Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 16, 2018 7:52 AM

May 2016
Looks like Yang's fall is near :\
Apr 29, 2018 1:01 AM

Mar 2017
The foreshadowing in this show is generally very good but there are instances where its a little too heavy-handed. For example Kempf's death seems pretty predictable after the scene where he says goodbye to his family (episode 28?) although this complaint seems to have less value after we see Wahlen come home after a similar scene (57,58,63), though minus one arm.

The scene referring to Yang's miscalculation seemed like way too much information. What's the point of telling us "This is where Yang totally screws up!"? It seems like it only serves to make the audience anxious and ruin part of the drama.
May 13, 2018 6:04 PM
Apr 2018
Why is everyone always hating on Yang for his motivations while giving Reinhard a free pass when it has been stated he is just waging a war out of greed and boredom. I'll take a bad democratic president Trump who you can vote out after 4 years over a life long president Putin any day. Reinhard may go with the democratic route after he dies but if that's what he wants he should have told Wang and the war could have been over by now, but even then who is to say Reinhard won't further turn evil in his own lifetime?

That said the El Facil government are just as bad as the Alliance under Lobello.

I got the feeling that Reinhard was disappointed when he found out that Yang was guilty of Meerkatz actions all along. Like he doesn't want to wage war against him even though he now knows he has to kill him.

For God's sake Wang look at that disc. Julian too, you are an idiot for not looking at it especially after it was stolen. Boris is totally right that Julian needs his own motivations. I predict after we least heard the Earth cult that they intend to assassinate Wang and that if he would only look at that damn disc he could prevent it.

So Wang's plan is to take over Iserhorn, and then have the Phezzani revolt when the Empire leave to defend it. Good plan and Rubinski's meddling might help in that regard.

I'm going to rank the seven different factions in order of who currently has the most power as the episodes go on.

1) The Reich. Obviously the most powerful of them all and about to eliminate their biggest rival.

2) The Free Planets Alliance- A dying force but putting up a damn good futile fight.

3) Yang Wanli's fleet. About to attack Iserhorn and the capture of it could have things interesting.

4) El Fail. Effectively hold Yang hostage right now, but could be about to get lots of money.

5) Rubinski. Never underestimate this guy!

6) The Earth Cult. They are still out there, somewhere.

7) The Goldenbaum Dynasty. Basically just a handful of people right now.
Oct 21, 2018 12:59 PM
Apr 2018
Damn, this show makes you think.
Nov 7, 2018 8:36 PM

Feb 2017
Julian was rocking the collared shirt plus hoodie style. Maybe I should try that someday. Nice sneakers, too.
May 15, 2019 7:57 PM

Jul 2008
JohnWoo said:
Why is everyone always hating on Yang for his motivations while giving Reinhard a free pass when it has been stated he is just waging a war out of greed and boredom. I'll take a bad democratic president Trump who you can vote out after 4 years over a life long president Putin any day.

Putin looking a lot better than Trump in 2019
May 22, 2019 6:13 AM

Jan 2013
Who is even guarding Iserlohn right now? Reinhard is aware that Yang may go after it right
Nov 17, 2019 12:19 AM

Oct 2012
The narrator just spoiled us with some of the Yang's miscalculations
After all this time he appeared out of nowhere, I don't want to hear his failures :(
Well he's not perfect afterall, he made mistakes too
But I hope it won't hurt his future too much, I can only hope

Yea, Julian can't surpass Yang if he's too loyal
He'll probably struggle in the near future

Haha Schenkopp, he's a sly father xD
"Signature removed"
May 6, 2020 12:58 PM

Jul 2019

Yang's such an ideologue. Democracy's fine and dandy, but he should think of the huge majority who cares about quality of life first and foremost before sending millions of human lives to their doom. It's not like they're fighting against the awful Goldenbaum Dynasty, as Reinhard's regime is certainly a huge improvement, the Empire right now is a more free and happy society than the Alliance.

And I know the possibility of an awful despot succeeding Reinhard is considerable, but so is the people choosing awful people like Trunicht and his Patriotic Knight Corps. Wouldn't be wonderful to buy just a couple of decades of peace under a competent leader after 150 years of bloodshed? I think that would worth the risk. Unfortunately human lives seem to be too cheap.
Nov 18, 2020 5:44 AM
Feb 2018
What a great episode. This episode set everything up perfectly. Yang wanting Julian to be more mutinous is interesting. Also schenkopp not having his daughter on the mission was sooo funny.
Dec 16, 2020 10:39 PM
Jun 2017
Reinhardt doesn't look good. Without any opponents, he is just immobile and bored. I have felt that in many times, particularly when I finish a strategy game. After one subjugates all of the map, the only question remaining is "Now what?", while my eyes stare blankly to the monitor depicting a glorious united empire. But without the thrill of the conquest... That's why people like Oberstein are essential. Any hero needs someone who he can place in charge of the administration and let him transform the will to battle into a will to govern. In any way, sometimes it's better to end everything at the prime than to languish for many years.

It was endearing to see Schenkopp ruling out his daughter for the recapture operation. I'm sure he would know she would be very upset by that decision, but that sudden manifestation of fatherly love was something I couldn't overlook. Now for the main dish...

After a dozen episodes, I still do not understand why does Yang Wenli keep on fighting against the Empire. Attenborough said that they were fighting out of pure foppery and whim, and even Yang himself recognized that not much was likely to change for good if Reinhard were to be defeated.
I see that much of Yang's support steams from the dichotomy between democracy and autocracy. Though the government with appropriate representation and control of the executive is the most reasonable choice for most states, it's difficult to rule out that autocracy has in itself some redeeming qualities.

To start with, no one but a fool could turn a blind eye to the structural reforms that the reign of Reinhard has brought to the Empire, the most important of them being the reformation of the nobility and the suppression of many of their privileges. That, from the beginning, ensures that a meritocratic system can be applied (and has actually been applied by the Kaiser since the first day of his reign), meaning that the obsolete blood rights are scrapped for good in favour of a most reasonable approach to power and privileges.

Second, Kaiser Reinhard is still young. Being an illustrated despot, it's assured that his government will continue reforming the old system to make it more beneficial to the people, and if he lives long, those reforms would be so engrained into the system that undoing them would be met with fierce resistance by the people.

As a history lover, I must take into account a very powerful example for us: the fall of the Roman Republic. It once was the best example of the rule by the people (so much that it served as an example for many governments even a millennium or two after its fall), but by the year 50 b.C it was just the shadow of it's former glory. Long past were the times of powerful men like the Scipios or reformers like the Gracchus, and only rotten apples were sitting at the Senate and wearing purple togas.

I'm sure that most of you will remember that from your History classes, so I'll save you the dissertation. What I want to focus is about it's current state and how did it gave birth to the most influential empire of all times: the Roman Empire. Emperor Augustus was no doubt a very smart and even virtuous man, which restored the former glory that Rome once had after its long war against Carthage. He was a man who revitalized the nation and brought forth many changed whose effects can still be felt today. No one could deny the the need for a man like Augustus that the Roman Republic had in its last years, torn apart by corruption and civil war, whose efforts earned him the rightful title of Pater Patriae by the Senate.

Reinhard and Augustus are similar men. Both of them are warriors, and of great intellect. Both of them were in charge of uniting a Nation (Rome and humankind) and create a better system than the one they fought against. Both of them did radical reforms which greatly increased the well-being of people. There are many more matching points that I will not expose here for the sake of time, but will leave to your consideration.

As necessary as it was, Augustus reign ended, and was succeeded by Tiberius. Many of you will also remember the bloodshed of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty, so I will not delve deep into that. But anyway, the end of the Julio-Claudian wasn't the end of the reforms brought forth by Augustus.

What I'm trying to get across is that autocracy is sometimes necessary. Before Augustus rise to power, the Roman democracy was rotten, corrupted and degenerated, and only fools would still advocate for the same principles that brought them into that situation. Those problems could only be resolved through the enthronement of a heroic new emperor, which knew how to hold them tight through his life. Yes, it is true that Augustus' heir, Tiberius, was a cruel man, though not many know that the best heirs for Augustus died long before him, almost everyone of them by palatial deceptions and internal disputes, and also by influence from his wife, Livia Augusta. For the meantime, it isn't likely for Hilda to turn into a Livia, and the Earth Cult could be disposed of after the subjugation of the galaxy, so no hard sweat on that part.

Now that a mention a heir, it is not always true that the immediate heirs of the heroic emperors are a degeneration of them. Through the proper care and education, they can carry on the achievements of their predecessors. For instance, we have emperors Vespasian and his son Titus, or the five good emperors, which all had exceptional heirs (except from Marcus Antonius and Titus himself). Even so, I must recognize that these great works can come crumbling down due to the wrong of one heir, like happened with Domitian and Commodus.

Even cruel heirs do not mean the disappearance of great progress, as Tiberius and Caligula did not undermine the advent of Claudius, or Nero with Vespasian, or Domitian with the five good. All in all, with the best men to lead them, every empire can retain its days of glory.

Taking into account all of the stated above, in the meantime, there is no reason to oppose the rule of Kaiser Reinhardt von Lohengramm. "In every time, in every age, the deeds of men remain the same" is something that many appear to have forgotten. The flow of History is unstoppable and thus it is useless to stand against it, and no one more than Yang, an historian, should know that better.
Dec 16, 2020 10:49 PM
Jun 2017
JohnWoo said:
Why is everyone always hating on Yang for his motivations while giving Reinhard a free pass when it has been stated he is just waging a war out of greed and boredom. I'll take a bad democratic president Trump who you can vote out after 4 years over a life long president Putin any day. Reinhard may go with the democratic route after he dies but if that's what he wants he should have told Wang and the war could have been over by now, but even then who is to say Reinhard won't further turn evil in his own lifetime?

As I have stated previously, Yang is the one fighting a war for pure fanatism and whims. There is no use in upholding those democratic principles he is so fond of when the citizens of the Empire are living better than the citizens of the Alliance.

Reinhard isn't waging the war out of greed and boredom. If the Alliance isn't disposed of as soon as possible, then the reforms done by him on the Empire would be of no use, and many billions of people would suffer because of the fight for the democratic principles that are supposed to help them.

It's ridiculous to stand in the ship that is sinking if one does not bear the rank of Captain. If one fights for principles that are by every means hollow, one is no different from the fanatics from the Earth Cult.
Dec 22, 2020 2:46 AM

Dec 2020
reinhard's character becomes more and more tragic as time passes. fraulein mariendorf's insights in this episode are a treasure, as always, and i can't help but share her concerns. the "burning out" of the bright star that is reinhard has been hinted at for a long while now and, more than become stagnant, i fear he might bring something properly devastating upon himself. i trust his talents too much to believe something like that might actually happen, but it's still sad to see him look so somber. although it seems like no accomplishment will ever yield him any peace in that sense... if only kircheis were here. :(

on a very different note, it was sooo great to see julian reunited with yang (and frederica). he kept himself damn busy on odin, so no positive reports to yang about reinhard's rule like i predicted. boris played such part just as well, though, pointing out that reinhard hasn't made any mistakes whatsoever since becoming kaiser, as well as that his defeat won't guarantee the emergence and maintenance of a universal democracy. meanwhile, the rushed quality of yang's efforts to fight back against the empire keeps getting brought up, and not without reason. either way, even if not very motivating, yang's "harm reduction" reasoning regarding the long run became a lot more clear. this was likely the most significant exchange of the entire episode, with some very interesting remarks about julian from boris. much to think about - and yang's obviously not feeling very up to it, lol. boy do i have a terrible feeling about this...

as to the end of the episode, it really doesn't get any more ominous than this. i can only hope my faves make it out unscathed. :0

Feb 4, 2021 5:10 AM

Oct 2016
As a whole it was a great episode but Yang not thinking about the Alliance making a move on their own and not checking che floppy disk was kinda out of carácter for him and man does that narrator loves to spoil stuff.
Aug 25, 2021 4:01 AM

Jul 2016
1inaforest said:
The foreshadowing in this show is generally very good but there are instances where its a little too heavy-handed. For example Kempf's death seems pretty predictable after the scene where he says goodbye to his family (episode 28?) although this complaint seems to have less value after we see Wahlen come home after a similar scene (57,58,63), though minus one arm.

The scene referring to Yang's miscalculation seemed like way too much information. What's the point of telling us "This is where Yang totally screws up!"? It seems like it only serves to make the audience anxious and ruin part of the drama.

Yeah, In am not feeling good about Yangs future here...
Sep 3, 2021 12:20 PM

Dec 2018
Yang is basically my least favorite character in the show
started off cool but just gets worse every episode and the plot armor written in on his behalf is something straight out of a children's shonen
dude just go retire somewhere
"i hate politics and idealists but i'm going to fight for a political ideal"
"i hate war and want to retire therefore i'm going to stir it up and get back into something that doesn't even really concern me when i could just go be a dairy farmer somewhere"
god i hate him
Jun 7, 2022 4:29 PM

Dec 2007
loved the discussion in this thread. when anime is making us thinking on some level of thinking it's only saying that the anime had raised it's level than just pure entertainment like other anime, but true literature that makes the reader thinks about the story and both sides.
i would love to contribute more to the discussion, but it will be long one and i want to binge more LOGTH episodes lol.

anyway, poplan is one crazy guy lol. cannot miss a girl without starting with her.

once again, yang is controlled by politician rule. if i were him i would reconsider cooperating with al facil. remembering what yang thought about al facil government in the previous episode would make us learn that he realized he just changed the domain but not the political rule.

the whole shcenkopp's daughter got out of control lol.
wonder what she thought there at the end.

the thing about julian made me curious as well, it's only shows that julian hadn't grew up.
and it's only makes me wonder about the earth cult disc, what will be so important there.
if i i will have take a guest, it may cause yang regrets for opposing the empire, as it may needs it help?

and it's just me, or the narrator, again, spoilered the next war? lol
Jul 21, 2022 8:04 PM
Jun 2022
Julian certainly has visited all corners of this galaxy, but he has lots to learn yet.

Loved the scene between Dusty and Schenkopp about his daughter.

Last, but not least: there’s something dread in that disk. Maybe a plot to assassinate Yang? Who knows…
Sep 7, 2022 1:01 AM
Jul 2019
good episode, irritates me that yang is invincible. Hes an excellent commander though but I still feel he shouldve lost in their last engagement.
Dec 11, 2022 3:56 PM

May 2018
Poplan was right all along! Also Schenkopp is surprisingly kind to his daughter lol
Jan 20, 2023 12:46 AM

Aug 2018
Yang is becoming more and more confused about his beliefs and morals, plus the self interest behavor of El Facil goverment is adding to the problem.

Julian has high potential in the upcoming episodes,  but its gonna be interesting to see how he develops and how will the whole data he posseses play out
Mar 6, 2023 3:50 AM

Jul 2017
the narrator at the end of the episode really scared me for the outcome of this battle.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Apr 18, 2023 2:03 PM

Feb 2012
2023 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Nov 2020
man I love this show, characters are definitely the strength of the series
smoke dat weed get high as shit
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

604 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 30, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 89 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

160 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 2, 2008

431 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

140 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

134 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 4:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.