Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2011 2:02 PM

May 2009
Even though I'm a fan of Mamoru's works I still think he doesn't fit the character. The fact that nowadays he just voices everyone and anyone doesn't help much either.
Apr 5, 2011 3:36 PM

Nov 2010
Very interesting show and characters, look forward to what exactly happens in this one.
Apr 5, 2011 4:12 PM

May 2010
after half this gets interesting ^^ I'm looking forward to next episodes ;D

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Apr 5, 2011 4:58 PM

Sep 2010
Time travel... I'm not even going to try to make sense out of it.
Apr 5, 2011 5:14 PM

Aug 2010
"dooooooooooooctor!!!"

That was an awesome episode, so glad i waited for the 720p.
Apr 5, 2011 8:39 PM

Jul 2010
Miya_F_Exia said:
Even though I'm a fan of Mamoru's works I still think he doesn't fit the character. The fact that nowadays he just voices everyone and anyone doesn't help much either.

Miyano Mamoru voiced Okabe Rintarou since the game was released back in 2009. The original casting for the game are all back in the anime. and what's more, Steins;Gate has been praised also in the field of character voices since the seiyuus portrayed every character amazingly. ^^

and by far, for me, this is his most amazing voice acting ever since Yagami Light. ^^
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 5, 2011 8:50 PM

Jul 2009
AmberFebruary said:
Miya_F_Exia said:

Miyano Mamoru voiced Okabe Rintarou since the game was released back in 2009. The original casting for the game are all back in the anime. and what's more, Steins;Gate has been praised also in the field of character voices since the seiyuus portrayed every character amazingly. ^^

and by far, for me, this is his most amazing voice acting ever since Yagami Light. ^^
This. Who else can portray a "chuninbyou" greatly if not by him. Some of people that never watch his performance in anime but play the VN praising his godlike voice-acting, at least from visual-novel gamers.
Apr 5, 2011 8:57 PM
Apr 5, 2011 9:32 PM

Oct 2007
1/10

NEEDS OP BY nao.
Apr 5, 2011 9:57 PM

Feb 2008
Pretty good. This is miles better than the Chaos;Head anime, at least.
Apr 5, 2011 10:23 PM

Nov 2008
This certainly wasn't an intriguing experience. I couldn't help but feel like it was trying too hard to be creepy to the point of being quite silly and pretentious. And what's Japan's infatuation with lost memories and time travel and like? Can they tell a decent mystery without clutching on those tropes?
Apr 5, 2011 10:35 PM

Dec 2010
Wow I was like super lost. I tried following it as much as possible but I lost the ability to comprehend somewhere down the line...

Characters so far are pretty good although nothing special.

The ending was confusing as hell though...

I guess it's basically like this: Okarin experiences all these future events happen to him with what he feels to be current events. His fat friend tells him that he sent several text messages to him about a week ago regarding Makise's murder but at the end we see she is alive.

I'm guessing it means that he is a clairevoyant - being able to see in the future and send information to the past where the story is narrated with his phone or living in what is considered to be the future as his present life but sending it to the real past....

I don't know what I'm talkig about anymore. Lol I just hope I get a better uderstanding soon

Apr 5, 2011 11:58 PM

Jul 2010
FoxyRoxy said:
This certainly wasn't an intriguing experience. I couldn't help but feel like it was trying too hard to be creepy to the point of being quite silly and pretentious. And what's Japan's infatuation with lost memories and time travel and like? Can they tell a decent mystery without clutching on those tropes?

it wasn't trying too hard for anything, it is its nature

as this series progress i'm sure people will come to hate it
i mean this series is not for everyone and especially for those trying to look forward for a straight to the point explanation for everything that is happening and the shitty things that will happen

in relation to the game,it is said by reviewers and critics that if you didn't like the demo, you wouldn't "survive through the game"
and if you don't like the anime's first episode, "you might as well drop this"

and don't try solving the things that have happened in just one episode, everything will be cleared as the series progresses
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 6, 2011 12:20 AM

Jan 2009
AmberFebruary said:
i mean this series is not for everyone and especially for those trying to look forward for a straight to the point explanation for everything that is happening and the shitty things that will happen
Well, people are already hating it.
But hey, let's leave the haters alone, and then we'll laugh at them when this turns out to be the season's best anime. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 6, 2011 12:58 AM

Nov 2008
AmberFebruary said:
FoxyRoxy said:

in relation to the game,it is said by reviewers and critics that if you didn't like the demo, you wouldn't "survive through the game"

and don't try solving the things that have happened in just one episode, everything will be cleared as the series progresses

The nature of this series is to be silly and pretentious? If so, then it's no wonder why one wouldn't exactly be too enthusiastic with it's initial offering. Too many ideas were thrown together with not much continuity involved, rendering most, like myself, in a state of confusion as to what it was trying to achieve besides introducing us to a hackneyed plot with equally hackneyed characters.
Apr 6, 2011 1:27 AM

Aug 2009
Oosran said:
But hey, let's leave the haters alone, and then we'll laugh at them when this turns out to be the season's best anime. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
I truly believe that, knowing about Steins;Gate's extreme popularity and standpoint as kami-ge.
Apr 6, 2011 1:48 AM

Jul 2009
so far so good, i cant wake and see how this show progresses. and a banana in a microwave does not make it turn green and slimy, it just ripens it.
Apr 6, 2011 2:03 AM

Jul 2010
FoxyRoxy said:
AmberFebruary said:
FoxyRoxy said:

The nature of this series is to be silly and pretentious? If so, then it's no wonder why one wouldn't exactly be too enthusiastic with it's initial offering. Too many ideas were thrown together with not much continuity involved, rendering most, like myself, in a state of confusion as to what it was trying to achieve besides introducing us to a hackneyed plot with equally hackneyed characters.

the fact that you're rambling like this proves that the first episode have achieved it's purpose, and it drove you mad. :P
Apr 6, 2011 3:26 AM

Aug 2010
Interesting premise. Looking forward to how it goes. Steins gate has great potential but it could go downhill very quickly.
Apr 6, 2011 3:33 AM

Nov 2008
AmberFebruary said:
FoxyRoxy said:
AmberFebruary said:
FoxyRoxy said:

the fact that you're rambling like this proves that the first episode have achieved it's purpose, and it drove you mad. :P

Or rather, it succeeded in feeding its inadequate drivel to a much deserving individual like yourself.
Apr 6, 2011 3:34 AM

Mar 2010
ahhh atama itai...cool start but whats happening??
Geso
-----:D
Apr 6, 2011 3:45 AM

Aug 2009
FoxyRoxy said:
AmberFebruary said:

Or rather, it succeeded in feeding its inadequate drivel to a much deserving individual like yourself.

I apologize instead for him, for being one of those who hypes the series.. The second worst example of S;G fans' attitude on INTERNET is possibly about flaming someone for different opinion and calling "i know mor than u!! u suck forr not sayin its gud!".

Of course, the worst is someone who post spoilers.

billng said:
Interesting premise. Looking forward to how it goes. Steins gate has great potential but it could go downhill very quickly.

but I can promise it won't go downhill.

... unless staffs again decides to ruin the series just like madhouse did...
Apr 6, 2011 4:29 AM
Apr 2010
This show has great potential, looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 6, 2011 5:11 AM

Jul 2010
ringoo4 said:
FoxyRoxy said:
AmberFebruary said:

I apologize instead for him, for being one of those who hypes the series.. The second worst example of S;G fans' attitude on INTERNET is possibly about flaming someone for different opinion and calling "i know mor than u!! u suck forr not sayin its gud!".

Of course, the worst is someone who post spoilers.

it is not my "direct intent" ringoo4 but i guess you see it as that i'll leave it as it is. ^^
Apr 6, 2011 5:19 AM

Nov 2010
really enjoyed this episode and cant wait for the next one

Im so happy this has 24 episodes!
Apr 6, 2011 5:34 AM

Nov 2009
we hv a winning anime tis spring......
Apr 6, 2011 6:24 AM

Sep 2008
FoxyRoxy said:
Or rather, that deserving individual may have already read the visual novel and knows that "drivel" is actually all part of the greater genius plot of the anime that you completely misunderstand from the first episode.
Apr 6, 2011 6:54 AM

Nov 2008
5layer said:
FoxyRoxy said:
Or rather, that deserving individual may have already read the visual novel and knows that "drivel" is actually all part of the greater genius plot of the anime that you completely misunderstand from the first episode.

Or rather, I haven't read the visual novel, and after watching the first episode, I can say for certain that there's no forthcoming "genius" plot in sight.
Apr 6, 2011 6:57 AM

Aug 2009
It doesn't matter arguing now since it is only 1st episode ._.

There are fanboys, there are haters. Fans will expect genius plot, haters will expect kuso plot. Done, if someone disliked this episode, that's it.
Apr 6, 2011 7:17 AM

Nov 2008
ringoo4 said:
There are fanboys, there are haters. Fans will expect genius plot, haters will expect kuso plot. Done, if someone disliked this episode, that's it.

I like how you just asserted your opinion on how everyone is supposed to choose one side or the other and not have any discussions at all. This is a discussion board after all. You know, where people discuss their thoughts and opinions with each other? So, you see, not everyone wants to be a closed-minded seedling who doesn't want/like to exchange opposing opinions about what they like.
Apr 6, 2011 7:22 AM

Sep 2008
FoxyRoxy said:
...and after watching the first episode, I can say for certain that there's no forthcoming "genius" plot in sight.
Read what you just said. I'm sure you'll laugh too. Your amazing ability to predict 23 coming episodes of content from something that made no sense to you is pretty amazing I must say.
Apr 6, 2011 8:10 AM

Nov 2008
5layer said:
FoxyRoxy said:
...and after watching the first episode, I can say for certain that there's no forthcoming "genius" plot in sight.
Read what you just said. I'm sure you'll laugh too. Your amazing ability to predict 23 coming episodes of content from something that made no sense to you is pretty amazing I must say.

What I said was that I questioned what the show was trying to accomplish besides introducing a few lazily implemented ideas and characters. The story didn't confuse me, just the intent of the episode.

If something is bad from the beginning, odds are that it'll be bad seven, fourteen, twenty one episodes down the line.
Apr 6, 2011 8:12 AM

Feb 2009
FoxyRoxy said:

I like how you just asserted your opinion on how everyone is supposed to choose one side or the other and not have any discussions at all. This is a discussion board after all. You know, where people discuss their thoughts and opinions with each other? So, you see, not everyone wants to be a closed-minded seedling who doesn't want/like to exchange opposing opinions about what they like.

Shouldn't we make assumptions as to what path this story will take? Calling something ''pretentious and silly'' hardly invites people to further dialogue. We should ''actually'' try to start a discussion, not a half-assed ''This is shit-No, it's not- Yes, it is!'' babble disguised as a quasi-objective appreciation of quality.

An exchange implies that both parties are mutually sharing something for their own benefit.

You're free to voice your complaints, but I don't think voicing your complaints can pass as a serious discussion/opinion exchange.
Urufuzu_reinApr 6, 2011 9:20 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Apr 6, 2011 8:19 AM

Jul 2010
Enlightenment for those who have no info about the game:

-As for 2009, Famitsu awarded Steins;Gate as "Annual Game of Excellence Award."

-Steins;Gate placed fourth in overall Xbox 360 game sales on Amazon Japan on the year starting on December 1, 2008 and ending November 30, 2009.

-Senji Ishii of Famitsu Xbox 360 praised the scenario for its detail and noted that "events that were overlooked as insignificant" later returned to affect events of the future.Due to the way the plot ties the many different events of the game together, Ishii believes it must have been a lot of work to write the scenarios.

-ITmedia Gamez noted that players should be attentive to "all the details in the story" as the twists will surprise the player in many different ways.

-The review did caution that players who have played through the demo and who did not enjoy the atmosphere of the game were not likely to find the rest of the game interesting.

all incited from Wiki.

so basically, a VN is the "hardest to adapt" into an anime format, and White Fox just picked one of the "most complicated" VN out there.With the way White Fox handled the game-to-anime adaptation of Tears to Tiara and light novel-to-anime adaptation of Katanagatari,w/c are "very good adaptations" they have shown their true potential, and w/ promising staff in hand, along w/ their amazing production team handling Steins;Gate, and w/ a source material that is "very promising", this anime already shows that it has "potential" to be good, if not, one of the best you'll ever see this year.
AmberFebruaryApr 6, 2011 8:42 AM
Apr 6, 2011 8:35 AM

Jun 2009
Mixed feeling after this episode. Kinda meh overall, and not much happened, but it wasn't bad. Still, i'm not sure whether i'll watch it or drop it for the hell of it and wait for vn to get translation. The best part is obviously all-star voice cast, the just win so much, just liek OP and ED.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 6, 2011 8:49 AM

Jun 2008
Don't know anything about the show but the moment that girl asked him what he wanted to tell her 15 minutes ago i immediately thought:"Oh! we are gonna have a mess of time travel and time sequences that will be hard to keep up" and that's exactly what it looks like. i just hope that they ain't gonna make it so out there than will have no logic whatsoever and we won't be able to keep track.

I have no comment on the personalities of the characters since i still want to see how they develop and as they are, they seem intriguing but could get annoying depending on development. Loved their design though. Nice artwork there, very pleasant to my eyes.
Apr 6, 2011 9:50 AM

Jul 2008
This first episode was a mess and i'm not talking about the thriller aspect of the episode. It felt forced.
The premise may be interesting but the production values are average at best and it couldn't hurt to have better direction.
Basically it's the same problem as Index: It emphase too much on the non-important thing and not enough on the important plot point.
Would rather have 15 min of plot and 5 min of sillyness than the opposite.

I'm just talking about the first episode, the show may get better and I hope it will.
I guess I had too much expectation over this.
Apr 6, 2011 10:15 AM

Jul 2010
Ginga-Bishoujo said:

Basically it's the same problem as Index: It emphase too much on the non-important thing and not enough on the important plot point.
Would rather have 15 min of plot and 5 min of sillyness than the opposite.

this. but the one thing you'll notice about Steins;Gate is that the character interactions and scenes are light-hearted and they look like they are messing around, unawareness in most situations (like what we have seen here in the first episode and what you said "sillyness"), but when a time shift kicks in, that's when the impact comes.,along with other messy things that will happen along with it, other than that, you will sure see a lot more "silliness" in the upcoming episodes ^^
Apr 6, 2011 11:44 AM

Jul 2010
http://steinsgate.tv/story/story01.html
so basically the episode is divided in TIPS as shown in their official site so you can keep track of the "events or things" in the show.,that might change or be something important in the future, a nice job in my opinion.

and preview for episode 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVz_B9dbvXk
looks like they will only post this in their youtube channel
and after seeing this, i'm totally excited for episode 2 ^^
Apr 6, 2011 12:22 PM

Sep 2007
Oh boy. Time travel and a VN adaptation. Things can only go so well from here. Although this episode already exceeds Chaos;Head is nearly every way, I just hope the studio is going to cover enough to not leave any ridiculously gaping plot holes.
Apr 6, 2011 12:43 PM

Mar 2011
I think that some of you are wrong.
What you are calling "non-important things" are in fact important, plot-relevant things that can help you for understanding everything.
And I think that there are already a lot of these things, personally. 5pb and nitro+ just LOVE this.

Just like chaos;head, don't watch it and nothing else. Watch it and use your head before the show tells you everything. Otherwise, both show are really average and boring.
Apr 6, 2011 1:14 PM

Jul 2008
willardhwright said:
What you are calling "non-important things" are in fact important, plot-relevant things that can help you for understanding everything.
And I think that there are already a lot of these things, personally. 5pb and nitro+ just LOVE this.

Just like chaos;head, don't watch it and nothing else. Watch it and use your head before the show tells you everything. Otherwise, both show are really average and boring.

Did I said that chaos:head was any good?
Chaos:head was one of the anime I tough had a good potential but screwed it up so much for the sake of servicing the fan with what they wanted to see : moe swordwomens and silly plotline.

I don't want this to happen to Steins:gate and I'm merely stating that the first episode wasn't good as a stand alone.
Of course it isn't a stand alone, hence why I said that it might be better latter but as for now it slightly pass above average and that's only because it's not a harem.

120/24 = 5; I don't understand your point.

When I talked about sillyness I was talking about the retarded feeling/speech the lead is giving and the scene in the appartment could have been much shorter. This time could have been used to give us a better emphasis on the actual problem which is about the time jump.
Sure it is possible to understand everything, the problem is not the plot, it is the directing.
Apr 6, 2011 1:35 PM

Mar 2011
Ginga-Bishoujo said:
willardhwright said:

Chaos:head was one of the anime I tough had a good potential but screwed it up so much for the sake of servicing the fan with what they wanted to see : moe swordwomens and silly plotline.

I don't want this to happen to Steins:gate and I'm merely stating that the first episode wasn't good as a stand alone.
Of course it isn't a stand alone, hence why I said that it might be better latter but as for now it slightly pass above average and that's only because it's not a harem.

When I talked about sillyness I was talking about the retarded feeling/speech the lead is giving and the scene in the appartment could have been much shorter. This time could have been used to give us a better emphasis on the actual problem which is about the time jump.
Sure it is possible to understand everything, the problem is not the plot, it is the directing.

Well, if I'm right in my reasonning you'll understand very soon for the 120, don't worry.
And personally I liked chaos, that's why I am saying this.

My idea is that the "trivials/useless" parts in both shows are in fact quite important, but it is not noticeable at a first view. I'm quite sure that it is even more true with steins, judging from ep1.
In other words, there are clues hidden in them.
(Ironically, the most interresting moment in ep1 is, for me, the one in the appartment, because of the gel banana...)
Apr 6, 2011 2:02 PM

Jul 2008
willardhwright said:
Ginga-Bishoujo said:
willardhwright said:

Well, if I'm right in my reasonning you'll understand very soon for the 120, don't worry.
And personally I liked chaos, that's why I am saying this.

My idea is that the "trivials/useless" parts in both shows are in fact quite important, but it is not noticeable at a first view. I'm quite sure that it is even more true with steins, judging from ep1.
In other words, there are clues hidden in them.
(Ironically, the most interresting moment in ep1 is, for me, the one in the appartment, because of the gel banana...)

The gel banana will be important, I give you that. That is also why I said that the scene could be shorter, not removed.
Of course there is things that will be important for the plot but they are surrounded with unwanted sillyness and retardness.
Apr 6, 2011 2:26 PM

Jun 2010
Didn't really like it. Although I find the time travel one of the most interesting ideas in anime/manga, this one didn't seem so... Great. But it is too early to judge.

The characters could have been better.
Apr 6, 2011 2:39 PM

Jul 2010
Great mystery going on here. Confusing, but pretty cool nonetheless. I'm going to give this a few more episodes too see if I like it.

Hashida "Dal" Itaru reminded me so much of Hirano Kouta from HotD! His voice sounds similar as well. Good to hear Hanazawa Kana as Mayuri too. I really like her voice and many of the characters she did! =)

Apr 6, 2011 3:06 PM

Jul 2008
Onyxthegreat said:
Confusing, but pretty cool nonetheless. I'm going to give this a few more episodes too see if I like it.

Same thoughts. I don't really understand much of what I just watched, but I still want to watch more.
Apr 6, 2011 5:39 PM

Oct 2010
The part where she takes the phone is so funny.
Apr 6, 2011 6:52 PM

Nov 2007
random, confusing, and awesome! I wasn't disappointed, will take some time to get a grip of what's going on though. I like the MC, and his fat otaku buddy. the airhead is all right. Nobody cares about your wives! there was another line I really liked but I have forgotten it. interesting so far though.
Apr 6, 2011 11:07 PM
Sep 2009
Well, that was really weird. Sometimes there are two many obscure camera angles that seemingly have no reason other than being weird, but other than that the show looks good. As for the story, I'm sure it will make more sense in time, though its seems that the main character is just jumping around through time or something right now. Okabe is a lot more eccentric then most main characters in shows like this. Looking forward to see were this is going.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1829 by mjjones0 »»
May 3, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Activelee - Aug 16, 2011

485 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 30, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 6, 2011

685 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Apr 28, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.