Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 7, 2013 5:31 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I'm pretty sure I just cried for ~23 minutes straight. Beautiful ending, though we're not explicitly given any answers about the whole Haibane ordeal, the wall, the Day of Flight, etc. Although I think most of the people's speculations regarding Christian/religious symbolism is more than plausible, I heard that the creator didn't actually intend for it to be that way? Not sure. But I do know that he said he was leaving it up to the audience to interpret the anime.

Reki seriously went through a lot, I cried for her--for her past, her dream, and her internal conflicts...I'm glad she was able to have her Day of Flight. Although the themes of the anime was apparent in the later episodes, it was almost nonexistent in the beginning episodes. As much as I loved the anime, I don't think it's perfect. The first few episodes, although nice and slice-of-life like, they barely contributed to the rest of the story, as it was just Rakka tagging along with the seniors of Old Home. It did well in world building, but it wasn't completely necessary to spend 2-3 (maybe 4?) episodes on it. I also was a annoyed at Rakka most of the time (but that's my personal bias). Aside from those points and maybe a few other, I enjoyed this anime (mostly the later half). It is definitely though-provoking, and it's probably one of those anime that you have to keep thinking a lot about yet may still never truly understand it. Although the beauty of this anime is that nothing is really answered at the end and everything is left to the viewer's interpretation, I kind of wish that ABe Yoshitoshi gave us some hints though :D
May 29, 2013 6:07 AM

Aug 2007
This still remains my favorite anime to this day.
I watched in the first time in 2005, then again in 2009, and another time this past week.
I can't believe how much I relate to it and fall in love with it even more.
It really speaks to people who have particularly gone through certain scenarios.

10/10

Jun 4, 2013 11:41 PM

Jan 2010
I have those times when I finish watching something I couldn't comprehend, but I knew it was something amazingly special. This is one of those times.
Jun 15, 2013 3:04 PM

Jan 2012
I love the last few episodes of this series a lot. At first I didn't like it during the first half, but the show gradually got more interesting with each episode.

I don't really want to know about the walls or the world outside because I don't think that's the point of the the show. The only thing I want to know is what the Haibane actually are. I'm guessing they're people that died without content and they were allowed to have a short second chance or maybe that story that Reki told Rakka was actually true.
Jun 18, 2013 9:12 AM
Sep 2008
Shows like this really gets you thinking.

Abe-sensei really did leave us a lot of unanswered questions and to make our own interpretations. That's really enjoyable in its own right but I can't help to think what was his idea behind this entire show.
Jun 27, 2013 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
I really liked the anime. I also think I should have watched it a loooong time ago. Would've helped me a lot with my struggles. Oh well.
Watching it now, when I am aware of what it tries to tell, certainly I can't be THAT impressed. But that's only me. Doesn't change the fact that I can see through its potential and definitely recommend it to a few lost souls ;)

I'm glad I watched it, only I wish I had watched it sooner, when my wings had black spots, too. :)
Sep 10, 2013 1:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm glad I didn't drop this after what felt like a very slow beginning. A very heartfelt and spiritually uplifting story. I also enjoyed the fact that we are left to do our own interpretations.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 22, 2013 12:45 AM

Aug 2013
Just finished re-watching this. A couple of years have passed but this series still had the same impact on me as when I first watched it: I found myself staring at the ceiling. It left me with a heavy feeling but at the same time I felt like something else was lifted from my shoulders. I guess it means I'm still far off from my Day of Flight, for better or worse.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 9, 2013 7:15 AM

Apr 2012
10 years ago probably a good anime, hence the high rating.
But nowadays? Meh, just meh.
6/10.
Couldn't care less for Reki.
While this anime had an interesting world to offer it almost never goes into detail, only when it's convenient.
Instead it focuses on boring characters with some kind of Slice of Life approach until the last 2-3 eps where suddenly Rekis cliched self-made problem slips into the spotlight. *yawn*
Nov 10, 2013 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
The idea behind the anime is strikingly awesome, it tackles with real life issue in a surreal way that really touch me. But, there are too many things about this world that left unanswered, for instance what is beyond the wall, the toga, what is inside the wall, why do they need the halo, is the wing just a sign to separate them from the other ppl or signify if one is a sin-bound or not, what kind of the "ppl" that live in their world.

The author wants to express his idea through a fantasy kind of way, which is good but he has to handle the setting he made up better. I really appreciate the message implies within this anime, but what really got me going was the journey to look for the answers for those question above, but they are left in the dust. For this matter, it reminds of Angel Beats, but actually Angel Beats did a better job in explaining its setting. However, Angel Beats is not that totally better, but still, I found myself enjoys something with more clarity
Nov 11, 2013 5:42 PM

May 2013
nantuko said:
6/10.
Couldn't care less for Reki.
While this anime had an interesting world to offer it almost never goes into detail, only when it's convenient.
Instead it focuses on boring characters with some kind of Slice of Life approach until the last 2-3 eps where suddenly Rekis cliched self-made problem slips into the spotlight. *yawn*

Hilarious, coming from someone who is a Kyoanus shit eater, has To-Love ru in his favorites, likes Ano Forced Drama Hana and has an avatar of one of the most dull, boring, characters from one of the most boring shows ever made. Stay classy.

This really had a slow start and Rakka annoyed me to the very last episode but it still managed to make me cry, beautiful 9/10.
Nov 13, 2013 1:08 AM

Oct 2010
nantuko said:

Ten years ago this was as good as it is now, don't be absurd.
Dec 14, 2013 6:26 PM

Nov 2012
This was absolutely beautiful.
I could not hold back my tears seeing Reki finally able to take flight.
I knew a while back that Reki needed help since whenever someone offered Reki help she wouldn't accept it.
This, in some sort of way, had me connecting with the characters in so many ways, I just absolutely love the theme of this anime.
RX-782Dec 14, 2013 6:31 PM
Jan 7, 2014 3:58 AM
Sep 2011
wontgetschooled said:
Does anyone else think the city is supposed to be some sort of purgatory?

Yes. I thought the same thing!

I really loved the show.
Jan 10, 2014 3:45 AM

May 2013
xxHxx said:
wontgetschooled said:
Does anyone else think the city is supposed to be some sort of purgatory?

I really loved the show.
Feb 5, 2014 8:21 AM

Nov 2010
This was so divine, the first and 6th episode stood out for me
The walls of Glie reminded me of wall Maria/Rose

Reki's youth sin haunting her was shown very good and the resolve with Rakka standing by was so beautiful

The Haibane seems like Angels waiting for their transit transfer to heaven
Feb 18, 2014 3:10 AM

Apr 2013
Simply Amazing. With this kind of ending, there is room for some sort of speculation.

9/10.
Mar 22, 2014 7:30 PM

Apr 2013
Really gorgeous, an open ending but masterfully ties up the themes of the show.

9/10.
Powerful eyebrows.
Apr 7, 2014 6:40 AM

Mar 2010
Wow that ending
so much feels
Apr 10, 2014 6:40 PM

Nov 2009
Loved this. Unique, nostalgic, emotional. I agree with the theory that it was a purgatory and the girls committed suicide in their previous lives. Glad Reki was finally able to take flight.
Apr 17, 2014 9:00 AM

Sep 2008
Amazing show. I especially liked the pacing and atmosphere.

But I feel like this show could have used a lot more episodes to further develop the other characters.

On one hand there are a lot of unanswered questions, but on the other maybe it's a good thing they were never answered to leave it to viewer interpretation.
May 1, 2014 7:39 AM
Oct 2013
Looks like mysteries are left unexplained.

So......so far the only logical explanation of the show is either that they were walled in a purgatory, or that they themselves were in a purgatorial-like state? (but non Haibanes are just normal humans)

Is there any other theory that makes sense?
May 11, 2014 5:45 AM

Sep 2013
Suffice to say, I enjoyed the series: I'm not entirely sure about my rating at the moment though. As said before, the wall was never really the point of the series, although I'm still curious about the existence of the Haibane... If they at least answered the question as to their purpose, I feel like this series would have had a far better conclusion.

PS: The ED totally reminds me of Humanity has Declined's ED.
May 15, 2014 6:55 PM

Jul 2012
A bit of a weird show. I feel like the wall is where the Haibane go to rest in peace after they have resolved their sins. Rakka heard Kuu while she was working in the walls. It'd make sense that if you try to touch the wall you get punished for it because you're not ready to make resolve, you're still sinned or what have you so you get punished. Although not everyone is sin-bound, it seems like they all have things that need to be resolved.

I never trusted the Toga throughout the series but they did seem to help. Felt like they were going to betray the Haibane so I was a bit surprised that it didn't happen. Who are they? Gods perhaps? True angels? They do provide guidance although very subtle at times.

The thing about the girls dreams being their suicide dreams make sense. Reminds me a bit of the movie Colorful.

The ED was very nice. Love that girls voice although her voice is a bit too cheery for the series. To the person above, she also sings the ED to Jinrui and the OP for Azumanga Daioh so that's probably why it reminds you of Jinrui.
May 18, 2014 4:16 AM
Aug 2011
Funny how I thought it would be a nice way to gather paintings in a room to simulate a moment when I saw Reki's paintings for the first time and it turned out to be what she did.

I couldn't find the so called "deep" plot in the anime.

Exactly opposite to what is said like "watch it, it gets better and deeper", the best episode was the first and it got awfully worse after that. It is not that I didn't like the pace, I am perfectly comfortable with watching slow anime and/or slice of life.

Also, the similarity to Lain in the beginning I have felt kinda cast a shadow to Haibane Renmei overall. 7/10 which is "meh" for me.

AdramelechMay 18, 2014 4:22 AM
May 30, 2014 9:14 PM

Dec 2013
This series ended well. There was a sense of completeness to it, although there're just 13 episodes. It was beautiful, and had something of nostalgic.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 7, 2014 1:59 AM

May 2011
really loved the way they piece things up in the end. Refreshingly, this is one of the best "alternative-reality" show I have come across. As expected, Haibanes leave without saying good bye. 9/10.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jun 30, 2014 9:33 AM

Oct 2011
i wait till the last seconds wondering if they will explain about the wall and town and ect... but shit they didn't !!
but i still love the feels when reki still leaving even though her curse was lifted, it so heartwarming.
Jul 5, 2014 4:10 AM
Jul 2018
I feel that this show seemed confused about it's main purpose. If it wanted to focus more on character relations and Reki's salvation, I think making the story much shorter and more focused would have made everything benefit. The way they directed the story, however, put a focus on the mysteries of the wall and Raka's past more than most else. Because of this, you're kinda taken off guard when the focus does a huge shift to Reki, and the trail you were being led before is never met with a conclusion.

The show was good, but since it focused too much on Raka's past and the wall, I feel unsatisfied by not even being given a few hints or clues to what was really going on there. We don't know what happens when one is blessed, we don't know what the wall is exactly or what is beyond it, and we don't know anything about Raka's past. There was so much downtime in the anime that never really paid off afterwards that could've been used towards working to satisfy in these categories.

A short sequel could still fix some of these loose ends though
Jul 11, 2014 6:46 AM

Aug 2012
Another "perfect" anime to me. And it's probably the anime I can relate the most with.
From the first 30 seconds I felt that it was my kind of anime and I'm glad it never let me down.
I'm grateful for the emotions I experienced watching this.
Jul 23, 2014 7:32 AM
May 2014
5/10
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
Oct 28, 2014 10:58 AM

Jul 2010
9/10. Really touching story.
Nov 21, 2014 8:40 AM

Jun 2013
As much as I disliked the character relationships and the way they acted, I can sorta see some merit in it which would leave the show at about 5/6 out of 10. However, the way they ended this felt cheap and they could have done way more with the premise.

Solid 3/10, was bored out of my mind and spent an eternity waiting for answers that never came.
Dec 27, 2014 6:31 PM

Nov 2014
I just added Haibane Renmei to my top 5 favorite anime list. I had a feeling that it would be a good series after the first episode, but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. It hit me pretty hard in the feels. I nearly cried at the end.
Dec 30, 2014 1:25 PM

Dec 2011
People need to stop complaining about the things without explanation like the wall and what are the Haibanes. The ending of this show was quite good, I really enjoyed. I'm happy about Reki and about the character development of Rakka.
8/10 in my opinion.
Dec 31, 2014 6:30 AM
May 2013
so my take is that this is kind of like angel beats. that place is purgatory and the angels are dead souls coming to terms with themselves before passing on to a new life. And the "humans" are probably just soulless beings created to give place for the angels while they find themselves.
Jan 30, 2015 5:03 PM

Dec 2013
Meh. I like my SoL to bring a smile on my face but this was so dark and kinda dramatic. I liked the first few eps but later it turned meh. I thougt the story would revolve more around the outside world and that we would get to see it. Well, it was pretty deep and the music was good.
Mar 14, 2015 4:37 PM

Apr 2014
that was a good watch. really refreshing

it would be really neat if they made a sequel where another generation of Haibanes go over the wall. like an adventure sort of thing. it would be nice to know more about Haibanes and those weird mask guys and just the world they live in
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2015 4:53 AM

Aug 2014
What a fantastic show, brilliant, this ending reminds me of Evangelion. 9/10
Apr 11, 2015 8:20 PM
Feb 2015
I can't believe how good this show was. I hope to find something as good one day.

Mizusi said:
xxHxx said:

I really loved the show.

Apr 18, 2015 10:41 AM

Mar 2013
I found this series to be a very refreshing nice and calm mystery with a very interesting worldbuilding (the mystery part). Sadly the endling left too much of the mystery open for me and while the focus on Reki was quite nice, it wasnt what i had hoped for at the end. I also liked Rakkas personality more when she was curious about the world and not all focused around Rekis welfare.
Apr 26, 2015 11:40 AM

Mar 2015
Damn, this is just beautiful.
Apr 26, 2015 9:05 PM

Jan 2013
I can't believe that a japanese could do such a beautiful thing. Every anime/manga out there is about attacking religions and gods. It's so refreshing to see at least one anime that treats tradition and spirituality with respect and so well.
Forever_AApr 26, 2015 9:14 PM
Apr 27, 2015 11:56 AM

Nov 2013
I feel like this is what I want all my SoL to be like. An absolute dish of such raw honesty and gorgeous character relations, you serve that on a mysterious beautiful world and I'm sold.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 27, 2015 5:55 PM

Dec 2012
When I first started this, there were so many possibilities running through my mind. Uncovering the truth of the outside world, the conspiracy of the wall, the true nature of the day of flight, the origin of the Haibane. Instead, all I got was a slice of life dealing with characters coming to terms with themselves. And you know what? That's perfectly fine. That's all I want at this point.

This episode's atmosphere was absolutely stunning, particularly when Reki's cocoon dream took form. It gave an urgent sense of despair hopelessness, conveying Reki's feelings of being lost. Ultimately she had spent all of this time seeking salvation, but wouldn't reach out in fear of her true self being rejected. That's something that hits home all too well. Just like the crow, Rakka saved Reki. I was surprised that they immediately went to her day of flight, but it seemed well deserved at that point. I like how they describe Reki as a stepping stone to guide the other Haibane, as it's now Rakka's turn to step forward and do her part to guide the next generation.

Haibane Renmei did a phenomenal job at building up a mystery all the while delivering everything in a straightforward manner. The day of flight, for example, had me guessing at all kinds of wild possibilities and ideas. Instead of being a dreadful plot to destroy the Haibane, it was simply a coming of age rite that is accepted as it is. The communicators and Toga performed their duties as per their customs, never plotting or hiding anything from the Haibane.

Speaking of customs, I really like how Haibane Renmei shaped its own culture and set of customs. It felt like an authentic examination of another culture's way of life and was something that was far from my comfort zone, but could still be respected.

Overall I like how this started out as a lighthearted slice of life and its transition into a gripping mystery leading to Reki and Rakka's redemption.

8/10

Edit:

After putting some more thought into it, I feel as though Haibane Renmei was able to strongly convey three messages to me:

1. The Haibane actually strongly resemble humanity. Similar to them, our origins, why we're here, and where we go are all shrouded in mystery. Arguably there are several beliefs and ideas on those topics, but there is no clear evidence to answer the mystery of how and why this world exists. This leads to many of Rakka's dilemmas being very relatable. Despite not choosing to be born, it is our responsibility to adapt and seek out a means of survival if we choose to live on.

2. The second point that really got me was, once again, how authentic the culture and its customs feel. It is rare to come across one as organic and believable as this one in anime, especially with how it's treated with respect and dignified obedience.

3. Although it's never directly stated, I believe it's implied that the Day of Flight is a release for the Haibane that can only be obtained after they have resolved the issues most personal to them. Whether it's by having a wish fulfilled or facing one's inner demons, a few of the main characters exemplify this idea.

Rakka - being forgiven for whatever she did in her past life by burying the crow. It means she's been cleansed from being sin bound and can move on.
Reki - accepting her true self and trusting Rakka to believe in and support her.
Kuu - talked about how she always wanted a younger sister and was happy that she finally got one with Rakka.
Nemu - Nemu has two conditions that need to be fulfilled. The first was completing that book about the Haibane and god. The second was that she wanted Reki to embark on her Day of Flight first. It wasn't shown in the anime, but it seems subtly implied that she'll be next.

I wish I could make more sense of this, but I'm typing on the border of passing out from sleep deprivation so this is all I can manage.

As a result, I'm going to raise my initial 8/10 to a 9/10. Slice of life at its finest.
ZekkenshinMay 1, 2015 6:33 AM
May 25, 2015 2:07 PM

Feb 2013
Best episode of the series. I figured suicide would be someplace in here, but suicide by train? Ouch!

Overall I thought it was a very pleasant anime. It was neither good nor bad, but it could have been done better (it wasn't emotionally hard-hitting for me, and I would have liked more focus on the weird stuff). 5-6/10 (average to above-average, undecided at the moment)
BurntJellyMay 25, 2015 2:11 PM
Jun 2, 2015 8:22 AM
Oct 2012
overall i did like this show but there were just too many unansered questions and too many mysteries why can no one leave town? why no one can come in to town? and like too many animes we do not even know what happened to the main charters!!!
Jun 10, 2015 7:07 PM

May 2012
anime really is a powerful thing. that ending scene had me in tears
Jul 21, 2015 5:55 PM
Jun 2009
what a great show!
it was really interesting from the very beggining.
9/10
Aug 13, 2015 4:16 PM

Dec 2013
Wow, that was just incredible. I was crying when Reki disappeared... I'm adding this to my favorites. Ugh, I'm just so speechless about this show... 10/10
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

76 by caffeeoae »»
May 11, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.