Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 18, 2011 9:35 AM

Nov 2007
geasscommander said:

I recollect Faust thinking he sees Gretchen, Mephistopholes trying to convince him it's Medusa and next trying to focus his attention on a theatre, before giving in to saving Gretchen.
Come to think of it, Medusa with her cut off head brings Mami in mind.

Doesn't really matter though, my point was that it's likely there are more than one things happening on Walpurchis, and I think it's clear where Homura's focus lies.
geasscommander said:
So, if Madoka was to truely follow this, I think it would be by
1. Madoka tries to help the other Puella Magi at Walpurchis, can't, and turns to QB for help, and makes a wish and becomes a Puella Magi, but it will ruin her in the end, or
2. Homura will try to help Madoka, but Madoaka wn't let her, and makes Homura save the town instead, in exchang for something happening to Madoka, possibly death.

Yes, now that the soulgem thing is out of the bag, the Madoka -> turning MS (= dying in a way) -> salvation becomes very likely, though I hope Gen Urobuchi comes up with a dark twist.
I still believe in a 3d option: Groundhog day scenario. Madoka's wish will make things go back to normal.
Feb 18, 2011 9:46 AM

Dec 2008
Kyuubei must DIE!!!
As if this shit wasn't serious enough...now we've got a love triangle.
Can you imagine how desperate Sayaka must feel right about now? She sold her soul to have Kyuubei grant her wish to heal Kamijo's hand because she loves him so much. Later, she finds out that she's a soulless shell...and then discovers that Hitomi is in love with Kamijo and plans to confess to him. A confession that he will probably say yes to, because this show is just wicked and twisted like that. And...there's nothing that Sayaka can do about it because she's basically a walking dead body.

If this were me, I'd become a total berserker! After all, I now have nothing left to live for. I'd become totally reckless in battle and purposely try to get myself killed.

Kyuubei is such an evil bastard that when/if Sayaka dies, Kamijo's hand will return to its injured state. Can't wait for the next episode.
Feb 18, 2011 10:00 AM

Aug 2008
Sayaka's reaction is normal, predictable and pitiful. She's only a freaking little girl. However, at this point Sayaka gets what she deserves. At this point, she's gotten as many warnings and as much information as anybody. At this point, I don't doubt that's she's going to serve as the example. She can say she wants to be a hero all she wants. She's just deluding herself.

I also see that maybe I've been overreacting to Kyubey. He doesn't seem evil. He's simply not human and doesn't understand humans. This misunderstanding apparently leads to him seeming evil due to his "all business" approach. Homura has been dead right all along. And the more naively these girls deal with the situation, the more frustrating it becomes to watch them.

Interesting choice of direction in the end as well, I would have liked for them to show all the violence that went along with the scene, but what they did was just as effective.

Feb 18, 2011 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
that apple eating was intense
Feb 18, 2011 10:21 AM

May 2010
The love triangle was unexpected.
What's wrong with Sayaka. She didn't even confessed and she already snapped out?
I don't know about the direction of this but still it's interesting to watch.
Feb 18, 2011 10:40 AM

May 2009
And now I take an apple, and... EAT IT!
Feb 18, 2011 10:44 AM

Aug 2008
Kyubey is so evil.... so evil. If he's really evil, he can use the "pain" he used on Sayaka to threaten the rest of the mahou shoujos.

Sayaka totally went yandere at the end. Interesting twist :D

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Feb 18, 2011 11:05 AM
Jul 2018
I can't believe the people wanting Madoka becoming a magical girl after all the shit has happened. Some should just start to hope Madoka doesn't become a magical girl. Because it worked so well with the others right?

Still, great fucking episode.
Feb 18, 2011 11:25 AM

Jan 2011
I've been wondering this for a while, but when Sayaka says, she doesn't feel any pain, does that mean she somehow sent more of her soul into the gem, like QB said could happen in the beginning. She was pretty unstable at that point.

cleo said:

I recollect Faust thinking he sees Gretchen, Mephistopholes trying to convince him it's Medusa and next trying to focus his attention on a theatre, before giving in to saving Gretchen.

(Turns through copy of Faust) Here it is. What he saw was a wraith, which is a German spirit with a cut around its neck, similar to the cut Medusa has. Normally, I would agree that it doesn't matter, but your comment was interesting because the wraith takes the appearance of what people want to see. Both Sayaka and Madoka say things they want to be in Mami, who then had head bitten off, which means... I honestly don't know. Really interesting thought though.
Feb 18, 2011 11:28 AM

Jun 2009
I have a feeling that Madoka will wish everyone to return to their normal lives at the end. And goddammit Kyubey, I wish I could kill you.

Feb 18, 2011 11:42 AM

Oct 2008
yun90 said:
I have a feeling that Madoka will wish everyone to return to their normal lives at the end. And goddammit Kyubey, I wish I could kill you.

The way this is going, I don't see a good ending.
I frankly don't think the 12th episode will resolve the conflict.
I have a hunch that the last episode will end with Madoka accepting the contract, leading to a cliffhanger or ambiguous ending. After we manage to pick up our jaws off the floor, we will salivate for the OVA or second season.
Feb 18, 2011 11:47 AM

Jul 2010
What a great episode. nuff' said
Yumekichi11 said:

Just wow. great discussion efforts.. how much time it take to make this post? if i make a post like that, with my mediocre english, it will take a complete day i guess.
Feb 18, 2011 11:55 AM

Oct 2008
Also just noticed, first witch fight without any german words!
Feb 18, 2011 12:13 PM

Aug 2007
Shinbou is probably my favorite director at this point.
waterfallsFeb 24, 2011 6:52 PM
Feb 18, 2011 12:18 PM
Feb 2011
Awesome episode. It's nice to see her all berserk and crazy. I wonder is she like that because of her emotions or is it because she used her powers too much and didn't clean her own soul gem.
Feb 18, 2011 12:25 PM

Aug 2007
Nigatsu said:
Awesome episode. It's nice to see her all berserk and crazy. I wonder is she like that because of her emotions or is it because she used her powers too much and didn't clean her own soul gem.
I guess both. Plus Kyubey making her nuts.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Feb 18, 2011 12:34 PM

May 2010
yun90 said:

Frankly that would just ruin the whole show for me.
It might be weird, but I don't want a happy ending, since that doesn't fit in with the rest.
I want it to continue down this awesome, dark, yet very sad road, because that's what makes this anime so badass.

This show is rare, there aren't many like this out there, so I'm gonna be pissed if the ending is ruined.

Oh well.
Overall a very intense episode.
Sadly, Sayaka is losing it and I don't think she'll stay alive for much longer.
And Kyouko, fff, I love her. <3

love is such a strange thing
but with you, it doesn't matter

Feb 18, 2011 1:12 PM

Jul 2007
They dumped yet another set of suggestive images. This time, we've got serpents, a tree, apples, a sword-wielding angel, church imagery, etc. With enough squinting, I suppose it's possible to connect this to the Fall of Man with its themes of temptation (Kyuubey or Kyouko), power/knowledge, realization and shame (swapping "nakedness" with "being zombies"), exile and alienation, and mostly good people royally screwing themselves thanks to ambiguous ToS.

Anyway, people have been speculating for a while that Sayaka may become the witch shown in the prologue, but I just couldn't see how she could ever turn into a malevolent force given her set of ideals. Loss of sanity due to emotional breakdown seems possible, but it sounds rather cheap.
Feb 18, 2011 1:14 PM

Nov 2007
Omniknight said:
Also just noticed, first witch fight without any german words!

There were runes, saying Elsa Maria (the name of the witch)

geasscommander said:
I've been wondering this for a while, but when Sayaka says, she doesn't feel any pain, does that mean she somehow sent more of her soul into the gem, like QB said could happen in the beginning. She was pretty unstable at that point.

The way Nutbladder translates it: she can block out pain (in varying degrees), because her consciousness isn't directly connected to her body. If she wants, she can block all pain, but he warns her against it, as it blunts her reactions.
Ofcourse we've seen it also means that her subconscious takes over, making her go Berserk-mode. It'll certainly have effect on her soulgem.

geasscommander said:
cleo said:

(Turns through copy of Faust) Here it is. What he saw was a wraith, which is a German spirit with a cut around its neck, similar to the cut Medusa has. Normally, I would agree that it doesn't matter, but your comment was interesting because the wraith takes the appearance of what people want to see. Both Sayaka and Madoka say things they want to be in Mami, who then had head bitten off, which means... I honestly don't know. Really interesting thought though.

Here's a modern translation:
http://en.goethe-faust.org/first-part-of-the-tragedy/walpurgis-night
"Deluded fool! 'Tis magic, I declare!
To each she doth his lov'd
one's image wear."

Madoka - Mami?
Sayaka - Kamiyou? or Mami?
cleoFeb 18, 2011 1:24 PM
Feb 18, 2011 1:48 PM
Apr 2009
Mony-Chan said:

It might be weird, but I don't want a happy ending, since that doesn't fit in with the rest.
I want it to continue down this awesome, dark, yet very sad road, because that's what makes this anime so badass.

This show is rare, there aren't many like this out there, so I'm gonna be pissed if the ending is ruined.

I don't think that would really be a "happy ending", since as we know... wishes have their consequences. So, maybe their lifes would return to normal, but something would've gone wrong for sure.
Feb 18, 2011 2:17 PM

Jun 2009
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that my prediction for next episode is that Sayaka commits suicide in a spectacularly bloody manner. Probably seppuku.
Feb 18, 2011 2:20 PM

Nov 2010
I can just tell SOMEONE is gonna be dead next EP, too bad it can't be useless Madoka =_="
Feb 18, 2011 2:24 PM

Sep 2009
That love triangle quite literally came out nowhere and is quite contrived in my opinion. Still, it was a fantastic episode. I've been waiting for Sayaka to go batshit insane, and here she is. Hoo boy, this is going to get even better.
Feb 18, 2011 2:39 PM
Sep 2007
Mony-Chan said:
yun90 said:

Oh well.
Overall a very intense episode.
Sadly, Sayaka is losing it and I don't think she'll stay alive for much longer.
And Kyouko, fff, I love her. <3

I agree, it seems 2 unlikley for a happy ending scenario. But I also guessed that Madoka might use her wish to save others...the dark side would be that she herself would have to suffer for it...I think that'd b pretty tragic since Madoka is this innocent figure. I kinda want a happy ending, just not happy enough to ruin the series. Bittersweet in a way:)
Feb 18, 2011 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
Yuunagi said:
They dumped yet another set of suggestive images. This time, we've got serpents, a tree, apples, a sword-wielding angel, church imagery, etc. With enough squinting, I suppose it's possible to connect this to the Fall of Man with its themes of temptation (Kyuubey or Kyouko), power/knowledge, realization and shame (swapping "nakedness" with "being zombies"), exile and alienation, and mostly good people royally screwing themselves thanks to ambiguous ToS.

Anyway, people have been speculating for a while that Sayaka may become the witch shown in the prologue, but I just couldn't see how she could ever turn into a malevolent force given her set of ideals. Loss of sanity due to emotional breakdown seems possible, but it sounds rather cheap.

The Fall of Man comparison's are definitely there, love it. That aside, am I the only person who finds Kyubey fascinating? Many people seem to find him cruel but I don't see it that way. He reminds me of a machine, very logical and calculating, however that does not make him evil. His methods to me are fine, and he has a point: she didn't ask. Would you buy a new car without asking questions? I love his character, he is a definitely a plus for the show. Other than that, Kyouko's story was well done and Sayaka....poor girl is all I can say. Oh 3 things:

1. Claris+Kalafina=win
2. I love the dialogue on this show, so smooth and fluid, but not rushed. Perfect
3. The art is so fitting and beautiful (to me anyway), I love it.
Feb 18, 2011 2:59 PM

Aug 2009
waterfalls said:
Was it my imagination, or was there a Bad Apple reference in the fight at the end?
Nope, just one of animation technique that Shaft loves to use.
Feb 18, 2011 3:05 PM

Aug 2010
Nice episode! I saw the relationship troubles comming, but that ending, waw, you got me there! ^^

Feb 18, 2011 3:18 PM

Dec 2009
Madoka needs to transform already in the next !

Mami is still my favourite ( but I also like Kyouko )

Please bring her back to life ;(
yuno6.jpg
Feb 18, 2011 3:37 PM

Jun 2010
Great episode. I liked the plot twist that Hitomi is in love with Kamijo and Sayaka can't do much. If Kamijo choose Hitomi, then Sayaka will become lunatic for good, I believe. And for a more dramatic moment, I'd like Sayaka to die, maybe that will push Madoka to take her place and become a puella magi.

But I wonder about Homura. She said that perhaps she is not human, so I wonder about her background. So far she is one of the most mysterious characters.

Kyouko's past was also touching, it should be expected that it was something bad.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Feb 18, 2011 3:42 PM
Apr 2010
I was probably one of the few (if not the only one) people that tried to get the bright side of Kyuubey, but not anymore. I want to stomp on him/it!!!!! D:<

HOWEVER, I do see the practical reasoning behind all of it.

Also, if the purpose of the soul gem is to protect the soul so that the human body isn't such a big factor, doesn't that mean Mami would technically still be alive? There was no sign it being shattered when her head got....caught in the monster.

As for Sakura's background, I have a bad feeling that Sayaka fate is going to be the same. Hopefully not though, but as said in the anime, "A life usually isn't enough to make a miracle."

Oh, and wow, a sudden love polygon? If things weren't hard to absorb already.... They add this complication too. Oh and I think its funny that Hitomi is pretty much enforcing what Sakura said about not regretting anything, especially about Kyousuke.

Oh and go nuts Sayaka!!! <3
Feb 18, 2011 4:08 PM

Jul 2010
Poor Sayaka-chan lost her marbles. Next episode won't be pretty at all...
Feb 18, 2011 4:30 PM

Feb 2008
taki-desu said:
nishimari said:
Kyubey, you're a diabolic sadist.

I must be the only one who finds him awesome aren't I?

i agree...

actually everyone pretty much misunderstands him. many have a vested interest in the other characters so their predicament makes them antagonize Kyubey. when you take a neutral stance, just about everything you do could either be seen as bad or good the pending on who is seeing it. thus far, he has done nothing that would be considered deceitful.....unless they say otherwise later.

in case you haven't noticed, this is a "be careful what you wish for" type of story. Kyubey is merely a broker and a provider; not a moral judge or otherwise an idiot filter.

-Vid said:
Oh man. I just LOVED it when Kyubey tortured Sayaka. It was like.. you pathetic piece of crap mahou shoujo, I'm the boss here. Go kill witches for me, get some grief seeds and shut up. :

that was not torture. that was a very precise way of showing her exactly what she got herself into. it is certainly better than having a spear driven in her chest. in fact i might even go as far to say that he didn't even have to teach her that. that was more like a scene of a teacher demonstrating to his student. he can probably show them what it would be like before they make their wish directly but he wont do anything or tell them anything unless they ask. i am beginning to think that he probably has some really strict rules that govern him. he takes a completely neutral stance, which is evidenced by the fight between the two Mahou Shoujo.
kisamiFeb 18, 2011 4:35 PM
Feb 18, 2011 4:53 PM
Feb 2010
So Sayaka has gone Bellatrix crazy which sucks for her. Once your that insane there's no going back.

How are we on episode 7 and Madoka still isn't a Mahou Shoujo? I'm guessing that her wish will be along the lines of something like everyone who will eventually will be brought back or she'll wish that they could have a choice to either stay a magical girl or go back to normal. In earlier episodes she always talked about it not being fair so I'm guessing her wish will make it more fair for everyone.

The whole Hitomi liking Sayaka's guy kinda came out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting that and it seemed somewhat random and rushed.
Feb 18, 2011 5:14 PM

Jan 2010
The more I watch this, the more I think this is going to end on a total mind f**k

Btw, Sayaka has officially snapped =/
Feb 18, 2011 6:41 PM

Jan 2010
Explains why QB goes after little girls because they don't think about the fine print. Well at least I haven't seen him go after older girls who will ask for questions. I don't really watch Mahou Shoujo this was just an exception because I got the impression that it wasn't just about cute little girls. I hope there is a retirement age or else this is the worst job ever.

I also don't think QB is evil I think he can't relate to humans(the end justify the means). I personally don't see why the characters and some people think it's a big deal to have your soul removed. If Sayaka was able to cry that must mean there is some human left in her. Besides being a zombie would probably cause problems come your physical exam. It's better this way even if it isn't nice because the body can take a beating.

I don't think Sayaka is going to die either because Madoka is trying to keep an eye on her. It's not like Madoka can do anything but I think QB wants Sayaka to die so Madoka goes Mahou Shoujo. Homura will probably do something before Sayaka does something stupid. Also i doubt Mahou shoujo become witches but the witches are like like zergs. Because most of these girls are in it for the grief seeds the witches can make more witches (Spawn Zerglings). I am probably wrong but thats my opinion.
Feb 18, 2011 6:44 PM

Feb 2010
I loved Kyouko in this episode.^^

Also, the ending sequence was epic. So much evangelion feelings in Sayaka's reaction. \o/
Feb 18, 2011 6:56 PM

Oct 2010
layfonkun said:
Am I the only person who finds Kyubey fascinating? Many people seem to find him cruel but I don't see it that way. He reminds me of a machine, very logical and calculating, however that does not make him evil. His methods to me are fine, and he has a point: she didn't ask. Would you buy a new car without asking questions?
That's my other option if I get Shafted about him. If that is so, then it would mean someone is behind his creation and that means someone is higher. This could be a Bokurano where we may never know the higher ups but we may have a vision of them to see what he or they look like. Anyone who has seen Bokurano would know exactly what I mean. In any case I want to meet this person and slap him out for killing off innocent girls like that. This game is shit and lives are playing around in a cycle that is infinite unless someone breaks it like in Bokurano through a means it will never end, looking at Homura. Even her I am not sure if putting a end to the leader in Walpurgisnacht can solve things since he may be just part of the higher ups but not the leader.
kisami said:
-Vid said:
Oh man. I just LOVED it when Kyubey tortured Sayaka. It was like.. you pathetic piece of crap mahou shoujo, I'm the boss here. Go kill witches for me, get some grief seeds and shut up. :
That was not torture. that was a very precise way of showing her exactly what she got herself into. it is certainly better than having a spear driven in her chest. in fact i might even go as far to say that he didn't even have to teach her that. that was more like a scene of a teacher demonstrating to his student. he can probably show them what it would be like before they make their wish directly but he wont do anything or tell them anything unless they ask. i am beginning to think that he probably has some really strict rules that govern him. he takes a completely neutral stance, which is evidenced by the fight between the two Mahou Shoujo.
Also I think because of showing her that she tested it out to the max during her fight with the witch. Apart from Hitomi influencing her in that, a though passed through me as I see this for 2nd time, that of Sayaka testing out how slow her moves are when she is damaged a lot. Turns out she finds they are not slow at all and the pain does not feel at all anymore.
Yumekichi11Feb 18, 2011 7:03 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 18, 2011 7:33 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Byfuzzerabbit said:

I also don't think QB is evil I think he can't relate to humans(the end justify the means). I personally don't see why the characters and some people think it's a big deal to have your soul removed. If Sayaka was able to cry that must mean there is some human left in her. Besides being a zombie would probably cause problems come your physical exam. It's better this way even if it isn't nice because the body can take a beating.

Exactly, I don't get why they are making a big deal about it. KB is the most reasonable character in this anime, along with Homura. QB explained it VERY clearly: this lich-like characteristic is very handy in fighting witches. Although my world view does grow more nihilistic by every passing year, so my opinion cannot be generalized.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 18, 2011 7:41 PM

Jan 2011
Oooh, good episode. :D Really interested in where the love triangle will go, and I'm glad that Hitomi will play an important role in Sayaka's story now. The battle at the end between Sayaka and the witch was really creepy, and that evil grin.. uh oh. >_<
Feb 18, 2011 7:42 PM

Apr 2009
If Kyubey isn't evil, then at the very least he's still a heartless bastard. He's definitely bounded by some sort of rules although he pushes them as far as he can. Even if he can't force them to make a contract he's still extremely pushy and deceptive into coercing them into making a contract. He's not allowed to make suggestions although he can push small temptations into their ears.He is likely not allowed to interfere with the workings of the world either, except for contacting potential Puella Magi and contracting with them. He is also likely unable to attack others and unable to defend himself except via running away.

It also seems that Kyubey definitely has a genuine agenda for fighting witches. So far all of his arguments for the purpose of converting souls into soul gems are all for fighting witches in the best manner possible. Due to the nature of the soul and of magic in the Madoka world, converting the soul into the soul gem is the best course of action for enabling former humans to fight witches which are a real threat to the stability of the world.
Feb 18, 2011 9:18 PM

Feb 2010
Did not anticipate that Hitomi bombshell.... brilliant.

This show is getting better and better...
Feb 18, 2011 9:18 PM

Feb 2008
Byfuzzerabbit said:
Explains why QB goes after little girls because they don't think about the fine print. Well at least I haven't seen him go after older girls who will ask for questions. I don't really watch Mahou Shoujo this was just an exception because I got the impression that it wasn't just about cute little girls. I hope there is a retirement age or else this is the worst job ever.

I don't think Sayaka is going to die either because Madoka is trying to keep an eye on her. It's not like Madoka can do anything but I think QB wants Sayaka to die so Madoka goes Mahou Shoujo. Homura will probably do something before Sayaka does something stupid. Also i doubt Mahou shoujo become witches but the witches are like like zergs. Because most of these girls are in it for the grief seeds the witches can make more witches (Spawn Zerglings). I am probably wrong but thats my opinion.

he doesn't just go after anybody. it has to be one who is already predisposed to being a mahou shoujo that AGREES to be come one. i guess being able to see QB is also a requirement. if you noticed madoka can still use telepathy but she isn't one yet. also in most mythologies, adults lose their ability to see and interact with fantastical entities. ie: imaginary friends, going through a cupboard to a strange world...etc.... the idea that adults lose their innocence and therefore their proficiency in magic, witchery etc....
Feb 18, 2011 11:04 PM

Nov 2009
Hi folks, I have read through all of your relevant points and would like to point out certain stuff .

Virtue and moral is relative. The way that we define good and bad is through our limited perceptive of what society and the environment defines us. In that aspect, Madoka, Sayaka and even Mami-san (as most of you would like to call her) (and Kyuubey too), could be immoral to a group of outsiders. (For example, they are bad because they are disrupting what a natural cycle of nature such as witch regeneration and stuff like that.)

Extending the argument, Kyuubey thinks that what he is doing is the so called "right" way because he is preventing the "grief" of the world, the witches, from doing evil to the world, by contracting little girls in an equivalent exchange of their commitment to fighting witches (and the after mentioned effects) with a miracle that could not exist in the standard view of the physical world itself . Mami-san, too, by dedicating her life to fighting witches. But he is "evil" too because he "tricks" little girls into doing his work for him.

By extending the argument even further, we could see that the concept of virtue, good and evil is being even more flawed, and that is even before computing all of the paradigms of different people and their "noble" (that is even being disputed-what is really right and what is really wrong) perception of morality itself. This, could lead to a big big question of what really is ethics?

What I could conclude in a almost certain term then, is that the commonly used perception of a part of morality is only what today's "superior" (superior as in society's alpha humans), only want us to behave as, through the use of "fear" and "reward" so as to maintain the status quo of the community.

And I just realize that I have deviated off the topic by this point. Hopefully, someone could make another topic regarding to this and we have a nice discussion then.

The rest of the stuff I will post at a later time, especially on what Yumekichi said on the first page. Seeya.

PS: Not so much Faust references eh? Just curious.
I hate myself. That is my philosophy.
Feb 18, 2011 11:50 PM

Sep 2010
Another superb episode.... Madoka Magica Never disappoints me..... :D
Feb 18, 2011 11:57 PM

Oct 2008
Kyubei is so sadistic. O__O

And Sadaka just lost the plot lol.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 19, 2011 3:51 AM
Mar 2010
Am I the only one who see's how the little rat thing is justified? First of all he took their soul out of their bodies so they wouldn't die as fast, a plus if you look at reason. On top of that they still have a soul! They're acting like he threw their soul away or something.

Also think about it this way. Little rat thing doesn't know or understand human customs. Think if you traveled to a different country. You wouldn't know anything about their people, their ways. You wouldn't see the wrong in something they might.

He hurt Sayaka? He was just adding example to his reasoning. Actions speak louder than words. My theory there is he let her feel the pain from her fight with the apple girl, saying this is what you would have felt, be grateful that gem isn't part of you anymore.

His smile? I'm sorry but that reminds me of the racists thoughts about blacks nose and jews lips (I got that right, right?) What if that's just the way he is, the way he looks. Hmmmm? Maybe he's frowning on the inside (hahahaha no he isn't.)

He's doing his job and creating Magical Girls. He doesn't need to explain unless they ask. Think about it. If you don't read the fine print on that contract you just signed, you're fucked either which way. Read then sign. Terms and agreements. You know. Common sense.

Oh if you haven't noticed I don't do well with names :D
Feb 19, 2011 5:09 AM

Dec 2009
Feb 19, 2011 5:13 AM

Nov 2007
Yuunagi said:

Well we've seen that after Hitomi's revelation, she thought it would've been better if she hadn't saved her in ep 4. Her pain can lead her to do things that contradict her morals and ideals, and that contradiction inside her will (probably) be her doom.
Turning cynical like Kyouko isn't an option for her, as her morals won't allow that.

On top of that we've seen she's quick to jump to conclusions, she's too impulsive, she's quite intolerant about anything contradicting her way of thinking (with a tendency of a black-and-white way of thinking), and she has no problem with violence for the good course.
She's a very different idealist from peace-loving Madoka.

She's been through the 5 stages of grief, hit rock-bottom, and now she knows she can kill.
PV suggests she's wants to be a martyr, an ally of justice, as she's lost her wish.
Noble perhaps, but not very healthy.
She really wants to be selfless and idealistic, but I can easily see her getting too dogmatic and extreme, and thus turn into the spitting image of the enemy.
Given the similarity between wishes and curses, it's a small step from there to become a witch.

Aside from that, what started the speculation was this:

The hospital Kaiyou was staying in, was in Madoka's 'dream' in ep 1.

nerdyguy said:
Extending the argument, Kyuubey thinks that what he is doing is the so called "right" way because he is preventing the "grief" of the world, the witches, from doing evil to the world, by contracting little girls in an equivalent exchange of their commitment to fighting witches (and the after mentioned effects) with a miracle that could not exist in the standard view of the physical world itself . Mami-san, too, by dedicating her life to fighting witches. But he is "evil" too because he "tricks" little girls into doing his work for him.

Exactly.
By human standards, an evil person is usually defined as one who understands what's right, but intentionally disregards those moral standards anyway.
So by human standards, QB is certainly evil.
But can we hold something inhuman to human standards?

It's become clear that more knowledge for the MG's leads to more suffering and despair. In that respect, he might be doing them a favor by witholding knowledge.

nerdyguy said:

How about making that topic yourself?
It's a nice deviation, but I agree that a discussion on good and evil & wrong or right (also from the POV of the characters, who all have their flaws) doesn't belong in an episode thread.

nerdyguy said:

PS: Not so much Faust references eh? Just curious.

Eh?
Plenty in the series I'd say, and it's been brought up in almost all the episode threads.
But not so much in this ep (if that's what you meant).

Mikenter said:
He's doing his job and creating Magical Girls. He doesn't need to explain unless they ask. Think about it. If you don't read the fine print on that contract you just signed, you're fucked either which way. Read then sign. Terms and agreements. You know. Common sense.
Except he doesn't hand out those fine prints, which from his pov is probably quite understandable.
But us humans like to know what we're getting into before making a choice, and in that respect it wasn't a fair choice.
cleoFeb 19, 2011 6:03 AM
Feb 19, 2011 6:32 AM

Aug 2010
All I can say is that I finally recognize the sound in Mahou Shoujo Madoka as brilliant. The light, dark ambient music is exceptional and all the seiyus are relaying the feelings they should have...
The actions seems to pick and somehow I'm really glad that Madoka isn't becoming a Mahou Shoujo. Also, Kyubei seems to be the biggest antagonist in this show. As for the art, Shaft is going big time. I really liked the stylized art in this episode. The love triangle is a big addition I think and as it seems, it will greatly influence Sayaka's performances...
With all that said, I'm nearly able to give a 10 to this show, which surely is a rare gem in the rocks...next episode will tell everything to me :D
Feb 19, 2011 6:37 AM
Aug 2009
I think at the end Madoka (if she becomes a magical girl at all) will wish for there to be no more magical girls, and the result will be her being immortal and having to fight witches for all of eternity. I'm guessing everyone will be dead by that point (Sayaka, Homura, Kyouko, and Mami) for her to do that.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

628 by GuhTheJado »»
May 12, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.