Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 31, 2008 5:30 PM
May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like the immigrant committed suicide. But those green eyes keep me wondering if there isn't something more to him. And why was that small girl helping him? I wonder if this episode really is the last time we'll see him.
Sep 2, 2008 4:17 AM

Jan 2008
I was somewhat confused with this episode. So what happened when he was trapped with the other Proxy?
The little AutoReiv girl, Pino, why was she there as well? Did she escape when her house was raided (who raided who house anyway?) Zomg, so many questions...
Sep 16, 2008 11:57 PM

Jan 2008
Both Vincent and Pino have some mysterious side. Pino was also involved in the Proxy attack at the mall. These episodes seem to create pieces of a puzzle but they are not put together in order yet.
I love RadioHead's song as the ending theme.
Oct 4, 2008 8:05 AM

Jun 2008
confusing.....
Nov 8, 2008 3:02 AM

Apr 2007
Vincent's eyes look pretty :D
It's such a nice shade of green.

I don't think he committed suicide because he is just too valuable to die, imo.

Jan 1, 2009 2:36 PM
Sep 2008
Vincent seems kind of like a main character to me, so I don't think that he'll die... Like the last episode you get the feeling that he might, but I hope he survives.

A bit confusing, but it makes more sense with each episode I think.
May 19, 2009 6:34 PM

May 2008
Who killed Vincent's AutoReiv? Did the Citizen Security Bureau do it to frame him?

Also, just a little nitpick, how come when Pino opened the gate and a vacuum ensued how come Vincent and Re-l (protected by Iggy) appeared to be sucked out and Pino was just there near the control unmoved (except for the fluttering cat/bunny suit ears)?

Yup, I too wont assume that Vincent will die. He's just too important, those green yes meant something! Remember when the Proxy confronted him when trapped behind the steel door? We never got to know what happened but that was the first time he flashed his green eyes.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
May 27, 2009 4:31 PM

Dec 2008
oh so many questions. and now it has turned around and smacked me with even more. •_@'

heh, i just noticed the moving statues. lol they startled me.
i need to stop reading the subs and pay more attention to the details.
May 28, 2009 7:30 AM

May 2008
enkil said:
oh so many questions. and now it has turned around and smacked me with even more. •_@'

I agree with you on the statues. I thought to myself, that one moved her head! Anyway, do you remember the opening screen shot of episode 1? There are a few lines in Italian from a poem by Michaelangelo. Maybe the creators of the anime wanted to reference or pay homage to Michaelangelo by also including the statues on the pediments of the tombs of the Medici family in the Medici chapel in Florence. Those statues you see were from that tomb.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
May 28, 2009 10:17 AM

Dec 2008
Leibstandarte said:
enkil said:

I agree with you on the statues. I thought to myself, that one moved her head! Anyway, do you remember the opening screen shot of episode 1? There are a few lines in Italian from a poem by Michaelangelo. Maybe the creators of the anime wanted to reference or pay homage to Michaelangelo by also including the statues on the pediments of the tombs of the Medici family in the Medici chapel in Florence. Those statues you see were from that tomb.

hmmm... i wondered what those lines at the beginning actualy meant. and why they didn't translate it in the subtitles.
heh, now that i look back on it, the connection makes sense.
I think the poem also has something to do with the main story line. but since i don't know what it says, I'm gonna have to find a way to translate it. ;)
May 29, 2009 3:18 AM

May 2008
enkil said:
hmmm... i wondered what those lines at the beginning actualy meant. and why they didn't translate it in the subtitles.
heh, now that i look back on it, the connection makes sense.
I think the poem also has something to do with the main story line. but since i don't know what it says, I'm gonna have to find a way to translate it. ;)

I hope this would help expedite your translation: =)

Caro m' è 'l sonno, e più l'esser di sasso,Mentre che 'l danno e la vergogna dura:Non veder, non sentir, m' è gran ventura;Però non mi destar, deh! parla basso

Welcome is sleep, more welcome the sleep of stone Whilst crime and shame continue in the land; My happy fortune, not to see or hear; Waken me not - in mercy, whisper low.

Source: Wikiquote (Michelangelo Buonarroti)
May 29, 2009 11:52 AM

Dec 2008
Leibstandarte said:

I hope this would help expedite your translation: =)

Caro m' è 'l sonno, e più l'esser di sasso,Mentre che 'l danno e la vergogna dura:Non veder, non sentir, m' è gran ventura;Però non mi destar, deh! parla basso

Welcome is sleep, more welcome the sleep of stone Whilst crime and shame continue in the land; My happy fortune, not to see or hear; Waken me not - in mercy, whisper low.

Source: Wikiquote (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

heh, i had a feeling the translation went along those lines. did recognize the veder, sentir, non and mi. common words eh?

thx for the translation. it might actually help understand the deeper meaning of the story.

and now for its actual connection to the plot.
its probably too early in the anime for me to make a well based guess.
so im just gonna keep on watching and see what comes out of it.
Jun 8, 2009 4:12 AM

Aug 2008
What a series so far! It's enthralling to watch. I really want to find out the connection between Vincent and Ergo.

Vince~~ :3
Jun 8, 2009 8:15 AM

May 2008
Kirky said:
What a series so far! It's enthralling to watch. I really want to find out the connection between Vincent and Ergo.

You are gonna love this anime, its one of my all time favorites. Just a word of advice, have some patience!
Jun 10, 2009 4:53 PM

Aug 2008
Leibstandarte said:
Kirky said:

You are gonna love this anime, its one of my all time favorites. Just a word of advice, have some patience!

Haha. That's awesome dude. I've got lots of patience. :)
Jul 24, 2009 4:33 PM

Nov 2008
I am digging this show so far. I don't find it as confusing as other people seem to though.

You have the delicate society that survives in an unlivable world by a government that strictly controls order and information, and encourages people to throw their crap away so they aren't taking up much room.

The autorievs (or however you spell it) live harmoniously with the humans, even having their own superficial personalities and AI, but they are still under the thumb of humans. When they get the "Cogito virus," the robots are really becoming enlightened, and that has something to do with why they drop to their knees and pray. I'm sure we'll learn more about what it means for an autoriev to awaken as the show goes along.

So far, we seem to have two "proxies," one of which is Vincent and the other one is not really identified yet. They seem dangerous, but the bureaus desperately want to keep them alive and a secret for some reason. That's another mystery I'm sure will be laid for us.

So far, the most confusing scenes are probably the ones in the room with R-il's grandfather. I don't know who's talking half the time, and what those guys are thinking.

Vincent and Pino seem too important to die. I really doubt either is going away. Vincent himself seems completely obvious to his identity as a proxy, so there's different room for him to have his own journey of discovery.

As for Raul, I don't know what to think about him yet. He seems like one of those ideologists who will do a lot of terrible scummy things to achieve what he thinks is the greater good.
Aug 30, 2009 1:37 PM
Jul 2009
kie_ said:
confusing.....

I agree.
Nov 14, 2009 1:36 AM

Mar 2009
Pretty good episode. Vincent's green eyes was so cool ^^ LoL.
Mar 25, 2010 9:28 PM

Dec 2009
Not sure if anyone above said this but Im thinking Vincent is one of the proxy. The companion girl is cute-ish. I always end my anime day with episodes with a omg what's next feel at the end, lol.
Such junk...
May 1, 2010 2:16 PM

Jul 2009
The plot thickens and I'm guessing there's more to Vincent than meets the eye. I wonder what will happen to Re-l because of this?
May 14, 2010 7:26 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, I fell in love with Vince's eyes. Seriously, I hope he keeps them open all the time in the episodes to come.
I am 100% sure that he's not dead yet, as he seems to be more important to the plot than Re-l herself. I mean come on, to me it looked like he's the Proxy that saved Re-l in her bathroom back in ep 1. Whether he's aware of this is a completely different thing.

I only hope that Iggy stays 'alive', I kind of feel sorry for him (the whole memory loss thing, being controlled etc.) I know he's a machine, but I still like him.

Also, isn't one of the statues in Re-l's grandpa's hideout voiced by Olivier Mira Armstrong from FMA:B? xD
I'm still kind of unsure what to think of the statues' nature and role...they seem to be something like advisers? Haha, I have a wacky idea: they're the spirits of (or rather AI's based on) previous rulers of Romdeau, trapped into stone to help future generations. That'd be fun.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 1, 2010 2:15 PM

Jan 2010
wow, i am more confused now and whatafuckinhell was that with Pino's outfit? nonsense. And why she was there? D:
i'm curious.
Jul 7, 2010 10:47 AM

May 2010
unclesnapple said:
I am digging this show so far. I don't find it as confusing as other people seem to though.

You have the delicate society that survives in an unlivable world by a government that strictly controls order and information, and encourages people to throw their crap away so they aren't taking up much room.

The autorievs (or however you spell it) live harmoniously with the humans, even having their own superficial personalities and AI, but they are still under the thumb of humans. When they get the "Cogito virus," the robots are really becoming enlightened, and that has something to do with why they drop to their knees and pray. I'm sure we'll learn more about what it means for an autoriev to awaken as the show goes along.

So far, we seem to have two "proxies," one of which is Vincent and the other one is not really identified yet. They seem dangerous, but the bureaus desperately want to keep them alive and a secret for some reason. That's another mystery I'm sure will be laid for us.

So far, the most confusing scenes are probably the ones in the room with R-il's grandfather. I don't know who's talking half the time, and what those guys are thinking.

Vincent and Pino seem too important to die. I really doubt either is going away. Vincent himself seems completely obvious to his identity as a proxy, so there's different room for him to have his own journey of discovery.

As for Raul, I don't know what to think about him yet. He seems like one of those ideologists who will do a lot of terrible scummy things to achieve what he thinks is the greater good.

Otherwise an excellent analysis, but I'd like to add one thing: The "Pino" was not the Pino from earlier episodes. She didn't recognize the name Pino, and later asked "Is it okay for Pino to be me?". So I guess she's just an Identical autoreiv model.
Aug 12, 2010 12:48 PM

Dec 2008
Liam O'Brien as Vincent Law is awesome!!
Pino is too cute!
Aug 28, 2010 5:26 PM
Aug 2007
Pino, in this episode, was the cutest little thing I've ever seen. Vincent looks absolutely badass when he opens his eyes and gives that demeaning look.

Good series so far.
Sep 24, 2010 6:22 PM

Sep 2010
Raitei said:
Pino, in this episode, was the cutest little thing I've ever seen. Vincent looks absolutely badass when he opens his eyes and gives that demeaning look.

Good series so far.

Agreed.

Oct 31, 2010 12:46 AM

Mar 2009
Yea, I dont believe that Vincent or Pino is dead.
and if Vincent IS the proxy, lol I want to see him transform. <.<

Nov 6, 2010 8:07 AM
Jun 2008
Those talking statues were creepy ;o; and why was Pino in a fox suit O_o?? There has to be some consequence coming up for Lil/Re-L/Real; she's investigating stuff she really shouldn't.
Feb 6, 2011 4:49 AM

Apr 2009
Pino was cute in that suit, I think it was a pajama suit or something.

Humor me a bit but I was wondering how Vincent can see when his eyes are closed most of the time, his eyes is shut even in the photo file! I've only seen it opened twice, near the ending of episode 2 where he was finally facing the Proxy and also near the end of this episode.

"IF" Vincent is a Proxy, he was probably the second one Re-l encountered on episode 1 and the first one in the Re-l's bathroom. The first one that Re-l encountered was at the abandoned Immigration Bureau Facility, it had a neck collar and it is the one that escaped the lab, it was also the one chasing Vincent on the second episode.

Hmmm more mysteries... moving to the next episode.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 22, 2011 6:16 AM

Jan 2011
An interesting series so far. We have futuristic a lil bit anarchistic society, those strange proxy things going on and of course goverment who wants to sweep everything under the carpet.
Vey very interesting. I'll just keep watching and see what will happen.

Mar 5, 2011 4:38 AM

Oct 2009
Pinoguin so cute lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2011 1:40 PM

Jun 2009
Now Re-I just went straight ahead and hit the man hard on the face. What's her problem? To make matter worse for Vincent, that little Pino girl open that gate and say "outside" (shrugs) What was she thinking? Can she even think or is she just a dumb robot?
Apr 21, 2011 2:42 PM
Jan 2010
First Ep. with the Intro. pretty and cool Intro.
Aug 3, 2011 11:40 AM

Feb 2009
I have a lot of questions as well, but I like the pace of the show and the way the mystery plays out.
Aug 27, 2012 9:52 AM

May 2012
Interesting episode, there was a OP I didn't liked it that much but well it's something, but yea now it's the hunt to that monster!
Oct 4, 2012 11:34 AM

May 2010
Another interesting episode. It seems to leave questions just like puzzle pieces that remains to be unsolved. Very mind-stimulating. And the OP visuals are catchy, ED theme is growing on me.
Oct 7, 2012 12:09 PM
Oct 2012
Leibstandarte said:
Who killed Vincent's AutoReiv? Did the Citizen Security Bureau do it to frame him?

Also, just a little nitpick, how come when Pino opened the gate and a vacuum ensued how come Vincent and Re-l (protected by Iggy) appeared to be sucked out and Pino was just there near the control unmoved (except for the fluttering cat/bunny suit ears)?

Yup, I too wont assume that Vincent will die. He's just too important, those green yes meant something! Remember when the Proxy confronted him when trapped behind the steel door? We never got to know what happened but that was the first time he flashed his green eyes.

That's because Pino is an AutoReiv, a.k.a. a robot. She is extremely stronger than she looks like (she carried the whole bag full of ammo without problem for half the episode).
Jan 18, 2013 10:00 PM

Dec 2012
That Pino girls know something. She is leading Vincent to escape without even been there once
Feb 2, 2013 3:27 AM

Jan 2012
Who the hell was that little girl? And what happened to Vincent? This is getting confusing. Some explanations please.

Feb 4, 2013 11:57 AM

Jan 2013
Awesome episode:D
That vincent dude is the other proxy I´m guessing
Mar 9, 2013 1:03 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wait, is that the same Pino from last episode? O_O she looks awfully tiny. Well it probably is her, but...why is she wearing that fox suit? Aside from my confusions, she's adorable! I love how she helps out Vincent. Poor Vincent though, he just wanted to become a citizen but he couldn't. I wonder what was that dream he had at the beginning? I'm also very curious about the Ergo Proxy world. What is the "outside" and where is Vincent and other immigrants coming from?
Mar 11, 2013 6:33 PM

Mar 2013
Leibstandarte said:

I imagine autorievs are fairly heavy? Remember the scene in which Iggy runs and sits down on the chair at Re-l's new apartment, you hear a pretty loud creak, and the chair sags a bit. Also, so far Iggy is my favorite character.
TheacuratorMar 11, 2013 7:21 PM
Apr 29, 2013 9:59 AM

Dec 2012
It seems that Vicent failed the mission of becoming a fellow citizen, but I think he isn't dead yet.
Well, I am not a fan of Sci-Fi at all, but how is it possible not to like the mystery and psychological aspects present in this series ? xD
May 21, 2013 9:18 PM

Jan 2013
These episodes are about 3 minutes too long.
May 29, 2013 3:13 AM

Nov 2010
ownosourus said:
Who the hell was that little girl? And what happened to Vincent? This is getting confusing. Some explanations please.

No one knows what is going on because its only the 3rd episode! Pay attention and figure the show out for yourself.
Jun 9, 2013 4:44 PM

Dec 2008
When Vincent Law finally really opened his eyes for the first time, I fell in love.
Pino is SO adorable!

Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 25, 2013 4:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Vincent and Pino are now outside the wall. I'm guessing it's a kind of Judge Dredd world where all civilization is inside domed cities.

The "Elders" who surround Real's grandfather remind me a lot of Seele in NGE.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 3, 2013 11:56 AM

Nov 2009
Hrmmmm . . . For some reason I was under the assumption that Re-l would follow Vincent since she wants answers more than anything else, I guess it's a good thing she prefers her life over answers. But this makes me wonder, what is the point of breaking out that way? I mean there are other cities obviously so couldn't he just stow-away on a ship or however they get from one city to another . . . Guess security is extremely tight when trying to travel the legit way.
Nov 8, 2013 2:40 AM

Oct 2013
dude vincent defs gonna turn into like a flying monster or some shit and like fucking come back and kill everyone.

and omg the futuristic city is floating in the sky. Like a different version of bioshock infinite
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 16, 2013 4:31 PM
Jul 2012
Good episode.

Finally the opening is here and I loved it! That's the only thing that makes me wanting to watch the show when I first heard it.

Hmm Vincent. At first I thought he will be another gin(bleach)/some name character wannabe from durarara, but I was wrong that he finally opens his eyes. Meh for him since I'm neutral to him.

Himio so far is quite good especially her cat costume which she looks cute.

4/5
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xel - Jun 7, 2008

100 by llamav »»
Mar 7, 4:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.