Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 18, 2010 8:51 AM

Feb 2010
Great animation, and idea to make a prelude ... but I'd come to love the shana who's character was developed over the two seasons. And no Yuji = lame development. Oh well, we might get a badass fight in ............. THREE MORE MONTHS. Cliff hanger for 3 months .... I think I will be letting my hand go of that cliff edge before then .... will have to rewatch just before. But its great to see Shana again, been comparing a whole bunch animes seen so far with Shana and have started to miss it.

Do you like or wish for the Otonashi X Tachibana Kanade pairing from Angel Beats? Or just love both characters?
Then Join the club ^^:The Otonashi X Tachibana Kanade Club

Jul 18, 2010 12:57 PM

May 2007
Oh, the drama.

Jul 19, 2010 10:30 PM

Sep 2008
The most epic Shakugan no Shana episode so far!! Its not about action that counts, its the storyline that make it perfect!!
Jul 20, 2010 9:41 AM
Nov 2009
Just for information. The story in this episode is not ova original. It is from light novel Shakugan no Shana 0 which was released between volumn 9 and 10.
Jul 21, 2010 5:31 AM

May 2009
Saygram said:
Oh Yeah Shana wins again.
I liked the episode. As for me, the whole series should be just that. More mature, without that annoying fool, and love triangle.

EXACTLY
I'm sorry to disappoint you guys but this is like I want the third season to be .
They focus on teh plot finally. It reminds me the first episode of shakugan no shana. less romance, more action. Just to see Shana being cold to everybody makes me happy ( no to mention the bad ass suit =D). if They only add epic fights, this series would b really something.
For those who watch this series just because of the luv triangle I feel sorry for you =D

Jul 23, 2010 6:38 AM

Feb 2009
Just watched and liked it. More serious than the 2 others, no action at all but nice story to follow. Kinda sad, too.

Agree with previous comments, we need more episodes likes this and less boring love triangle.
Jul 25, 2010 6:41 PM

Jan 2008
Vince said:
I liked the episode, but to be honest, what I REALLY liked was the BGM at the end when Shana was talking to Oogami Junko's mother.

Does anybody know the name of the piece, or possibly know where I could find out? xD

i would also like to know this
MethyxJul 25, 2010 7:02 PM
Jul 28, 2010 11:50 AM

May 2008
By Jove, how can some of the comments be so extreme? Either saying it's a good episode and different for a change or "worst most boring episode ever".

For me, I am with the first sets of comments. What Shana has been in the beginning before she met Yuuji was what got me into this series. The cold Flame Haze had very little contact with human beings and hence social skills in the first place, and this makes her interaction, especially with Junko's mother towards the end of the episode, seem much more significant. I finally get to see more torches related stuff and the value of human life just like how it was raised in the first volume and first arc of first season, but it somehow dwindled away.

It's also interesting to see how Shana gets all the information from Junko's past life so she can find a way to fill in the gap while investigating using Junko's identity. Even though it was not intentional, she found out what was going on between Junko and her parents, as well as what happened between Junko and her boyfriend Hamaguchi, which I think got her to understand more about being human and possibly how life is being valued among us.

I'd say even though Shana is not as socially developed in preludes like this, I'd prefer a darker and 'mature' side of her than what that loser Yuuji has transformed her over the course of season 1 and (argh) season 2. These love triangles, hesitations, and pacing problems (slice of life, battle, slice of life, battle... The transitions are dead obvious and makes me don't look forward to watch the next episode when it's gonna be a slice of life) etc executed in 2nd season are what I do not want for a Shana series. I'd really welcome more episodes like these to be honest.
Jul 29, 2010 11:54 AM

Jan 2009
This episode was pretty sad... They really brought back all the drama from the first few episodes of season 1 when Yuji was realizing he was a Torch...

And I'm thinking the next episode will continue this storyline since Shana never got anywhere near that New York guy that's supposed to be a Tomogara...

Aug 30, 2010 12:42 AM

Jan 2010
I like this episode. Loved the Drama and I loved how Shana gets all the infirmation about Junko's life
Oct 24, 2010 3:52 PM

Feb 2010
When Shana was eating that cake what went in my mind right away

K-ON!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2011 8:20 AM

Nov 2008
I quite enjoyed this episode, it's far more mature than all the dull romance or "preparation for birthday party" that we had in the previous episodes or even in the second season. It focuses on an interesting aspect of the universe of SnS, which is the transformation of a human into a torch and the consequences that follow, all seen by the only characters that know what will happen.
The plot had some hard time to get devellopped though.
Jan 30, 2011 11:42 AM

Sep 2008
There was no Yuuji... but I quite liked the episode. Nice story, though totally unrelated to the main plot of Shana (or so it seems?). It was interesting watching Shana work alone and watching her figure out what had happened...
Apr 10, 2011 11:27 PM

Sep 2008
Much much MUCH better than the first 2 episodes of the OVA. I prefer the more serious, plot-oriented side of this anime.

Wish their world didn't work the way it did cause it really is just sad with the whole torch system. But that's a part of what makes this show great so I'm not complaining.
Aug 15, 2011 5:08 PM

Nov 2007
meh only Shana is kinda boring, she's less annoying but wow she's horrible at conversation skills. her way of questioning was just bad. feel bad for Junko and her family really.
Oct 11, 2011 5:42 PM

Jan 2011
I like how the OVA returns back to the serious atmosphere of the concept of existence in the anime. Found it really depressing how Shana took the last shred of Junko's existence without even flinching and her loved ones don't even notice.
Jun 6, 2012 2:11 AM

Jul 2007
Falads said:
I like how the OVA returns back to the serious atmosphere of the concept of existence in the anime. Found it really depressing how Shana took the last shred of Junko's existence without even flinching and her loved ones don't even notice.

I agree, i found this episode rather depressing, i hate the fact how shana can always just destroy torches with out even showing any emotion like its nothing. IN any case this episode definitively has more story then the previous episodes. The epilogue was just spooky lol. Now i am interested in who this tomagara or if this is actually related to the central story at all, leading into season 3.

One more episode to go.

Nov 7, 2012 7:10 PM

Jun 2011
Seriously man this episode bored the hell outta me, I got used to Shana being a tsundere instead of some cold heartless flame haze, I like her better as a tsundere anyway, mainly because she shows much more emotion.

We see:
1) A revisit to the cold heartless Shana
2) A clear view of what actually happens to the person's life after they've been killed

The episode was pretty depressing overall and the fact that the person will be forgotten in the end is just depressing.
Feb 9, 2013 1:15 PM

Jun 2012
pretty boring.
Sep 29, 2013 7:44 PM

May 2007
Been waiting for another torch story since episode 1 of season 1.

I was not disappointed, sad as heck concept still, and one I am disappointed has not been more looked into.
My anime list
Dec 23, 2013 9:30 PM

Mar 2012
Really liked this episode. The story is pretty sad with the lady wanting to make up with her daughter who she doesn't know is already dead. Plus the torch was just on her way home to forgive her mom when she was wiped from existence.

Great to see what Shana was doing before Yuji messed her life up.

ninja88880Dec 23, 2013 9:34 PM
Feb 8, 2014 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
^ Hmm... I feel the same. The story is quite sad. And I don't know what others think but for me it looks like Shana is the bad girl from stealing the torche's last few days..
Apr 4, 2014 11:06 AM

Aug 2013
Mmm, it's an interresting two episodes arc.

Shana was so formal before meeting Yuuji :P

I don't knwo why, but whenever we get a story close to a torch, it's always so fucking sad. To think that the mom already lost a son and will totally forget about her own daughter existence... This is worse than death.

That new Tomogara is mysterious. How could that model could disappear and randomly reappear as a torch? How could he have been a torch for 10 years? Is he related to the Tomogara?
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 6, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2013
NO YUJI. What a shame!
Oct 10, 2014 7:44 AM

Jul 2012
shana is such a heartless bitch...she sees flames as things and had no regards for others well being ....................I mean come on if someone else is in trouble she just brushes it off like its no concern of hers......I mean look at season 1 where she wants yuji to for get about the other girl who likes him.

sorry but I really don't like shana at all
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Nov 5, 2015 10:21 PM

Apr 2009
Sad OVA episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2016 2:51 PM

Aug 2014
No Yuji, huh? Quite weird to not see him around...this Tamagora seems interesting atleast.
Nov 15, 2018 4:36 PM

Oct 2012
Man, Shana was really brutal before she met everyone, right? Destroying the girld in the beginning ruthlessly...
It only makes one think that Flame Hazes are really no different from Tomogara in the end, they are also using life energy, influencing people's lives during the process.

And this girl had pretty strong aura still, would live probably long time before vanishing. Like I say, they are no different, only their goals differs.

Pretty interesting insight on how Flame Hazes eats the existence of someone else and how they are able to use and search through their memories. But it makes me question the fact why Shana wasn't able to tell what love was in the main series when she certainly eaten the feeling of the girl who was in love with that boy (probably her brother-lookalike who also gave her those stones).
Jun 4, 2019 7:26 PM

Jan 2013
at first glance i thought the girl was Yoshida and she became a torch lol
Aug 10, 2019 2:36 PM

Nov 2017
Awww, this was a sad and sweet episode. The ending warmed a fella's heart, I'm not gonna front lol
Jan 14, 2020 4:12 AM

Aug 2017
I don't care about lame Junko. I like Shana interrogating everyone with no regard for their frowning faces. Why are the teenage girls' parents like 65 year old retirees? They look like grandparents.
Nov 5, 2020 11:32 AM

Jun 2017
It is clear how different Shana was in the past. She considered all humans to be a part of her job and nothing more. It changed during the events is season 1. The tomogara is still a mystery.
Feb 15, 2022 6:44 PM

Nov 2010
I feel bad for those parents, especially that mom.

Shana was so ruthlessly efficient before she met Yuuji. No wonder Wilhelmina wants this version of Shana back so much.
Sep 7, 2022 8:22 AM
Apr 2018
Wait, what show am I watching? Where was this sheer quality in the previous 50 episodes?

Well, it's all but confirmed for me now – Shana suddenly becomes a good character when Yuuji is not around.
Nov 29, 2022 3:26 PM

Oct 2013
Having a look back at how Shana was before coming to Misaki City and meeting Yuji was a great idea. It also shows how Flame Hazes perform their missions and a second look at how they infiltrate a Torch's existence. Atmosphere was really good, to fit with Shana's darker personality
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana S Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

game8910 - Sep 28, 2010

154 by burntlettuce »»
Feb 24, 2023 5:00 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana S Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

chocolaetmaelk - Feb 9, 2010

162 by GoldenPincers »»
Nov 29, 2022 3:12 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana S Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

game8910 - Oct 22, 2009

194 by GoldenPincers »»
Nov 29, 2022 3:04 PM

» 4th Episode Questions!

hawky2009 - Sep 21, 2010

9 by Vanon »»
Oct 1, 2010 1:27 PM

» So when episode 3 and 4 are suposed to be out?

Alycen - Apr 6, 2010

12 by Lightyear8684 »»
Sep 15, 2010 6:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.