Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2011 5:03 AM

Jun 2010
Ironically, I didn't had any expectations from this anime, I thought it would be another childish - romance magical girl anime, but I was wrong.

I liked the beginning, the music was awesome. And it was indeed dark. Although it reminded me too much of Nanoha. Madoka's personality also seems similar to Nanoha's. And the wounded pet that was calling her... It was like Yuuno was calling Nanoha.

But the story is not determined yet.
Jan 7, 2011 5:06 AM

Sep 2009

I don't know what I just watched.

But I liked it.

I really, really liked it.
Jan 7, 2011 5:42 AM

Jul 2009
Well, that was cool. Darker than I expected, very interesting visuals ('attacked by Zetsubou sensei OPs' indeed), and nice music. Can't say much for the story or characters yet, though, since there hasn't been anything there that's stood out so far.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jan 7, 2011 5:59 AM

Aug 2009
endtime said:
aw22 said:
Anyone know what song was in start? (00:54-02:39) and I dont mean OP

that's the ed by kalafina.

That was the ED SONG? That was pretty dark.
Jan 7, 2011 6:35 AM

May 2009
Visual seems much more like Cossette than any other work by SHAFT.
Jan 7, 2011 7:03 AM

Apr 2009
It's a shame this is so bad, I'd hoped that after doing fairly well on Soremachi SHAFT would get it's act together, but I suppose that was just saved by the original work. I feel like I need to go... outside or something, to cure acute background deficiency.
Feeling down? You may already be a charge target.
Jan 7, 2011 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
Magical Girls on drugs. . . . .
Jan 7, 2011 7:28 AM

Mar 2010
Kajiura Yuki+Kalafina right at the beginning? And what's more, mahou shoujo+SHAFT?! Just awesome, even though I'm not a big fan of the genre, the first episode was quite decent.
Jan 7, 2011 7:32 AM

Nov 2009
Personally, I think some of the characters looked terrible at times. But at other times, they looked amazing, and the style / animations was great.

Definitely an interesting show, I have hopes that it will turn out pretty good.
Jan 7, 2011 7:48 AM

Feb 2010
O____O
That was like so A W E S O M E! And believe me, I am a person who doesn't write this often.

umm, guys, could you tell that I am not stupid, because the background music sounds SO much like Yuki Kajiura.
Jan 7, 2011 7:53 AM

Jul 2008
Never watched a mahou shoujo anime before, but I gotta say this one has hooked me deep already. I REALLY enjoyed the first ep.
Jan 7, 2011 7:54 AM

Feb 2010
Okay, it was Yuki Kajiura after all, I just need some glasses, because I overread her name by the stuff <.<
Jan 7, 2011 8:21 AM

Aug 2008
I was dissapointed at the begining. Same old sh*t from Shaft repeted over and over again. But after a while I was stunned. Nobody could do that creepy alternative dimenshion better than them. And Kajiura ftw!
Jan 7, 2011 8:33 AM

Jun 2009
-Katsu- said:
Pretty mad here, I expected SHAFT to have at least better than Arakawa animation here but it looks like fucking shit, I think it is probably pretty hard to find a show which is worse animated than this, animation errors everywhere in the first episode, dear god. Ugly as fuck zooming in the beginning as well. Looks like the more Budget SHAFT has the shittier the animation. I have watched my bunch of SHAFT shows, aka the shows with the shittiest animation in the industry, but with this they pretty much are at the lowest point possible. I hope the BD release gets a massive fix

Thank you. Here I was thinking I was the only one who noticed the god awful animation. People just don't realize that what shaft passes off as artistic animation is nothing more than animation saving techniques.

Anyway I am drawing parallels to Nanoha but in this case most Magical girl anime can be easily compared. I see potentail that the magical girls were talking about killing each other rather than simply fighting.(It would be interesting if we got another Shadow star Narutaru here...) Animation may piss me off constantly but I at least see a little potential in the story.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jan 7, 2011 8:38 AM
Nov 2010
The first minutes were really good because of the atmosphere. But then it got worse. I don`t like the drawings and the opening, the bgm is great though.
The biggest problem is the story. It is totally random.
Bakemonogatari had no good story as well but this anime based on its charas and talks. So I`m a little bit disappointed from SHAFT. The next two episodes will show if it`s worth to be watched.
Jan 7, 2011 9:11 AM

Feb 2009
What an utter disappointment.I liked the visuals in the ''world alteration'' scene and the soundtrack was great,but...that's about it.
It was so awfully cliched and not in a refreshing Hidamari way.It's like they took Miya,Hiro and Yuno and deprived them of their likable ''sides''.
I understand that it's a Mahou Shoujo and that cliches are inevitable,but come on...I still think that maybe they purposely did this to achieve ''a certain something'' later on.
Hopefully,it will redeem itself.I don't want to hate this as much as I hated DITVB.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jan 7, 2011 9:12 AM

Jan 2009
Everything, is so very SHAFT-y : D
I'm probably hooked, we'll see.
I mean, not just SHAFT, but Kajiura Yuki, Kalafina, great cast... ARRSDSDGJHSAD Senjougahara~~ <3
I don't see where this could go wrong.

Also,
Somehow seems very out of place.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 7, 2011 9:19 AM

Nov 2009
Kajiura + kalafina, and the OP was by claris(Though it did not sound like it was composed by Livetune). As for sound I am in.

Surreal type animation you don't see that often. Still like it though. I just hope the transformation sequences don't appear that often. They are good but too much is just too much. Well if they make it a bit different form time to time it might be ok.

Mahou shouju. Not in the mood right now but will be checking it out any way. I hope they spent a lot of time on the story since it an original.

BTW I like the architectural designs of the buildings. Lots of glass.
Jan 7, 2011 9:21 AM

Dec 2008
the OP was amazing!!!!

Jan 7, 2011 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Was I the only one disappointed that the opening battle sequence was better animated than the rest of the episode?
Jan 7, 2011 9:47 AM

May 2010
The psychedelic visuals is just too epic for words.

The SHAFT never fails to deliver.

The magical girls theme didn't really fit to my tastes but this bundled with Bakemonogatari feeling made me liked it.

The "Unlimited Musket Works" is just awesome.
Jan 7, 2011 9:56 AM

Dec 2009
Drugs?

The show was a bit "white" or "light" when it comes to animation, which almost made it a bit blurry and hard to watch sometimes. Otherwise. What the.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 7, 2011 10:05 AM

Jun 2008
Man, it was so Shaft that I could never say bad things about it. I mean totally. Shaft never fails and with all the big names involved it can't be mediocre. Shaft. And muskets and stuff.

Nah nah, the overall feel was nice. I hope it'll get a bit more interesting and at least be a shomewhat unique series since they went through the trouble of writing an original story.
YankowichJan 7, 2011 10:12 AM
- TAH

"Even those with fortitude have joints."
Jan 7, 2011 10:19 AM

Oct 2008
I couldn't believe it when she actually ate the toast instead of running out the house with it in her mouth.

I wasn't expecting much from this show at all but was very pleasantly surprised. Highly looking forward to more.
the Imaginary and the Real can never mingle.
Jan 7, 2011 10:35 AM

Aug 2010
Not bad at all, wasn't sure if I wanted to watch at first seeing how I never really watch magical girl themed shows but this seems like it's worth watching. The characters are cute, nice animation/visual's and Madoka's family is very cute and the mom is awesome xD
Jan 7, 2011 10:53 AM

Oct 2010
Oosran said:
Also,
Somehow seems very out of place.
Nice find Oosran! A premature screw up already? Does not look promising. Well, as long as they don't screw up the main parts it will be good, however we all remember the shit that happened in Dance in the Vampire Bund, let's hope it does not happen in this series. Although the BDs did bring justice back to Dance in the Vampire Bund.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 7, 2011 10:56 AM

Jul 2009
I'm confused lol, it was an interesting episode, just interesting, haha. Well I am a SHAFT fanboy, so that's the main reason I am watching it, and so far the animation is delivering.
Jan 7, 2011 11:00 AM

Oct 2010
KillerYandere said:
Magical Girls on drugs. . . . .
Funny you say that because the dimension they see as it changes from the real world, is in fact a possible hallucination that you can see if you intoxicate yourself enough with certain drugs.

Jan 7, 2011 11:00 AM

Jul 2009
Yumekichi11 said:

What happened in the BD?
Jan 7, 2011 11:14 AM

Jun 2009
Okay, it's my first Magical Girl anime (since there's Gen's story i'd feel like shit if i didn't watch it, so here i am).
So this was a really good first episode, liked it lots. Character design is rather weak, but it somehow fits and i got used to it already. Animation looks kinda cheap, moment when shit happened all around when Mami appeared was odd, but it somehow fits me with this show more than any other from Shaft. Story seems promising, they even talked about killing already wich i doubt is standard for a Magical Girl anime, eh? And it's Gen after all, i had faith in it ever since i got to know he's writing it. Seiyuu also seem well chosen, no complains about it.

tl;dr
Really good 1st episode, Madoka's mom is hot. ( ゚ヮ゚)
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 7, 2011 11:42 AM

Oct 2010
Miya_F_Exia said:
Visual seems much more like Cossette than any other work by SHAFT.
When compared to Pandora's heart, I agree with you completely. The alternate world is a complete mind fuck as Cossette was to me. That's why I will see this again in BD.
Kurogashi said:
In regards to Dance in the Vampire Bund, lots of nipples added towards Mina and better details/action.
OrochiPL said:
Story seems promising, they even talked about killing already wich i doubt is standard for a Magical Girl anime, eh?
Depends, if it has blood and is gruesome then I am with you.

Jan 7, 2011 12:03 PM

Feb 2010
Definetly Mushrooms.

Nice new SHAFT Stuff anyways!
Jan 7, 2011 12:09 PM

Jun 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
Although the BDs did bring justice back to Dance in the Vampire Bund.
So did they at least remove Lava Golem Mina?
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 7, 2011 12:23 PM

Mar 2008
Damn, SHAFT, this first episode amazed me. I remember the little spots of reclame in Arakawa, thought: bleigh a mahou shoujo anime.

But then I just watched the first ep and was blown away. Pretty awesome, it has my attention. Really, everything from Shaft I watched.. I liked it very much:

Bakemonogatari, Katanagatari, ef - a tale of melodies/memories.

They way they put up the visuales AND the music is just perfect for me. The music in this serie is also a big win. And that ending _O_

I think I am fanboygasm atm xD
Jan 7, 2011 12:31 PM
Nov 2008

1. No, I didn't search through every frame for errors, these are only the ones I noticed.
2. I don't really mind animation errors all that much, except if they distract from the main point, which was the case here.
Jan 7, 2011 12:55 PM

Nov 2008
Blutspender said:
Definetly Mushrooms.

Nice new SHAFT Stuff anyways!

This is what happens when you take magic mushrooms, LSD, and Marijuana at the same time, oh the drug interactions.

Jan 7, 2011 1:21 PM

Oct 2006
Not really convincing, but I'll see where it goes in the next few episodes..
Jan 7, 2011 1:32 PM

Jun 2008
Wow.
Wasn't expecting that at all...

Judging on all the commercial previews for this show during last season, I was expecting a moe induced sweet magic girl sterotype kind of anime. I couldn't of been more wrong.

It was original, unique, & something I could really love. I usually hate the magical girl genre, but there is always an exception for everything & I just found it.

5/5 for this episode...pure greatness.
Jan 7, 2011 1:39 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, this was really something else now wasn't it? Really interesting art style and setting. Glass classrooms don't seem that convenient to me but... =P

Still don't really know what's going on though. We'll see after a few episodes! =)

Jan 7, 2011 1:47 PM

Jul 2010
Wow. Can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 7, 2011 2:13 PM

Mar 2010
looks promising, the current winter line up pales in comparison with 2009/2010 hits. oh well its still early, they do make up with interesting art
Geso
-----:D
Jan 7, 2011 2:20 PM

Dec 2009
A lot of QUALITY in the animation here. Dear god.

But beside that, great episode. It certainly is bulging with ambition, so I'm curious where they'll be taking this.
Jan 7, 2011 2:26 PM

Mar 2008
-Katsu- said:

1. No, I didn't search through every frame for errors, these are only the ones I noticed.
2. I don't really mind animation errors all that much, except if they distract from the main point, which was the case here.

Didnt really saw these though o.o;;. I dont really care about it also x3
Jan 7, 2011 2:34 PM

Jul 2009
Holy jolly, this is the most awaited anime for me since Angel Beats, and I’m going what-the-hell again. But it’s “I am very intrigued and curious” version of what-the-hell, not “did I really wait for this crap” one, as was in case with Beats. I definitely want to watch the next episode. Regarding this one, opening sequence was delicious and Unlimited Musket Works feature was just socking great. Animation could be better though.
Jan 7, 2011 2:41 PM

Nov 2009
Oh holy crap... This is a pretty dark mahou shoujo for sure, but it still is rather cheery...at points. Unlimited musket works was wtf awesome, and Akemi is my favorite type of character pretty much.

Hoping this is long because it is annoying that she has just made contact at the end of the first episode. This could just be me waiting for next week though.
Jan 7, 2011 3:31 PM

Sep 2009
bg are similar to bakemonogatari, but oh well

despite the way the chars are drawn, the ep itself was pretty entertaining.

and lmao, that blond girl used Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon attack
Jan 7, 2011 3:36 PM

Nov 2008
Shit, I've no idea what to make of this. The cutesy slice of life parts are unbearable, but the weird SHAFT stuff is right up my alley.
Maybe I'll just skip the former. I'll get jack out of the story unless it gets all dark and jaded at some point, but I can't pass up all this acid.
Jan 7, 2011 3:56 PM

Nov 2009
Thank you Shaft for advertising this during Arakawa or I would of never of started this.

Really nice artwork and nice darkness!
Jan 7, 2011 4:16 PM

Mar 2009
Epic show is Epic!!

That was amazing, way better than I expected.

I can see some really good things in this show, and it doesn't seem like they're gonna go all loli-con on us, which is fantastic.

I didn't know if I was ever gonna get another Mahou Shoujo that's not loli-con.

Madoka is the epitome of Moe, so kawaii!

Blondie was great, death threats and all.

Senjougahara was awesome, especially the dream sequence.

Definitely watching this one!

Urahara Out!!
Jan 7, 2011 4:29 PM
Feb 2010
Great first episode. Next week needs to come faster.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

628 by GuhTheJado »»
May 12, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.