Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 2, 2010 4:59 PM

Dec 2009
This is truly a great show, but the last episodes lacked something. What it was, I do not know. But whatever it was, it was the thing that made the rest of the show a masterpiece. And without that thing, the show become worse. So in the end, I do not know if I should rate it 7/10 or 8/10. I probably sound weird. But something lacked, I just know it.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 2, 2010 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
perfect ending too an awesome show
Nov 20, 2010 7:35 PM

Jul 2008
Great ending. I am glad everything worked out for Reki.
Nov 25, 2010 10:53 AM

Dec 2009
Wow, I am at a loss for words.

It's been a little while since I've seen an anime that was so story/character oriented. And I absolutely love how open ended it was:
I believe the town was an area between life and death. The angels are lost souls that aren't ready to accept their next destination
Rakka - Seemed to me that she was a girl who committed suicide by jumping off of a building or something. The crow in her dream I believe was her mother that had probably died before Rakka. Could have been a leading factor in why Rakka had committed suicide in the first place.
Reki - She probably grew up with parents who didn't want here or something like that which lead to her suicide of jumping in front of a train and born as an angel with sin.
As I've grown to learn, suicide is the most selfish thing a person can ever do so of course, these haibane with sin must learn how to forgive themselves.

All in all, it was one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen. Glad a /c/omrade was able to show me this.
Dec 13, 2010 7:44 PM
Apr 2010
Miertje86 said:
RazorBeamz said:
Anyone else get the feeling that the Haibane are people who committed suicide?

Yeah, that's my theory too. I think the dream they have refers to how they died (Rakka probably died because she jumped off a building).

So maybe they become Haibane to find peace and then they can go to heaven or something?

I think the Haibane's with dark spots on their wings are the ones who commit suicide. That's why it is so hard for them to ever go beyond the wall. The other Haibane have just died and need to wait to go on
Feb 13, 2011 5:13 PM

Jun 2009
Lovely series. It’s a shame it had to end. I adore the symbolism it used and showed us a different way to see life; the reasons to move on, the solitude, the selfishness of one who doesn’t want to ask for help, in fear of being ‘weak’…

Even if everything isn’t explained, that’s exactly the source of its charm. It’s it better when a show leaves you wonder for a long time, trying to figure out its real meaning? Doesn’t it make it more profound and thought-provoking? I, for one, felt it to be great the way it is. Although, maybe, deep down I would’ve wanted a little more tragic ending.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Feb 15, 2011 8:58 PM

May 2009
8/10. I'm sure something lacked but can't figure out what. And I find the entire series kind of creepy. The ending song gave me creeps all the time.
Feb 21, 2011 3:59 AM

Oct 2008
No wonder this is a high rated show. It's one of a kind anime. I loved it. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 10, 2011 1:15 AM

Aug 2010
This was something else. I'm at a loss of words. I'm just giving the series a 10/10 and that should reveal how I feel about the characters, the setting, the mood, the music and everything about the anime. Definitely going to rewatch someday.
Mar 25, 2011 3:04 AM

Dec 2010
An odd show for show, while decent some stuff that's already mentioned is weird too such as the Haibanes wearing used clothes and such. Then again someone thought of purgatory so I guess the anime does make some sense. But then AGAIN, I also didn't like how they had to mixed with the humans.

The mystery outside the walls/togas aren't explain much but I believe the show could do better without even having these two mystery.

The ending was alright. I really think they should make it clear that Reki had committed suicide or something though, that would have made me definitely sympathize with her. Reki reminded me of someone also from anime but can't really remember at the moment.

Oh well, good concept, almost great execution. 8.5/10...really wish I could give decimals, I'm gonna round it down as a 9 is too high on my scale. Not a bad show overall.
Mar 27, 2011 2:25 PM

Apr 2009
It was a very odd ride, it wasn't too short, but not too long either. You say that the very point of this series could be considered as the relations between the characters and the outstanding music. While both of these statements are true, I'd say that what's even more important is the UNIQUE, and impossible to describe with words, atmosphere. The mystery factor (what exactly is the town, what are renmei, why such a place exists, and so on and so forth) adds a lot to the feeling, but what strikes the most is how you literally feel this anime. It's so vivid, it's almost possible to touch it.
Until now, I haven't watched an anime that would awaken such emotions in me - it shouldn't be even rated, as it's simply something on a whole different level. If I cannot express my feelings about this show in words, how am I supposed to do so by rating it... I'm giving it a 10, but it's not appropriate for this series. It shouldn't be lower, nor should it be higher, it's just... out of the scale. Sorry for not making any sense, but I just can't grasp what exactly I feel right now...

Apr 3, 2011 8:30 AM

Feb 2010
Just finished this. C/P my post.
live2win said:

Haibane Renmei has flaws ? I was so mesmerized with the characters and settings I didn't realize any. Charming, very charming. The osts and opening stole my heart, seriously, they are like beautiful accessories accompanying a breathtaking goddess. It has a brilliant emotional ending and the series is a good take on existentialism. I have difficulty allocating a score to it, so for now, it will be a solid 9. Give a temporary favorite character spot to Reki ;)
May 11, 2011 2:06 AM

Oct 2009
Simply beautiful. The ending was very satisfying. Reki finally could pass on. The ending scene was so cute, they're gonna have twin Haibane! lol

Before I started this, I was expecting one of those pretentious and lolDEEP shows that would be super boring, but it totally surprised me and I ended up watching all of the episodes in one go. Setting was magnificent, perfect OST and memorable characters. I can't believe I let myself go without watching this show for so long.
May 20, 2011 8:09 AM
Jan 2010
Kotori said:
cheap ending, this episode was far from the best, and they didn't explain anything.

8/10

No, you just haven't been following the series and take everything at face value.
May 27, 2011 2:08 PM

Dec 2010
My God. That episode...was hands down one of the best ending episodes of an anime I've ever seen. Reki's cry for help after her previous revelations was a perfect moment, and one to look forward to upon the inevitable rewatch :-D

After a real emotional journey through this anime, I'ma give it a 9/10
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Jun 8, 2011 7:17 PM

Apr 2011
The Angel Beats! of the past. Heck this is what Angel Beats! should've been. A 9/10.
Jun 9, 2011 10:13 AM

Nov 2007
I honestly have so many thoughts and theories about this show that I can't put them all into words right now. And that's really the mark of a great series. Part of me wishes that some of my questions could be answered, but this way is best. Wish we could have a second season, but that's unlikely and would probably lessen the impact this season had. I loved the way it started off as a light slice-of-life show and slowly grew to something greater. I didn't enjoy the middle episodes (7 & 8) much due to Rakka though, so I can't give this more than a 9/10.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 14, 2011 7:08 AM
Jan 2010
StealMate said:
The Angel Beats! of the past.

What? The difference between this show and Angel Shits is that AB is shit and this is one of the best animes ever.
Jun 30, 2011 12:53 AM

Aug 2009
I think the Haibane are people 'reborn' again and are at an inbetween place of heaven and hell. Which most of you have already said to be a sort of limbo/purgatory. Using religious referrences for this; I believe the New Feathers are just as someone else mentioned- still born or aborted children.
For the origins of the Haibane (that I've repeated already from others) I wholly agree with the idea.
---

My idea to why the Haibane had to receive hand-me-downs and used items was to prevent some sort of earthly tie. You know, like materialism-- that explains why money is never to fall in to their hands- since it can be considered a form of greed or evil. I also think the used items kind of represent the state the Haibane are in, they're at a 'second' chance for redemption.

I think the reason why they're 'reborn' without the the memory of their past lives is to prevent complications for their goal which is to find resolve and forgiveness and join the flight- the other side. Another reason for that is, if you knew of your past life- some people might grieve and stray away from their rebirth- like suggested fail to accomplish their goals.

I think the idea of working is kind of like a way to physically atone for one's sins or misdeeds. Sort of like a community surface and for the sake of representing that second chances can promote change...

The idea that the Wall shouldn't be touched kind of reminds me of the idea of the Fall of Adam and Eve. In a sense, Reki was Eve who was tempted with the idea of what's over the wall- then we have Hyouko who followed Reki. The excommunication of God which in this sense is the punishment that result from disobeying the Toga which can be considered God's messengers.

Sorry for all the religious references- but placed in that way sort of makes sense in terms of symbolism.

Another thing that's been bothering me are the crows. Those birds have a history of being a bad omen or an inevitable sign of death. Was I the only one who thought where ever the birds were it was certain that someone was going to 'go'? In another sense- the birds were kind of the 'grim reapers' and guided the Haibane to their salvation aka The Flight?

I also think that the Toga can be considered 'God's messengers'. They seem to understand the Haibane and now what to go from there. They're the only ones able to come in and out of the wall (heaven to purgatory reference here)- kind of like a guide to the Haibane but not necessarily a 'hand-me-out' guide?

Anyways--- sorry for the crappy and run on sentences- I think that's all I can come up with.
[insert lulz signature here]
Jul 4, 2011 9:16 PM

Dec 2007
Pointless... -_-
Aug 2, 2011 12:06 AM
Jun 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed the series.....very emotional ending.....Good for Rekki, hope she and Rakka meet again.
Aug 17, 2011 5:10 AM

May 2011
not very clear what rakka and the others really are...
but overall this anime is good...
we rarely to see this kind of anime again these days.. -___-

btw i'd love to see how and when rakka's day of flight.... :)
Sep 23, 2011 11:02 AM
Mar 2011
I can't find any plausible theory as to what the Haibane are... That's because most ideas (for example, people who committed suicide) don't explain why so few of them are 'sinborn'. Also, I don't get why do they is everyone OK with the rules and limitations. I'm not necessarily talking about a rebellion, but I would expect people/haibane (at least the new ones) to question a lot more, and more people to try to leave the town...
I have no ideas about Rakka's job either. What exactly was it about? What was in the river? Were the walls actually 'good' or 'bad'? Were the Haibane being abused or the town and the Renmei were really trying to help, but that was the best they could afford?
Nov 13, 2011 2:03 PM
May 2010
I was expecting something better to be honest, I wanted something like Lain or the like, and instead I got a "I am moe moe desu, but I hide it under a avant garde ambientation" and a slice of life with the lamest components ever.

I was almost forced to watch till the end, because I thought there was something meaningful behind it... I think k-on and this show have the same depth.
Nov 27, 2011 2:54 PM
Jan 2010
Hb_ said:
I was expecting something better to be honest, I wanted something like Lain or the like, and instead I got a "I am moe moe desu, but I hide it under a avant garde ambientation" and a slice of life with the lamest components ever.

I was almost forced to watch till the end, because I thought there was something meaningful behind it... I think k-on and this show have the same depth.

i'd say your post and k-on are on the same wavelength in terms of depth, rather
Jan 13, 2012 10:28 PM

Jul 2008
This was a great show. I wish I had finished it sooner now.
Jan 28, 2012 10:02 PM

Nov 2009
Silent_Scream said:
The Angel Beats! of the past.

Well that says it, setting-wise...but haibane renmei is still yet better in regards to its moral value and symbolism, and that was a spanning gap of 8 years(i guess the industry nowadays is really running out of morally creative ideas)...

Actually Jun Maeda, the creator of angel beats(and clannad) himself, was suggested to have been influenced by this surreal but inspiring story.

Overall, alas i have found a hidden gem...after being buried for almost 10 years, why in the world i watched this show only just recently? Pleasing plot progression in a short timeframe, and the soundtrack T__T im strict at scores, and giving 8/10 means this was a good show under the antique shop \m/

Feb 18, 2012 9:11 PM

Nov 2009
Just rewatched this with a buddy of mine.

Absolutely fantastic show, and severely underrated - this is rated lower than Angel Beats for the same reason the new Call of Duties break video game records. That is, people are fucking stupid.
Feb 21, 2012 11:38 PM

Apr 2009
Rakka was alone because she thought nobody wanted her. She needed someone in the form of a bird to tell her she was wanted to break the circle. Reki never asked someone for help because she had learned that the safety of getting support from others betrays you when they disappear. She needed to be driven to a corner until she could trust Rakka's support to break the circle. A bit too shallow and not really thought-provoking, it's just a story about people who act irrationally because of their uncertainities and how people need one another when they get lost.

The scenes between Rakka and Reki were nice, and it was particularly touching how Reki's true nature became someone who supports the weak, the thing she felt she felt she was stolen from unfairly both in her previous life and life as Haibane (Kuramori). Interesting to see how selfish Rakka was in the end, not allowing Reki to have any selfish thoughts. That's much better than seeing her endlessly support others with unexplained cheerfulness.

Being shallow and generic aside, this was pretty great overall. 4/5, 8/10
VictimOfFateFeb 21, 2012 11:56 PM
Mar 19, 2012 4:15 AM
Nov 2011
Such a beautiful conclusion. 7/10, definitely.
Cau-ca-sianMar 19, 2012 4:18 AM
Apr 19, 2012 12:36 PM
Aug 2011
wow, this turned out to be more serious as I thought it would be. I watched it with German dub. First it felt lackluster but overall the actors made a good job. I will still have to rewatch the Japanese with sub.
I think too the town is purgatory...only this is a kind, friendly purgatory :D The people of the town are the actual angels who inhabit it and the Haibanen are dead people who get a chance to finish the personal issues with themselves before they leave forever.
Why are all the Haibanen so jung ? why are there more girls? I think too that maybe Rikki committed suicide but I'm unsure about the others. What about the little kids then? ITs unlikely that so many 5-6 year old kill themselves. The limbo thing does not work out too, because then there would be thousand times more kids there..I don't really know.
Unfortunately I knew a lot of people who committed suicide I wish for a place like that to exist so that they can find peace T_T
May 1, 2012 12:44 AM

Aug 2010
Wow. This show was incredible. I can see how the pacing and subject matter might not be everyone's speed (or might be over a few people's heads, as well) but this is one of the best anime I've ever seen and one of the best ways I've seen an old question of life and death 'answered.'
May 16, 2012 9:10 AM

Jan 2012
we;; that was by far the best episode, by a million miles, although there was a few questions that didn't get answered most were, and I was satisfied with that, also so so glad Reki got her happy ending, the scene with the train was just breathtaking I don't think I breathed for at least a minute xD i personally believe at the end of the series, that maybe it was something to do with suicide, or along those lines, but its kinda like they were 'angels in training' when they found themselves, forgave there sins..... they were accepted into heaven maybe? That's what i got anyway, nonetheless a nice short but sweet series, glad I picked this one up!
Jul 24, 2012 12:11 AM

Jan 2012
It was a snorefest for me.. which makes me sad because 99% of you think it's the best anime ever..

:(
Sep 14, 2012 9:03 PM

Feb 2011
By far the best episode in the series. Great concept and a touching end.
Sep 22, 2012 8:08 AM

Jan 2011
I will give this show all the credit in the world for originality. The story itself was a little lackluster for me unfortunately. I'm glad the way everything turned out and the the story's world concepts are intriguing but meh.

7/10
Oct 4, 2012 2:24 PM

Dec 2010
seems like this place is purgatory.
Oct 7, 2012 11:16 PM
Jul 2018
This is truly an a great unknown series. A great, great last episode. I figured this series would be very open to interpretation, and it was. I definitely was surprised by the last episode, but in a good. The last few episodes completely switched the focus from Rakka to Reki. It was really Reki's story to salvation all along. And it was great to see Rakka going to take over Reki's role at the very end. This was such a great series, and i'm very glad I own, so I force it upon others so they can experience it too. 9/10, truly a great series (would give 10/10, but the pacing was just a little too slow for me at first, and the first few episodes were not at all what I was expecting)

It's much better than Lain, i'll say that much.
removed-userOct 7, 2012 11:21 PM
Oct 30, 2012 4:34 PM
Nov 2010
kadian1364 said:
Every couple of years, I rewatch some favorite anime of mine, and Haibane Renmei is one of those titles I always look forward to seeing again.

Are they angels, or are they human? What do their dreams mean? Is this Heaven? Hell? Purgatory? What are their sins? Where do they go after when they leave? I love these kinds of stories, with hidden meanings, layers of interpretation to unravel, endings whose ultimate significance is up to its audience.

I also love that it never lost sight of its characters and setting, superbly building a world that seems familiar yet mysterious, and features daily interactions and the simple joys of living. Unlike Eva, which sometimes drove its psychoanalytical bent to extremes and near utter incomprehensibility, Haibane Renmei kept the story grounded, personal and relatable.

Years after I first saw it, I come back and still find new things about it to discover. It really is a work of art; you take away from it as much or as little as you put into it.

I love the idea of not knowing exactly what happened. Usually when shows do this they tend to piss me off (Elfen Lied, for one). But this show left you content with everything it presented and did a perfect job of its length.

It was such a simple lesson but it was done in a really beautiful way. I hope I get to see more shows like this in my lifetime. This was something special.
Dec 17, 2012 5:11 PM

Nov 2011
pleasant watch although I did feel a bit bored at times with the early slice of life liking feeling. Still, it was very refreshing.
Dec 20, 2012 6:02 AM

Jul 2011
somehow a dissaappointing end for me , because the main thing that interest me about this series is the mystery surrounding the haibane and barely any question are answered. Especiallly aftter emphasizing those questions on early episodes but not really mentioned on latter episodes.

so 7/10 from me
Jan 7, 2013 1:07 PM
Jan 2013
9/10 for me

The story started to become interesting at episode 7 and the ending is nice. In a way I like the way nothing is revealed about the Haibane so there's room for imagination. I think that they're just people whose life didn't finish properly, who still need some experience before moving on. The sin-bound Haibane are those who killed themselves. Some are reborn as children, some as adults. It depends on how much they need to pass on. Once they reach a certain point they fly to the sky, they die. The thing(s) inside the wall is/are probably the haibane that didn't manage to "fly" before their time was gone,
Jan 7, 2013 3:17 PM

May 2012
And so it ends, it wasn't an all to bad ending but for me it feels unfinished they could have really improved the story with a couple more episodes or so!

As for the series, well it did really started great but the uneven story development and the rather slow pace in story although rather fast pace in each episode made it really unbalanced to watch and god quite boring after a time. Although in general it isn't all to bad they still could have had lots of improvements onto the series and for starters making it a 26 episode anime instead of only 13 as now the story seems so unfinished.

The art was not all to bad but the animations could have been slightly better, sometimes it really bothered me but in general it was not bad at all!

I still had a nice watch though! 6/10
Jan 16, 2013 10:14 PM
Jul 2012
flaxman85 said:
It was a snorefest for me.. which makes me sad because 99% of you think it's the best anime ever..

:(

Sometimes an anime doesn't need constant action, melodrama, and boobs flashing on the screen every 2 seconds to be consider great. The entire tone of the series, the attention to detail in each scene visually, and the heartwarming message is unlike any other anime I have ever seen.

Then again, shows these days are usually always targeted to a specific audience, and a show like haibane renmei, which is basically one of the few shows where the writer can convey all of his feelings into an anime like this, doesn't come too often.

Ultimately it's all about opinion. Although I don't believe in such a thing as the "best anime ever," there's no reason to say you're sad that people liked this show. It's basically telling the people who liked it that their taste is shit because it isn't the same as your taste.
Jan 18, 2013 11:15 AM

Jun 2012
Baconzombie said:
Ultimately it's all about opinion. Although I don't believe in such a thing as the "best anime ever," there's no reason to say you're sad that people liked this show. It's basically telling the people who liked it that their taste is shit because it isn't the same as your taste.

No. The path of prejudice is an endless and unrewarding one, you'd do best to stay off of it. I'm almost 100% certain he's not telling everyone else they have bad taste, but rather, he is saying he's sad because he was unable have the amazing experience everyone else has said they had, and wishes he could see the same things everyone else sees in this anime.

---

Well, that episode was great. I'd have to agree that it is probably the best one in the series. The only problem I really had with it is that Reki changed her disposition very rapidly over a period of only a few minutes. At first she was depressed, resentful, and hostile towards Rekka. Then she suddenly became repentant, desperate, and friendly to Rekka. It seemed like it all happened too fast, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Ordinarily I'd feel like the ending was a cliffhanger, as many questions are still left unanswered, but somehow I actually felt totally satisfied with how it ended.

10/10
LarasoJan 18, 2013 11:40 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jan 20, 2013 12:34 PM

Jan 2013
I've just finished rewatching Haibane Renmei, I loved it the first time, and rewatching it I've ended up loving it even more.

This anime really is a gem, comparable to the likes of Mushishi and Kino's Journey, It's not a show you need to race through, each episode is to be savored. The lack of direct answers to the show does not bring the anime down, instead it's one of the things I liked so much. You know its a good show when you aren't fed all of the information. Being able to think and come up answers with yourself is one of the things which is so rewarding.

Another thing I have to mention is the soundtrack, I have to say that this anime has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, if not the best. It's so memorable and fits the show perfectly, I'll definitely never forget it.

It might not be for everyone, but I really feel this anime is special, I have no doubt that I'll be rewatching this yet again in the future.
Mar 12, 2013 7:52 PM

Jan 2013
8/10
Loved the ending
Mar 17, 2013 6:36 PM

Jul 2012
I want more! :D
Apr 2, 2013 4:19 PM

Sep 2012
Two words: Perfect pacing
Apr 24, 2013 8:24 AM

Jan 2012
Oh god, how much I hate happy endings.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

76 by caffeeoae »»
May 11, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.