Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2011 11:07 AM

Jan 2011
If your wish influenced your powers, then wouldn't Mami's wish to stay alive, and the fact that her body didn't have a soul, support that she is still alive? At this point, I would be fine with her staying dead as it makes the show more interesting.

Also, started reading Faust just because of this show, and read the part of Walpurgis night. Like people said, it's a large gathering of Witches, but what I find interesting is that it is the witch's Sabbath, and the devil is suppose to award them for their service. So who is suppose to award the witches in the show? (I'm looking at you, QB)
Feb 12, 2011 11:24 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Kyubey, you are the perfect embodiment of my sentiment towards this series' characters.

Finally, we get development from Homura and Kyubey.

Unfortunately, the chances that Kyubey is evil has dropped significantly. He is just a true neutral character to balance the world. And honestly, WHO cares where the soul is located?

Also, the phylactery (D&D Lich) role of the soul gem is pretty cool. The creators must have been D&D fans.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 12, 2011 12:18 PM

Nov 2009
humanahumana humanaagewagwg... Epic.
Feb 12, 2011 12:51 PM

Jun 2009
Dusk252 said:
Yes I did. And you actually quoted the part of my post where I said that. I have almost no doubts that she can indeed teleport. But I still put the hypothesis that she may have been unable to move.

Oh, i read that quickly and didn't pay attention, sorry. ‿‿
desolatoFeb 12, 2011 3:34 PM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 12, 2011 1:04 PM

Oct 2009
Wow, Kyubei is getting more evil every episode. So he contracts then to gather grief seeds for him?
Feb 12, 2011 2:52 PM

Jun 2008
HE NEVER STOPS!!!!!!

desolatoFeb 13, 2011 3:46 AM
Feb 12, 2011 3:18 PM

Sep 2008
Regarding claims that mami is still alive. Can we not get our heads around the fact that she was eaten alive? Her body was chewed to a bloody pulp, and then swallowed and bathed in acids for a short period of time. Yes she had a healing factor. Yes she had white magic (healing magic). Doesn't change the fact that there's no saving that body. Unless they tell us where her soul gem is (assuming it's not still in the witchzone and lost forever), and unless they introduce a means of controling a new body with the soul gem, she's gone.
Feb 12, 2011 3:25 PM

Aug 2009
This episode has definitely made Madoka Magica my favourite anime of the winter season. It's simply on a different level compared to the rest of the line-up.

Also, I've just seen on YouTube the full version of Magia and it's so amazing, trully powerful song. Kalafina never let me down.
Feb 12, 2011 3:47 PM

Nov 2010
Hmm... About the whole Mami might still be alive topic I'm guessing maybe if you get killed in your transformed form then you're pretty much a goner. I mean, the soul gems sort of disappeared when they transformed. Also, Kyouko sounded like she killed other Puella Magis/Mahou Shoujos/Chicks with Sharp Objects before. Like she didn't hesitate to attack Sayaka at all meaning she probably did this before.
Feb 12, 2011 3:57 PM

Nov 2007
geasscommander said:
If your wish influenced your powers, then wouldn't Mami's wish to stay alive, and the fact that her body didn't have a soul, support that she is still alive?

It's been suggested her wish was: I don't want to die alone, also because she's found happiness right before dying. So her wish was fulfilled.
cleoFeb 13, 2011 2:26 AM
Feb 12, 2011 5:03 PM

Jul 2008
I don't understand Homura at all. She says she will take care of Sayaka and even plans to fight her, but then goes to the trouble of saving her Soul Gem. Irregular indeed.

Maybe they are all together against Qyubey now XD
Feb 12, 2011 5:12 PM

Sep 2010
Well....damn...
Feb 12, 2011 5:47 PM

Apr 2009
By the way, am I the only one who thought that Kyouko's wish was to "never become fat"? Since that's about the only reasonable explanation for her not being twice as wide she is now, given her habits. Either that, or she spends all her free time jumping it off on 'Dog Drug Reinforcement'.
Feb 12, 2011 7:34 PM

Oct 2008
Monad said:
HE NEVER STOPS!!!!!!

Homura is too awesome. She'll never let Madoka make a contract.
desolatoFeb 13, 2011 3:47 AM
Feb 12, 2011 8:35 PM
Jul 2009
GarLogan78 said:
I don't understand Homura at all. She says she will take care of Sayaka and even plans to fight her, but then goes to the trouble of saving her Soul Gem. Irregular indeed.

Homura wanted to take care of Sayaka personally so Kyoko wouldn't kill her, which could push Madoka to contract. Unlike Kyoko, Homura can punch Sayaka's lights out without too much harm. Besides, Homura needs Sayka out of the way only until after the Walpurgis Night.

Anway, Homura's all kinds of awesome. Really like her character.
Feb 12, 2011 9:31 PM

Sep 2008
Sae said:
By the way, am I the only one who thought that Kyouko's wish was to "never become fat"? Since that's about the only reasonable explanation for her not being twice as wide she is now, given her habits. Either that, or she spends all her free time jumping it off on 'Dog Drug Reinforcement'.

As a mahou shojo I'm sure she expends enough calories to offset her love of tayaki and pocky. I mean it's hardly the most fattening choice of snackfoods available. We've got the grains, the red bean paste, and a remarkably mild amount of chocolate between the two of them. As a mahou shojo I'm sure her rate of physical activity is similar to that of any other manner of warrior, and she spends her off time playing ddr. Seems like she could probably eat like Michael Phelps and still maintain the trim figure of... Michael Phelps.
Feb 12, 2011 9:41 PM

Oct 2010
geasscommander said:
Also, started reading Faust just because of this show, and read the part of Walpurgis night. Like people said, it's a large gathering of Witches, but what I find interesting is that it is the witch's Sabbath, and the devil is suppose to award them for their service. So who is suppose to award the witches in the show? (I'm looking at you, QB)
Exactly my friend! Kyuubey may very well be just a vessel for that last boss.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 13, 2011 2:49 AM

Nov 2007
GarLogan78 said:

It depends on which subs you're watching.
gg: Homura says she wants to handle it (Sayaka) quietly and continues to say "if I defeat her, I'll leave this town."
Nutbladder & Yesy: Homura says she wants to settle things (Sayaka) peacefully and continues to say "once that's defeated (referring to Walpurchis night), I'll leave this town.
cleoFeb 13, 2011 2:52 AM
Feb 13, 2011 4:00 AM

Jun 2007
Interesting, looks like Puella Magi and liches have something in common...

Kyubey is scheming as usual, wonder where that grief seed he took in really went..

Sayaka is definitely setting herself up to fall hard.

The mention of Walpurgis means some very nasty battles are likely to come very soon...
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Feb 13, 2011 7:09 AM

Dec 2009
Feb 13, 2011 8:10 AM

Jan 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
Exactly my friend! Kyuubey may very well be just a vessel for that last boss.

That would explain why he stores the grief seeds. I mean, it doesn't show that he destroys or purifies them, so what else can he use them for.
geasscommanderFeb 13, 2011 11:15 AM
Feb 13, 2011 8:54 AM

Aug 2010
cleo said:
GarLogan78 said:

It depends on which subs you're watching.
gg: Homura says she wants to handle it (Sayaka) quietly and continues to say "if I defeat her, I'll leave this town."
Nutbladder & Yesy: Homura says she wants to settle things (Sayaka) peacefully and continues to say "once that's defeated (referring to Walpurchis night), I'll leave this town.

I watched gg too and was confused by that. Everything makes more sense with the second sub.

On a side note: Is this the first/only series of Winter 2011 (that is reasonably popular) to hit a 8.0 on the ratings? Level E is really close but everyone else is far.
Feb 13, 2011 9:04 AM

Oct 2008
xelloss said:

The mention of Walpurgis means some very nasty battles are likely to come very soon...

I hope Shaft is saving their animation money for the later episodes.
Plot twists and all this discussion is awesome, but what would really put this anime into legendary territory is an episode dedicated to fighting =D
Feb 13, 2011 10:39 AM

Jan 2010
Akiyama said:
Let's challenge.
http://void.heteml.jp/flash/throw_gem/

Ahaha I played man I only got as far as throw 4!!!
Feb 13, 2011 10:40 AM

Jul 2010
Feb 13, 2011 11:01 AM

Jun 2010
This show is becoming intense!
Anyway, Kyuubey is... a freakin' monster, he deserves to die! probably as a final boss as these other people above me are saying
anyone else hate Kyouko? but I also have to admit, I love her Pocky eating :P
Feb 13, 2011 11:13 AM

Jan 2011
Akiyama said:
Let's challenge.

That game is awesome even though my best is only 5
geasscommanderFeb 13, 2011 3:24 PM
Feb 13, 2011 2:18 PM

Sep 2007
This show is gettint darker and darker... I like it!
Also, Kyubey is so freaking frightening @_@

Feb 13, 2011 3:47 PM

Aug 2008
What episode three did with brutality, this episode does with subtlety. In
essence, they're either already dead (which gives what Homura said last episode
much more relevance and power) or they're basically trapped in their soul gem w/
no body to return to. It's a hell of a thing to not mention, or for a young
girl to realize. Even the hardcore hunter Kyoko didn't know and was hammered by
that truth. It did seem like Homura knew though. She immediately hauled ass
after that soul gem.

Feb 13, 2011 6:47 PM

May 2009
Makes me wonder how Kyubey would react in contrast to taking in a Grief Seed if it were replaced with a Soul Gem.

Feb 13, 2011 10:01 PM

May 2009
I felt like I just got hit upside the head. Again.

And damn you Kyubey!
Feb 13, 2011 10:50 PM

Oct 2010
zimno said:
Akiyama said:
Let's challenge.
http://steinsgate.tv/index.html

Huh!? O_O It's made by the same people as this series? That's going to be great! Magical Girls change to Sci-fi funanza.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 13, 2011 11:17 PM

Nov 2009
Wow at Madoka's toss, sometimes her naivete is annoying. But wow, I didn't expect that little twist, and I'm also interested in Homura's past.

& omg that techno version of the OP song is amaaazing, i want.
Feb 13, 2011 11:27 PM

Sep 2009
lol kubey ...you sounds like a devil xD
Feb 14, 2011 12:19 AM

Apr 2007
Kyubey is becoming more and more clearly a serious dick! I bet Madoka will find a way to use magic without needing to become a soul gem and then proceed to wipe the floor with Kyubey as a last boss. I also bet every time Kyubey ingests a grief seed, his power grows because he is evil and this is all a huge plot to become an ultimate being or something. Hell, I even bet the witches are somehow in the right (maybe not their methods but theyre probably fighting against Kyubey) or maybe they are mages who rebelled against Kyubey and he made them like that. This show is definitely becoming the darkest magical girl anime Ive ever seen.

BTW, LOL at the flash game. I got a few drops. Its a fun time-waster. Nice find!
Blergh.
Feb 14, 2011 1:19 AM

Oct 2010
Akiyama said:
Let's challenge.

Oh lol. That's a good one. Only got to 3 throws btw. Speed keeps changing at random.
Feb 14, 2011 3:20 AM

Jul 2007
I wonder why I didn't notice this earlier...

In episode 6, Kyuubey casually mentions that mahou shoujo are virtually immortal as long as their Soul Gem is kept intact.

Now, recall a certain creature in episode 3 that took a direct hit from a cannon/giant rifle, regenerated continuously after repeated explosions within its body, and died only after another magical girl stepped on an unidentified object propped on a nearby chair.

"You normally walk around with them, so accidents like this rarely happen."
YuunagiFeb 14, 2011 4:07 AM
Feb 14, 2011 10:17 AM

Dec 2008
I just listened to the full ed half a dozen times in a row so eargasmc. I want the OST nao!

Really love this series!!
Feb 14, 2011 12:09 PM

Feb 2010
Mother of God I thought she died.
Feb 14, 2011 2:30 PM

Oct 2008
Episode 7 - Can I face my true feelings?

Once again, open ended to what the next episode will be about.
Who will face their feelings? Madoka's feelings to become a MS? Sayaka's feelings towards Kamijo? Kyouko's feelings about the revelation?

Someone mentioned it somewhere, but if you flip the preview image upside down, the bodies do make a word similar to death.

Also, does anyone know when or if the BGM or OST of this anime is going to be released?

edit: merged posts
desolatoFeb 15, 2011 3:18 AM
Feb 14, 2011 4:56 PM

Jul 2009
For some reason, I just hate this anime, cause everyone seems to be evil. The feeling coming out from the cover is totally not the same as its content. >.<

Kyubey is such an evil kid, I would destroy him in half. He works like a businessman: never talks about the dark things of a contract, I see.
Feb 14, 2011 6:29 PM

Nov 2007
Omniknight said:
Episode 7 - Can I face my true feelings?

Once again, open ended to what the next episode will be about.
Who will face their feelings? Madoka's feelings to become a MS? Sayaka's feelings towards Kamijo? Kyouko's feelings about the revelation?.

As I said earlier, I fear for Sayaka.
Moments before Mami died, she expressed she'd never been so happy fighting.
We've heard Sayaka say the same when she heard Kamijou play Ave Maria.
Since that moment, her life has been saved by Homura 2x.
Will Homura be there the 3d time?

Part of the deal between Faust and Mephistopheles is, that if Faust is so happy he wants to stay in that moment forever, he will die in that instant and be consigned to hell.
The show doesn't follow the instant-drop-dead scenario, but I think it's safe to say Sayaka is living on borrowed time.

cheerioz said:
The feeling coming out from the cover is totally not the same as its content. >.<
Yeah, that's what Madoka is feeling too right now.
Remember her drawings, and thinking it sounded wonderful to be a MS?
'Not as pretty as it seems' being the general point of the show, I think the cover pic is brilliant .
cleoFeb 14, 2011 6:53 PM
Feb 14, 2011 8:00 PM

Jul 2010
why does not anybody try to contract with this guy?
Feb 14, 2011 8:56 PM

Oct 2008
desolatoFeb 15, 2011 3:19 AM
Feb 15, 2011 9:11 AM

Nov 2009
No body died this episode. Unless their soul gem is destroyed they are still alive.

Which brings us back to Mami. I also got a feeling she might still be alive.

I will go with the amoral Kybei over the evil one. Amoral villains/heroes are always interesting. It makes the show less back and white.
Feb 15, 2011 3:05 PM

Feb 2010
darkzero999 said:
I will go with the amoral Kybei over the evil one. Amoral villains/heroes are always interesting. It makes the show less back and white.

He's definitely working toward his own goal, which makes him that much more endearing ^^

"Hey! This is a great opportunity for you to become a Puella Magi. Pleasepleaseplease make a contract with me, Madoka?"
Feb 15, 2011 3:32 PM

Sep 2010
Here's a joke I made about Kyubey after watching this episode, which then my friend decided to turn into an image macro. Thought I'd show it here, since I've seen at least a couple of Kyubey pictures here already!

Feb 16, 2011 12:24 AM

Mar 2009
Madoka did a very stupid thing; she should be grateful to Akemi.
Feb 16, 2011 4:17 PM

Jul 2009
Akiyama said:
Let's challenge.

Bah, 7

This show is getting better and better
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Feb 17, 2011 4:32 AM

Apr 2009
Madoka could use her wish to bring Mami back to life.

Kyubey newer said how long the wish could go
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.