Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 8, 7:59 AM
Dec 2023
Hello everyone. I'm quite interested in this manga but I haven't read the previous parts. Just so you know, I've finished the first 2 parts, I've read the Hol Horse spinoff and I'm in the middle of watching part 3. Am I going to miss a lot, knowing that I'll be reading the sequel later?

Thanks in advance for your answers, brothers.
May 8, 8:07 AM
Oct 2023
I think you technically could but I recommend to just read/ watch everything in order, cuz why would you skip to the last part?
May 8, 8:16 AM
Oct 2022
it's always good to watch/read everything that comes before, so I'd recommend doing it anyway
May 8, 8:36 AM
Dec 2020
imagine reading a spinoff before any of the two characters even appear in the main series lol

i dont know what youre trying to accomplish but here comes a shocker: i recommend reading everything in order.

even though i guess its technically possible to skip to the 9th part
May 8, 8:44 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to fratsje
I think you technically could but I recommend to just read/ watch everything in order, cuz why would you skip to the last part?
@fratsje It's not that i want to skip. I just have this manga in my library and the stor seems to be pretty interesting
May 8, 8:45 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Miry4316
it's always good to watch/read everything that comes before, so I'd recommend doing it anyway
@Miry4316 But, after Stone Ocean, isn't it a new world or something ?
May 8, 8:47 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to keinboesewicht
imagine reading a spinoff before any of the two characters even appear in the main series lol

i dont know what youre trying to accomplish but here comes a shocker: i recommend reading everything in order.

even though i guess its technically possible to skip to the 9th part
@keinboesewicht It's not that i'm totally new to this universe. I know a lot about the parts I haven't read. It's just that I'm really struggling with part 3 in particular.
May 8, 8:53 AM

Mar 2018
If you're excited to read it, just go and do it. Don't let that excitement cool off. Part 9 is completely independent and doesn't spoil anything. All it shares with previous Jojo series is an alternate version of a supporting Part 4 character.
May 8, 8:55 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Cosenza
If you're excited to read it, just go and do it. Don't let that excitement cool off. Part 9 is completely independent and doesn't spoil anything. All it shares with previous Jojo series is an alternate version of a supporting Part 4 character.
@Cosenza I really appreciate your comment and advice, friend. I already had this desire with SBR but never really got into it, for fear of missing out on a lot. But if you confirm that I'm not going to miss anything, I'll go for it. Thank you very much, bro.
May 8, 8:56 AM

Mar 2018
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:
@keinboesewicht It's not that i'm totally new to this universe. I know a lot about the parts I haven't read. It's just that I'm really struggling with part 3 in particular.

Reading the few available chapters of Part 9 could be a nice break from the repetitiveness of around middle Part 3. But know that Part 3's ending is absolutely glorious and you should not drop it!
May 8, 8:59 AM

Mar 2018
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:
@Cosenza I really appreciate your comment and advice, friend. I already had this desire with SBR but never really got into it, for fear of missing out on a lot. But if you confirm that I'm not going to miss anything, I'll go for it. Thank you very much, bro.

About SBR, you definitely need to read all previous 6 parts before it. There are many, many callbacks and references you'd miss out on. It's only Jojolands that, maybe because it's still brand new, barely has anything that requires prior Jojo knowledge or spoils previous parts. Everything else, I really do recommend reading in order.
May 8, 9:00 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Cosenza
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

Reading the few available chapters of Part 9 could be a nice break from the repetitiveness of around middle Part 3. But know that Part 3's ending is absolutely glorious and you should not drop it!
@Cosenza There's the French edition, which is pretty good quality for a good price, so I'm thinking of buying even just volume 1. But you know what, you've made me want to push myself a bit for part 3. Knowing that part 4 really makes me want to, and in view of what you've told me, I'm going to continue tonight :D
May 8, 9:02 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Cosenza
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

About SBR, you definitely need to read all previous 6 parts before it. There are many, many callbacks and references you'd miss out on. It's only Jojolands that, maybe because it's still brand new, barely has anything that requires prior Jojo knowledge or spoils previous parts. Everything else, I really do recommend reading in order.
@Cosenza I'd had a bit of a start and hadn't really seen any references. On the other hand, it's true that Crazy D (the spin-off) was full of winks that I hadn't necessarily seen. So, for the time being, I'll wait for SBR.
May 8, 9:03 AM

Mar 2018
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:
@Cosenza There's the French edition, which is pretty good quality for a good price, so I'm thinking of buying even just volume 1. But you know what, you've made me want to push myself a bit for part 3. Knowing that part 4 really makes me want to, and in view of what you've told me, I'm going to continue tonight :D

You could buy the volumes and just save them to read later when you catch up! Enjoy Part 3, even if some episodes feel formulaic you'll definitely miss the journey after you finish.
May 8, 9:05 AM

Mar 2018
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:
@Cosenza I'd had a bit of a start and hadn't really seen any references. On the other hand, it's true that Crazy D (the spin-off) was full of winks that I hadn't necessarily seen. So, for the time being, I'll wait for SBR.

Good! TLDR: have a sneak peek of Part 9 if you want to but for everything else, read in order.
May 8, 9:10 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Cosenza
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

You could buy the volumes and just save them to read later when you catch up! Enjoy Part 3, even if some episodes feel formulaic you'll definitely miss the journey after you finish.
@Cosenza I think I'll do that then. For now, I'll concentrate on my readings of Houseki No Kuni, Kokou No Hitou and Innocent and then watch Jojo's anime in parallel.
May 8, 9:11 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to Kumoiro_Shizuki
@Cosenza I think I'll do that then. For now, I'll concentrate on my readings of Houseki No Kuni, Kokou No Hitou and Innocent and then watch Jojo's anime in parallel.
@Kumoiro_Shizuki Good, it's a long series so it's better to not rush it. 👍
May 8, 9:12 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Cosenza
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

Good! TLDR: have a sneak peek of Part 9 if you want to but for everything else, read in order.
@Cosenza I'll do as you say, then. Thanks for your advice. It was a real pleasure to chat calmly with a jojo fan. Have a great day, man
May 8, 11:11 AM
Aug 2019
there haven’t really been any callbacks to JoJolion yet but i’m sure there will be later on since Araki likes to slowly connect things. plus, you’re doing yourself a disservice by not reading it, it’s personally my favorite part.
May 8, 11:14 AM
Apr 2017
Everything is connected in some way , i do not recommend you to skip any part the first 6 parts is a timeline on its own and the last three is another timeline , but its still connected to each other somehow i cannot explain but to get the full experience watch it in order .
May 8, 11:41 AM
Oct 2022
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

Well yes, but there's still some "references to previous characters" even tho the universe was reset by Pucci. For example there's a "Joseph Joestar" at the end of part 8, as well as Lucy from part 7.

I have read some of Jojolands also because it's still ongoing, but I'm sure Araki will put some of those "references" in it (there's Rohan from part 4), and it's always funny recognizing them. I think that's also what makes Jojo such a funny and "bizarre" adventure. 😄

But you can always read it and let us know :)
May 8, 12:06 PM
Aug 2022
I’d recommend you start with 3 from here and just try each part out at least a little before skipping it. 9 IMO is one of the less good parts, 8 was much better this early on
May 8, 4:57 PM

Apr 2017
do you put your bread between two cheese slices also?
May 8, 6:21 PM

Oct 2023
If you understand what stands are and who Rohan is then you should be able to read it no problem.
May 8, 6:23 PM
Apr 2022
its an own unique story but its still sad because you skipped the good stuff and when you completed all chapters you have to wait every month to read the next chapters
May 9, 1:13 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to SKILIFT26
there haven’t really been any callbacks to JoJolion yet but i’m sure there will be later on since Araki likes to slowly connect things. plus, you’re doing yourself a disservice by not reading it, it’s personally my favorite part.
@SKILIFT26 What do you like best about Part 3?
May 9, 1:14 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to SSJ-3Z
Everything is connected in some way , i do not recommend you to skip any part the first 6 parts is a timeline on its own and the last three is another timeline , but its still connected to each other somehow i cannot explain but to get the full experience watch it in order .
@SSJ-3Z So I should still watch everything, even if it's another universe then?
May 9, 1:15 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Miry4316
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

Well yes, but there's still some "references to previous characters" even tho the universe was reset by Pucci. For example there's a "Joseph Joestar" at the end of part 8, as well as Lucy from part 7.

I have read some of Jojolands also because it's still ongoing, but I'm sure Araki will put some of those "references" in it (there's Rohan from part 4), and it's always funny recognizing them. I think that's also what makes Jojo such a funny and "bizarre" adventure. 😄

But you can always read it and let us know :)
@Miry4316 Yes, it's true that the references are multiple, I had already noticed it in Crazy D. But I'm still thinking of getting it and doing as the other person on the forum said, namely having them in my library but saving my reading for later.
May 9, 1:16 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to KurtMoney
I’d recommend you start with 3 from here and just try each part out at least a little before skipping it. 9 IMO is one of the less good parts, 8 was much better this early on
@KurtMoney Why is part 9 not as good as previous part ?
May 9, 1:17 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to BenUnderscore
If you understand what stands are and who Rohan is then you should be able to read it no problem.
@BenUnderscore I know a little. It's true that I don't know all the lore, but I do know quite a lot.
May 9, 1:19 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Lawliet-dono
its an own unique story but its still sad because you skipped the good stuff and when you completed all chapters you have to wait every month to read the next chapters
@Lawliet-dono I'm thinking of just buying the tome and putting it aside. That way, I won't mind waiting for the tomes and I won't have to skip all the other parts.
May 9, 1:52 AM
Aug 2022
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

I don’t like the stand designs for the main protagonist group, they just don’t feel cool. It’s getting better but we’re on like chapter 14 and it’s only just now getting good. I think having it take place in modern day was also not very interesting.
May 9, 2:00 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to KurtMoney
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

I don’t like the stand designs for the main protagonist group, they just don’t feel cool. It’s getting better but we’re on like chapter 14 and it’s only just now getting good. I think having it take place in modern day was also not very interesting.
@KurtMoney It's true that going from the Wild West to modern times can be quite a difference. And as for the stands, I've seen a bit of it and didn't see anything shocking. They're classic stands, I think.
May 9, 2:04 AM

Nov 2018
Other than recurring characters, each JoJo part is a self contained story and this is especially true for parts 7,8 and (seemingly) 9. You can absolutely start with 9 if you wanted to, you just might not be as surprised about some stuff but it won’t detract from the story.
May 9, 3:07 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to TaeYamadaChan
Other than recurring characters, each JoJo part is a self contained story and this is especially true for parts 7,8 and (seemingly) 9. You can absolutely start with 9 if you wanted to, you just might not be as surprised about some stuff but it won’t detract from the story.
@TaeYamadaChan So, there are elements and references from previous parts but they don't get in the way of the overall understanding of the story, right?
May 9, 10:19 AM
Apr 2022
What the fuck is wrong with you.
May 9, 12:43 PM
Oct 2022
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:
@Miry4316 Yes, it's true that the references are multiple, I had already noticed it in Crazy D. But I'm still thinking of getting it and doing as the other person on the forum said, namely having them in my library but saving my reading for later.

Alright, I hope you'll enjoy your reading :)
May 9, 12:44 PM
Jul 2015
You can safely read the first volume without problem BUT an important callback to part 7 in part 8 was spoiling major stuff from the previous part. Right now there hasn't been any spoilers but you never know if it'll happen, when and how. Also Tonkam schedule in France sucks ass
May 10, 10:44 PM
May 2020
You could but you shouldn’t because why would you? Especially since Jojo land ain’t going to be finished for YEARS so being caught up to it won’t mean much.

Basically, catch up with everything and take your time cause Jojo land is going to keep going for years
May 11, 2:24 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Kracko3D
You can safely read the first volume without problem BUT an important callback to part 7 in part 8 was spoiling major stuff from the previous part. Right now there hasn't been any spoilers but you never know if it'll happen, when and how. Also Tonkam schedule in France sucks ass
@Kracko3D I must admit that Tonkam is one of the worst French publishing houses, along with Panini and Black Box. But I can see it. Maybe I'll buy it (I'm hesitating whether to buy this, the last 2 volumes of Yokohama Kaidaishi Kikou or volume 6 of Chi Chikyu). I'll take a look at the previous parts first before jumping in. Thanks for the advice
May 11, 2:26 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Streetplosion
You could but you shouldn’t because why would you? Especially since Jojo land ain’t going to be finished for YEARS so being caught up to it won’t mean much.

Basically, catch up with everything and take your time cause Jojo land is going to keep going for years
@Streetplosion It's true that from that point of view, it might not be a good idea to buy this series, knowing that I have plenty of other series to complete. In that case, I'll take my time. Thanks for the advice
May 11, 2:27 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Miry4316
Kumoiro_Shizuki said:

Alright, I hope you'll enjoy your reading :)
@Miry4316 Thanks, man (and sorry for the late reply)

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 9: The JoJoLands Chapter 15 Discussion

MegamiRem - May 16

12 by Wiziliz »»
Jun 1, 7:38 AM

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 9: The JoJoLands Chapter 9 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 16, 2023

25 by Deepmagic »»
May 29, 7:25 PM

» JOJOLands bingo

Mirai_Kuromaru - Feb 15, 2023

34 by Mirai_Kuromaru »»
May 17, 4:01 AM

» French editor of JoJo confirms (?) that Dragona is trans

Flomik - Apr 27

8 by Nats482 »»
May 13, 10:44 PM

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 9: The JoJoLands Chapter 14 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 18

12 by DaBestWatcher »»
Apr 23, 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.