Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2007 6:38 PM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.----------------------------------------
Now that the raw is out, i would like to give my thoughts on this as more and more people watch it (I watched it at AX earlier this month)

KinetaNov 23, 2012 7:05 AM
Jul 19, 2007 11:28 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
/me didn't click the spoiler.

I wonder if there will be any subs for it in the future...

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 20, 2007 2:18 AM

Oct 2006
the raw is out? o.o ...where? nvm, found it :)

anyway, I'm pretty sure KAA will pick this one up, but that will happen only after the DVDs are out so it's gonna take another while :/

I'm really tired of waiting for this movie. T_T
Jul 20, 2007 11:50 AM

Apr 2007
must.. watch.. now!
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jul 28, 2007 8:15 AM

May 2007
Looks like there's a couple subs out for the first one now. Looks like a very interesting watch.

Is the one released the first segment of the 3 part film, or the third? They both had the same name so I wasn't sure, didn't want to risk starting at the end.
Jul 28, 2007 11:33 AM

Jan 2007
the release looks like it is all of them. The third segment just happens to have the same name as the title.
Jul 28, 2007 11:36 AM

May 2007
Ah, thanks Faust. Appreciate the info. For some reason I assumed they were releasing it in the the three segments. Thanks for clearing that up.
Aug 8, 2007 6:24 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I just watched the Parade sub, which was well done I thought and contains all 3 chapters.

I didn't fully understand the last 2 chapters, but I've never seen anything as beautiful as this so I rated it a 9.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 8, 2007 7:29 AM

Aug 2006
I loved it. I, too, watched all 3 chapters, together. I loved the story... and the animation... was absolutely BEAUTIFUL ^__^ 10/10.

The ending was nice... but left it a little open... makes you wonder if they ever found each other again...
Aug 10, 2007 6:17 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Personally, I was a bit disappointed. Not because the expectations were too high, rather the opposite: the movie met my expectations so easily that I couldn't even believe it.

I originally thought to write a review, but after having read the other members' reviews I decided it wasn't necessary, as it would neither help anyone enjoy it nor do any other good; as such, it's actually more of a rant about Shinkai not moving forward from the spot he's sitting on for a few years already.
Aug 10, 2007 7:41 PM

Jul 2007
I swear the man is a freaking genius. Very lovely film, awesome animation, and a lovely story. I was a little disappointed in the ending, call it wanting more closure or whatever. I did like how it was left the way it was but still I wish it'd of left more closure. Still though the film is beyond awesome and I await it's release State side by ADV
Aug 11, 2007 8:12 AM

Aug 2006
I just saw it and I loved it. I actually really liked the ending (although yes I too would've liked to see the ending most of us were expecting but then it would probably be lame :P) and how the ending of the last chapter was like an AMV, that was awesome. I had a great time watching this movie, great story telling of a great story.

zanmato666Aug 11, 2007 8:25 AM
Aug 11, 2007 9:52 AM

Apr 2007
To be completely honest, I was quite disappointed, but not necessarily surprised by 5CM. I agree pretty much with almost all of moozooh's analysis above, specifically about how Makoto Shinkai seems to have not progressively evolved in his storytelling, although I'll add a few more observations.

Aug 14, 2007 8:47 AM
Aug 2007
Alright heres what the movie was to me

Over all i loved it very much so, Shinkai is one of my favorite creators. The first and second episodes were great. I'm not completely sure but I THINK i liked the first episode best. Some times I was like "...why don't they just do it..." like in the first episode i thought he should have told her that he wrote a letter but it was lost, and she should have given him her letter, in the second episode he was like "When did I start writing messages that i would never send..." and i was like "then just send them o.o that would be for the best wouldn't it?" and also in the last episode, why didn't he run after her after the trains had passed!

And the third episode made me kind of sad, I know that it was Shinkai's style but i really wanted them to get together in the end. Me and a friend watched it the same day and talked about it later, we didn't really understand but it seemed like the Takaki was now in a depressed state with not alot of good happening, an Akari was engaged. Correct me if i was wrong there.

I was kinda upset about that. Sure I loved the movie but I think I would have loved it more if they ended up together in the end. The bitter sweet ending is also good too. But is it like saying that they will never see each other again? I know they said they would watch the cherry blossoms together again but it just didn't seem like it.

Overall I really liked it and would recommend it to anyone.
Aug 15, 2007 2:09 AM

Aug 2007
So, quick question here...

I know there was the full hour-long movie that has all three segments, but then there was the Oukashou episode aired on Yahoo, I believe. I was under the assumption that there were three episodes (each one focusing on one of the three segments from the movie), as well as the movie. But now it seems like there's just the movie and the separate Oukashou segment.

So, I'm thinking there's just the movie and the earlier-shown Oukashou segment. Is that right?
Aug 15, 2007 11:10 AM

Jan 2007
The movie is basically those 3 segments combined which is basically and hour long. Oukashou, Cosmonaut and 5cm per second. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively. Oukashou was streamed on yahoo to promote the movie. It is still part of the movie but that one was just shown on yahoo.
Aug 15, 2007 5:32 PM

Oct 2006
Well, I just finished and to be honest I was disappointed.

The music is great, and One More Time One More Chance is #4 in my top anime OP/ED songs. The animation was brilliant, no surprises there. But it's not enough to make the movie great.

I was hoping to see a really deep relation between the too main characters but it fell way short of that. The first chapter exploring that would be relation nicely and I figured it would get better after that, and more dramatic but what happened was the complete opposite. The second chapter introduces a second girl (don't recall her name.. and that's kinda bad since I just finished the movie), which in my view was totally unnecessary, and she completely disappears in the last chapter. Why was there a chapter told by her I still don't understand. If I look at the chapter alone, it's great, but IMO it didn't belong in the movie. The story should have focused solely on exploring the relation and distance between Tohno and Akari.
The last chapter would have been great, dramatic, touching if that relation had been explored has it should have been. Showing more moments of them together, more slices of their life together. So while the ending could have been great, it felt short of that due to the lack of development and background on their relations.

I'm gonna disagree with Faust and say this is not Makoto Shinkai's best work. "Beyond the Clouds" was way better. The character relations/interactions where way more touching, so was the storyline. And the animation was just as good.

Chapter I - 9
Chapter II - 7
Chapter III - 6
Final Score - it would be a 7 but due to the animation and music I rated it an 8.

Aug 29, 2007 11:15 AM
Aug 2007
i didn't quit understood the last episode...did he totaly lost contact with Akari? were they still emailing each other?...because correct me if im wrong when he got the message on his cellphone it wasn't from Akari but rather from his Ex ( unknown office girl ) who finaly decides to move on as he ignors her calls.. and does anyone know what was the message he typed but didn't send in second episode...the subs didn't translate that.
Aug 30, 2007 10:49 AM

Jun 2007
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he totally lost contact with her. Akari even had a ring on her finger in the last ep, so I guess Akari almost forgot about him. Sadly, the subs I watched 5cm/s with did not translate the messages either.
Aug 30, 2007 11:46 AM

Aug 2007
The way i see the ending

The women in the office was Kanae who finally confessed her love for Takaki. He turned her down since he was still expecting to go with Akari little does he know Akari has gotten engaged and when they meet for the next time she is going to tell him that.

So now he doesn't have Akari or Kanae and is going to die a lonely death from lung cancer (smoking kills!)

Aug 30, 2007 12:12 PM
Aug 2007
actually the women in the office isn't Kanae, I thought it was her at first too but when her co worker called her to go to the meeting he call her by her lastname which was a different lastname then Kanae's
Aug 30, 2007 9:42 PM

Jul 2007
The three main characters all move on with their lives, that's the sad part ;)
Oct 14, 2007 5:13 PM
Aug 2007
Ooh, this ending was too much for me.

And yeah, the song kinda blew the mood which the movie was building up until then.
Oct 14, 2007 6:19 PM

Jul 2007
myanimelistlogin said:

And yeah, the song kinda blew the mood which the movie was building up until then.

The song that's playing doesn't truly match the tone. I was put off on my first watch. On the second one I understood more and I kinda got why they chose that piece as opposed to something else. But on the commentary track the director says something about why he chose that piece. It's a fairly popular tune that was used in a famous production of something and generally most (Japanese) people watching would get where the song comes from and have the feeling of everyday occurrences or something along those lines. It's like how if someone used Also sprach Zarathustra is a production. It brings forward memories of evolution, journeys, robots, and Nietzsche.

Sam is my sweet peach
Oct 25, 2007 7:58 PM

Apr 2007
just finished. almost cried several times on cosmonaut. that was my fave i guess. i love sad things, heh.

10/10

i'm so glad makoto shinkai exists.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Dec 9, 2007 5:28 PM
Cool Story Bro

Dec 2007
This was quite an unusual experience for me. One of the few movies I watched with a sad ending. =(
Dec 16, 2007 2:32 AM

Nov 2007
I liked this a lot, even though I was incredibly sad afterwards. But at the same time, it just seemed so real because of how it ended. Basically what I got out of it was: People drift apart for different reasons, be it distance, beliefs or emotional.
Dec 18, 2007 10:40 PM

Sep 2007
If that last episode was as good as the first two, this movie would have broken my top 5 anime. As it is, I was disappointed. I think the last section deserved a full story, not a slide-show set to an out of place song. I'm not bothered by the fact that it wasn't a happy ending; rather, I'm disappointed that such beautiful planning was apparently truncated.

Be that as it may - still a solid 9/10, for me. Ever so close to masterpiece level, but that ending threw me for a loop.
Dec 18, 2007 11:34 PM
Nov 2007
You might not like the ending but I thought it was still a masterpiece.

It gives us the notion that the most beautiful and often desired things in life are those that are unreachable.

The song, in my opinion, didn't throw the mood away. It matched the whole theme of the movie. 'One more time, one more chance' is a masterpiece in itself.
Dec 24, 2007 4:03 AM

Nov 2007
i still wanna buy it when it comes out cause shinkai is the shit and i dont care how disappointed you unappreciative...viewers are. i just wanna know when adv is going to release the dvd if anyone knows. i will own all his work
Dec 24, 2007 4:47 AM

Oct 2007
10/10 from me.

I'll admit I love anything by Makoto Shinkai, but this one really stands above the rest.
Dec 28, 2007 4:57 PM

Nov 2007
not everyone in the world is happy. it's life. this is great in being one of the few anime tat tells unhappy endings. he's always been the more in love of the two thou. he saves her when they were kids. she leaves him. he goes to see her. they loss contact. she gets engaged and think of him as a child memory. he still waits for her. and at the end, he waits to see if she's there, she leaves him.
Jan 4, 2008 1:15 PM
Jan 2008
I know some of you think he's going to live a sad life after this but i believe that he learned his lesson and the next woman he comes love is going to be real lucky since i dont think he'll want to lose something again.

hollowxxxx said:
not everyone in the world is happy. it's life. this is great in being one of the few anime tat tells unhappy endings. he's always been the more in love of the two thou. he saves her when they were kids. she leaves him. he goes to see her. they loss contact. she gets engaged and think of him as a child memory. he still waits for her. and at the end, he waits to see if she's there, she leaves him.

I dont think that Takaki was more in love of the two but more like they had different ways of dealing with their pain. In my opinion Akari could have loved him more and be in more pain so she tried to get rid of the pain as soon as she could.
So basically I think both knew that they were not going to be together as they wanted. The difference is Akari tried to move on so she can forget about the pain and Takaki still clinged to past and not wanting to let go but in the end it looked like he was chasing after something bigger than Akari. Takaki waited too long and from watching the episode over and over it looked like Akari was still thinking about the past ( probably around college time). She might have moved on quicker but probably took her a while too maybe like 6-8 years or so. I think she did move on around 8 years. I mean lets say she moved on after 8 years and dater her fiance after that that means it took her almost 5 years to get married. Seems about right....who knows. If it was 3-5 years i still think is too long.

I know this is long but it think is kind of funny that he moved on at the time she was getting maried as if he was waiting for her to be happy before he can be happy.
kinkinJan 4, 2008 1:18 PM
Jan 22, 2008 5:28 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I just watched the original Japanese trailer and tears started coming to my eyes. The narration is just too sad and the music actually is sad if you understand the lyrics. I will watch this definitely....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 28, 2008 12:50 AM

Jul 2007
TheWestExit said:
myanimelistlogin said:

The song that's playing doesn't truly match the tone. I was put off on my first watch. On the second one I understood more and I kinda got why they chose that piece as opposed to something else. But on the commentary track the director says something about why he chose that piece. It's a fairly popular tune that was used in a famous production of something and generally most (Japanese) people watching would get where the song comes from and have the feeling of everyday occurrences or something along those lines. It's like how if someone used Also sprach Zarathustra is a production. It brings forward memories of evolution, journeys, robots, and Nietzsche.

From the song -
I’m always searching, for your figure to appear somewhere
At a street crossing, in the midst of dreams
Even though I know you couldn’t be at such a place
If a miracle were to happen here, I would show you right away
The new morning, who I’ll be from now on
And the words I never said: “I love you.”

The song was pretty much the climax of the film for me. I cried wholeheartily. It changed my life.
Jan 29, 2008 5:51 PM
Dec 2007
just finished the movie and i was reading thru posts in this thread talking about text messages.well the subtitle i got it did no show the translation of the text messages or its not include in the subs anyway could some1 tell what is the important message he recieved from her?
Jan 30, 2008 9:20 PM

Dec 2007
too sad for me.

if i unwatch it. it wouldnt be sad anymore.
Feb 5, 2008 3:02 PM

Sep 2007
The movie was certainly quite beautiful. The first part was certainly quite interesting and the second part appears to be quite similar to Voices from a Distant Star as others have said, probably because of its use of the rocket as a type of metaphor. However, I beleive that 'distance' was meant to portray his mind and thoughts as oppose to physical distance.

The third part was rather depressing, Takaki didn't move on with his life even though he claims he is moving forward. Whether consciously or subconsciously, he's searching for Akari and as time passes, it looks as though he's beginning to give up on that too and just lives day after day without meaning. Akari is even further way from Takaki than before because she has moved on with her life and have seek her own happiness. Takaki is stuck in the past.

it's a nice slice of life anime though ;)
xo_cl2Feb 5, 2008 3:06 PM
Feb 6, 2008 4:42 PM
Jan 2008
i agree this anime was very dramatic and i feel chills in body for every sad or romantic scene. so sad... T.T
Feb 13, 2008 6:22 PM

May 2007
My problem is not the ending, it is the fact that there is none, it just ends, I loved the first part and the second part was very good, but then the third had a lot of buildup and then we got an AMV which seemed like a big "I don't care about ending stories" to me.(Like Voices)
My anime list
Feb 15, 2008 2:14 AM

Sep 2007
mitamaking said:
My problem is not the ending, it is the fact that there is none, it just ends, I loved the first part and the second part was very good, but then the third had a lot of buildup and then we got an AMV which seemed like a big "I don't care about ending stories" to me.(Like Voices)

This way you can interpret those passing scenes like you want to. And I can at least believe that he get over this...
Explicit end would completely gave away hope T_T

Question:
In part 3 he says (Sugoi-Hikouki version):
"I wrote than in a text message to a woman I went out with for three years"
What time is he reffering to?
Feb 15, 2008 10:17 AM

Sep 2007
Well, a very nice Movie, I'm glad I watched it.

A simple, yet beatiful story due the simply amazing animations and details, of course I wished for a more heartwarming ending, but I'm still in the end l, a spoiled brat :D

Definetly a must-watch for everyone.
10/10
TrineasFeb 15, 2008 10:21 AM

Feb 23, 2008 2:01 PM
Jan 2008
just saw this today at Anime show 2008 and even though I managed to miss the very beginning, I loved it. the atmosphere was amazing, and I also enjoyed the kinda philosophical nature of it. and the third one, no matter what others may say, it was great, the change and everything...amazing. strong. and sad.

oh, and, the animation and detais were beautiful. seriously. wow.
Feb 23, 2008 8:01 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Avong said:
i didn't quit understood the last episode...did he totaly lost contact with Akari? were they still emailing each other?...because correct me if im wrong when he got the message on his cellphone it wasn't from Akari but rather from his Ex ( unknown office girl ) who finaly decides to move on as he ignors her calls.. and does anyone know what was the message he typed but didn't send in second episode...the subs didn't translate that.

Ahh...i know this is a long time ago but I will do the translation for everyone....

The title of the message was: This morning's dream

(Because using English to express Japanese expression is not that obvious, I'll try to do my best....)

On a grassland on an alien planet, I (was) walking with the girl (that appeared) everytime (in my dreams). Like always, her face cannot been seen. In the air, somewhere nostalgic (?) .......

Basically, the text was cut off in the cell phone display. So the last sentence is half finished.....

Then, he deleted the message (the window that appeared asked him if he wants to save this message)

Then the other message sent by his EX in ep. 3.

Hello, Touno-kun. It has been a long time (we haven't seen each other). Are you healthy?
I am extremely lost but, after all, I (sometimes) can't (support) not communicating with Touno-kun (you).

It's really a shame because MANY details in this movie are written on papers, letters and ADS. I have to pause every now and then to read them.....

Hope it helps....

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 24, 2008 1:48 AM

Feb 2008
This movie was simply beautiful! I've been wanting to watch this movie for some time, and I'm really glad I did so.
The only thing I didn't really enjoyed was the ending, I really wanted Tōno and Akari to end up together =(
I give this movie a 10/10 =D
Feb 25, 2008 2:21 PM
Feb 2008
The first time watching I was really confused since my roommate told me it was a different guy each time. After going online and reading the plot everything makes sense. I love the movie but it is so depressing with the song at the end.
Feb 26, 2008 4:51 PM

Jul 2007
This movie would've been a 10/10 if Akari and Tohno ended up together. But unfortunately, that's life. Although it's quite normal for someone to move on, the way the situation was created here made you feel sorry for Tohno. Ah well, the first episode was my fave of the three. The last two weren't as touching.
Feb 26, 2008 9:29 PM
Dec 2007
Well eventually they will see each other, since they live in the same area. Tono would see Akira married and would move on once and for all. (Or Akira could dump her husband for him :P)[ Jokes ^^]
i tried writing my signature onto the monitor screen, but it didn't come up. WHY?!!:?!!
Feb 26, 2008 9:40 PM
Feb 2008
Or they would find out that they're trapped inside anime and don't actually exist.
Feb 29, 2008 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Okay, I'm still kind of lost, but that was a FINE hour and two minutes. Good grief, the ending piano song was the most beautiful and depressing way to finish the film. Yeah, it isn't perfect, but what is in life? It made a bit more sense on the second run-through. I don't understand why they gave up on their love, though. I'm currently in a long distance relationship with the love of my life and 200 miles (3.15 hours) doesn't do anything to damper our love. In any case, 5 Centimeters per Second rang true with me and suceeded in knocking my socks off and triggering an emotional response. Well done. 10/10. Et cetera, et cetera.
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.