Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 2, 2014 1:12 PM
Nov 2013
3 episodes in, and I'm liking it so far. I really enjoy the directing and general atmosphere, reminds me of Blade Runner. And I'm always up for a dystopia story. I'm not finding it nearly as confusing as a lot of people here seem to be. I love Re-l's character, and the soundtrack seems quite good. My main issue with the series so far is Vincent's character though. He's really unlikable for me. Don't like his design, don't like his face, don't like his attitude, don't like his personality. But that slap was nice :)

Zolar said:
ownosourus said:
Who the hell was that little girl? And what happened to Vincent? This is getting confusing. Some explanations please.

No one knows what is going on because its only the 3rd episode! Pay attention and figure the show out for yourself.

Thank you. It really annoys me when people complain about a show not completely laying everything out for you immediately. If there is something you don't understand, it's most likely because you are not supposed to understand it yet. This isn't Naruto.
SatanicBeaverJan 2, 2014 1:17 PM
Mar 2, 2014 8:39 AM

Jan 2009
1. i was about to drop this series half way in this ep cuz no emotion/comic relief.

2. the 2nd half got good, especially the end with vincent's green eyes and the gate shutting.

3. i want to drop it but it still has my interest. just 1 more episode i guess...

4/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 25, 2014 1:05 AM

Aug 2013
Pino's so adorable O__O

How does Pino know where to go or what to do? Who is Vincent? So many questions but yeah I'm hooked.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 25, 2014 1:44 AM

Dec 2013
Only one word for this show...WOW.
May 19, 2014 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
Still some things unanswerd.

May 25, 2014 3:14 PM

Mar 2014
those eyes... damn! the animation is more than perfect! I get hooked up with every episode so much! wtf with the little girl???? what was the purpose of helping Vincent?!?!
Apr 15, 2015 5:16 PM

Aug 2014
The opening is good. It seems the city is in the air or something.
Jun 12, 2015 3:38 PM

Jan 2015
I loved the OP, but in this episode I was like WTF is going on?! Very confusing
Aug 2, 2015 9:31 PM

Mar 2011
LOLI GA KITA!!!

I should have started to watch it earlier, now I would be re-watching it. lol
Amazing show/animation/story.
Aug 9, 2015 12:29 AM

Jan 2014
Ok... The Secrecy Bureau, or part of it, is, or were, doing something fishy about those Proxys (which are just other type of machines or humans turned machines?), until one of them got out. So now everyone who sees the Proxys are traced back by Secrecy Bureau, who try to make them appear like crazy ones (Lil) or criminals (Vincent, whose position as Immigrant doesn't help).
About Vincent, there's something going on about him, we still don't know what, though. Is him a Proxy? I doubt so, but how he got out from the battle with the Proxy at the mall? With whom was he struggle in the train? Was it a dream or something else (probably so). Why the Proxy was chasing him?

I don't know if it was explained, maybe I missed it, but is Lil already acquainted with Vincent? They seemed pretty close.
Aug 26, 2015 5:49 PM

Apr 2014
Does that old man have dragon's voice actor from one piece?
Dec 6, 2015 11:28 AM
Mar 2014
Eh this was rather confusing, seems like Vincent has a double personality (?)

Also why does Pino want to help him so much?

I don't think it's the end of Vincent tough, i guess Pino is going to safe him.
Jan 8, 2016 12:58 AM

Jul 2010
I get such Serial Experiment Lain vibes from this show.
Pino in a bunny suit? Lain in a bear suit?
It's pretty fucking cool.
That fall was damn cute -- had to watch it like five times, lol.

I can't get enough of this ending theme.
Feb 2, 2016 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
I still don't get half of what's happening at all.
Pino is so cute. She's so adorable in the midst of all this thrill LOL.
Vincent's eyes are so creepy to the point that its sexy. xD
This is what a mystery is suppose to be like.
May 5, 2016 12:48 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Confusing episode ... so the people should not be able to investigate with free will?
And I don't think he died either ... And what about Pino?
I realy need more information for this @_@
Next ep here I come ...

Sep 9, 2016 8:05 AM

Mar 2010
Pretty sure vincent will make a comeback, probably as a proxy? Who knows.. All is speculation and ai soooo love this. I mean the suspence yet it not being overly obvious :)

Pino is cute yet theres something to her.. She may not be as cute as she appears to be.. Maybe we find out soon? Or maybe im overthinking
Oct 10, 2016 12:44 AM

Jan 2010
Ah, we finally have an opening. And of course it's full of symbolism and passages from places I can't decipher. I'd probably need the Book of Genesis in one hand and a copy of Jenseits des Lustprinzips in the other to figure this out.

I'm not entirely sure why Mayer keeps talking to Iggy if he could be compromised at a moment's notice.

Oh, and the statues are apparently of various philosophers, active between the 17th and 20th centuries, whose works dealt with postmodernism, post-structuralism, transcendental consciousness, and immaterialism. Though, there are definite female statues in the mix, which throws that piece of information into question. Still, they're placed in reference to Michelangelo's Medici Chapels in Florence, which is both a celebration of a family legacy and a statement of religious weight. In Ergo Proxy, these components are all mixed together in an arcane concoction, though the major themes seem to be regarding control, information, and identity in a futuristic setting.

So...this is about the decentralized location of the self amidst a setting where order and logic is valued in the form of systematic binaries? Law's assumed "other self" is a physical manifestation of this theoretical postulation? Mayer's presence in the story is to provide the viewer the shoes of an an onlooker trying to understand the narrative from inside the system? Did...did I get that right?
Dec 3, 2016 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
I doubt Vincent died but it was cool seeing that the futuristic city was floating.
May 6, 2017 5:12 PM

Jun 2013
Pino is the best. I wonder if she's completely self-aware or not. When the other autoreivs attained self-awareness, they went berserk, so if she is, she must be different somehow. I liked how Re-l had no idea how to react to her.

It's not clear to me if this city is located in the upper atmosphere of Earth, or a different planet altogether. I definitely want to see what the city looks like from the outside.

The conversation in the Administrator's room was interesting, I wonder what they meant by their raison d'etre being destroyed. It also seems like that Re-l as a project didn't quite work out as they expected, she's become a subversive by now.
Aug 11, 2017 10:52 PM
Jan 2017
Another awesome episode and opening is clearly the best I have seen in an anime and I will be waiting for the pretentious shit the people keep talking about.
Nov 20, 2017 1:48 AM

Dec 2015
Now I'm really curious what the outside world looks like, I hope they show it to us.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 8, 2018 8:46 AM

Oct 2014
i don't know what the hell is happening but wow i am love with the op - it reminds me of the openings for blood+ (which the first three are amongst my favorite anime openings). def going in there with them

love the ed too, paranoid android is my favorite radiohead song so that was quite the pleasant surprise \( ̄▽ ̄)/
Jan 17, 2018 10:21 AM

Mar 2012
Well that was pretty cool. Digging the mystery around Vincent, seems like he might have a split personality or he's just suppressing his true self which is shown whenever they focus on his eyes.

He's not the other Proxy though since it had red hair like the guy who was shown in the beginning of ep 1. Although I suppose there's the possibility of there being more than just two Proxies.
Mar 7, 2018 6:44 PM

Feb 2013
So intense! 5/5

I'm watching this with my home theater, the volume at movie levels (1000w system)... my gosh the sound and background noise is so good.
Mar 25, 2018 2:44 PM

Mar 2018
This show has been incredible so far. If they keep this quality up it'll be one of my favorite shows for sure.
Apr 9, 2018 11:37 PM

Sep 2017
The immigrant at the end is quite hot when he started falling off the vent. Also Pino was cute.

The OP was nicely animated. Love to see more of it. I hope that the plot picks up its pace. Till now this episode was the slowest in the 3 episodes. Let's see if the mystery factor amps up.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Apr 22, 2018 9:15 PM

Oct 2012
So happy to come here and find out that I'm not the only one who doesn't know what's going on. Boy am I interested though. Great episode. Loving the mystery and atmosphere.
May 14, 2018 12:58 PM

Jan 2018
Her onesies is so adorable!

Pino is ridiculously cute in this episode!

Damn, the outside of the dome looks bleak as hell. They weren't kidding when they say the world is in a global ecological crisis. But Vincent was outside without an oxygen mask. With his eyes, I'm assuming that he is the other Proxy. Perhaps the government was experimenting with Proxies in the hopes that the people inhabiting the utopia would be able to leave outside and live in that environment. We'll just have to wait and see.
BofthreeMay 14, 2018 1:01 PM

Apr 4, 2020 7:51 PM

Dec 2013
It's getting weirdest and weirdest. To be honest i bet that Vincent gonna died but i would never thought it will be so quickly, shit happened.
Apr 24, 2020 9:04 PM

Mar 2020
God i forgot how much i love Pinooo
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
May 12, 2020 3:40 PM

Jun 2019
this was a good episode, i think i will enjoy this series :D
Nov 26, 2020 4:17 PM

Jun 2010
Why does Vincent react angrily when the cops show up as if Re-l had lead them to him? Given that he has no idea that Re-l is getting on the wrong side of the authorities, shouldn't that be exactly what he expects? The scene plays out like Vincent and Re-l are good friends but they seemed the furthest thing from it in episode 1 where Re-l treated Vincent very officiously and couldn't even remember his name. It seemed like they barely knew each other.

Presenting cliffhangers with Vincent and the monster and Pino and the robot-hunters in the last episode only to show both of them having escaped those situations without explanation is fairly annoying.
Mar 2, 2021 10:11 AM
Apr 2019
Pino best companion ^-^
May 21, 2021 6:19 PM

Mar 2018
The OP is probably one of my favorites musically and visually, captures the atmosphere of the anime really well. Has the feeling of something like Mushishi / Lain OP.

The feeling of alluringness I'm getting from this anime is very reminiscent of Haibane Renmei or even Lain, where the mystery of this series intrigues me greatly. Really looking forward to this one so far considering that feeling it gives off.

Cuteness overload with Pino.
Jun 5, 2021 3:23 PM
Mar 2021
in the first episode, I was a bit confused because of all the new terminology which put me off so I decided to stop watching it, but then after a while, I decided to watch more episodes. that is when I realized that this anime is kinda really good, it leaves me wanting more at the end of each episode. currently just finished ep3 and I'm soo curious as to see what happened to vincent law. lmao that little girl is so adorable I just can't >_< so much mystery I'm soo excited to see all the next episodes!
Jun 9, 2021 10:52 PM

Jul 2009
Finally Opening!! I really miss this :)

So now Vincent is on the run. I like Pino!! She's really seem like an innocent Auto Reiv.

Vincent jumping! I like how Pino was just pulling his stuff normally while everyone waits at awe.
Sep 29, 2021 10:56 AM
Nov 2020
Damn those statues are creepy though
Jul 6, 2022 6:31 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The opening is just too good for both song and visually :o Anyway that's some nice progression while keeping the mystery aspect for almost every side, but they're really teasing a lot about Vincent with his condition which doesn't seem normal at all regarding the dream at the beginning (and I believe he managed to escape the mall to fall unconscious in the train) but I wonder how he escaped from the Proxy though or it means that the dream he had was caused because of the Proxy presence that made him fall unconscious (?) Anyway Pino seems to be one of the key characters regarding her AutoReiv's rebel behavior because of the virus and her opening the dome's gate at the end was some lit stuff, it just makes me wonder what's really Re-L and Vincent's relationship to begin with... now the question is if he died or not but falling out of the dome is already that hard I have no idea how he would survive.
Sep 8, 2022 12:44 PM

May 2018
COME AND SAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeh~
Nov 10, 2022 1:56 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
PINOOOOOO!!!!! So THIS is where that character is from, never would've thought that.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 20, 2023 7:48 AM
Jun 2020
great start to this series.
Dec 7, 2023 8:13 PM

Dec 2022
Vincent will probably be back with a vengeance against the bureau after all that. No doubt he isn't enamoured with them at this point. Another surprise is that he can open his eyes, which are an unexpectedly vibrant green.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 17, 2023 9:18 AM
Mar 2021
Third episode in, still don't understand a single thing about this anime...
Apr 12, 10:55 AM
Aug 2023
To be honest, I was losing faith in continuing the anime as the first two episodes were not connecting with me, but leave it to the 3rd episode to grabbing me and giving me theories to think of regarding what could come next.

For those that feel like me at the start, keep faith!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xel - Jun 7, 2008

100 by llamav »»
Mar 7, 4:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.