Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2011 5:38 PM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great movie, but the English subs absolutely sucked. Hopefully somebody else will be doing English subs soon.
Mar 2, 2011 6:48 PM

Apr 2010
Meh, I didn't like it. The beginning was alright but it really went downhill after about the middle. Then it became more of a "hey let's see the different cultures and remember to smile and that everyone's unique", and nothing really made sense, especially when they changed from the main plot to Chibitalia to singing Rome. Also, all the jokes were ones that were already used in the first season of Hetalia.
And that song/dance at the end. Why?
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Mar 4, 2011 11:42 AM

Mar 2009
...The dialogue was repetitive, and it was just the characters spouting off things they'd already said in a funnier context the first time (in the series), or delivering lines that... just sound like such stock lines. This is France and England. They will argue over everything in this movie, because France and England always argue, of course. Except when they don't. But they will in this movie. Over every sentence. All the time.

I mean, all the jokes were taken from the series, sure. That's annoying enough. They cranked this up by repeating the same joke multiple times within the movie, as if we had short term memory loss and would have forgotten its last usage by the time they repeated it.

"Okay, I'm the hero. You'll be my backup."

"You'll be my backup."

"You'll be my backup."

The repetitive footage drove me insane. Here is America watching his national monument being turned to white gloop, here is England doing the same, here is Russia doing the same, etc, etc, etc. We've got eight main characters, so we can fill up time by showing them doing the same things!

Seems to a few similarities between this and Himaruya's Christmas 2010, with Himaruya doing things better imho... Canada and Cuba teaming up to figure out what was going on and help with the situation was done particularly better in that strip. Sealand being badass was done in both. Other things, but the whole crisis is just done better, because there was actually kind of a sense of 'oh no, what's happening' and characters giving a damn about each other. In the movie, we see a bunch of countries turned to white gloopy aliens and NOBODY seems to care! Veneziano does not care his brother turned into a white gloopy alien thing! The hero in Christmas 2010 was better, too. This is because in the movie the hero is, of course, Italy. Who could've guessed the hero would be Italy.

Could just be me, though.

Also, I've known for months that Prussia wouldn't play a big part in the movie, but what is with all that promotional material for the movie featuring Prussia? He also sings the movie's main theme, and when you click for information on the movie on the main site he's the character who pops up. I guess it was impossible for him to show up much, because they didn't have much to recycle from him at the time.

One thing I did like was how they would give us a few seconds of each character to truly give us deep insight into each nation and their reactions to an international crisis, and remind us some countries exist beyond the eight main ones. Then they are no longer needed in the film. Fantastic idea.
Canada: (Dare?) I'm Canada da yo, something about being unnoticed.
Ukraine: I'm the Ukraine and I have large tracts of land. Boing.
Belarus: Psychotic incestuous love, etc.
Finland: (in a Santa outfit) something about Christmas. moi moi.
Switzerland: I'm Swiss, and I don't give a fuck about anyone else. -tea sip- x2

More seriously, it made me wonder if Prussia gets along well with Russia's sisters in canon despite him absolutely hating Russia, and honestly wonder about the show he was setting up. I suppose nothing in this movie can be considered canon really though, or will ever be explained... oh well.

ClaptrapMar 4, 2011 8:20 PM
Mar 7, 2011 10:05 PM

May 2010
The start made me think there would be lots of new characters/characters not seen so often. Sadly not.

It was ok, could have been better, but I enjoyed it.

And I love Sealand, so it's always good to see him.
Mar 9, 2011 1:27 AM

Jan 2010
whats whit Switzerland having a force field that they cant go thought ? [Why only Swiss?]

well great movie .

And swine lake was hilarious !
Mar 9, 2011 8:20 PM

May 2010
Only switzerland because switzerland is famous for being mega neutral for ever and ever.

And, was there any point to Icelands appearance at all? Like, what...?
Mar 9, 2011 8:36 PM

Jul 2010
pretty good movie, its weird seeing hetalia with plot. Though it was filled with so much holes and was weird as hell lol

Rome's visual kei song at the end was FUNNY as hell lol

7/10
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Mar 13, 2011 6:32 PM

Apr 2007
Frick that was a terrible movie. I love the Hetalia series, but this movie took everything that makes the mini episodes great and destroyed it. They refused to come up with any new jokes, instead just reusing all the originals (England and France dont get along, America is loud, Italy likes to surrender, so on) to death when they weren't even funny to begin with since they've already been done in the episodes. The plot was crap and when the movie ended there was absolutely nothing for me to take from it; not even the feeling that I had even just watched anything in the least bit substantial.

All in all I had no idea how a Hetalia movie could even work, being that the episodes are just random jokes since its adapted off a 4koma; so in the end, it couldn't.

A disappointed 4/10
Mar 14, 2011 8:53 AM

May 2009
This is just like the powerpuff girls episode where the joker guy turns everything into monochrome gloop and you have to play loud music and use crayons to color them back in to save the world.

4/10
Mar 14, 2011 9:18 AM

Apr 2007
Kirroha said:
This is just like the powerpuff girls episode where the joker guy turns everything into monochrome gloop and you have to play loud music and use crayons to color them back in to save the world.

Hahaha, it is exactly like that! I forgot about that episode, thanks for the nostalgia.
Mar 22, 2011 6:47 AM
Jul 2008
Grandpa Rome scene was the best thing in this movie. DMC flashbacks hahahaha :D
Apr 23, 2011 12:03 AM

Apr 2011
NO POLAND, ROMANO, AND FINLAND.

Lols for the barrier of netralitly.

UNF England in that red jumpsuit. Dayum he is fine.

America speaks Alien. :D

Thank you for bringing sanity to my Hetalia Germany.

France finishing England's sentences, yep it's the end alright.

Italy's white flags finally have a use! I cried.

Yeah for Canada!

LOLOMG THE RUSSIAN BALLET PART!

OMG America-kun in a suit! *Squee*

DAMN YOUR SCONES ENGLAND.

Messy haired Germany! *Faints*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! EVERYONE!
WHY!?

ITALY JUST SAVED THE GOD DAMN WORLD GIVE HIM A F****ING HUG GERMANY!

8/10 <(^^<)
Apr 27, 2011 2:47 PM

Jul 2010
I loooooved the movie, Italia was sooooooooo adorable and cuteee! <3
Doitsu was the only one to realize that Italia was the one who would be able to save the world and LOL at the random song of Rome xD

_O_ The Bon Festival Dance, best song ever I've heard in a while but what are the lyrics? :(
May 5, 2011 1:54 AM

Dec 2009
Nice.

Overall:7/10

May 22, 2011 12:39 PM

Apr 2009
True, Italia was as cute as always. And when he started drawing faces on those aliens, it really cheered me up. ^^

Apart from that, the beginning was super-boring and I was about to drop it, but I told myself I wouldn't be honest in my opinion if I didn't watch it till the end. And although I think they could do a better job (well, I didn't know what to expect from a movie based on a manga practically without a plot so...), I actually enjoyed myself watching this. Still has good moments.
Jul 16, 2011 5:06 AM

Apr 2011
I actually liked it. Would have liked to have actually seen Ukraine and Belarus perform that song though.

Also, lol at Switzerland's Permanent Barrier Of Neutrality...or whatever it was called.I wonder how it was created.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Aug 31, 2011 2:38 PM

Dec 2009
It was really nice, Rome's song made my day. 8/10
Oct 22, 2011 4:32 AM
Aug 2009
looved Italy and Grandpa Roman Empire was hilarious Bon dance was good too kinda all failed when they entered the spaceship. Switzaland could have helped ya know Barrier of Neautrality prevails.Who wants a pen??
Dec 25, 2011 8:35 PM

Apr 2007
This movie was just loads of fun :D It has been so long since I watched any Hetalia and it just reminded me why I like it so much. I'll have to rewatch it in a few weeks with the English dub this time :3 Only thing that bothered me is that the piktonian or whatevs at the end looked way too much like Len. The outfit, the hair, just about everything is the same!

Also that Tony, what a dirty mouth he has...
May 28, 2012 10:49 AM

Jul 2010
It was all right... There were definitely nice and funny parts, but there was just so much reused material from the show I found it boring sometimes. Getting a 7 from me.
Mar 24, 2013 4:05 PM

Nov 2011
>Watching it for first 5 minutes.
Mind = blown. Dat faceless beings.

Eh, I thought overall the movie was okay. I find the premise of the "Pictonians" to be VERY strange although it's nice to see most of the main characters and hell..even the supporting ones in this.

I had to face palm myself during many of the 'action scenes'. Lol, can't take this serious at all especially with a frying pan as a weapon. LOL.

6/10 overall. Weak ending.
May 3, 2015 5:30 PM

Oct 2013
that was horrible, it's the first time for me to take 2 days to finish a single movie :/
I love Hetalia but this movie sucks
Mar 24, 2016 2:30 PM

Jul 2013
It was pretty funny! Not as funny as I thought it would be or as the series though.

The aliens were so weird and trying to make everyone else the same.

I did kind of think it would be a little better though tbh and didn’t think it needed to show clips from the series again although they were some funny bits.

Italy saved them by giving them marker faces and Sealand came to the rescue to help get them off the Island lol. Yay Italy and Sealand <3

Greece seemed hot <3

I saw some awesome Hetalia (including of Italy and Sealand) cosplay on a website earlier, kinda want them and some cool Bleach ones and pretty cheap, me wants to cosplay for Halloween but I can’t decide who as.

I can’t wait to watch the next season! <3
Oct 17, 2016 6:04 AM
Aug 2016
Love hetalia but this movie is just terrible.
Feb 13, 2017 2:32 AM

Aug 2007
Meh, I wasn't feeling it.
Like others said, lots of reused clips, the main plot wasn't that good by itself...
I gave the original series a 5/10 average score.
This one, in comparison, is getting a 3/10 from me.

Oct 23, 2017 5:57 AM

Oct 2009
Ugh this is such a pointless and frustrating movie. I hate it when a show/movie has a cast of interesting and unique characters and they only focus on the main character (who's definitely not the most interesting one among everyone) and how the main character can do no wrong and always has the solution to everything. America, England, Russia, France, China and Japan were all completely shafted and dumbed down in favour of N. Italy. They have the budget to produce a feature-length movie and this is what they came up with. Disappointing. The bright side would probably be the Allied Powers having lines and screentime, and Tony I guess. I find it funny how America, England, Russia and Prussia are the popular characters and they barely got any focus on themselves? What a wasted opportunity. Final score: 4/10.
Sep 19, 2021 7:53 AM

Apr 2021
plot-wise, whatever :D plain white aliens, pictonians (i think:D) came to earth to turn everyone in to a pictonian.. all the countries then try to defeat the aliens

the main thing in hetalia is the comedy and i've had a few good laughs watching this ^^ 'twas a pleasant way to spend a sunday afternoon :D
i wish i was a cloud
Sep 16, 2022 5:45 AM

Jul 2014
Absolutely terrible movie. 50% re-used scenes and 50% unfunny plot that felt totally out of place with the Hetalia universe as a whole. I'm sure if they gave a damn they could have easily found some historical event to recreate with the Hetalia characters to fill the runtime, rather than churning out this garbage.

3/10

More topics from this board

» Hetalia: Paint it White

Elaress - Jul 25, 2011

1 by midnighteternal »»
Sep 2, 2011 7:59 AM

» Hetalia Movie DVD to be Released!

tsubasalover - Oct 10, 2010

7 by vanijane »»
Oct 16, 2010 10:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.