Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2010 5:26 PM

Jun 2009
Brilliant? Yeah, I think so. Sure, there were a few episodes such as the library episodes where Tenma, Nina, and Johann met that I wasn't a fan of. But, the writings so good, the characters are incredibly human(even Johan in the end), the themes are thought provoking and meaningful, and the ending is probably one of the best I've seen, that I couldn't possibly give this less than a 10.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 12, 2010 8:05 PM
Apr 2010
Fantastic ending to a fantastic series. 10/10

Still sad that they killed Grimmer :(
Nov 24, 2010 1:56 PM

Mar 2010
Ahhh i would have to say i am satisfied but now i want more
everything pretty much made sense

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 24, 2010 3:48 PM

Nov 2009
SEASON TWOOO!!!!!! I can see it!!1!! haha..jk.

I so called that "Johann" was going to escape again. Wow, a 9 from me! Great Anime, well done!
Nov 27, 2010 6:58 PM
Jun 2008
Rasco said:
Ahhh i would have to say i am satisfied but now i want more
everything pretty much made sense

feel the same way bout more could mean less if you get what im saying...

perfect 10/10
Dec 13, 2010 7:03 AM

Apr 2009
Lawli-gagger said:
:(( Grimmer. I didn't want him 2 die. I think if he knew his real name he would able to rest more peacefully. He kicked ass. I hate it when the good characters get killed of but the jackasses and annoying guys stay....Deiter...Eva...

Seriously, they are the best characters of the show. Eva is at least the most realistic and Dieter is adorable.
Mar 27, 2011 1:28 PM

Jan 2009
I don't really know what I think of the anime as a whole. The pacing in this anime was pretty terrible, it wasn't suspenseful till the end and I didn't really like the ending. I understand the meaning behind everything, but I don't feel good about it, felt like a waste of 74 episodes.
Apr 2, 2011 3:49 PM

Aug 2009
Perfect. That ended gracefully and nearly gave me a heart attack at the same time.
May 2, 2011 1:37 AM

Sep 2008
Wishy said:
I can't get why isn't this at least top 2, and how is people giving this less than 10/10.

I wouldve given this a 10/10 if it was at least 10 episodes shorter, because the anime did drag a bit at some points, and while some flashbacks were useful, there were some useless ones as well. Eveything else about Monster was perfect; music, story ( Except bits of melodramatics here and there), animation (simplistic but fitting), dialogues, characters etc. A near perfect series.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 18, 2011 5:10 PM
Dec 2010
I just finished this, I have a question, did the Manga go further or stop at around the same time as the anime? Like would the manga be work reading?
May 18, 2011 5:10 PM
Dec 2010
Anyway, great series. This is probably one of the best things I have ever watched...
May 18, 2011 6:20 PM

Jun 2009
Fasces349 said:
I just finished this, I have a question, did the Manga go further or stop at around the same time as the anime? Like would the manga be work reading?

I've heard that the anime is pretty much panel by panel exactly like the manga, so I wouldn't bother. But, it wouldn't hurt to ask someone who's seen both.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 18, 2011 6:38 PM
Dec 2010
thanks, I'll ask the same question in the Manga section...
May 19, 2011 5:13 PM
Dec 2010
So as to the episode:
I have to admit, one of the best lines I have ever heard in an anime was Johans final line:
"I wonder, was my mother trying to save me that day, or did she confuse me with my sister? Well? Which is it? Which one didn't she need"
Fasces349May 19, 2011 5:18 PM
May 21, 2011 5:07 AM

Oct 2008
That was good ending. I'm glad they ended it like that.

:)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 27, 2011 12:10 PM

May 2009
Heheheheh...the lynch pin ending was great, wow! Needless to say, Johan's a troubled guy you can say he has a monster inside, 50 elephants on his head, thousands of spiders in his ears, snapping turtles living in his bottom quarters, a bake-neko inside his head or whatever you want to characterize his many deep emotional problems he kept bottled up inside. I do, however, believe Johan died at the ending there...even though Tenma told the twins' mother both the twins were all right. I also wonder if the mother was a little schizophrenic herself? She was finally more at peace at the ending, though, which I thought was the single best piece of news, overall. I think the names are important to reveal, but I think the names were supposed to be intangible; therefore, it's a bit harder to speculate what kind of impact that information would've had if we'd have known their names, anyway. The impact probably would've been not so big...
May 28, 2011 7:56 AM

Mar 2008
Aah... Johan scared the living shit out of me when he suddenly stood up. Those eyes. @___@

10/10 without doubt.
Jun 1, 2011 3:39 PM

Apr 2011
An "happy"/twist ending? Are you kidding me?
However is full of suspence since the first episode to the last! >w<

O____O
My mission: Save the world! My weapons: a controller, a bunch of friends and lots of Anime!
Jun 30, 2011 1:47 AM

Nov 2008
Wait, did they ever reveal Johan's only memory??...was that the one with his mother??...also does Johan have two personalities, or was that part a lie like Gillen said??...Johan's creepy, the hospital scene was amazing

I have no clue what to give this show...it constantly left me with questions which I liked, the writing and twist were amazing, but I have so many annoyances with it and Tenma pisses me off...I wish i could give half scores...this show = not nearly as amazing for me as for everybody else or even close...easily a 7...nothing higher
SickeninglySweetJun 30, 2011 11:54 PM
Jul 11, 2011 11:35 PM
Nov 2009
Hi everyone :) I'd really like to watch this series, but first I need to know: did it have a happy ending? "Bittersweet" or "conclusive" don't count :)

Please and thank you.
Jul 18, 2011 2:32 PM

Aug 2010
@ Lilah

I suppose it depens. Monster possesses a huge cast, so some of them have happy endings, while others have "not so happy" endings. Anyway, I highly reccomend watching Monster, one of the most well-crafted animes in existence XD.
GuigasJul 18, 2011 2:35 PM
Aug 20, 2011 1:12 PM

Mar 2010
Well, I asked already in the correct thread, but I guess here's where people gather to talk about whole series so...
Why was Roberto denied to view the Final Scene?

That's some signature, eh?
Aug 27, 2011 10:32 AM

Nov 2010
Amazing anime. Im so glad i stuck with it because at the beginning of this series i was honestly pretty bored but it turned into a masterpiece. And damn that last scene where Johan suddenly awoke and was staring at Tenma gave me the chills. One of the best antagonists ive seen in an anime.

10/10
Oct 19, 2011 1:16 PM

May 2009
Well this has to be one of the most best animes I have ever seen.

9/10
ShoryuukenOct 19, 2011 1:19 PM
Nov 29, 2011 7:15 PM

May 2009
Why did Johan not let Roberto see the scenery of the end? Hm, here's my guess...

Johan's scene could not be understood, let alone seen, visited, or attained for anyone. The scene was part of his psyche that only Tenma was able to see and Tenma alone as Johan intended. Roberto was too "extraneous" to play the part, which is amazing Johan would not wish to acknowledge anything about his true plans to someone who was his biggest ally. It's ironic and it suggests that Johan, also, may have set up Roberto and his other followers to commit the massacre in the town just to appeal to their egos to give them a sense of achievement. Such a set up is eerily not too unlike how Bonaparta gave a party for all the people involved in the eugenics project, and killed them all. It was Johan's desire to destroy as many people including his allies, so he could "happily" commit the self-suicide that Bonaparta did not do. As Nina oddly put it, it was probably Johan's expression of "love" which parallels Bonaparta, except Bonaparta was actually in love with someone and Johan as far as we know wasn't. It could've easily been the other kind of love (familial), so maybe it was his lament for his mother and sister? Still it makes Johan a very very VERY odd person...
Dec 8, 2011 9:38 AM

Oct 2010
wow the ending was really great, i didnt like everything in this anime ( i still found it overall great tho ), but the last few episodes were just breathtaking
Dec 24, 2011 9:48 PM

Jan 2011
What a fun ride this has been. Despite this being the third time I watched all 74 episodes, this never gets old.

This will forever remain a gem among gems of anime or in fact any sort of show I've ever seen.
Jan 2, 2012 8:10 PM

Jan 2010
This show was absolutely unbelievably amazing. Lunge, Grimmer, and Tenma are among the greatest anime characters of all time.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Jan 18, 2012 4:38 AM

Nov 2011
I really hoped that it wouldn't end in a way that it did, with another crappy "and the villain can resurface again" kind of open ending. I hoped that Johann would be shown as either somehow integrated in society (even if his "society" would be prison), or as a failure to integrate. Why oh why there are no anime, books, or movies that show that? As if nobody wants to explore such things realistically.

I was hoping to see the twins reunited at the end, but that didn't happen, which was an ultimate disappointment. Because it made all Nina's talk about forgiveness meaningless, she didn't even remember about her brother at the end, instead thinking about Tenma. Johann wasn't much better: when his sister finally forgave him, he didn't care at all. I couldn't believe my ears. "It's no use". WTF? So why did you send her a message that you were waiting for her, you dimwit? He didn't even look at Nina when she arrived. I personally find that to be a big hole in the logic of the story. It's centered on the relationship between the twins, after all, it was Nina who created the suicidal tendency in Johann when she shot him, and she was "him"! Tenma's thoughts as a judge were important, too, but they should be of equal importance. I feel like if Tenma was left out, it wouldn't affect the story, Nina's forgiveness should've been enough.

About characters. Well, Johann's was underdeveloped for sure, we know very little about him. Anna was ok in the beginning (if not too ideal), but later as I said the twin focus fell apart and her behavior turned incomprehensible: she was reduced to a potential love interest who cared for Tenma. Tenma was a very ideal character, I wonder if such characters even exist, and as I said his importance in the story at the end was way exaggerated. Maybe the author did it because Tenma was the main character, but the twin aspect of the story was destroyed by that.
Jan 25, 2012 7:14 AM
Jan 2012
i don't know but i find this anime brilliant!! i've watched this a year ago but i think i'm gonna watch this serial again..XD
Jan 25, 2012 9:48 PM

Jul 2008
DarkUltimate said:
So it's over, but I don't want it to end.. hangovers like that always leave me feeling so empty. Questions will come like what will Johan do? Where did he go?

Well.. actually, I think he was a human with a real devil or at least some kind of powerful demon inside him, which won't disappear until he just dies once and for all.
This wasn't a happy ending. That monster only continued its wandering on the earth.

there is no such thing as a demon. We are all humans.
Forever Fornever
Feb 8, 2012 7:54 PM

Aug 2011
Damn, I can't believe they ended it that way... A lot to think about though, very surprising that the one thing that drove Johan crazy was his mom's decision. I wonder why they were dressed both like girls anyways...
Feb 13, 2012 1:57 PM

Aug 2007
Mixon said:
Well, I asked already in the correct thread, but I guess here's where people gather to talk about whole series so...
Why was Roberto denied to view the Final Scene?

Johan screwed every single person he "worked" with. That was the nature of his being as a "monster".
Feb 22, 2012 2:01 PM

Oct 2009
Kinda feeling mehh toward the ending, hate open endings..
Feb 24, 2012 4:55 PM

Jun 2011
great anime but ending was a bit meh. 8/10
Mar 5, 2012 3:48 AM
Nov 2011
Ok so Im confused on a couple of things here. Why did the anime keep referencing Johnan basically as the anti-christ? (EX. Bilbe quote first episode, Drunk guys sees monster with 7 heads, Johan is shot in the head and lives, him being a leader of men). Also are the twins indeed demons? What happened in the masion of roses to the girl twin? Why was she being kept in the dark? And how did any of this make Johan wanna kill people? PLEASE help me out
"If it exists, I'll find it! Even if it doesn't!"
Mar 23, 2012 11:55 AM

Mar 2010
aw i wish i knew their names
overall this is one of the best anime's ever made
Mar 26, 2012 1:22 AM

Mar 2009
It was cool when Johan suddenly woke up though it seemed to just be an imagination.
Apr 2, 2012 2:18 AM
Apr 2012
Alexanderrb31 said:
Ok so Im confused on a couple of things here. Why did the anime keep referencing Johnan basically as the anti-christ? (EX. Bilbe quote first episode, Drunk guys sees monster with 7 heads, Johan is shot in the head and lives, him being a leader of men). Also are the twins indeed demons? What happened in the masion of roses to the girl twin? Why was she being kept in the dark? And how did any of this make Johan wanna kill people? PLEASE help me out

Basically, johan thought he was the unwanted child so he'd dress up like his sister to try to get his mother's love. When she had to choose a child to give away, she mixed up which one was johan and accidentally gave away the sister.
So it became Johan's fault that the sister was sent away. The fact that johan wasn't wanted from his mother and johan's guilt from his sister drove him insane, and he tried to take on the memory of the red rose mansion to ease the guilt.

That's why Nina said "I forgive you". For that incident so long ago. But also for all the killings since then as well.
Apr 20, 2012 12:35 PM

Apr 2009
Obviously this anime is above average. Good points are really nice plot with many twists, lots of secondary characters, each with their own story and personality development, no useless episodes. Bad thing is that this anime tries too hard to look dramatic. Scenes involving Tenma pointing gun at someone especially spoils this anime. Also i fail to understand Johan's personality and his motives. He's just mad psycho too dangerous to live among people and yet he survives through everything and at the end simply disappears god knows where. I'm against senseless killings but radical humanism, that this anime is so plentiful, is a disgusting thing too.
6/10
May 9, 2012 8:23 PM

May 2009
At first I didn't like the ending, but I realized something. Nina has her memory back, and runge has turned around and probably testified against johann rather than tenma, that and tenma gave his confession. Also, it's been several months so this gave them time for them to proceed with testimony. Also, johann was in the state police hospital, so presumably he has charges pending on him. So, the series book ends itself and ends in the ultimate sense of poetic justice. The first time Tenma saved Johan he became a fugitive, this time Johan is the fugitive. This kind of reversal is quite consistent with the rest of the series. So, that's my interpretation of the ending.

And even if johann did escape without anyone knowing his identity, this isn't the type of anime to just kill him. Him getting killed by some random person like the drunk would be incredibly lame, and it's inconsistent with tenma's personality to shoot johann. And it leaves it open to the nature of johann the and the questions about human nature it poses. It is generally a happy ending for most characters anyway. Definitely a 10/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2012 4:30 PM
Mar 2012
I don't know why in some anime website I said it was a nice ending when it clearly was just running away. Giving a list of problems and not solving any of it, in the end this is just like an abrupt ending
Jun 3, 2012 1:56 PM
Jun 2012
Hey,
I did not quite hear out the ending very well, when Johan said : "Well, which is it? Which one of us did not you (need) ."

I am not sure what was the last word, music just gets so loud I do not understand.

I was really happy that Tenma saved Johan's life, I guess it was as I read in one review that characters will be really static. I think Johan after being saved and forgiven, feels free finally and has his name told. But ending was a bit surprising, at least for me, I hope it gets me thinking for more time.

I am really surprised that people here are so smart. Seems most of people here do not have any grammatical mistakes, are very thoughtful and are able to analyze stories very well, again, really surprised.
Jun 15, 2012 3:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
What a journey. 74 episodes with their ups and downs but overall one of the best things I've ever seen on the screen. A magnificent exploration on the subject of what humans will do when their emotions are manipulated and pushed to the brink. And possibly the most well put together collection of side characters I've ever seen in anime/manga. From Dr. Reichwein to Inspector Runge, through Eva, Dieter and the unforgettable Wolfgang Grimmer.

10/10
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 17, 2012 1:53 PM

Jul 2011
Incredible, one of the most intelligent psychological thrillers I have ever seen.

Definitely a rare 10/10 for me.
Jun 27, 2012 11:13 PM
May 2012
Maybe he just fell out of the window in the end and ended up dying? lol game over
Jul 22, 2012 1:34 PM

Apr 2010
One of the best series I've ever seen. Many don't like the ending but I believe it was just perfect for 'Monster'.

10/10
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.
Jul 23, 2012 10:04 PM

Jul 2012
I think Johan killed himself at the end.
10/10
Aug 4, 2012 11:04 AM

Aug 2008
Amazing series. I was confused with the cliffhanger ending too, but it gave me a lot of food for thought. I also think in the end Johan died, that's what I felt when watching the ending. He finally obtained his long awaited peace of mind with Nina's forgiveness and the knowledge of his real name (his recognition as a human being).

This anime really managed to touch my feelings - I haven't been so excited, expectant, scared, sad or happy with a series for a long time. The characters were very endearing (how come nobody remembers Richard? I was so sad with his death) and I will remember all of the wonderful aspects of this show with deep affection.

A true gem that every fan of anime should watch.

10/10.

Aug 4, 2012 11:51 AM
Mar 2012
the ending always seemed like escaping the problems to me
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

201 by tectacles »»
May 1, 4:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.