Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 2, 2008 4:57 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
...and the DVD-only episode is finally here after 2 months. Also, tyvm for BSS subbing it very fast, as usual.

I really liked this episode, it was a nice side-story filled with Horo goodness. The first part of it showed us what happened to the apples from the end of ep 6, and the rest of it showed us how Horo got her new clothes and what led up to the store they went to in ep 8.

I loved the part at the beginning of the ep:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDePC1zjEdE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDePC1zjEdE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Horo's line at the end was pretty funny too. "Do you want to have a bite and see for yourself?" :D

/Complete
LunaNov 13, 2012 4:32 AM
Jun 2, 2008 4:58 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Pokedude97 said:
"Do you want to have a bite and see for yourself?" :D

Yes, that was awesome. Very cute episode, Horo ftw.

Pokedude, if you edit your post you have to fix the youtube code again.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 2, 2008 5:16 PM

Jan 2007
man, i missed the way Horo and Lawrence would flirt with each other. Good times.
Jun 2, 2008 5:41 PM

Aug 2007
Hmm. Good episode.
Horo getting all flustered when Lawrence was buying her clothes was priceless.
Jun 2, 2008 5:54 PM

May 2007
cyruz said:
Pokedude, if you edit your post you have to fix the youtube code again.

Thanks, I noticed in 30 sec and quickly fixed it.
Jun 2, 2008 6:38 PM

Aug 2007
Other than all of the innuendo in the episode, I don't think there was a logical reason to make this a DVD-only episode. Still it was a great episode, missed all of those Horo/Lawrence moments. Hope they S2 this...
Jun 2, 2008 7:36 PM

Aug 2007
Ah man..love the chemistry between those two. Especially:

cyruz said:
Pokedude97 said:
"Do you want to have a bite and see for yourself?" :D

Yes, that was awesome. Very cute episode, Horo ftw.
Jun 2, 2008 8:24 PM

Nov 2007
This is kind of unfair. Now I miss Horo even more than when the series ended. :( Such a tease.
Jun 2, 2008 9:13 PM

Apr 2007
Nice episode. I love the chemistry between the two.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 2, 2008 10:27 PM

Mar 2008
Awesome and cute episode.
Jun 2, 2008 10:47 PM

Jul 2007
here's hoping for a second series....horooooooooo <3 <3 <3 this might be the only time id give in to bestiality and "have a bite and see for myself" XD
Jun 2, 2008 11:50 PM

May 2008
Just chiming in and agreeing with just about everyone here. Excellent episode, I can see why they held it off for the DVD release. It fits seamlessly with the rest of the series, and gives you a much stronger sense of their relationship.

C'mon second season!
Jun 3, 2008 12:42 AM

Feb 2008
Really good episode. I'm definitely going to miss these awesome Horo x Lawrence moments :(
Hope we get a 2nd season soon.
Jun 3, 2008 1:05 AM

Apr 2008
Was a pain I needed to go to work, when I just saw it online :/

Episode was full of joy, totally loved it and still can't get enough. The beginning was great, so was the cloth stand and the ending.

2nd Season is totally the right way to go...for the love of Horo <3
Jun 3, 2008 2:47 AM

Mar 2007
[02:47] <+Rani> WHAT THE FUCK
[02:47] <+Rani> i waited 2 months for that?!?!
[02:47] <+Rani> -_-
[02:48] <+Rani> allthough the sexual innuendo's was good

qft.

Today's merchant lesson was the use of charisma as an advantage over a deal and how to pick up hot furries.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jun 3, 2008 6:33 AM
Apr 2008
I just watched it and enjoyed it quite a lot. I liked all the conversations between Horo and Lawrence.
Jun 3, 2008 8:15 AM

Oct 2007
Faust721 said:
man, i missed the way Horo and Lawrence would flirt with each other. Good times.

Loved it, missed Horo !
Jun 3, 2008 9:03 AM

Aug 2007
Good to see some of my favourite characters after a while! So that's when Horo got those clothes. Anyhow, I think it's still a bit weird that it was DVD-only. Perhaps because it more felt like a filler or so. All with all still an lovely episode! ^.^
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jun 3, 2008 3:24 PM

May 2007
Awww...Horo was so pretty in this episode. Makes me miss my Spice and Wolf fix. Hopefully we'll see a second season sometime.

But I really don't understand the point and significance of showing this episode (episode 7 of all) as a DVD-only episode. I guess there's marketing strategies and such behind the logic.
Jun 3, 2008 6:57 PM

Mar 2008
I simply don't understand 90% of the dialogue. Even when they're just talking to each other and not about anything complicated, I just don't get what they're saying or why.

Is it just me? Or do you guys really enjoy this stuff:
Jun 3, 2008 7:01 PM

Jan 2008
Not what I expected but it was fine (not the strongest ep of the series though).
Jun 4, 2008 9:04 AM

Nov 2007
waahh!!! horo is soooo cute <3

definitely worth watching it! they both match each other very well :)

can't wait for S2!!!

Jun 4, 2008 11:06 AM

Dec 2007
that was a very good episode now i finally watched ep 7 and completed the series :)
Jun 4, 2008 11:22 AM

Apr 2007
Sheepdude said:

I understood that part fine. I found the dialogue the best part.

Basically Weiss decided to try and flirt with Horo. Lawrence got agitated while Horo played cute with him. When Lawrence complains Weiss tries to tell him he shouldn't hog Horo to himself and share. Lawrence then says there's no such things as sharing, there is only all or nothing. If for some extreme reason Weiss were to win it all there's also the fact that Horo comes with the extra baggage of having debts owed to Lawrence.

Weiss counters this by saying Horo shouldn't be worth any amount, she's priceless. Horo continues to act cute and claims that her heart is wavering between the two men. She then goes on to assure Weiss that her heart isn't wavering because of the money he has. In the end she playfully chides him for causing her heart to waver.

Jun 4, 2008 11:57 AM

Feb 2008
tainteddonut said:
Sheepdude said:

I understood that part fine. I found the dialogue the best part.

Basically Weiss decided to try and flirt with Horo. Lawrence got agitated while Horo played cute with him. When Lawrence complains Weiss tries to tell him he shouldn't hog Horo to himself and share. Lawrence then says there's no such things as sharing, there is only all or nothing. If for some extreme reason Weiss were to win it all there's also the fact that Horo comes with the extra baggage of having debts owed to Lawrence.

Weiss counters this by saying Horo shouldn't be worth any amount, she's priceless. Horo continues to act cute and claims that her heart is wavering between the two men. She then goes on to assure Weiss that her heart isn't wavering because of the money he has. In the end she playfully chides him for causing her heart to waver.

Yeah, can you explain the entire series to me, especially all the economics?
Pretty please! :)
Jun 4, 2008 12:08 PM

May 2008
Sheepdude said:
I simply don't understand 90% of the dialogue. Even when they're just talking to each other and not about anything complicated, I just don't get what they're saying or why.

There's nuance to the writing, that's a large part of my attraction to the show! Many of the lines can't be interpreted literally, but instead must be the cumulation of the speakers tone, their body language, etc... ; the translation from Japanese to English may make this more difficult to pickup.

Shows with clever and creative writing like this are hard to find, and sadly tend not to do well mainstream. But that's neither here nor there.

Tainteddonut's description was dead on, so hopefully that made things a bit clearer for ya!

Jun 4, 2008 12:21 PM

Apr 2007
kuroshiroi said:

I'm the wrong person to ask considering I've only seen 7 episodes so far ^^;

Jun 4, 2008 12:29 PM

May 2008
tainteddonut said:
kuroshiroi said:

I'm the wrong person to ask considering I've only seen 7 episodes so far ^^;

Heh, I think Kuroshiroi was being facetious.
(But if not, head over to the Spice and Wolf Fanclub and ask there!)
Jun 4, 2008 2:52 PM

Mar 2008
Oh, wow.

I could see that something LIKE that was happening, but the writing and pacing is such that I have a hard time following when I'm watching it.
Jun 4, 2008 7:01 PM

Jul 2007
I found this episode to be pretty weak, but it was nice to come back to the characters, even if only for a brief time. I think that says a lot about the rest of the series.
Jun 5, 2008 11:58 AM

Apr 2007
wow are you some of you guys really having trouble understanding the lines in this episode? I'd hate to see your response to something like NGE.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2008 12:58 PM

Nov 2007
Pointless episode but pretty cute nonetheless. Nice to see more S&W~
Jun 6, 2008 12:28 PM

Nov 2007
Aw, lovely. This is about the only anime that can show the main characters going shopping for the whole episode and still get 5/5 rating. Actually... I think I'll bump up the series' rating to 10, it deserves it, though some of the drawings of Horo in this episode were rather ugly.
This anime definitely needs a second season!
Jun 6, 2008 11:22 PM

Jan 2008
Why was this episode held back in the regular season? Fun to see Horo and Lawrance again.
Jun 15, 2008 1:55 PM

Mar 2008
Another very good episode. I love the chemistry between them, some of the scenes are very funny and quite heart warming. Hoping for a season 2 as well it needs it.
Jun 15, 2008 2:21 PM

Feb 2008
Finally I got the time and place right to watch episode 7. I had sushi, dimed light and a bushy feather duster (for stroking). And the episode didnt disappoint me. It was very heartwarming. Especially at the end ^^

But I have to admit that I also had my difficulties with the storyline this time.

Sheepdude said:

Lawrence: You want me to share? I won't share with you on top of the money exchanging fee, though. I either give you everything or nothing. If that happens, then she'll come with the debt she owes me. So, I believe that you need to show some level of determination.

.....Just look at the last thing Lawrence says. Do those five sentences flow, or even make sense? What's he saying? Maybe I'm insane but everything seems incoherent, like we're missing tons of lines that occur inbetween each of these. The dialogue is garbage.

Thanks to your listing I think I understand the scene better now:
All in all "Weiz" (...what a strange name) wants to tease Lawrence by asking him to share Horo. Lawrence answers that there would be no sharing, but rather "everything or nothing". And if Weiz would happen to get Horo, he should be aware of the fact that she comes with a great dept (...which she owes Lawrence). So Weiz needs some bravery and determination to take Horo and pay this price.

Thereupon Weiz tries to save his pride by saying that he would never try to "buy" (place a price on) something as sweet as Horo (....I totally agree), and Lawrence should be ashamed of his offer.

Horo of course plays the blushing bride which is flattered by the way Lawrence and Weiz dispute about her.

Oha.....just realised that it was already explained by another person. Well, double explanation is better than none. ;)
FTGTJun 15, 2008 2:25 PM
Jun 15, 2008 9:52 PM

May 2008
Man, FTGT, you really did go all out! I'm jealous!
Jun 15, 2008 11:27 PM

Sep 2007
Just finished watching it, though, I don't see th reason why this was made into a DVD-only episode. :/

However, it was nice to see Horo and Lawrence after waiting a long time for this episode, sort of nostalgia. :P

Damnit! Don't die without my permission!
Jun 16, 2008 12:09 AM

Oct 2007
I finally got around to watching this ep. it was pretty cute and all, but I realized that horo would get on my nerves eventually if I was Lawrence. Head games and arrogance wear pretty thin after a while.
Jun 16, 2008 12:39 AM

Jan 2008
I rather don't understand explaining why they'd earn a profit from losing by selling those clothes to other merchant o_O
Jun 16, 2008 10:55 AM

Feb 2008
Uss said:
I rather don't understand explaining why they'd earn a profit from losing by selling those clothes to other merchant o_O

I understood it in the following way:
First of all Lawrence bought cheep winter clothes for Horo and himself giving an impression, as if they were a rather poor couple. Than he tells the shop owner that he is a merchant himself and has good connections to the famous "Milone company". Because of this he would very likely come to this town more frequently.
With this speech he gives the impression of a young merchant starting his carrier and establishing business connections on the way. Of course the shop owner wants Lawrence to be a regular customer, so he makes him a special offer.
After that Lawrence asks for nice woman clothes and gets it for a very low price since the shop owner still wants to give a good impression and thinks Lawrence is quite poor (...and of course Horo is just too cute to be true and plays her part!).
So even if Lawrence sells the winter clothes with a loss, all in all he gained profit, since the noble woman clothes are way more worth than the seven coins he paid for it! ^^

Kaplan said:
Man, FTGT, you really did go all out! I'm jealous!

What do you mean by "all out" if I may ask? O_o
Jun 16, 2008 2:27 PM

May 2008
FTGT said:

Well I knew from the fanclub that you had said you were going to make sure the atmosphere was perfect before you watched Episode 7 (from the fanclub), but I figured you were jokin! But, sounds like you really did make sure everything was just right before watching. Makes me wish I had done something more for my viewing.

Uss said:

I'm agreeing with FTGT's explanation, that's how I understood it. So while it's not as if they're going to be walking away with more actual coin after all the transactions, they will have saved a substantial amount on their purchases, and gained more in assets (the clothing), rather than hard currency.

If Lawrence were to turn around and sell Horo's new clothing at another store/town, then they'd have more money on hand and will have profited. But then Horo would have to give up her new clothes, and I don't think she's gonna let that happen.
Jun 17, 2008 4:29 AM

Jan 2008
Oh thx a lot now I get it and it was bothering me quite much ;P
Jun 17, 2008 12:26 PM

Feb 2008
Kaplan said:
FTGT said:

Well I knew from the fanclub that you had said you were going to make sure the atmosphere was perfect before you watched Episode 7 (from the fanclub), but I figured you were jokin! But, sounds like you really did make sure everything was just right before watching. Makes me wish I had done something more for my viewing.

LOL.....I see. Well, Im celebrating every S&W material I can find. ^^
Jun 19, 2008 9:08 AM

Feb 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! *Smile*

Just rewatched episode 7 and found something out:
The story of Spice and Wolf takes place in Germany!! Its for sure....

Just look at the Dokument Lawrence is reading at the beginning of the episode. It says "Ein Bericht über ...". Which means "A report of ....". But unfortunately I cant read the last word in the headline.

I didnt think it would be possible, but I love this show more and more, everytime I watch it. ^^

Jun 26, 2008 8:35 AM

Dec 2007
I'm not sure whether its the pause of watching Spice and Wolf, the episode that i have been waiting for a long time was strangely disappointing too me. As least they explained the clothes.
Jun 29, 2008 5:14 PM

Mar 2007
Sheepdude said:

Go back to watching Naruto and One Piece. If u want to understand what they're talking about read my review.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jul 3, 2008 9:43 AM

Feb 2008
xKana said:
I'm not sure whether its the pause of watching Spice and Wolf, the episode that i have been waiting for a long time was strangely disappointing too me. As least they explained the clothes.

Nah I think it is more that people was expecting something more special about the mystery episode.
Forum signatures are annoying.
Jul 11, 2008 5:03 AM

Jan 2008
It was a nice and simple episode :P
Jul 28, 2008 2:08 PM

Jun 2008
Very cute episode, as usual. I thought it was funny when Horo was stringing the coin changer along. She is so sly. ^.^
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
Yesterday, 5:05 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Gwertzman - Feb 6, 2008

131 by 0451 »»
May 1, 5:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.