Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 16, 2011 5:01 PM

Mar 2009
I'm thinking it was just me...
but I'm really confused.

One minute I'm watching Sayaka with her boyfriend, next I see Madoka saying "Oh no, Hitomi has that sign too!" and everyone's walking around like zombies. Was there a part I missed? e A e Maybe it was just the video I watched...

(I kinda quickly skimmed the comments to see if someone else had this problem... sorry if I missed it)
Feb 16, 2011 8:54 PM
Dec 2007
head-go-boom said:
but I'm really confused.

One minute I'm watching Sayaka with her boyfriend, next I see Madoka saying "Oh no, Hitomi has that sign too!" and everyone's walking around like zombies. Was there a part I missed? e A e Maybe it was just the video I watched...

(I kinda quickly skimmed the comments to see if someone else had this problem... sorry if I missed it)
I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't watch gg's fansub if you watched that one. The one I watch has a proper transition between the scenes although the scene with Sayaka stops right as she sees Kyubei because they wanted to imply she made the wish but not right out tell you yet. The scene goes from Kyubei looking at Sayaka to Madoka walking around town and finding her friend. It sounds like for some reason your video is missing the part where Madoka is walking on her own, or maybe you just didn't pay much attention to it.

Feb 18, 2011 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
That was depressing. I swear the cat thing is evil.
Feb 19, 2011 10:02 PM

Sep 2008
Was an ok episode. Art is still terrible except I liked the witches realm thing art this time around.

For some reason the anime just feels sooo empty. Unintentionally empty. Which is a really really bad thing. SHAFT might really be going for a record of money saved per minute of anime this time around.
Feb 20, 2011 9:46 PM

Oct 2010
lol Sayaka just waisted her wish on someone for the wrong reasons xD... It's going to be interesting to see how that ends up (maybe she will tell the dude about the contract, or she might just shut up and let him decide for himself)
Madoka might still be able to bring Mami back?
I like how this show is making MS look evil, specially because the only MS show I watched is Sakura Card Captors (like puff ago) so this is quite the change.
huh?
Feb 25, 2011 5:03 AM
Jan 2010
head-go-boom said:
but I'm really confused.

or maybe you're just stupid.
Feb 26, 2011 5:22 PM

Dec 2010
Watching this series inbetween episodes of Card Captor Sakura is a strange yet compelling experience...

What an episode. I'm loving this show more and more with each instalment...can it really get much better? How far can they 'deconstruct' mahou shojo? As long as it's this good, keep it coming!!
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Mar 1, 2011 7:54 PM

Mar 2009
Leon-Gun said:
head-go-boom said:
but I'm really confused.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't watch gg's fansub if you watched that one. The one I watch has a proper transition between the scenes although the scene with Sayaka stops right as she sees Kyubei because they wanted to imply she made the wish but not right out tell you yet. The scene goes from Kyubei looking at Sayaka to Madoka walking around town and finding her friend. It sounds like for some reason your video is missing the part where Madoka is walking on her own, or maybe you just didn't pay much attention to it.

I checked back again, and the video was just messed up. I just watched it on another site now. So it's all cleared up. :)

Fuurinkazan said:
or maybe you're just stupid.

I'm sorry that I was confused about something that wasn't my fault. <:/
Mar 3, 2011 1:53 PM
Mar 2010
Madoka's emotions episode...
Kyoko is new mahou Shojo, she seems we will see many great things, like last episode..... Homura is only normal person in all this story, it seems she understand what know to be maho shojo, and she wants to help madoka. Kyubee is very troll.....

next to 5th ep
Mar 10, 2011 7:22 AM
May 2008
Akolatronic said:
Art style in this anime is just horrible.
Akolatronic said:
Art style in this anime is just horrible.

No, it's pretty much everything aside from some the of art that is terrible.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Mar 26, 2011 1:23 AM
Mar 2009
The character actions and reactions are amazingly realistic.

I have a feeling that Sayaka is next in line to die. Especially since she seemed to rush her wish after that little quarrel. I vaguely remember either Homura or Mani telling her that making a wish for someone else would be disastrous.
Apr 3, 2011 7:42 PM

Mar 2009
WOW.. that's all I can say about this episode.. Watch Sakaya step up was awesome. :D On to 5 for me. :) --- Randy
Apr 7, 2011 2:41 AM

Dec 2010
I like Sayaka very much, second episode in a row. And she even signed the contract! Her phrase "I'm such a bad girl" at that moment... it was so sad... Madoka is acting so sadly too... This anime is great at least for these moments, if not for anything else! Conversation between Homura and Madoka about Mami's death and Puella Magi's life was pretty dark. "We're not fighting for anyone else. We're fighting for our own wishes." - what a great line.
I need to get that OST!
Apr 9, 2011 5:28 AM

Feb 2011
when will madoka transform into a magical girl..
Apr 16, 2011 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
im hooked

this series is incredible...i cannot decide to love or blame the innocent "magical girl" look its given...as it may miss a huge demographic of anime viewers (who NEED to watch this!).

its dark, thematic, interesting, fast, no fillers, great characters and high production value...

this really is on pace for a 10/10 masterpiece rating in my book..
Apr 16, 2011 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
Sigsig said:
Dusk252 said:
daultimate said:
I don't like how Kyuubei is always conveniently there. Hm. Oh well, new character. And pretty good episode.

Yeah, I found it really creepy when Kyuubei showed up in the hospital window. I really don't like how he takes everything too lightly. And that only gets worse when I look at his never-changing smiling mouth and hear his always-happy voice.

You know, Kyuubei kinda reminds me of Dung Beetle from Bokurano.. always smiling, always happy voice, but evil at heart. I just remembered him after pondering about Kyuubei over the weekend

Sigsig said:

great points, kyuubei is DEFINITELY interesting.

he cleverly played his trump card by "leaving" at the beginning of the episode. its no surprise that he stuck around because he knew he had two potential magical girls. he knew that sayaka couldnt think beyond her selfish desire (to have that violin guy love her back) by fixing his hand

the character development progression is excellent. the story is getting deeper, and another interesting character has entered the scene

im..really looking forward to this
Apr 17, 2011 11:48 PM

Apr 2009
I rewatched ep4 this night, and one thing took my attention, which somehow I haven't spotted during my original watch. The scene on the rooftop. Kyubey says things like "I understand how you feel" and he apologies to the girls for getting them involved! Now, can he still be considered purely logical and amoral entity, incapable of understanding human feelings? Now he seems to understand them, it's only later when he starts behaving in that amoral way...

The possible options I see are:
  • he says those things in ep4 without actually understanding them, just because he knows the girls will calm down a bit this way (can he still be considered not understanding human feelings?)
  • he actually understands human feelings, but tricks the girls into thinking that he's not, to look less evil in their eyes

Oh well, now I'm more and more inclining towards option number two...
Apr 18, 2011 4:09 AM

Dec 2010
It's complex. I think he understands human feelings just enough to know how to manipulate them in some situations, but not enough to actually feel them or think they're anything less than pathetic.

In that scene, to me, he said nothing but bullshit. Saying what he said and then "leaving" in the end amounts to nothing more than a cold and brilliant scheme.
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Apr 24, 2011 1:12 PM

Apr 2009
kFYatek said:
I rewatched ep4 this night, and one thing took my attention, which somehow I haven't spotted during my original watch. The scene on the rooftop. Kyubey says things like "I understand how you feel" and he apologies to the girls for getting them involved!

I'm rewatching Madoka right now and it also hit me this time... But it's natural to miss this little details when watching for first time, not knowing QB later deeds and sayings. Also, I've missed that he actually smiles in 1st (contract offering) and 2nd (taking a bath) episodes... It was normal thing; yet now I see these in a little bit different light... I think he knows very well how he should act before humans to obtain results he wants. Being emotionless, QB probably can't tell good from evil (and even if he does, outcome does not matter for him), thus I think he just does what he does to reach his goals.
Apr 27, 2011 5:47 PM

Oct 2007
I think that something is going to end terribly wrong now that Kamijo's hand/arm/wrist healed, and Sayaka is going to die after wasting a wish.
Apr 28, 2011 11:35 AM

Apr 2009
I finally watched the AT-X raw of ep4 and compared it to the original version - and it's HUGELY SHAFTED. The number of changes is almost the same level as of those made in eps 1 and 2 for the Blu-rays. I'll post screenshots once I make them.

I find it quite surprising, actually, because AT-X versions of eps 1-3 haven't been modified at all (not counting ep1 audio fix). I wonder if they'll make even more fixes in ep4 for the BD release.

EDIT: Here be screens:
http://images.puella-magi.net/6/6c/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part1.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/f/f1/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part2.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/9/9d/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part3.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/e/ea/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part4.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/2/2f/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part5.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/1/17/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part6.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/5/54/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part7.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/8/8d/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part8.jpg
http://images.puella-magi.net/5/51/Ep4_MBS_vs_AT-X_part9.jpg

While I don't really get some design decisions, some changes are actually EPIC, like the new lighting inside the hangar (or whatever that building is).
BalibuliApr 28, 2011 3:28 PM
Apr 29, 2011 12:00 AM

Feb 2008
I really expected Madoka to wish Mami back to life.
Apr 30, 2011 10:21 AM
Apr 2011
Missy said:
I think that something is going to end terribly wrong now that Kamijo's hand/arm/wrist healed, and Sayaka is going to die after wasting a wish.

mhm not sure if she'll die that early..
but I'm pretty sure that she shouldn't have wished for that.. I dunno, but I don't like the guy for some reason.. The way he asked her if she hates him.. I mean c'mon, it's SO obvious that it's the exact opposit yet he still acts like that.. -__-
May 4, 2011 3:15 AM

Jun 2009
Well, it seems Madoka may not wish Mami back after all..which, in all honesty, is probably the best thing for her. I hardly think Sayaka wasted a wish, I'm sure it isn't particularly "fun" watching someone you care about suffer but...I guess time will tell.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 24, 2011 8:21 PM

Mar 2011
So......Madoka is relegated to Non-magical sidekick for Sayaka, who will be promptly hijacking the OP.

Well, maybe not, love it if it takes all series for Madoka to decide what her wish is and only transform for the last boss or something.

Meanwhile, her friends do all the leg-work! Ha!

Well, this show is no doubt full of surprises, that will keep me guessing!
Jun 13, 2011 5:31 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode, i almost felt a mind rape along the way.
Kyubei = Devil that little furry thing is definitively wrong.
Anyways a new MS has come to town and apparently things are going to get stirred up, actually i'm expecting Madoka to turn into a MS on the next episode, that girl looked really powerful and Sayaka will get into trouble so Madoka might step in to save her unless that Homura wants to help out.

PS. maybe im wrong but if i recall the first scene of the 1 episode (the one were Homura is fighting something really big and powerful and Madoka comes to help her) might being Madoka and Homura fighting Kyubei's true form thought i'm really speculating since i haven't watch all the series
Jun 24, 2011 12:03 AM

May 2010
Four episodes so far and I still don't see what the high ratings are about.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 3, 2011 12:54 AM

Jan 2010
I'm intrigued that Sayaka's friend has indeed been healed. I was expecting something bad to happen with him, but it seems that the bad thing is just the fact Sayaka's got to fight witches for a living now...
Really interesting stuff so far!
Jul 6, 2011 12:18 PM

Apr 2009
WTH @ the end...
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jul 10, 2011 4:31 AM

Aug 2010
Oh shit, something seems extremely suspicious. I just dunno what..
Jul 14, 2011 4:02 PM

Jul 2011
It's just a mix of Shakugan no Shana, Chii's sweet home and Rozen Maiden...
Jul 18, 2011 1:36 PM

Jan 2010
I already don't like this Sakura character.
Honestly, I hate anime girls that have that weird cat tooth thing when they smile and always act "tough" I'm so not looking forward when the anime starts to intro her more.
Aug 14, 2011 12:00 PM

Feb 2009
Why do I have the feeling that thing that look like a cat is not that innocent as it looks that he is using these poor girls. No wonder they are Magical "Girl" because no adult in there right mind will stake that much for one wish.
Aug 27, 2011 8:54 AM
Jul 2010
I'm currently rewatching PMMM and I realize this is even better on the second run. Episode 4 was what originally made me see this as the best anime of Winter 2011 (though not necessarily great - that came later on). But now I was able to appreciate the first 4 episodes in a total different prespective and I don't regard them as being really inferior to the rest of the series. There's just so much foreshadowing, especially in the conversations between Homura and Madoka and especially during the one that happens in the bridge in this episode. Homura's reactions to Madoka's words, her answers... Initially it just got me curious. Now that I know the reason for them, it makes me love her character even more and realize how well-planned this anime was from the very beginning.
Sep 14, 2011 9:15 PM

Aug 2008
Depressing episode was depressing... Poor Madoka can cope with the idea of transforming into a Magical Girl without giving out something precious to her. No matter what the damage is already done... is just as Homura has said herself before: “Doesn’t matter anymore I wanted to stop their meeting. Now is useless.”
Tomah said:
Sayonara7 said:
I have a feeling Madoka wont become a Mahou Shoujo until That scene at the start of the anime in her dream. The one where Homura was fighting by herself against a giant tree thing and it looked like she was losing. In that scene Madoka wasn't in a Mahou Shoujo costume so she may not of become one yet at that point. Also at the end of the scene Kyubey said "Form a contract with me and become a Mahou Shoujo!"
I agree, but there is a little something in that scene which bothers me; rather, there isn't something. Yeah, Sayaka. If we are correct, then where the hell will her be? Dead, hurt, missing, living as a witch, acting alone? None of these options sound very nice to me, but Madoka has proved that anything can happen.
Yeah that might be the case... Maybe by then Sayaka could be dead.... But as Tomah said... who knows
Meritas said:
I like Sayaka very much, second episode in a row. And she even signed the contract! Her phrase "I'm such a bad girl" at that moment... it was so sad... Madoka is acting so sadly too... This anime is great at least for these moments, if not for anything else! Conversation between Homura and Madoka about Mami's death and Puella Magi's life was pretty dark. "We're not fighting for anyone else. We're fighting for our own wishes." - what a great line.
The problem here is that looks like Sayaka is not as responsible Madoka is. She just made the wish and cured our dear Kamijo Kyosuke without thinking about the consequences or planning out any other way to escape from the arguments against transforming into a MS and also any other side effect that could damage Kamijo... Like the whole atmosphere the scene had when he realised he regained sense on his hand... I’m kinda curious what kind of accident he had... Traffic one that devasted his body? Why that arm is the only one covered in bandages...?

But one thing is certain that line Homura said, along with her response to Madoka’s I will never forget you and that other line that goes along the lines of “your kindness will bring forth bigger tradegies to your life” are quite important and meaningful so far... of course part of the wish is turnign into a MS... looks like she meant that you’re fignting agaisnt your own self... scary dude...
HitoriTomoyo said:
Two major misconceptions I noticed whilst skimming through this thread:

i)I still fail to see how anyone could have optimistic thoughts concerning this series when episode three and the name Urobuchi Gen are taken into consideration. Mami's dead and the most likely scenario in which she would return would be as a Witch (yes there is the possibility of Madoka wasting her wish on returning Mami/wishing for the reset but that's all speculation until more solid evidence makes itself apparent).

ii)People that are impatiently expecting Madoka to attain her Puella Magi powers are watching this series with a misguided attitude; what's important to Madoka, and arguably to the series as a whole, is not when or how Madoka initiates a contract with Kyuubey but why she chooses to become a Puella Magi.
i)agreed.... Nothing good come out from this anime anymore... I’m expecting to see a bigger tragedy already... and ii) precisely my thoughts... doesn’t matter when, kinda assumed that since last episode (3), since the episode title was misleading and was totally opposite to what happened. Maybe the episode’s title can give us some clues of what’s to come. But I’m also more interested in why Madoka becomes a MS!
Gangler said:
So something occurs to me today. Sayakka is concerned about the boy in the hospital, enters the Witch-zone and it's all syringes and stuff. Madoka, walking through the witchzone becomes massively concerned with cake, suddenly the place is nothing but cakes of every shape and size. Madoka makes a heartwrenching vow to never forget the way Mami fought, enters the witchzone and it's all a gigantic mechanism forcing her to revisit her memories of the final fight.

These witchzones are definitely somehow a reflection of the minds of those entering it. I don't know what that means though.
Nice speculation… Never considered that possibility... Makes sense to me. So... is that so? Well only time will tell if that’s the case...

By the way regarding the monster of this episode, didn’t catch a theme this time besides reflecting the people’s feeling and also something liquid... could be water, could be chlorine :P but seriously looks like this enemy wasn’t a witch but an offspring. Which makes me shudder and wonder how strong is the witch this little dude came from... Feels like next witch will be huge and powerful, really powerful. This theme also kinda broke my Deadly Seven Sins theory theme...

I wonder why and how Hitomi was influenced by the witch... Feels lonely after she realised that her friends have a deeper relationship, evenpossibly a yuri-esque one? xD Nao nao... *shrugs* but I’d like to know why she was affected...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2011 2:48 PM

Feb 2009
This anime = Faust

Really enjoying so far, every episode has its own dose of creepiness while keeping up with the unique style the anime has. And the plot is moving forwaaarrrd!!
Dec 7, 2011 1:06 AM

Jun 2011
For some reason Kyuubey gives me vibes of a villain usually have. Maybe he is a villain after all...

Sayaka decided to be Mahou Shoujo and pretty cool for a moment there, and out of nowhere a new Mahou Shoujo appeared.
Jan 5, 2012 1:32 PM

Aug 2009
Holy shit. That was one of the most trippiest thinsg Ive ever seen on anime. Knew it was shaft that would make such hallucinatory graphic.
[right]

Jan 16, 2012 1:04 PM

Jan 2009
Nice ep!

got my attention again
Feb 17, 2012 6:47 PM

Jul 2011
Another strong episode starting to see that this was not just hype, this is great.

insan3soldiern said:
Well, it seems Madoka may not wish Mami back after all..which, in all honesty, is probably the best thing for her. I hardly think Sayaka wasted a wish, I'm sure it isn't particularly "fun" watching someone you care about suffer but...I guess time will tell.

Yeah, but we don't really know sayaka and the boys relationship yet and she should heal him for the right reasons (like Mami said). we'll see if she did or not.
Feb 20, 2012 9:03 AM

Dec 2009
Very good episode. I still do not see this as the masterpiece that everyone talk about.

But maybe I'll see it at some point :)

4/5 for this episode.

Sent with Mal Updater
Mar 29, 2012 3:06 PM
Jun 2011
Now Sayaka is a magical girl, I wanna know what's gonna happen next.
Now I have to wait for a month or two for the next four dubbed episodes.
Apr 12, 2012 5:08 AM

Apr 2012
I really hope Sayaka and Kyosuke don't die... ashjfdksd...

This is never going to stop being depressing then, eh? Oh well. I'll just stay here twitching and making scared noises. (I'm surprised by how dark this is. Well, I guess I was warned. XD)
Apr 16, 2012 4:31 PM

Mar 2011
That was rather boring.
Apr 25, 2012 7:05 PM
Mar 2012
Scary episode. Dark, dark, dark. I'm loving it. And that bit with the witch felt like something from Serial Experiments Lain.

Why am I thinking that the boyfriend isn't going to run into Sayaka's arms like she wants him to?

5/5
Apr 28, 2012 9:35 PM

Dec 2009
Well, this episode was somewhat somber, but the previous one was more interesting.
Either way, it was a good episode.
May 2, 2012 12:52 AM
Jan 2012
Kyubey, you are the devil.
May 21, 2012 10:31 PM
Nov 2008
Anyone know the name of the song where akemi fights charlotte
Jun 11, 2012 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
Not surprisingly, Sayaka uses her wish to help the guy. That was pretty obviously coming. So, that means Madoka must be next. I wonder if you could wish to revive people? There is a rule against that in pretty much every anime, so I doubt it. New girl seems interesting. New enemy? Probably at least at first.

This series is living up to everything i've heard about it. So much obvious psychology/manipulation elements to this series that I love.
Jul 16, 2012 2:40 PM

Oct 2011
The witch scenes are getting creepier and creepier. Something about the art style really freaks me out. Nice to see Sayaka used her wish to heal the guy's hand - even if it was expected. I'm just wondering when Madoka is going to become a magical girl and what her wish is going to be.

Kyoko looks interesting, but I hope she doesn't defeat Sayaka because I can only assume that means death.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

628 by GuhTheJado »»
May 12, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.