Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 25, 2011 5:31 AM

Jul 2008
OMG!
QB is serious evil guy!
Feb 25, 2011 5:33 AM

Nov 2007
CRAZY EP!!! It feels like my brain is going to break!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 25, 2011 5:38 AM

Nov 2008
Kyuuseishu81 said:
Alright here come speculated predictions.

1. Alright so Homura is definitely related to Madoka somehow. QB stating that she's from another timeline where s*** seems to have already gone down makes me think that she could be someone from the pre-existing cast. I might be thinking to far ahead but, I think that Homura is "Sayaka" from a different timeline. Maybe not actually Sayaka, but she plays the same role in her original timeline (Madoka's BFF who becomes a Magical Girl). Her anger towards Sayaka may be stemming from something like the actions of Madoka's best friend always cause Madoka to contract. Possibly some self resentment from it being her own fault in her original timeline. this idea hasn't fully formed but I'm mentally vested in it.
This can only be true if "Sayaka" became a mahou shoujo after Madoka did, because if "Sayaka" became a mahou shoujo first, there would be no way to initiate time travel (Kyubey is the only one who can do that), and even Homura wouldn't have known about the truths of being a mahou shoujo before she made her wish, assuming that she did wish first and not Madoka.

There again, Madoka wishing first isn't impossible and I'm probably saying that because I have my own ideas of who Homura is , and it isn't Sayaka or any other AU best friends. It's Junko, Madoka's mother. I have elaborated on the theory thread in the Madoka club.

2. If Madoka does contract her wish is going to be to get back Sayaka and Mami's soul gems and bodies, or resurrect them as normal people. Probably why Homura tried to save Mami.
Kyubey would probably say "Sorry, I can't do that" if she tried to make that wish. Probably because he genuinely can't as well (at least in Mami's case), because if he could, he' just populate the entire world with witches instantly.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Feb 25, 2011 5:39 AM
Jul 2008
When the color of the liquid flowing down the window in the OP turned from orange (Mami) to blue (Sayaka) for ep5, I was wondering who the next victim would be. Hopefully, it doesn't happen now even though I've have lost all hope. Please shaft me right now SHAFT.

Doesn't it suck? Doing what you thought was right, being somewhat confirmed, and then finding out you're actually you're doing the exact opposite thing? Not that Sayaka was very righteous in the first place but still.
Feb 25, 2011 5:42 AM

Jun 2009
How become this anime turn into such a big crap!?
Feb 25, 2011 5:56 AM

May 2009
OMG, i'm seriously speechless on my seat after the show. I see, that's why I got a feeling of that Kyuubey is the reason for every irregularity in this show.

Man, this show is really different from any Mahou Shoujo that I've seen so far, DDAAAMMMMNNN IIITTTT, Kyuubey! (>_<)

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Feb 25, 2011 6:12 AM

Nov 2008
KJacket said:
When the color of the liquid flowing down the window in the OP turned from orange (Mami) to blue (Sayaka) for ep5, I was wondering who the next victim would be.
I suspect that it will be red for the next episode to signify that Kyouko is next. After all, she has had a death flag raised since saying she was content with the way she was living in episode 7. She is also closest to witch Sayaka at the current time, which if rumours are to be believed, will be the massive world-destroying witch from the dream at the beginning of episode 1 and almost certainly capable of killing Kyouko eventually.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Feb 25, 2011 6:32 AM

Jun 2009
Goddammit Shaft. I can see you starting to get lazy with the animation. In this show that's damn inexcusable.

On another note this show is getting better and better with each episode. I want more dammit!

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Feb 25, 2011 6:32 AM
Aug 2010
FOE-tan said:
Kyuuseishu81 said:
Alright here come speculated predictions.

1. Alright so Homura is definitely related to Madoka somehow. QB stating that she's from another timeline where s*** seems to have already gone down makes me think that she could be someone from the pre-existing cast. I might be thinking to far ahead but, I think that Homura is "Sayaka" from a different timeline. Maybe not actually Sayaka, but she plays the same role in her original timeline (Madoka's BFF who becomes a Magical Girl). Her anger towards Sayaka may be stemming from something like the actions of Madoka's best friend always cause Madoka to contract. Possibly some self resentment from it being her own fault in her original timeline. this idea hasn't fully formed but I'm mentally vested in it.
This can only be true if "Sayaka" became a mahou shoujo after Madoka did, because if "Sayaka" became a mahou shoujo first, there would be no way to initiate time travel (Kyubey is the only one who can do that), and even Homura wouldn't have known about the truths of being a mahou shoujo before she made her wish, assuming that she did wish first and not Madoka.

There again, Madoka wishing first isn't impossible and I'm probably saying that because I have my own ideas of who Homura is , and it isn't Sayaka or any other AU best friends. It's Junko, Madoka's mother. I have elaborated on the theory thread in the Madoka club.

2. If Madoka does contract her wish is going to be to get back Sayaka and Mami's soul gems and bodies, or resurrect them as normal people. Probably why Homura tried to save Mami.
Kyubey would probably say "Sorry, I can't do that" if she tried to make that wish. Probably because he genuinely can't as well (at least in Mami's case), because if he could, he' just populate the entire world with witches instantly.

I thought about it being her mother but I just cant see it yet.And in Homura's original timeline things could have very well been different and Madoka did wish first. Then the wish would have been for the power to control time. I dont think it could be madoka's Mom because I doubt a magical girl could get pregnant, or even grow past the age they were at the time of the contract. And then if it was her mom she'd be going out of her way to save madoka even though in her own timeline madoka wasn't her daughter at all. Also, yeah kyuubey bringing back the dead might be a stretch but it seems like that would be what she'd wish for. But this aint DBZ so people should stay dead.
Feb 25, 2011 6:39 AM

Dec 2009
Kyuubey is made of win .
Also , Homura is from another time o___O ???
Feb 25, 2011 6:46 AM

Oct 2008
Random observations and quesiton:

Sayaka: "I'll be a different kind of Puella Magi from all of you."
She certainly was right.
Perhaps, Witch Sayaka will continue to hold her ideals of killing other witches?
Or does she already have blood on her hands from killing the two men on the train?

And I think that Charlotte did Mami a favour. Her soul gem was crushed, preventing her from ever becoming a witch.

And where exactly was Kyoko touching Homura to prevent her from using her magic?
Both of her hands are on her retractable spear (13:06).

QB to Madoka: "If you wish, Madoka, I could make you into God."
I can see that everyone has already proposed that if Madoka were to become a god, she would make an incredibly powerful witch, apocalyptic even.
But, there must be a catch to this again. If she were all powerful, change time and matter, she could get rid of this MS/witch system and put a stop to QB's plans.
As always, it is important to be sure what you wish for. You'd have to define what "God" really means.

Homura --> gun + grenade + miscellaneous explosives + time manipulation + cold, but caring attitude = total win

Random, but found this on Animesuki forums

THE CAT IN THE OPENING IS HOMURA!

OmniknightFeb 25, 2011 7:03 AM
Feb 25, 2011 6:48 AM

Jun 2009
Can I say R.I.P Sayaka? She's as good as dead. :'(
Watching Homura to break down like this, was truly heart breaking. :'( I really want to find out more about her and right now I'm scared for Kyouko. I'm afraid she's going to die in next episode which would leave us with 3 episodes to wrap things up. But I don't want Kyouko to die! She's so awesome! ;_;
Feb 25, 2011 6:56 AM

Jan 2010
Sayonara7 said:
Ok soooo if Madoka will have the most power everrrr then when she turns into a witch she'll be the big badd impossible boss!!! Thats what Im guessing Kyubeyy wants~

that why homura back in time to prevent that from happening.
in homura time, madoka screwed up and become that powerful witch............

kyubey, damn you for tricking all those girl to become mahou shoujo!!!!!!!!!

edit: merged posts
desolatoFeb 25, 2011 12:57 PM
Feb 25, 2011 7:11 AM

Jan 2010
Iri said:
That's entirely possible, but if that's all there is, and if after that Madoka goes on to deal with Walpurgisnacht (assuming that whatever that is, it is separate from Sayaka), then in my opinion, Kyubey wins. Somehow, even though she might be enabled by Homura/Homura's true identity/Kyokou/What's Left of Mami/etc. in some way, the figurative wrench that is finally thrown into that evil little muppet's machinations, has to be thrown by Madoka herself. Whatever Homura knows, I'm guessing there is going to need to be a new variable introduced to prevent whatever she is trying to prevent. What nature that will eventually take is, of course, one of the bigger pieces of speculation of how this series will turn out.
So is Kyubey also courting his own demise, even as he seduces Madoka?

He can obviously take his lumps as regards to Homura without negative long-term effect. But if he makes a deal with Madoka, will she have the capability to do something terrible to him? Meaning permanently bad. Maybe he's knowingly putting himself at risk for some greater prize.

And I also find it interesting that the term 'grief seed' is used, now that we know what 'Kyubey' is short for.
MockmanMar 2, 2011 3:12 AM
Feb 25, 2011 7:14 AM

Oct 2008
arif85124 said:
Sayonara7 said:
Ok soooo if Madoka will have the most power everrrr then when she turns into a witch she'll be the big badd impossible boss!!! Thats what Im guessing Kyubeyy wants~

that why homura back in time to prevent that from happening.
in homura time, madoka screwed up and become that powerful witch............

Is this like the 5th time Homura has stopped Madoka from becoming a MS?
Homura will do anything to stop Madoka from becoming an MS.
Perhaps a the small inconvenience of death will prevent her from stopping Madoka's transformation.

And I just have to say it, but your forum avatar is awesome.
Feb 25, 2011 7:26 AM
Feb 2011
Kinda signed up here just to voice my opinion.

Well, for starters. My reaction to this episode was something like: "-Speechless.........-FUUUUUUUUU-speechless.....-FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

It truly was a great episode. I Didn't think a Magical Girl Anime could be this good.

Secondly, Here's my theory.. i guess. About the whole Homura thing.
She's NOT Madoka from the future. She's Madoka's close friend(or something similar) from the future. A Future in which Madoka became a Mahou Shoujo, leading to her becoming a Witch. That being the Witch that appeared in the first episode of Madoka's dream. And Homura has come back to stop Madoka from becoming a Magical Girl thus not becoming the witch, n while Kyuubee is this whole evil Incubator guy, his plan is to turn Madoka herself into a witch. That's why he's just kinda sitting around in the dream. And him asking Madoka to become a Magical Girl was just a mindf*ck.

Alternatly, That Witch is Sayaka. Who has possibiliy killed Kyoko, since she wasn't in the dream, and comes close to killing Akemi, which is when Kyuubee asks Madoka to become a Mahou Shoujo in the dream; Which she likely will. Possibily even wishing for Sayaka to become human again. And if Kyuubee can't do that like he implied, Madoka will turn her back (OR, she won't turn her back and just defeat her. But if that's the case, i kinda doubt cause Madoka isn't the type to give up on her friend like that.)

Honestly though, after checking up the Wiki it seems likely that Sayaka is the witch. Meaning that if Madoka does become a Mahou Shoujo because of it there's every chance Sayaka will make a return.
Well, that's what i think.
DangerousZombieFeb 25, 2011 7:40 AM
Feb 25, 2011 7:34 AM

Jun 2009
Omniknight said:
Homura --> gun + grenade + miscellaneous explosives + time manipulation + cold, but caring attitude = total win
Add her great design and i'm totally with you.
Honestly, this was intense. Kyubey being evil confirmed for good, theory about Sayaka turning into wich pretty much confirmed as well, also Homura being from another time is almost confirmed. Like everytrhing will be explaind eventually, that i really am curious about Homura, is she really Madoka from another time, or just someone she met/will meet?
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 25, 2011 7:51 AM

Sep 2010
Kyubey is getting more amazing I don't think I ever found a evil thing so wonderful~!

Feb 25, 2011 7:54 AM

Nov 2009
endtime said:
Shit just got so fucking real.

QFT.

I am speechless. Well, except these two sentences.
Feb 25, 2011 8:13 AM

Oct 2008
Will giving a 6 year old girl a plushie of QB cause her significant mental damage later in life when she realizes what QB actually is?
Feb 25, 2011 8:35 AM

Feb 2010
Laughed my ass off when Kyubey got shot full of holes out of nowhere.
Feb 25, 2011 9:00 AM

Feb 2011
Kyubei turned into swiss-cheese :D
Kyubei came back to life ):
Kyubei start eating himself o_e
Feb 25, 2011 9:02 AM

Feb 2008
Paiguy said:
Laughed my ass off when Kyubey got shot full of holes out of nowhere.
Not gonna lie, I did too. And the 'Incubator' part.

But my god I wanted that gun to shoot him for all eternity at the end.
Feb 25, 2011 9:10 AM
Jul 2010
...speech..less...
Feb 25, 2011 9:10 AM

Sep 2008
Well, that episode was quite disturbing in ways more than one.

If there's one thing that making me stay with this show, it's definitely Kyubey the lovable evil bastard.
Feb 25, 2011 9:37 AM
Jan 2010
That was a great episode, although I do have a theory on Homura and how Madoka will become a Mahou Shoujo.

I believe Homura is Madoka from an alternate time line due to her time manipulation magic. However in regards to Madoka becoming a Mahou Shoujo, I think that instead of forming a contract with Kyubey, Homura will have something to do with it. This is because I am starting to think Homura is the girl in the OP with long pink hair who kisses Madoka on her forehead before turning Madoka into a Mahou Shoujo.
Feb 25, 2011 9:48 AM

Jul 2010
DAT KYUBEY...

Another chilling episode to this incredible series.
Feb 25, 2011 9:53 AM

Aug 2010
Great episode as always :]

Feb 25, 2011 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
OMG i'm kinda speechless after this episode..

So many hidden revealings:

Now we know:
- Homura is from another Timeline and seems to know Madoka in another way.. she also wants to protect her.
- Kyuubey's real identity is Incubinator and needs Madoka turning into a Mohou Shoujo for his plottings..
- Sayaka is dead?!
- Mahou Shoujos turn into witches...

All in all very plot-twisting episode, which caught my breath the whole time and is definitley the best show this season.

Feb 25, 2011 10:05 AM

Sep 2008
Okay, so my thoughts. First, we've established that miracles aren't free. I think that's important. Even if Madoka gets the power to revert Sayaka on her own, there will be a price to pay for it. I imagine that could even have something to do with Homura's remarks. "Why must you always sacrifice yourself?" Likely if Madoka got the power to perform miracles she would do so to help people excessively regardless of personal cost. Partially just to feel useful.

Secondly, my first thought with sayaka was "Sweet crap. So you're undead. Would you get over it?" As I've considered it though it seems to me that it's actually a pretty good depiction of children dealing with matters they're far too young to handle. I mean heck, the love triangle itself would have been devastating at that age characterized by such drama, but couple it with the recent witnessed violent death of a friend, as well as revalations that put her humanity into question creating an existential crisis at an age where one is already freakishly succeptable to identity issues. Well, yeah, she's breaking down. If she was older it wouldn't be such a blow emotionally, and she'd be mature enough to handle such emotions without heading down such a path of self destruction. As is, I think it's interesting watching a somewhat realistic depiction of how someone of that age would deal with such matters. A nice contrast to shows where the magical girl retains all their fun happiness and naive ideals, and even manages to somehow impose them on the world so that everyone comes out happy.

Even without the darker aspects of the mahou shojo process, I'm having fun thinking about how a character like Nanoha would actually deal with the perceived responsibility that comes with her powers, as well as how she'd actually use them. What exactly does nanoha do when she meets an abusive pimp? How about when tragedy strikes while she sleeps? When she realizes that everyone she knows and loves will die if she just doesn't save the day fast enough, and witnesses what such a death would look like? Suppose she saves Fate from her mother, but that doesn't actually allow her to free herself from a lifetimes lessons in right and wrong taught by the woman?

Heck, what about the pride? What happens when Nahoha realizes that none of the ordinary human beings can do what she does? That everyone else is weak. Weak in the body, mind, and morals. That only she stands above them as a being of pure morals and absolute power?

Overall, I think Sayaka is a very fun exploration of this train of thought,

I'm not sure what to think about today's revelations for kyuubi. Clearly he's not a being bound to a single physical form. That's not really surprising. I think some people are making too big a deal out of the fact that he ate his own corpse. There's nutrients in there and probably the grief seeds he's eaten as well. Probably not any more significant that taking the nutrients and the seeds back.

I suspect that his body hopping might tie itself into the soul gem concept. If his soul is elsewhere, and he's merely controlling a series of puppets, then that fits pretty well.

As far as the creation of witches goes, I'm still trying to figure out how this effects my stance on his evil status. His actions have been appearing progressively less noble, so it could be that it just took me longer than some to decide that he was evil. Could be that they've been building up to this revelation as the moment he's revealed to be evil. There's still much we don't know about witches though. I suspect sayaka's transformation will hold some answers in that department next week.
Feb 25, 2011 10:09 AM

May 2010
What an episode.

All those revelations are just too epic for words.

When I saw Kyubey in swiss cheese form, "WTF! + O_o" was my instant reaction.

QB = Incubator = Incubus or something?

So Sayaka completely snapped out and turned to something . . .

Can't wait for the next ep.

And yeah, Homura with explosives is a total WIN!!
Feb 25, 2011 10:18 AM

Sep 2010
this episode was just godly, like the whole anime, all the epic points are already stated over and over so i wont say them again, cause everyone knows them already ;).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2011 10:19 AM

Mar 2010
Holy shit, I think this anime can make it to my top 5. I am resisting urge to give it 10/10 right now.
Feb 25, 2011 10:28 AM

Jul 2009
I don't even know what to say at this point, just gonna keep watching.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Feb 25, 2011 10:33 AM

Jun 2008
So Kyubey is the incubator because he creates magical girls that will grow into witches. His plays the role of the incubator for witches.
His role is pretty clear now. His an incubator magical machine for the creation of witches. That's why he can't die by just having a body killed.
The question is what magic created him and supports him? Are the witches the creators of Kyubey? Did they created him so he can help them create new witches.

Also if each magical girls kills more than one witch before she becomes a witch herself, won't their numbers go down?
How can such a system be effective?

Another question is how can a magical girl become a witch? Sayaka let herself get there because she fell into despair she killed humans and she didn't use that witch egg to clear her soul gem.
If a girl doesn't let herself get to that point and feeds her soul gem regularly will she still become a witch? Does the soul gem decay simply with time no matter how much you take care of it?

Homura is Madoka's dead sister. Ok i thought maybe she could have had one that doesn't remember.
Or probably her mother? It would make perfect sense for her being her mother. She could have wished to become young again as her magical girl wish. A wish that has something to do with time could also explain her ability to manipulate time and why she is relatively powerful since she has similar genes with Madoka as her mother and all.
That black cat troubles me too. I just can't see how a cat could make a wish though. What is the connection with the cat?
Feb 25, 2011 10:36 AM

Jun 2009
That's pretty scary to see Kyubey got shot, even though I was pretty happy until another Kyubey pops out and ate himself. That's pretty disturbing. And poor Sayaka, what will happen to her? D:

Feb 25, 2011 10:43 AM

Apr 2010
Great episode and several things where confirmed.
First of all Homura being from a different time zone most likely the future which is most likely the reason why she knows what's going to happen.
Or she could have seen what's going to happen because of time travel.
It was also confirmed that she knew Madoka and was most likely close to her, which suggests several things.
She could be a classmate she could be a friend maybe she is Madoka's mother or even her child from the future or someone she didn't met yet.

Kyubey being a bigger being and having a plan with possible malicious intend was also confirmed the question that remains is what.
Kyubey having multiple copy's and having a shared conscious does explain why he seemed to be everywhere.
His persistence in getting Madoka is also interesting and suggests she is a major part of his plan whatever it may be.

Sayaka going berserk and losing it completely was expected, her wish her behavior and her character all suggested such.
This episode also partly confirmed that witches are mahou shoujo's gone bad.
With Sayaka turning out that way and Kyubey's sentence at the end.
And i wonder what she did to those guys in the train i hope she kicked there asses they truly deserved it.
Feb 25, 2011 10:47 AM

May 2008
cleo said:
*rewatches ep 1*
Hitomi, Sayaka and Madoka are having lunch. Madoka tells about her dream.
Sayaka: "You're friends, meeting each other again after having traveled through space and time".
How does that foreshadow that Homura = Madoka?
Aside from them not looking alike - most notably their eyes - why would future Madoka get so emotional towards her past self?
If you had seen basically the destruction of the world and the horrible death of all your friends, and knew the cause of it was your own naivete, you'd certainly be frustrated with your past self too.
cleo said:
Why would she go you emo about how her past self calls her by her "fake" (supposedly, based on this theory) last name instead of her fake first name?
Why would she go you emo about her past self not remembering her future self?
Why would her future self not give a damn about her best friend, while her past self clearly did?
Why breakdown emotionally in front of her past self, because she's about to sacrifice herself for a friend, and tell her to think more of her of her future self, who cares so much about herself?
That all makes sense if Homura was someone close to Madoka in the past, not if we're talking about the same person.
It could still be Mami or someone else, but it really looks like episode one wants us to believe that Homura is Madoka.... whether that is a troll within a troll is yet to be seen. It is a bit unlike Shinbou to reveal so much so early, and while I overlooked the time travel hints in ep.1 many others have been predicting the "Archer scenario" from day one.

About Homura not coming to Sayaka's rescue... It's likely that Homura (future Madoka) already knows that Sayaka cannot be saved... and it's even possible that she already tried to save her unsuccessfully in an alternate timeline.

Homura (future Madoka) regrets her decision to have become a majou shoujo by sacrificing herself for her friends's sakes.... not unlike Sayaka's regrets on her own wish. The soul(s?) inside Homura obviously don't want Madoka to be selfless, since becoming a mahou shoujo directly leads to the destruction of the world and the sadness of all those she leaves behind.

I am a banana.
Feb 25, 2011 10:52 AM

Oct 2009
Omg Kyubey just ate a clone of himself o.O

So now he is oficially the evil guy.
Feb 25, 2011 10:58 AM

Oct 2008
Monad said:

Also if each magical girls kills more than one witch before she becomes a witch herself, won't their numbers go down?

Was thinking the exact same thought. I guess perhaps that witches can be created through other means. Perhaps people with dark souls will become witches. Remember the scene at the end of episode 4. That "death cult" could possibly be creation of witches or familiars. It never states specifically the reason for dying. This is just my guess.

Monad said:

The question is what magic created him and supports him? Are the witches the creators of Kyubey? Did they created him so he can help them create new witches.

QB seems to be the person pulling the strings. I don't see any indication that he is being directed by something greater. Notice how he says that Homura is interferring with "my" plan. I would support the theory that QB sustains himself from the discarded grief seeds. Whether for nutrition or for power, I don't know.
A good question is whether magic created QB or QB is the origin of the magic.
Feb 25, 2011 11:03 AM

Sep 2010
I have came home as fast as I could from work ignoring my co-workers request to have some good time, very excited that today is Puella Magi Madoka Magica day :)

Finally after hours of excitement and sleeplessness the day before I have finally watched this…

KYYUUUBEEEYYYY!!!!!! What exactly are you? Hey! We trusted you, didn’t we? You are suppose to be a cute/cuddly mascot character that provides the comic reliefs of an otherwise boring mahou shoujo shows or could also be a friend/trustworthy companion of our dear Mahou Shoujos. So, what exactly are you? Good, evil, both, none, borderline, 60/40, 40/60, 70/30, etc? What did this girls exactly did to have them deserve that kind of fate? Or are you the ultimate deceiver? The Deceiver of all deceivers? Please don’t do anymore harm to the young girls, could you? I hope you still have some redeeming trait…

Pretty sums up my thoughts, I just hope it makes sense.

Great Episode!

PS: Madoka, pls. never be tempted to make a contract with that Incubator thing. Homura, their is always hope, for what comes after a lonely night is a brightened day. Kyouko, you have really change, my opinion of you have already turned 360 degress compare to what I initially thought you are when you first debuted. Lastly Sayaka, I know that fate is cruel to you, you made hasty decisions, and now you have turned into this, I hope you can still be save, but if its no longer possible, I hope for a swift and gentle death for you…
Feb 25, 2011 11:14 AM

Feb 2009
saka said:
cleo said:
*rewatches ep 1*
Hitomi, Sayaka and Madoka are having lunch. Madoka tells about her dream.
Sayaka: "You're friends, meeting each other again after having traveled through space and time".
How does that foreshadow that Homura = Madoka?
Aside from them not looking alike - most notably their eyes - why would future Madoka get so emotional towards her past self?
If you had seen basically the destruction of the world and the horrible death of all your friends, and knew the cause of it was your own naivete, you'd certainly be frustrated with your past self too.

I don't think frustrated is the right word. She is very emotional, yes, but not frustrated. She seems to care about what happens to Madoka rather deeply, but she acts more like a very close friend would.

Obviously, she didn't really care about what happened to Sayaka, she expressed that quite clearly. She was just worried about how that would effect Madoka, not that Sayaka would turn into a witch.
Feb 25, 2011 11:31 AM

Nov 2007
paperbomb said:
alright lets see if i can do this...

Why would she go you emo about how her past self calls her by her "fake" (supposedly, based on this theory) last name instead of her fake first name?
Sorry. I don't really get this question

Friends and relatives have a relationship on a first-name basis. Them getting upset over Madoka suddenly using their last name would make sense. But what reason does future Madoka to get upset about that?

And this is where you're losing me. Can you explain how you're Madoka = Homura speculation works (who sents who etc.), because based on these answers, it seems that Future Madoka doesn't know her past self. Her changing along the way is one thing, but why would future Madoka forget her past actions and reasons?
I also doubt she can have a fake name on her ring.

Omniknight said:
I can see that everyone has already proposed that if Madoka were to become a god, she would make an incredibly powerful witch, apocalyptic even.
But, there must be a catch to this again. If she were all powerful, change time and matter, she could get rid of this MS/witch system and put a stop to QB's plans.
As always, it is important to be sure what you wish for. You'd have to define what "God" really means.

QB mentioned the soulgem was an item to keep their souls safe.
Maybe Madoka could opt for not having her soul put in a soulgem. It would mean feeling pain etc., but if she has such godtier power, she should be able to slay witches with her magic alone.

gangler said:
As far as the creation of witches goes, I'm still trying to figure out how this effects my stance on his evil status. His actions have been appearing progressively less noble, so it could be that it just took me longer than some to decide that he was evil. Could be that they've been building up to this revelation as the moment he's revealed to be evil.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Thusfar his actions could be explained by him not understanding human morals, simply being an purely logic creature. And there were witches to fight, and so his actions led to a good thing.
Now that it turns out in the long run, his aim is to create witches, I have to do some serious thinking if I can still see him as neutral.
Though I still think it's likely he's a tool, the name Incubator seems to suggest so.
Maybe he's like a genie in a bottle. Despite his intentions, he's obliged to fulfill his role.

Monad said:
I think they said there were more witches/familiars than Magical girls.

Monad said:
If a girl doesn't let herself get to that point and feeds her soul gem regularly will she still become a witch? Does the soul gem decay simply with time no matter how much you take care of it?
I think she should be fine, Homura and Kyouko prove as much.
But when they fight, they use magic and probably also in maintaining their bodies. They 'clean' it with a griefseed. If the griefseed gets tainted enough, another witch will hatch. I think indirectly they help the creation of new witches.

Monad said:
Or probably her mother? It would make perfect sense for her being her mother. She could have wished to become young again as her magical girl wish. A wish that has something to do with time could also explain her ability to manipulate time and why she is relatively powerful since she has similar genes with Madoka as her mother and all.
Ehm, that's more than 1 wish.
And as someone else said: can Magical girls have children? Or a family life?

Monad said:
That black cat troubles me too. I just can't see how a cat could make a wish though. What is the connection with the cat?
There has been speculation that Sayaka's body got destroyed, and her soul was put in that cat.
You know, lichs and their phylactery. That theory is out of the door now :D
Feb 25, 2011 11:36 AM

Aug 2008
Monad said:

Homura is Madoka's dead sister. Ok i thought maybe she could have had one that doesn't remember.

interesting
especially if you take this picture into consideration

notice the top picture is a extraction of Faust's Hexeneinmaleins which made faust younger

“The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances.” 
― Agatha Christie
Feb 25, 2011 11:41 AM

Sep 2008
Kipcha said:
I don't think frustrated is the right word. She is very emotional, yes, but not frustrated. She seems to care about what happens to Madoka rather deeply, but she acts more like a very close friend would.

Obviously, she didn't really care about what happened to Sayaka, she expressed that quite clearly. She was just worried about how that would effect Madoka, not that Sayaka would turn into a witch.
We've already established that, having already made the contract, Sayaka is unsaveable. She might as well be dead. Homura said so herself. Homura tries to prevent contracts. Saving mahou shojo isn't her department. She's already expressed regret that she failed to anticipate Kyuubi drawing her in, but what's done is done. Sounds like she figured Madoka was Kyuubi's main focus. Sayaka doesn't have a noteworthy degree of magical talent, so it likely hadn't occured to Homura that she'd be subject to the sales pitch merely by proximity to Madoka.

Yes, her main focus is on Madoka, but that's only because the other battle's already been lost. No use sending the good money after the bad so to say. Any time spent on Sayaka is time better spent on people who can still be saved.
desolatoFeb 25, 2011 3:46 PM
Feb 25, 2011 12:08 PM

Jan 2010
Holy crap! Kyubei is freaking evil.
Feb 25, 2011 12:09 PM

Feb 2008
even after all of this i still don't think hes a bad guy....maybe.
Feb 25, 2011 12:18 PM

May 2008
Kipcha said:
saka said:

Homura (presumably future Madoka) is noticeably frustrated and angry at Madoka in episode one and confronts her about it, which is what I was referring to. http://imgur.com/ABHe4.jpg

She obviously knows everything that is about to happen and therefore makes the most rational decisions she can to prevent her past self from becoming a mahou shoujo (though, I wonder if they'll ignore the grandfather paradox).

Kipcha said:
Madoka is the key to everything, so she is the priority... future Madoka understands that saving Sayaka is likely impossible and has to take the most rational course to prevent Walpurgisnacht from destroying everything.

I've been working under the idea that Sayaka will become the demon/witch Walpurgisnacht, but it makes me wonder because it seems like Homura would just kill her off.... I suppose the possibility of her past self forming a contract as a result would have made that a bad move. We do know that in the dream sequence in ep.1 Madoka is still not a mahou shoujo so I think we can assume that Madoka making her contract is not a prerequisite for Sayaka becoming Walpurgisnacht.... it's just something that will happen regardless -- or maybe Homura (future Madoka) is some kind of a substitute catalyst even when past Madoka hasn't contracted yet. Even when you know what's going to happen, we still are missing some details around why Madoka contracting is a bad thing.... so there's still a lot of surprises coming in the next few episodes.

Monad said:
I really like this theory as well. The time powers thing makes this very likely. So Homura is Madoka's mother in another body (presumably the soul gem can be transferred and just put close to a soulless body, but it might just be a transformation like you said). This would also explain why she is so good at math and such in the first episode, beyond her years... I don't think enough time would have passed for Madoka to learn so much. Now I have to revise all my thoughts again lol. It's even possible that Homura is carrying multiple soul gems and switching personalities regularly.

Madoka Magica = deep.
sakaFeb 25, 2011 12:42 PM

I am a banana.
Feb 25, 2011 12:24 PM

Sep 2010
kisami said:
even after all of this i still don't think hes a bad guy....maybe.

your clearly watching a different show than i am.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2011 12:37 PM
Jan 2010
You just gotta love good ol kyuu
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.