2011 7:34 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Horrible, just horrible.

Bad script, bad dialogues, decent visuals. What the heck did I just watch. It sure wasn't even remotely Votoms-like. This kind of directing might've passed during early 80's and even then it would be a laughable effort. And to think it was shown in theaters, what a joke.

2/10 aka 1/5

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 14, 2011 8:50 AM

Dec 2008
I thought it was OK. I didn't see the original Votoms from the 80s, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It probably would have done better as a series. I gave it a 5/10.
Apr 15, 2011 10:03 AM

Mar 2008
Damn I do not like the direction in which this series goes ... It is a pity because I had big expectations of ... If Votoms were like before...

Apr 15, 2011 5:44 PM

May 2008
It was ok I guess but honestly I don't see why add it to the votoms franchise, it has no relation, they could name it Gundam Finder and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, it's so generic.
Apr 15, 2011 6:38 PM

Feb 2005
Pretty meh, but good enough for some random Votoms action.

Really, I'd rather have these spinoffs cover some unseen part of the big war or something. These random little stories from random places doesn't really give anything to the setting as a whole.
Apr 21, 2011 10:26 PM
Apr 2010
I liked it, even if it dont connect with the original. it was awesome to see those tricks on the mechas
Jul 10, 2011 10:09 PM

Jul 2010
it was alright... haven't seen the original series, dont want to but meh

all in all pretty good visuals and story...very compacted

7/10
Dec 1, 2011 8:17 PM

Jun 2010
Literalized social strata? A scrappy dump-dwelling boy with aspirations? A "the good guys are the bad guys and vice versa" reveal halfway through? A kidnapped princess? A gallant knight?

My goodness, it's all cliches!

I really dislike how everyone uses robots for everything and they make exaggerated gestures to match the operator's emotional state. Every other VOTOMS work has ATs depicted as heavy military hardware. Why are teenagers goofing around with them? And even the Bottomer robots seem much more advanced than what we see in other VOTOMS works. what gives?

Like others have said, it doesn't feel like VOTOMS at all. They don't even call the robots "ATs". Instead, "Altos". I would have liked it a little more if they hadn't burdened me with false expectations by misappropriating the VOTOMS name.
Dec 25, 2011 10:13 AM
Apr 2010
I liked it. It was far from the best OVA I've seen but it had some decent animation. The plot was cliche but I feel like the directors did this on purpose because they were mostly focused on the mecha combat, Which was awesome in my opinion. That's where this OVA shines.

The producers took a bold risk by making the mechs so different than anything else in the votoms universe and I feel like this was more of a launchpad for ideas. It's a shame we'll probably never see designs like this again, Cause I would totally watch a full series featuring them. Everything from the way they looked to the weapons they were outfitted with and the way they were utilized in combat just felt like they were really trying to do something different that would catch the eye of both old-school votoms fans and new fans alike. It's a shame that this will go overlooked and will be soon forgotten.

Final score 6/10
merowlinkFeb 8, 2012 5:01 PM
Mar 11, 2012 6:48 PM

Nov 2007
You guys have no love.
This short OVA was amazing, they actually had the balls to try this. Shonen VOTOMS with fairy tale elements, and the smoothest combat animation the franchise has ever seen, it's just beautiful.
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
Mar 25, 2016 4:08 AM
Jul 2011
I really liked this OVA: light hearted action adventure with great visuals and music.

Nothing in common with Votoms except some likeness in the vehicles but is was total fun. I prefer it to the previous Code Geass treatment.
Sep 11, 2019 7:30 PM

Jun 2014
This wasn't too bad. It was certainly better than "Case;Irvine."

There were no Scopedogs, but that's okay. It was interesting to see some different AT designs, called "Altos" in this OVA. The visuals were done quite good for CGI, and the only problem that I can really find, is that is was too short. If this were a long-running series, it could've been something truly incredible.

This is truly underrated. Aki may not be Chirico, but he's still pretty cool.

More topics from this board

» Why noone subbed this?

lakisa - Apr 4, 2011

1 by Swaps4 »»
Apr 13, 2011 2:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.