Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 8:14 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, Shiratama is way more intimidating than I had thought. Asebi ended up on the receiving end of her threats and we got some background story of her family.

Truly, family drama can escalate into dangerous territories. Felt bad that Asebi got involved just because she is part of her family.
May 18, 11:51 AM
Feb 2024
"You could have easily died by my hand in the Ravine. Why do you still follow the master who threw you into that mess?" Yukiya: " ....he gives me kumquats."

The plot thickens! Or maybe the scheming commences? Shiratama and Hamayu’s deal will definitely serve to complicate things at the very least.
I never expected the plot to be this interesting, but I love that while the anime focuses on the Prince and Yukiya there’s so specific main character that’s singled out. Instead it follows the story. That’s pretty awesome.
I’m liking Masuho more by the minute though. Shiratama is certainly a complicated person… I wonder if Masuho will be able to grow closer to them. Out of all the girls, she has the most potential to smooth things over and figure out a solution.
Either way, the Empress needs a reality check.
May 18, 12:37 PM

Apr 2008
Oh boy boy, can't wait to see who killed Samomo and what Samio is doing there. we finally learned the story of Asebi's mother

and then, I don't really know if Hamayu will respect the pact with Shiratama

Hamayuu still remains a free electron

who must have his own agenda

Shiratama was completely educated to be a political tool which is completely normal, but hey, her attitude that she has just shown towards the 3 other candidates, it smells like tragedy to come at one point. I like characters who plot and have big ambition, but you have to do that in a subtle way.
May 18, 3:01 PM

Feb 2019
Wow amazing episode, one of the best yet. Seems like things are really getting going in both the K’inu race and the Cherry Blossom palace.

No shocker that the Prince’s brother is planning something, or at least, letting those that support him plan something without getting involved. Surely the Prince and Sumio have made countermeasures and it’ll be interesting to see what they are.

The stuff on the girls’ side was my fave aspect of the episode though. Shiratama is such a jealous bitch and I hope she gets the karma that’s coming to her. Trying to steal the letter and pushing Asebi in the water 🤢 it’s a good thing Masuho was there to save Asebi.

Deception seems to be the name of the game in the Cherry Palace though. Even the current empress got her position by sabotaging things with the emperor’s favourite lady.. all’s fair in love and war I guess.

With the North and South joining forces and Shiratama threatening Asebi, Masuho and by extension everyone in the cherry palace, Samomo getting killed, etc., things are getting wild.

This show is so underrated and deserves more hype.
Marinate1016May 18, 3:05 PM
May 18, 4:08 PM

Apr 2008
Reply to Marinate1016
Wow amazing episode, one of the best yet. Seems like things are really getting going in both the K’inu race and the Cherry Blossom palace.

No shocker that the Prince’s brother is planning something, or at least, letting those that support him plan something without getting involved. Surely the Prince and Sumio have made countermeasures and it’ll be interesting to see what they are.

The stuff on the girls’ side was my fave aspect of the episode though. Shiratama is such a jealous bitch and I hope she gets the karma that’s coming to her. Trying to steal the letter and pushing Asebi in the water 🤢 it’s a good thing Masuho was there to save Asebi.

Deception seems to be the name of the game in the Cherry Palace though. Even the current empress got her position by sabotaging things with the emperor’s favourite lady.. all’s fair in love and war I guess.

With the North and South joining forces and Shiratama threatening Asebi, Masuho and by extension everyone in the cherry palace, Samomo getting killed, etc., things are getting wild.

@Marinate1016 It's not really jealousy. She was programmed like that in my opinion. She wants to secure her position. And then as I say, it smacks of tragedy about her. the situation could be worse if the prince had already visited.

Afterwards, the prince must know what is happening in the palace. He has a pretty good judgment of people.
KiraYoshikageMay 18, 5:42 PM
May 18, 4:59 PM

Feb 2019
KiraYoshikage said:
@Marinate1016 It's not really jealousy. She was programmed like that in my opinion. She wants to secure her position. And then as I say, it smacks of tragedy about him. the situation could be worse if the prince had already visited.

Afterwards, the prince must know what is happening in the palace. He has a pretty good judgment of people.

It’s still jealousy. She wants what the other girls could get. Full stop, regardless of why.
May 18, 7:16 PM
Mar 2015
The bitches be getting serious We now know who our grils mother was and what happened to her
landofthekwtMay 19, 9:03 AM
May 18, 7:16 PM

Nov 2012
Just as I suspected Shiratama is a conniving loon like the Queen. Must be something in that North water. Asebi should tell the princess. Her brother needs to know not that I think he'd choose the North anyway.

Sometimes I feel sorry for Asebi. She's too naieve and trusting. Now that we about her mom, I wonder if the older sister was actually ill. Or was she held back for some reason.

Poor Samomo. I think the evil queen intercepted Asebi's letter. I wonder if there's an incense or drug that can stop them transforming since she had 1 wing.
May 18, 7:50 PM
Feb 2022
it is very good plot and tell a lot of new information
May 18, 8:00 PM
Aug 2011
landofthekwt said:
The bitches be getting serious We now know who our grils mother was and what happened to her They just raped her mother now they are killing people

I don't think they raped her mother i think the current empress consort raped the emperor bc they said that was how the first prince was born.
May 18, 9:58 PM

Jan 2017
Dang the mysteries on this show is killing me...

Never expected for Shiratama to act that way. I was disappointed as she was actually my second choice for the prince's consort next to Asebi 🙄

Wakamiya being such a gentleman and I already had an idea why he stayed away from the ladies but still hearing it directly from him was very endearing. And Yukiya still being the Tsundere he is. Pretty sure you won't stay there just for a year 😂
May 19, 1:04 AM
Apr 2024
Maan, the plot thickens! It's that good that I can't wait to watch the next episode. Moreover I need to find somewhere these OSTs. They really know how to build menacing atmosphere when necessary.
May 19, 6:48 AM
Feb 2015
As much as i don't agree with Shiratama,it weird East house sent the naive Asebi to the Rite of ascension, seem like the South house Hamayu also have something hidden in her meanwhile the West houses act so righteous and loyal, which make it more sus imo.
May 19, 10:16 AM
Apr 2024
Has anyone noticed the newcomer among the characters, Kazumi the gardener? That's Shiratama's karma and tragedy, and later you'll see in what way! He's such a nice and handsome boy...
Wakamiya asked Toru why he has sent his adoptive daughter to the palace instead of his real elder daughter Nadeshiko, and who taught(or ordered) him to do this.He meant the empress, of course.
May 19, 5:30 PM

Jun 2019
Did I miss something?

Why did Samomo look gripped with terror, visibly sweating and trembling when she was handing over that letter to Asebi? Was she detained en route and threatened behind the scenes offscreen or something? Is that the implication? Because I don't think that anything else that was shown can explain it.
May 19, 5:32 PM
Jan 2023
Marinate1016 said:

I agree the episode was great!

I have a difference in opinion about Shiramata though. She isn't jealous, she clearly isn't interested in the Prince nor power for her own means, but she craves the position of Empress. From what I've seen so far, her apathy towards suffering and her brutality seems to indicate that she has been abused by her family and has no motive but carrying out their will. In an earlier episode it seemed that she was under a lot of pressure, and I felt sympathy for her. But yeah I think that she has been abused and has lost her individuality due to this, so she only serves her family.

it's a bit hard to explain because abuse is complicated, but that's my guess
May 19, 5:34 PM
Jan 2023
dragynfaerie said:
Just as I suspected Shiratama is a conniving loon like the Queen. Must be something in that North water. Asebi should tell the princess. Her brother needs to know not that I think he'd choose the North anyway.

Sometimes I feel sorry for Asebi. She's too naieve and trusting. Now that we about her mom, I wonder if the older sister was actually ill. Or was she held back for some reason.

Poor Samomo. I think the evil queen intercepted Asebi's letter. I wonder if there's an incense or drug that can stop them transforming since she had 1 wing.

yeah I did wonder that! it's also been established that a lot of nobility have barely ever transformed, so I wonder if she actually just lacked practice and couldn't pull it off in time. It's almost more tragic that way, in a sense
May 19, 5:41 PM
Jan 2023
PinkHeart19 said:
landofthekwt said:
The bitches be getting serious We now know who our grils mother was and what happened to her They just raped her mother now they are killing people

I don't think they raped her mother i think the current empress consort raped the emperor bc they said that was how the first prince was born.

yeah the empire was definitely raped by the current Empress, which is devastating. I understand more now why he's always trembling around her, I have no idea what he was like before but she's sexually abusive at the very least but possibly also just generally abusive. This might sound odd but it's almost nice to see a 'powerful' man being abused and assaulted by his wife. It's important representation because it does happen. This show is nuanced and not cliché with its characters and their dynamics. I'm really enjoying it and I'm excited to see where it goes.
May 19, 6:13 PM
Jan 2023
Also, can anyone explain Asebi's lineage? I struggle to remember which house is which lmao. Is she the child of the previous eastern lady and the current emperor? Wouldn't that make the Princes her half- siblings? Or... the eastern lady and the eastern lord? But aren't THEY siblings? Or am I getting Asebi's house confused? someone pls help 😭
May 19, 7:04 PM

Apr 2008
Reply to snekkoboi
Also, can anyone explain Asebi's lineage? I struggle to remember which house is which lmao. Is she the child of the previous eastern lady and the current emperor? Wouldn't that make the Princes her half- siblings? Or... the eastern lady and the eastern lord? But aren't THEY siblings? Or am I getting Asebi's house confused? someone pls help 😭
@snekkoboi The mother of the princess(and the prince) is from the westhern house(the prince said that in the 4th ep at Yukiya). From what I understand, it is not always the lord's child that he send. We learn it in this episode. and the empress is from the southern house

I haven't read the novel or manga, so I don't have all the answers about her lineage. But, from what we have seen, Asabi's mother must be the last candidate to be the consort of the east.
KiraYoshikageMay 19, 7:08 PM
May 19, 8:53 PM

May 2010
I think it's pretty clear at this point that Asebi is not what she seems...I'm almost certain she's the one behind all the weird shit going on rn, probably revenge for her mother?

She's probably the one who stole the letters, the person who leaked that there was assassins trying to kill the prince and definitely the one who pushed samomo to her death. Probably whatever she asked samomo to do last episode and the response she got in this episode was enough that samomo needed to be killed, I mean she was literally sweating balls when handing her the letter.
May 19, 9:43 PM
Dec 2015
how have I heard NOTHING about this about on YouTube? it's REAL fucking good and I don't see anybody talking about it

it's ESPECIALLY rare for that to happen with a 2 core show like this one, since those are usually the front-runners with all the attention each season

granted, this season is STACKED. winter 24 was kinda empty, but there's A LOT to watch this season. I almost feel as though this show could have been more popular if it released last season closer too apothecary diaries and kinda mixed the audiences

also dougen is peak character design, the man looks like a ginger version of Father Owl from sekiro shadows die twice, even has a similar sword
DarkHorizonMay 19, 9:50 PM
May 20, 6:22 AM
Apr 2024
Samomo was half-transformed into a bird UNDER her kimono. It is impossible for yatagarasu to transform fully dressed in human clothes. They can fly only if they are in black feather dress. So Samomo was pushed down by someone and was not able to fly.
May 20, 8:08 PM

Nov 2012
Reply to snekkoboi
dragynfaerie said:

yeah I did wonder that! it's also been established that a lot of nobility have barely ever transformed, so I wonder if she actually just lacked practice and couldn't pull it off in time. It's almost more tragic that way, in a sense
@snekkoboi oh yeah! That's true. I forgot. Yes, that is more tragic.
May 29, 1:06 AM
Jul 2020
Asebi is terrifying if her entire persona is an act like the scene with a visibly shaken Samomo bringing he a letter is implying. I don't fully believe it yet but a lot of her reactions lack tears or other signs of being truly upset when dealing with anything related to the princess and the show has been very careful not to go too deeply into Asebi's motives outside of wanting to see her first love the prince or into her thought process when making decisions like it has the other women so it is a possibility. But it's also likely they're trying to make the audience feel the same distrust the women in the palace are feeling. And then there's the Empress and the palace guard, the Prince's sister, and all the ladies in waiting too. The drama in the palace is so thick it's almost like a mystery novel. What's a red herring and what's a clue? It's very difficult to tell who's pulling which strings in the palace and which of thel 4 young women are just being pulled along in the plots of the Empress and the nobles. We'll have to wait for the big reveal to put the pieces together. I feel like a rewatch of this show will be a totally different experience.
JimgusMay 29, 5:04 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Today

5 by Marinate1016 »»
2 hours ago

» This pisses me off

mufarari - 5 hours ago

2 by KisMaczka »»
3 hours ago

» Why only 20 episodes?

18927 - May 26

22 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 12:28 PM

» Sleeper Hit

_MackynCheese_ - May 1

8 by ggloll »»
May 30, 8:46 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25

19 by KisMaczka »»
May 29, 12:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.