Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2010 9:43 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So nostalgic... I remember watching this so many years ago, incredible how the story still looks fresh and interesting.

I don't remember the final, maybe I never even finished it, so I'll go through it now... internet is indeed a fantastic tool :D
Sep 30, 2010 5:38 PM

Feb 2010
First episode was quite interesting, also I just love older art more and more the more I watch of it. Just looks more natural :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 9, 2011 8:30 PM
Jul 2010
omg Conan is the most endearing thing I've ever seen. Where was this show during my childhood?!

The animation has old coloring, but the quality is still really high. They poured work into all the right places: Conan's trips and toe stubs, Lana's throat as she swallows water, and the little changes in expression and body position everyone makes when they talk. Compare that to a lot of modern shows, where characters routinely stand still, moving only their tiny mouths for minutes on end.

Also I wonder if nuclear fallout cause a genetic mutation in the post-war generations. Because Conan is really strong, like a kid Godzilla or something.
Dec 22, 2011 8:29 PM

Jun 2009
Good stuff, I agree with the comments everyone else makes. Quite a bit of attention to detail.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 17, 2013 9:32 AM

Jul 2011
Good stuff. I love old shows like these; they have spunk!

And so long as the animations moves, with no stillframes, I have no problem with it. This reminds me of Totoro and Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. Totoro had spunk too, with the kids running around (I LOVE how they run. It's so full of life!!).

This might turn out to be one of my favorites. I really need to watch more 70s and 80s anime. Anime today are mostly crap.
Dec 1, 2013 10:26 AM

Oct 2008
War is evil? The bad guys' are named Indurstria? Preachy as hell? Excellent animation?
This is definitely Miyazaki and apparently he was the same back in his early days as well.

I really like this first episode though. The animation is excellent and the basic idea is very interesting, so hopefully the preachiness won't be too distracting.
Jun 23, 2015 4:38 AM

Mar 2014
This was a great way to start things off.
I'm already liking the personality of the characters, and the setup for the story.
The character designs and animation style still very much have that Miyazaki trademark, even here in his early work.
Even with the obvious constraints of a TV budget, the art still manages to look quite good, even 37 years later in 2015. There's some very nicely animated shots, and some of the backdrops are very beautiful, I must say.

Also, is it just me, or does the opening song and the whole intro sequence remind anybody else of Mobile Suit Gundam?
I'd be pretty surprised if the singer for the opening isn't the same person who sang "Tobe ! Gandamu"
vigorousjammerJun 23, 2015 4:46 AM
::End of Transmission::

Jan 23, 2016 11:18 AM

Nov 2011
1978!?
DAMN THAT'S SOME GOOD ANIMATION COMPARED TO GUNDAM

One episode in and I already like it better than Nadia. Let's just hope Lana ain't some fuckin vegetarian on her menopause.
Feb 4, 2016 4:37 AM

Mar 2014
Fantastic first episode, it caught me as if it was magic. Incredible I want moree
Feb 18, 2016 8:08 PM

Jul 2013
Holy shit that was a great episode, it has a ghibli feel to it which i adore. I'll definitely continue this!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 21, 2016 7:09 AM

Jan 2012
Just wow, that's what anime should be, not that modern rightwinged crap.
Nov 9, 2017 6:24 PM

Nov 2017
So this is the root Miyazaki? Interesting. The premise establishes a lot of possibilities and the sequences of action were splendid. The character design is simple but original enough, and the animation is top-notch for its time I guess. I'm just not a fan of weird stuff happening (shark fight), but my suspension of disbelief is still safe. 4/5
LumsiNov 9, 2017 11:05 PM
Nov 9, 2017 6:40 PM

Jun 2014
For only being the first episode, this looks really interesting.

Conan really has guts leaping onto that hydroplane like that, but he was raised to live off the land/sea, so I guess he's used to those sorts of things.

Apr 5, 2018 6:13 PM

Nov 2016
First episode didn't disappoint at all.

Art is really nice and the animation not too shabby either.

Ready for a great adventure,premise and setting seem like an ideal stage for it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 24, 2018 5:36 AM

Jul 2008
In the future of 2008, we screwed ourselves....well they might have been off on the year.

Feb 2, 2020 6:52 AM

Sep 2018
Well, since I finished seeing the anime series of "Meitantei Holmes", I really wanted to see another anime directed by Master Miyazaki.
Therefore, a quick start but effective in making people understand the context in which the story takes place, a narrative that plays between the serious and the facetious, I still remember the OST as if it were yesterday. Episode without frills and all of substance. Drawings good, ditto the rest.
Sep 29, 2020 11:39 AM

Jan 2010
It's been a long time since I've seen Mirai Shounen Conan, but I stopped watching it within the first 6 episode because I got distracted. Anyways, I'm not sure what's less believable, Conan killing a shark, or Conan managing to run around carrying a shark like an inflatable toy.
Aug 28, 2022 3:19 PM
Feb 2021
Damn, Damn, damn, damn
May 22, 5:06 AM

Aug 2021
I like how it immediately reminds you of Miyazaki's later works: childlike wonder and naivety contrasts with serious themes including environmentalism, global war, and generational conflict. Gorgeous backgrounds and animation are a given. I also like that both OP and ED are happy and optimistic.
SlavaOlkhovMay 22, 5:17 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 26 Discussion

storm-12 - Aug 14, 2010

39 by SlavaOlkhov »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 25 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 23, 2010

13 by SlavaOlkhov »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 23 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 17, 2010

11 by SlavaOlkhov »»
Yesterday, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 8, 2010

12 by SlavaOlkhov »»
Jun 7, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 16 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 8, 2010

9 by SlavaOlkhov »»
Jun 5, 3:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.