Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2010 2:10 PM

Feb 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Uncle Gull is a great characters, I loved it how he maniacally laughed while he was covered in dust from the explosions in the cave. And he played a big part in sinking the gunboat too.
I wonder what Monsley & co will do now that their boat is sunk. I guess Dyce's Barracuda will be the new focus of the industrians as it's the only remaining way to leave the island.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 26, 2010 2:48 PM

Feb 2009
Beautiful episode! I agree uncle Gull is a very interesting character, and the way the boat sank, kickass!
Jul 26, 2011 10:32 AM
Jul 2010
"Lana, I will let this ship sink. Can you wait here until I come? This ship might sink to the bottom of the ocean, but I promise I'll save you. Can you wait?" - niceguy Conan

That last scene, the one that begins as Lana's room fills with water, was so good I rewatched it twice already. Actually this was a really awesome episode period. Conan's bravado when he threw the spear, the flashes of fear, courage, and excitement across his face before he boarded the ship… he's become a uniquely heroic figure. A lot of protagonists are brave and strong, but little of them have as many well-balanced aspects to their personality and almost none are portrayed in such a subtle way. I think he might be Miyazaki's best written character.

For what its worth, Monsley isn't a very good imperialist. The key to assimilation is muting the population's will to rebel. Rather than saying Industria rules them, like she did when she installed the traitor Orlo, it's better to leave their local government intact with a leader they trust. And rather than promising unwanted imports, it's better to demonstrate the objective advantages advanced technology brings, like improved medicine and production techniques.
Aug 30, 2015 1:51 PM

Oct 2012
Wow Conan is just an amazing hero. Lana will make a good housewife.

Feb 2, 2016 10:40 AM

Nov 2011
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

CONAN'S GOT NO CHILL ON MANLINESS

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck Lana and Conan are the PERFECT COUPLE
Keeping calm while waiting for Conan was GODDAMN ROMANTIC AS FUCK

JESUS
Mar 14, 2017 2:56 PM
Aug 2014
That was some explosion to blow up the ship and here I was thinking it would only be big enough to blow a small hole in the hull.
Nov 26, 2017 3:09 PM

Jun 2014
Great episode. With the help of Uncle Gull, the Gunboat was successfully destroyed, and Conan saved Lana just in the nick of time.

But what will happen to the villagers now? Will Monsley use them as a bargaining chip for Conan to surrender?

Apr 8, 2018 9:19 AM

Nov 2016
Throwing the spear and sinking the ship, Conan was so savage this episode.

The ConanxLana moments are way too good in this show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 7, 2018 3:26 AM

Jul 2008
Well that takes care of the biggest problem. Now for Orlo...
Jun 15, 2019 7:38 AM

Jul 2008
"We don't want conflict" yet plans to appoint Orlo as leader...

Can't wait for these jerks to get an ass kicking. I won't be satisfied if she just switches sides without getting hurt a bit.
Jun 16, 2023 8:16 PM

Jun 2022
Conan's abilities are bordering on superpowers at this point, but eh, he and Lana were pretty adorable together at the end of the episode. Reminds me a lot of Aang & Katara for some reason.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - Aug 6, 2010

12 by SlavaOlkhov »»
May 28, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 1 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 30, 2010

18 by SlavaOlkhov »»
May 22, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 26 Discussion

storm-12 - Aug 14, 2010

38 by Cosplay_Joe »»
May 12, 8:01 PM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 21 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 14, 2010

14 by Cosplay_Joe »»
May 9, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 19 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 9, 2010

14 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 4, 12:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.