Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 11, 2011 12:12 PM

Oct 2010
omg, loved this one ♥

Feb 11, 2011 12:19 PM

Jul 2010
ARGH!! Madoka really is the pinnacle of naivety, I can't stand it anymore.
So let me get this straight; Kyubei is a soul sucker who put's the souls of every human who becomes a Mahou Shoujo in a soul gem, which makes their bodies just useless shells? O_O

Well at least we learned a lot about the way Kuybei zombifi... I mean turn people into Mahou Shoujo. Can't wait to learn more, although I just can's stand Madoka anymore... T_T

Feb 11, 2011 12:20 PM

Dec 2008
i knew mami wouldnt stay dead

i will now stand firm on my prediction:

Final Boss: Mami + Kyubey
Feb 11, 2011 12:42 PM

Feb 2008

Feb 11, 2011 12:48 PM

Aug 2008
Kyubey is so pushy lol. I'm thinking it would benefit him greatly if Madoka were to contract with him. More Grief Seeds for him apparently.

I'm liking Sayaka and Akemi more and more! It's funny how my fave character started out as Madoka but she's quickly falling from favor.
Feb 11, 2011 12:51 PM

Jan 2011
Ahh I was scared that Sayaka might have actually died. D: I love how Madoka Magica is always full of great scenes and there are never any boring moments. Unlike some other shows, when I watch and do homework or whatever at the same time, I'm always paying attention to what will happen next.
Feb 11, 2011 12:53 PM

Apr 2010
I think Kyouko might have killed Kuybey if Homura was a bit latter with returning that gem.
That last part about that soul gem was a bit surprising and proved again that Kyubey doesn't really care what mahou shoujo's might think think.
And from what the end suggested that a mahou shoujo is not aware of her surroundings ones her soul gem is 100 meter out of there range.
They also didn't seem to be aware of the fact that there soul is in that gem unless they are told.

Homura did know suggesting she has allot of experience and is very knowledgeable about her occupation.
And she is also very skilled teleport seems to be one of her main ability's tho those explosions she caused during the fight after Mami's death suggest that her powers are telepathy.
Some people suggested she might be from the future based on some of her statements even to this might be plausible and don't think this is the case.
But she definitely knows allot more then she is letting out.

Walpurgisnacht which was also mentioned by Homura also seems like a interesting thing.
From what i heard it's a celebration on the night of 30 april till the morning of 1 may celebrating the meeting of sorcerers and witches.
Which suggests something rather interesting.
And i think it's related to the dream of Madoka which she had during episode one where Homura was fighting who she hadn't even met at that time.
That dream might have been a vision of the future of Walpurgisnacht.
Homura might been having similar dreams judging by the things she knows.

Question remains what's Kyubey's role in this and why does he wants Madoka so much.
He is almost forcing to become a mahou shoujo which proves there is a larger gain from having her be one as well.
Feb 11, 2011 1:01 PM

Jun 2009
New theory. Homura is future Madoka. Opening seems to point at it with the two Madokas and one of which has long hair. If Madoka’s wish is something like “I want to become a more dependable person” or “I want to become someone who can stop this” at the end of the series then this could lead to Madoka becoming Homura. Both wishes are related to time. Therefore, time travel and time manipulation powers.

It really was a great episode. Though we all suspected it, Kyubey is now guaranteed evil.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Feb 11, 2011 1:16 PM
Jul 2010
Jimb0 said:
i knew mami wouldnt stay dead

i will now stand firm on my prediction:

Final Boss: Mami + Kyubey

Well, when they're transformed, the Soul Gem fuses with their body. Which means the witch ate it as well. I believe Mami's gone for good.

But man, this episode was just amazing... Not expecting this revelation about the Soul Gems nor Sayaka's temporary death. I still wonder what are Homura's intentions though... She says she'll take care of Sayaka and next moment she jumps of the rail to go pick up her soul. She tried to kill Kyubey in the first episode but than said it was "too late" and never tried that again. She seems to know everyone and also seems to know the future. And now it's almost unequivocal that she can indeed teleport (the only alternative is extreme speed).

I'm also wondering what's the "Walpurgis Night"... But I still maintain my belief that this is gonna end with the dream and that's the moment Madoka will make the contract. I don't think this will end in a good way though.

Madoka's conversation with her mom was also amazing. The realism in this anime doesn't cease to impress me: "Unfortunately, it' doesn't always end happily if you do the right thing." and "If you learn how to get hurt gracefully now, it'll help you later. (...) As you get more responsibilities, it's worse when you mess up."

Kizetsu said:
What is wrong with you people?

One character death and now suddenly everyone is wishing for Sayaka to die. If it hadn't happened to Mami, it wouldn't have even been a possibility.

Totally. I think Mami's death was a nice shock that got me really interested in this anime. It was also the driving event for what's happening now. It totally shaped the characters attitudes and all of the awesomeness we witnessed in this episodes wouldn't have been possible. However, that's not an excuse for killing every single character. There are too few characters for me to imagine this to continue without her. She'll probably die and I guess I'd find that bittersweet: I'm beginning to like her so I'd be sad with her death but I really like anime that make a lasting impression and that would totally do the trick. However, I don't want her to die this early nor I think they'd kill her this early. That's why I was really surprised when it seemed like she was gonna die.

Theory's and questions apart, Kyubey's expressionlessness in every situation is seriously disturbing, Madoka's extremely naive (but I still like her) and Homura is awesome.
Feb 11, 2011 1:29 PM

Feb 2010
stevewiess01 said:
I loled at Madoka saying, "it would be nice, when I become old enough to drink with mom."

That was a really sweet moment.

Excellent episode! Kyubei is eeeeeevil. Evil to the core. "Why do humans like their bodies? Geez, get over your apprehensions and become a magical girl already!" *innocent stare* I'll laugh if Madoka never actually becomes a Puella Magi.

Great pacing as always. The only thing that annoys me is the I'm-Always-Eating-Something trope overload from Kyouko's character.
sexijiFeb 11, 2011 1:32 PM
Feb 11, 2011 1:35 PM

Dec 2009
I want more dark moments >.<

Aside from that, pretty good episode and the truth behind the contract was scary.

Still no Mahou Shoujo Madoka D:

Damn, this show needs more episodes !!
yuno6.jpg
Feb 11, 2011 1:40 PM

Aug 2009
If MAL had a "hate characters" list, Kyubey would take #1 easily after this ep ^_^

Wait a second, Mami had lost only her head (according to what we've seen), does that mean that she isn't dead ?
Feb 11, 2011 1:59 PM

Aug 2010
Now this was a wow episode. Really enjoyed it as a matter of fact, especially the end part when we learned about so many shocking things.(well, I think you could call them that). Also, I'm almost willing to bet that Madoka will be a Mahou Shoujo when that Wilc or something guy appears. Of course, after someone close to her will die...
Feb 11, 2011 2:06 PM

Sep 2009
Kyubey doesn't strike me as evil anymore, actually, but more of an emotionless agent of some sort in the body of an animal with a permanent poker face. Once again, SHAFT trolled me with Madoka's almost homocide of her best friend and Kyubey's comment "A friend is a strange thing to throw away" (or however he worded it). Still excellent stuff...oh lord, now to wait another week.
Feb 11, 2011 2:28 PM
Aug 2010
Game_Master said:
If MAL had a "hate characters" list, Kyubey would take #1 easily after this ep ^_^

Wait a second, Mami had lost only her head (according to what we've seen), does that mean that she isn't dead ?

I believe the witch consumed the rest of her body afterwards.
Feb 11, 2011 2:29 PM

Oct 2009
I know I´m being really controversial now, but: I still don't hate Kyubey. You can blame him for anything, being scheming and all that, BUT you can't blame him for not understanding human emotions, since he is no human. i must say that thing with the grieve seed was a bit suspicious though.
Anyway, even if it is Kyubey deliberately fucking up his magical girls, I'd still like him; cause he made this show this dark. And the darkness of this mahou shoujo makes me very happy (quite ironic, innit?)
Yumekichi11 said:
I found finally something that would make everyone happy of seeing about Kyuubei in the spoiler
would have been fun to see it happen in this episode. Oh the joy of that somehow.

No, not to Kyuubei. I like him.

edit: merged posts
desolatoFeb 12, 2011 4:26 AM
Feb 11, 2011 2:43 PM

Jan 2010
Ahhh I just figured out the "Madoka is Homura" theory... Thanks AidanAK47 for pointing out the obvious to dumb old me!!!

Ahaha that actually could be true!!! I just rewatched the op and the 2nd madoka does look like she has that weird part in the middle of her long hair. BUT I also looked at Akemi and Madoka and they dont look alike at all...
Feb 11, 2011 3:04 PM

Nov 2007
AidanAK47 said:
New theory. Homura is future Madoka. Opening seems to point at it with the two Madokas and one of which has long hair. If Madoka’s wish is something like “I want to become a more dependable person” or “I want to become someone who can stop this” at the end of the series then this could lead to Madoka becoming Homura. Both wishes are related to time. Therefore, time travel and time manipulation powers.

Enter Kyubei:
. Madoka wishes to become more dependable ->friends get killed -> Madoka learns from mistakes and becomes more dependable for future friends
. Madoka wishes to become someone able to stop it -> turns into MS -> saves friends and stops it
In order for the timetravel, she at least gotta say something like 'wanting to prevent' things. And for the creation of Homura maybe something about her future self or past self. It still needs an explanation why they don't look alike though.
Feb 11, 2011 3:19 PM

Jul 2010
Expect the unexpected! Thought we'd lost Sayaka-chan there but no, Kyubey trololols us once again by telling quite important info after the fact.
Feb 11, 2011 3:50 PM

Feb 2010
Holy crap, beeing a Puella Magi really is shit. Great!
Feb 11, 2011 4:15 PM

Nov 2010
well, once again Kyubey looks even worse after this ep, but no one seems to want to kill him (me thinks homura had other reasons for wanting him dead in Ep1)

another shread of hope for Mami's revival

and Aw, no doped up witch zone this time :(
Feb 11, 2011 4:24 PM
Jun 2009
Anyone else think that Sayaka lost her memory there. She seemed really confused after waking up, like she had no clue what was going on.

Apart from that, I think it's pretty obvious now that Kyuubee is the Big Bad here. And if he isn't, then whoever is will show up during Walpurgisnacht.

Shit's getting intense here, gentlemen. Brace yourselves.
Feb 11, 2011 4:41 PM

Dec 2009
Kyubey is BIG TROLL!
"Sry, I forgot to say that: you are now zoombies. But is only a pointless detail."
Feb 11, 2011 5:13 PM

Jan 2009
I thought Nanoha's "Lets stick my hand through the heart of a 3rd grader and take their soul for my book" was bad...

The next mahou shoujo is going to have a hard time beating "Oh yeah, you're all animated corpses"

I really wanted more Hokuto no Ken references...or would that be too insensitive given the situation?
Feb 11, 2011 5:16 PM

Nov 2010
Well... one way to kill a friendship is to temporary kill your friend. Assuming Sayaka's memories are intact, I'm sure she's not going to be happy.
Feb 11, 2011 5:47 PM

Jan 2010
Yumeni said:
I think Madoka is under too much stress and losing her composure :p

I said this during the last episode discussion and I'm going to say it again...she's going to become like Shinji from NGE by the end of this show. Little stuff like your friends getting her head ripped off, Magic girls having battles to the death, and the soul gem actually has your friend's soul, can leave you psychologically scarred for quite some time.
Feb 11, 2011 6:09 PM

May 2009
OMG! OMG! Thats was the coolest revelation ever!!! I cant believe Sayaka "died" too, it was so intense, raising my raiting to a 9
Feb 11, 2011 6:50 PM

Dec 2008
This anime just keeps getting more and more interesting. After watching this episode, I have more respect for Kyouko.
Feb 11, 2011 7:39 PM
May 2009
DAM YOU KYUBEY!!!!!!!!
Feb 11, 2011 7:48 PM

Jun 2008
WOW!!!

I don't normally say this after only 6 episodes, but....

This is an amazing series, every episode gets better and better, the revelation was a BIG shock to me, I never thought the gems had the actual SOUL of the Mahou Shoujo.

This is clearly the best anime of the season, I'm really glad I picked it up.
Feb 11, 2011 7:53 PM

Aug 2009
That furball was like blaming them for not asking about it.

The Soul Gem gets tainted the more you use magic. So you use a tainted seed to purify yourself?
Oh yeah, I wonder what will happen if Kyubei died?
Feb 11, 2011 8:44 PM

Jun 2010
I thought they were mahou shoujo, but now all of a sudden they're zombies. ZOMBIES!!!! Where does this come from? There souls are ripped out and turned into soul gems. Kyubey is a cruel creature, he doesn't even tell the girls who are making the contract the whole truth.

Feb 11, 2011 9:31 PM
Dec 2007
13man18 said:
I thought they were mahou shoujo, but now all of a sudden they're zombies. ZOMBIES!!!! Where does this come from? There souls are ripped out and turned into soul gems. Kyubey is a cruel creature, he doesn't even tell the girls who are making the contract the whole truth.
They are not literally zombies, more like liches. Their souls are bound to a phylactery (the Soul Gem) but aside from that their bodies and minds are completely their own. Zombies most of the time are soulless, mindless and/or bound to the will of the necromancer that raised them from death. Liches merely separated their soul and body, in essence making themselves immortal so long as their phylactery is untouched.

Feb 11, 2011 9:58 PM

Jan 2009
Oh Kyuubey, you creepy little demonic fluffball....
Feb 11, 2011 10:23 PM

Oct 2010
*Madoka throws the gem off the bridge.* Sayaka dies. LOL I for a second there I was thinking "Oh shit, Madoka just killed off her best friend", until her gem was retrieved. She should've stayed dead just for the LULz.

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but I think Kyubey mentioned something about mahou shoujo being able to heal/regenerate. So does that mean Mami died not because her head was bitten off, but her gem was destroyed?
Feb 11, 2011 10:39 PM
Dec 2007
Lefake said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but I think Kyubey mentioned something about mahou shoujo being able to heal/regenerate. So does that mean Mami died not because her head was bitten off, but her gem was destroyed?
That's correct although rather than destroyed it's possible the Witch just absorbed Mami's energy.Theoretically the body should be able to fully regenerate although I imagine the toll on their Soul Gem would be huge. At the very least that's my assumption, otherwise Kyubei wouldn't consider it as an advantage. Do realize that Kyubei didn't say Sayaka died, it was merely puzzled that Madoka would throw away her best friend's soul, risking it's destruction in the process. Seeing how unfazed he was otherwise I might guess that their bodies DO regenerate so long as their gems are intact or he knows a way of attaching them to a new vessel.

Feb 11, 2011 10:48 PM

Oct 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Do realize that Kyubei didn't say Sayaka died, it was merely puzzled that Madoka would throw away her best friend's soul, risking it's destruction in the process.

Yeah, but I'm just saying that ...if Sayaka did die, it would have been really funny. It'd be like Madoka accidentally got someone killed while trying to do the exact opposite, just because of her own naivety.
Feb 11, 2011 10:51 PM

Oct 2008
Damn you Kyubey.

I really hate him...now more than ever.

I'm glad Sayaka is safe.
Feb 11, 2011 11:04 PM

Sep 2008
Lefake said:
Leon-Gun said:
Do realize that Kyubei didn't say Sayaka died, it was merely puzzled that Madoka would throw away her best friend's soul, risking it's destruction in the process.

Yeah, but I'm just saying that ...if Sayaka did die, it would have been really funny. It'd be like Madoka accidentally got someone killed while trying to do the exact opposite, just because of her own naivety.

Best sense if humor ever.
Feb 11, 2011 11:46 PM

May 2010
That little fucking rat thing is a demon
I have nothing to put here. Go me.
Feb 12, 2011 12:48 AM

Jul 2009
Ah! Kyubey said Madoka would "probably have a huge soul gem" b/c of her massive potential right? If he eats grief seeds... he'd get a hell of a lot of power out of cleaning such a huge soul gem.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Feb 12, 2011 1:09 AM
Jul 2010
Yukari_Hiwada said:
That furball was like blaming them for not asking about it.

The Soul Gem gets tainted the more you use magic. So you use a tainted seed to purify yourself?
Oh yeah, I wonder what will happen if Kyubei died?

Now that can actually support the theory that witches are "fallen" Mahou Shoujo. I mean, when they use their magic, they're not just dirtying a magical object, they're polluting their own soul! That makes the grief seeds even more important...

Anyway, something I forgot to say in my last post: I got really intrigued by what Sayaka said about Homura indirectly causing Mami's death. I never thought about it but when she stated it... We thought that Homura did come to help Mami because she had been binded by her magic thus she couldn't move. But if Homura can teleport herself, then she could have gone there anyway and saved Mami... So it raises the question: did she wait until the spell was gone because she couldn't move or because it meant Mami was dead? I really like Homura but her main concern (and I'm starting to feel it's her only) is preventing Madoka from becoming a Mahou Shoujo. What if she wanted to let Mami get killed in order to show Madoka and Sayaka the severe drawbacks of becoming one?
Feb 12, 2011 1:43 AM

Jan 2008
I don't think so. Homura was really shocked when Mami's magic faded, so I don't think she just waited for her to so she could play BDH. I think she really would have saved her, if she could.
Feb 12, 2011 2:07 AM

Jun 2009
wow... i mean WOW. Awesome episode is awesome.

Dusk252 said:
But if Homura can teleport herself, then she could have gone there anyway and saved Mami... So it raises the question: did she wait until the spell was gone because she couldn't move or because it meant Mami was dead? I really like Homura but her main concern (and I'm starting to feel it's her only) is preventing Madoka from becoming a Mahou Shoujo. What if she wanted to let Mami get killed in order to show Madoka and Sayaka the severe drawbacks of becoming one?

Never thought Mami's bindings could prevent Homura from teleporting?
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 12, 2011 3:43 AM

Jul 2009
Oh Madoka Magica turns to be a really special Anime, breaking the standard laws of Mahou Shoujo Anime :O
It is really interesting to know about the contract of becoming a MS and what the consequences may be...

Everything is really reversed in this show
The seemingly good ones are the bad and the seemingly evil ones are the allies of tommorow..

QB is sooo evil

Feb 12, 2011 4:09 AM

Jun 2008
I wonder, how many of you wish Homura would have killed the little shit in episode 1.
Feb 12, 2011 4:49 AM

Oct 2010
i second this :D
Paul said:
Feb 12, 2011 6:47 AM
Oct 2009
Iilia said:
stevewiess01 said:
[P.S 2: I think my lunch tastes better when watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica at the same time. :)
Definitely. I don't know why, but the order in which the Thursday shows got subbed today was just abnormal.
RyanSaotome said:
Iisan-kun said:
I think it would've been more interesting if Sayaka had actually died at the hands of Madoka, but that scene's execution was still utter brilliance. Anyway, there's plenty of time for more people to die.
I was really expecting Sayaka to die there. I think that would be the best way to do her death. Just imagine the mental condition Madoka would have after not only seeing a friend dying infront of her, but now killing her best friend without knowing.
It would have had a lot more impact if they didn't drag it out for such a long moment. The "OMG!" part passed quickly as they talked about it (for me at least). As for Madoka's mental condition, she'd be worse than she is now and just cry for the whole rest of the show. :P

What really happened:
Madoka: Kyubey, say something!
Kyubey: All I can say is that that's too reckless.

What I thought would happen:
Madoka: Kyubey, say something!
Kyubey: Become a Mahou Shoujo! :3

Seriously, was I the only one who thought this? XD

Overall, fun episode. I like the Mahou Shoujo vs. Mahou Shoujo concept a lot better than the Mahou Shoujo versus witches thing. It's just a lot more entertaining to watch.

I also thought that Kyubey would say that.

Anyways , it was lucky Homura ran after her soulgem straight away. Phew!
Feb 12, 2011 7:24 AM
Jul 2010
OrochiPL said:
wow... i mean WOW. Awesome episode is awesome.

Dusk252 said:
But if Homura can teleport herself, then she could have gone there anyway and saved Mami... So it raises the question: did she wait until the spell was gone because she couldn't move or because it meant Mami was dead? I really like Homura but her main concern (and I'm starting to feel it's her only) is preventing Madoka from becoming a Mahou Shoujo. What if she wanted to let Mami get killed in order to show Madoka and Sayaka the severe drawbacks of becoming one?

Never thought Mami's bindings could prevent Homura from teleporting?

Yes I did. And you actually quoted the part of my post where I said that. I have almost no doubts that she can indeed teleport. But I still put the hypothesis that she may have been unable to move.
Feb 12, 2011 9:15 AM

Jun 2009
That was awesome episode! When Kyuubey explained everything about soul gems I though "Oh no! Madoka accidentally killed Sayaka!!!" And I wish Kyouko threw out that evil furball. >:(
Anyone else noticed another girl in preview (she talks right after Kyuubey). Any idea who she might be? Mami? That older Madoka from opening?
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.