Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 12, 6:00 PM
Mar 2018
I don't know, she's one of my favorite anime characters. In this season her nature seems like a side character, who has jealousy and fear of someone who is probably better than her. At least that's the interpretation I got from the story shown. I couldn't read the novel anywhere, so I might be wrong. But I'm afraid I'll start to hate her if she continues like this.

So please give me spoilers.
as Disclosal I make animations.
as Sal Rama Risa I make oil paintings.
May 12, 7:34 PM
Aug 2011
yeah this season has been giving me too much anxiety fr, she's always been passive though
May 12, 7:53 PM
Jan 2021
I think it's much more nuanced than her simply being jealous of someone that may be better than her.

Kumiko is trying to balance her external motivation of being a good president and the band being the best version of itself with her internal motivation of getting to play the soli with Reina. This, along with Kumiko's people pleasing tendencies lead her to just keep Mayu at a distance instead of truly letting her in. This was most clearly visualized in the scene by the back of the school when Kumiko didn't want to explain what she was playing to Mayu who literally started to back away from her.
May 12, 7:55 PM

Jan 2022
Methinks it's the pressure of being the club president on top of career plans, being possessive of Asuka's legacy, wanting to play in the Nationals with Reina, and most especially being a student who needs to graduate by the end of the year. She seems to try to do everything by herself. The pressure would get the best of her if she continues at this rate. She needs the club's support too.

If you're familiar with Warhammer 40K, she's in a similar position to Horus in his Warmaster phase. Pray the club doesn't get their equivalent of the Heresy.
May 12, 8:49 PM
Mar 2018
Reply to PinkHeart19
yeah this season has been giving me too much anxiety fr, she's always been passive though
@PinkHeart19 I know, right! There were many scenes that made me awkward and unable to watch them, often I found myself having to skip a scene by pressing the right button on my keyboard.
May 12, 8:53 PM
Mar 2018
Reply to mo_lave
Methinks it's the pressure of being the club president on top of career plans, being possessive of Asuka's legacy, wanting to play in the Nationals with Reina, and most especially being a student who needs to graduate by the end of the year. She seems to try to do everything by herself. The pressure would get the best of her if she continues at this rate. She needs the club's support too.

If you're familiar with Warhammer 40K, she's in a similar position to Horus in his Warmaster phase. Pray the club doesn't get their equivalent of the Heresy.
@mo_lave I don't know what is warhammer. If only I able to read the novel, maybe I will know what is actually happen in Kumiko's mind. I can't found it anywhere in my country, the books or even the fan tl.
May 12, 8:57 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to mufarari
@mo_lave I don't know what is warhammer. If only I able to read the novel, maybe I will know what is actually happen in Kumiko's mind. I can't found it anywhere in my country, the books or even the fan tl.
@mufarari Try the Horus Rising book first.
May 12, 10:27 PM

Jul 2015
Bruh, I thought exactly that of her from the very beginning. She always seemed passive, lethargic and as if she was just an observer. But this season seems to indeed be about her.

May 12, 11:05 PM

Nov 2023
I mean she is an observer from the start if you closely looked her. In this season she is their leader and she has most of passive character in majority.

Well, this story is said to original in real life. So you can't change much. She is what she is.

I know people make promises all the time
Then they turn right around and break them
When someone cuts your heart open with a knife, now you're bleeding
But I could be that guy to heal it over time
And I won't stop until you believe it
'Cause baby you're worth it
May 13, 12:48 AM

Jan 2021
I can’t lie and say I’m happy with how passive she’s been, but at the end of the day, that is Kumiko. I like that even though she’s grown a lot in these last few years, and is now a prominent member at Kitauji, she’s still the Kumiko we know. She still has insecurities and vacillates on things. She doesn’t know if she should continue doing music, tries hearing all members’ out, seemingly out of fear of repeating some 1st year incidents, and keeps the new, talented transfer student, which could perhaps be the key to them winning gold at Nationals, at arm’s length.

I’m frustrated with her too sometimes, yet I can’t help but admire how human she is. Those are all things that would happen in reality, knowingly or not. I think it’s beautiful how she’s still herself, even though she’s grown and has been through so much in this journey.
May 13, 1:57 AM
Feb 2018
She has always been like that tho. And she still goes and takes action on her own, she just needs to convince herself.
May 13, 2:31 AM
Sep 2021
Could you even imagine how much pressure she's having to go under? Worse things are still about to happen with Mayu.
But she'll overcome everything at the end, just sit back and watch.
May 13, 2:35 AM
Oct 2021
you starting to hate her because she feel realistic and human?
May 13, 2:37 AM
Oct 2021
Reply to SUPER_CANNES
I can’t lie and say I’m happy with how passive she’s been, but at the end of the day, that is Kumiko. I like that even though she’s grown a lot in these last few years, and is now a prominent member at Kitauji, she’s still the Kumiko we know. She still has insecurities and vacillates on things. She doesn’t know if she should continue doing music, tries hearing all members’ out, seemingly out of fear of repeating some 1st year incidents, and keeps the new, talented transfer student, which could perhaps be the key to them winning gold at Nationals, at arm’s length.

I’m frustrated with her too sometimes, yet I can’t help but admire how human she is. Those are all things that would happen in reality, knowingly or not. I think it’s beautiful how she’s still herself, even though she’s grown and has been through so much in this journey.
@SUPER_CANNES word
May 13, 3:27 AM
Nov 2021
Honestly this season feels uneasy due to how human and realistic all characters feels
Even the side ones got development of their personalities

And right now Kumiko is in one of the hardest parts of her life
She got to think about the club as a president of it
Think about her future and what she wants to do
Think about her performance to achieve to play the last solo with Reina
And think about her relationship with her friends and how to handle them
Especially as we can see with Mayu where she doesn't know how to act and if she should open to her

Kumiko is probably the most human character I know and I love her for that
May 13, 3:31 AM

Mar 2023
Your read is probably not wrong. Though it only resulted in her keeping her distance from Mayu (who mostly wants to get closer to Kumiko and is insecure about trying with everyone else).
I doubt Kumiko will do anything much worse though, she is at the same time reassuring Mayu when she says that she wants to give up and doesn't get angry at Mayu. These reassurances may be why Mayu is trying to get closer to Kumiko.

Also, apart from music skill, she was also looking at Mayu's bigger boobs and comparing (ep 3), so she may be jealous of her body too.
It's manifesting more like an inferiority complex.

If you're scared that she won't accomplish anything, I actually think she'll accomplish both major music goals (solo nationals+gold), even though it won't be easy and she'll have to overcome her insecurities towards Mayu. Reason is that from a plot perspective, there would be nothing to learn from failing this year as well, the point of working hard and learning from failing is to eventually succeed.
May 13, 5:13 AM
Jan 2022
I don't think she got to that point. It's just normal for her to feel anxious, she is a teenager after all, leader of the orchestral group and is still in her last year of high school having to deal with a future uncertain. Obviously all of this would make a difference in your personality. But I still love her as a character, also one of my favorites.
May 13, 6:37 AM

May 2021
I don't think she is jealous though, I think she doesn't know how to approach Mayu's insecurities and she doesn't know how to let her in her circle because of it

May 13, 7:53 AM

Jun 2019
quotation;Big spoileer!!!!Big spoileer!!!!
May 13, 7:27 PM
Sep 2020
I've had enough of these Yuri baits, idek why I'm still watching this lame serie. Even Love Live can top this effortlessly. 😂🤪🥴
May 14, 2:01 PM
Nov 2022
KRAKUMAL said:
I've had enough of these Yuri baits, idek why I'm still watching this lame serie. Even Love Live can top this effortlessly. 😂🤪🥴

Can’t even express in words how bad of a take this is 😂
May 14, 2:08 PM
Sep 2020
Kaze1214 said:
KRAKUMAL said:

Can’t even express in words how bad of a take this is 😂

Womp Womp rigger clannad in fav 🤡🤡🤢🤮🤪🥴🤪
May 14, 3:44 PM
Nov 2022
She's a good character, but she's what we call in my country a "fio condutor" (guide thread), because it's from her perspective that we understand the story. Generally, characters with this characteristic tend to have a more neutral and balanced personality (neither too emotional nor too calm). And there's a reason for that, characters with this characteristic have the role of keeping the audience engaged, because in real life, most people have a balanced temperament, which makes people subconsciously connect to the character even if she's not their favorite or they find her more interesting, like Asuka (a character built completely dynamically, to have the attitude that others wouldn't). Another characteristic of this type of character is curiosity (for example, when she eventually hears behind the door), thus giving access to an important part of the story without the intervention of the main character. That's explain the reason why she's not a amazing character, but she's a lovely character.
May 15, 4:23 PM

Jul 2016
I didn't get the vibe that she is jealous, rather it feels like she is unsure about her post high school path and whether she is doing a good job as the club president or not.
May 23, 3:00 AM

Dec 2010
Reply to ricky78
@ricky78 bro even gets backgrounded in the novels?
AAAAHHAHAHA
キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
May 23, 4:30 AM

Jun 2019
Reply to jesujej
@ricky78 bro even gets backgrounded in the novels?
AAAAHHAHAHA
@jesujej Bro Source:Looking for novel spoilers
https://www.reddit.com/r/HibikeEuphonium/comments/eqloqj/looking_for_novel_spoilers/?rdt=52092
May 23, 5:20 AM

Jun 2019
Made by the same director.Kumiko x reina are the same.
Naoko Yamada ``Liz and the Blue Bird is not a gay love story, it's a coming-of-age story.'
https://cinemania.hatenadiary.jp/entry/2022/11/14/083108
Queerbaiting is a marketing technique for fiction and entertainment in which creators hint at, but do not depict, same-sex romance or other LGBTQ+ representation.(wiki)
ricky78May 23, 6:04 AM
May 26, 10:33 AM
Mar 2018
Reply to ricky78
@ricky78 so this is true
May 26, 3:04 PM

Jun 2019
Reply to mufarari
@ricky78 so this is true
@mufarari True?Yes.I shared the spoiler source above.You read and decide.The possible ending of the anime will not change.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Yesterday

64 by azerezez »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

98 by mtfunky »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 26

98 by mtfunky »»
6 hours ago

» She are as beautiful as the day I lost her

mufarari - Yesterday

2 by Piromysl »»
Yesterday, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 19

68 by DUYANCU159 »»
Jun 8, 11:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.