Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 4, 10:33 PM

Sep 2023
I wanted to start this series and looked up on Google on the series order. But I am not sure what should I watch first. Fate stay night or fate zero. So can someone tell me what should I watch first for better understanding of the series and to have maximum fun watching it.
May 4, 10:53 PM
Sep 2021
Shadow__-Monarch said:
I wanted to start this series and looked up on Google on the series order. But I am not sure what should I watch first. Fate stay night or fate zero. So can someone tell me what should I watch first for better understanding of the series and to have maximum fun watching it.

soo... here we go again

fate/stay night
is a visual novel released 2004
the story has 3 visions (3 different timeline)
1. fate route
2. Unlimited Blade Works route
3. Heaven's Feel route

has to be watched in same order

Now fate zero is prequel to fate stay night all three routes set 10 years before

as it sets 10 years before ,people tend to start with it but is not recommended because it has spoilers (stay night too spoils zero) for fate stay night and kinda starts like you already familiar with the lore

so it's on you how you wanna watch it

also the anime adaptation for 1st route is bad but still recommended
May 4, 10:55 PM

Jul 2022
Fate/Stay Night is a good point if you don't care about animation, fights etc.

Fate/Zero is extremely hard to understand without watching the others first, but it's the darkest Fate anime, being also my favorite. If you like those kind of psychological thrillers, it's the best for you to start.

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks is great if you like something more close to a shounen with amazing animation. It has a weaker plot together unlike Fate/Zero though, but it's your choice.

Choose one of the three to start, and then watch the other 2, but Fate/Stay Night can be skippable depending on your choice.

Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel (a triology of movies) MUST be watched after Unlimited Bladeworks, you can start it before Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night, though. Again, it depends on how you're gonna start watching and the order you'll follow.

After that, just watch whatever spin off you'd enjoy, but I really recommend Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Strange Fake, Today's Menu for the Emiya Family, Carnival Phantasm and Fate/Grand Order.
MKIkawaMay 4, 10:58 PM
May 4, 11:01 PM
Dec 2021
1. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works [2014] [Season 1 and Season 2].

2. Fate/stay night: Heavens Feel [Film 1, Film 2, Film 3]

3. Fate/Zero [Season 1 & 2]

Watch it like this and you’re fine. If you’re interested in more Fate after that just ask where to continue.

May 4, 11:13 PM

Jan 2017
Shadow__-Monarch said:
Fate stay night or fate zero. So can someone tell me what should I watch first for better understanding of the series and to have maximum fun watching it.

Fate/Zero was created with the idea that the viewer/reader knew everything about Fate/Stay Night beforehand. That's why it contains a lot of spoilers, and talk about them as if nothing, so you absolutely have to experience it in last. Zero is generally considerd to be the best story tho, and going in blindly adds a Thriller feels to it, so your search of fun may be tempted by it... (especially as the first Stay Night series is quite old and not very good compared to the rest.)

Anyway, if you want the full order :

"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 5, 12:56 AM
Dec 2022
Shadow__-Monarch said:

i once asked, this series order to,
this @Alexioos95 guy seems to be will informed
here is the link to the order he mentioned
[url=]https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=2154867&id=70853056[/url].

this is all the information you need,

[edit:- will never mind, i didn't scroll down, and commented with reading the comments, seems like he already posted]
Yeshaiah2015yeshMay 5, 1:00 AM
May 5, 1:16 AM
Sep 2023
1.fate stay night ( 2006 ) - bad animation not by unfotable but recommended
2. fate stay night unlimited bladeworks s1,s2
3. fate heavens feel movie trilogy
4. fate zero

note : you can watch fate zero before fate heavens feel movie but dont watch fate zero first

These are main fate series
May 5, 8:30 AM
Apr 2020
watch based on release date or chronological order, its your choice.
May 5, 9:10 AM
Feb 2022
Shadow__-Monarch said:

mann there are thousands of discussion for order just go read them why every now and then people start a new thread, sorry for being rude.
May 5, 9:15 AM

Jan 2017
saketsahu said:
why every now and then people start a new thread

Because what they have read before is utterly confusing, and they somehow expect it to be different when it's them who asks the question. Googling the order also leads to bullshit sites explaining nearly nothing, while also being wrong on top of that.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 5, 9:22 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Alexioos95
saketsahu said:
why every now and then people start a new thread

Because what they have read before is utterly confusing, and they somehow expect it to be different when it's them who asks the question. Googling the order also leads to bullshit sites explaining nearly nothing, while also being wrong on top of that.
@Alexioos95

Or maybe they are too lazy to check the previous threads asking the same thing.
May 5, 9:42 AM

Jan 2017
JoeChip said:
Or maybe they are too lazy to check the previous threads asking the same thing.

Yeah, that too. But to be fair, even in those threads, every user reply with a different order than the one of the previous post, and little to none of them has any kind of explanation...
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 5, 9:48 AM

Mar 2024
I would advise starting with a visual novel (Fate Stay/Night), because its the original and the plot, characters and the author’s idea are better revealed there, then watch Fate Zero, Unlimited Blade Works (by Ufotable) and Fate Heaven Feel trilogy. Other works, are optional imo, including Ataraxia.
May 5, 11:06 AM
Mar 2023
u can go with
1: Fate /stay night 2006
2: Fate/stay night unlimited blade works 2 seasons
3: Fate/stay night Heaven feels 1,2,3
4: Fate/zero 2 seasons
and this is all for the main story line.
May 5, 4:01 PM
Dec 2015
Watch Fate Zero and UBW by Ufotable. The rest are optional expansions.
May 6, 11:21 AM
Sep 2020
edit: it's really fine either way, imo. If you can't decide, just flip a coin.

the way you worded your question, I'd start with Zero. You get a lot of the lore and mechanics that UBW leaves out (bc it assumes you've already watched Zero). Also there's various events in UBW that just don't have much meaning, if you haven't seen Zero.

that said Zero is a much heavier, deeper, and darker show that has some really messed up stuff. So if you want something lighter, start with UBW.
akatsukinolunaMay 6, 11:28 AM
May 6, 11:55 AM

Jan 2017
akatsukinoluna said:
that UBW leaves out (bc it assumes you've already watched Zero).

That's actually not the reason.

The lore and real mechanics of the Holy Grail War were not hidden in the UBW Route because they expected you to have watched Zero beforehand, but because it's part of the mystery and confusion intended. In case you are not aware, Zero was written 2 whole years after the release of the Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel, which contained the 3 Routes (Fate, UBW & HF). UBW also was adapted into a Movie by Deen before Ufotable even started to work on the adaptation of Zero, and it's not different in that aspect.

The reality of the Holy Grail War is gradually explained through the second half of the Fate and UBW Route, and is a central point of HF. All Zero does, is presenting these infos directly, without covering them under the fog of mystery (which makes them direct spoilers).

Edit : And to add one more thing; in the end, of the Holy Grail War is only the pretext of the story. The focus is not on the war itself, but on the characters taking part in that war. That's one of the critic Stay Night often got back then, and which is why Zero was praised for actually using the setting literally.

akatsukinoluna said:
Also there's various events in UBW that just don't have much meaning, if you haven't seen Zero.

Aside of the cameo of the professor, there is none. All the events are either callbacks to the Fate Route (which you are supposed to have already completed), related to the story of UBW, or are hints for HF (which you are supposed to experience right after).
Alexioos95May 6, 11:59 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 6, 9:30 PM

Jun 2021
Watch fate zero first, everybody else is sabotaging you I wish I had watched zero first
May 7, 2:09 PM
Feb 2021
Shadow__-Monarch said:

1. Fate/stay night (Main route)
2. Fate/Zero (Prequel, plays 10 years earlier to Fate/stay night)
3. Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works Prologue
4. Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works
5. Fate/stay night Heaven‘s Feel I, II and III

You can decide to watch Fate/Zero first instead of Fate/stay night, but that‘s not recommended.

As for the routes (put them at the bottom since I personally consider it a spoiler):

- Fate/stay night focuses Saber.
- Fate/stay night UBW focuses Tohsaka Rin.
- Fate/stay night HF focuses Sakura Matou.
May 7, 2:22 PM

Jan 2017
caspiano said:
Watch fate zero first, everybody else is sabotaging you

The sabotaging is actually done by those recommending Zero first. It goes against what the 2 Authors intended, and completely ruin all the slow-burn mystery, which is the main aspect of the Fate/Stay Night trilogy of story.

MythL1ght said:

Why watch Zero in-between the Routes ? It doesn't makes much sense, be it about the flow of the overall story, or the spoilers.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 7, 4:51 PM
Sep 2020
Alexioos95 said:
akatsukinoluna said:
that UBW leaves out (bc it assumes you've already watched Zero).

That's actually not the reason.

The lore and real mechanics of the Holy Grail War were not hidden in the UBW Route because they expected you to have watched Zero beforehand, but because it's part of the mystery and confusion intended. In case you are not aware, Zero was written 2 whole years after the release of the Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel, which contained the 3 Routes (Fate, UBW & HF). UBW also was adapted into a Movie by Deen before Ufotable even started to work on the adaptation of Zero, and it's not different in that aspect.

The reality of the Holy Grail War is gradually explained through the second half of the Fate and UBW Route, and is a central point of HF. All Zero does, is presenting these infos directly, without covering them under the fog of mystery (which makes them direct spoilers).

Edit : And to add one more thing; in the end, of the Holy Grail War is only the pretext of the story. The focus is not on the war itself, but on the characters taking part in that war. That's one of the critic Stay Night often got back then, and which is why Zero was praised for actually using the setting literally.

akatsukinoluna said:
Also there's various events in UBW that just don't have much meaning, if you haven't seen Zero.

Aside of the cameo of the professor, there is none. All the events are either callbacks to the Fate Route (which you are supposed to have already completed), related to the story of UBW, or are hints for HF (which you are supposed to experience right after).

I should have been clearer in my comment. I took at face value that the OP was asking for anime only, and had no interest in the DEEN adaptations. (That happens to also be the way I encountered the series). If that's not the case, then certainly the VN is the way to go (though for myself I would still anime first, bc I'd be way too grumpy about adaptation issues otherwise). I am aware of the release order.

Also my statement about "assuming that you'd already watched Zero" was only meant in the sense that the ufotable UBW adaptation assumed its viewers were already familiar with Zero (or of course the VN). Certainly UBW as a route doesn't expect Zero, since UBW predates it.

Wrt events not having meaning - from the frame of reference I mentioned (anime only, Zero and ufotable UBW only) - I disagree. Stuff like
, etc, would all have had way less meaning to me.

Anyway outside of the very narrow frame of reference, I agree with you. I just don't think that's what the OP was asking for.
May 7, 5:36 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to caspiano
Watch fate zero first, everybody else is sabotaging you I wish I had watched zero first
@caspiano I agree. Fate fans really like to exaggerate how complicated the watch order is. There's no perfect starting point for anime onlies. Just watch Fate/Zero; it's a good introduction to newbies since OP is asking for better understanding to enjoy Fate, and Zero is a prequel to the main core of the series. 

KushnaMay 7, 6:01 PM
May 7, 10:22 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Alexioos95
caspiano said:
Watch fate zero first, everybody else is sabotaging you

The sabotaging is actually done by those recommending Zero first. It goes against what the 2 Authors intended, and completely ruin all the slow-burn mystery, which is the main aspect of the Fate/Stay Night trilogy of story.

MythL1ght said:

Why watch Zero in-between the Routes ? It doesn't makes much sense, be it about the flow of the overall story, or the spoilers.
@Alexioos95

Well I did it and I enjoyed it. It doesn‘t matter if you watch Fate/Zero before or after Fate/stay night mate. It‘s not that deep.
May 7, 10:45 PM

Jan 2017
akatsukinoluna said:
and had no interest in the DEEN adaptations.

Well, that's the problem.

If you remove the (adaptation of the) starting point of the whole franchise, then there obviously will be things that will have way lower impact and/or importance in the continuations; absolutely nothing surprising. The list you made under that spoiler button can be narrowed to only 2 elements once we add the context of the Fate Route, and they are revealed only later, in HF. (To be fair, the Movies skipped a lot of content, so i'll add : "or even later in the Animes; in Zero".)

MythL1ght said:
Well I did it and I enjoyed it. It doesn‘t matter if you watch Fate/Zero before or after Fate/stay night mate. It‘s not that deep.

Sure; there is a lot to enjoy in the Fate Series, no matter the order you watch/read it. When to experience Zero does matter tho, and it is actually pretty deep, as it touch how to do storytelling.

The thing that will irks most people is the spoilers. Zero spoils the 2006 Anime and the Heaven's Feel Movies, and touch a few points of UBW, but you learn of the main lines of Zero, including its end, through the 2006 Anime and UBW. That's all these spoilers shenanigans that keep feeding the debates on the order, even 2+ decades after the original release of the Visual Novel. With your order, you took double punishment. You knew the key revelations of HF AND Zero. That's how the majority of Anime-onlies experienced it too, as that's how they were aired, but now that the series is complete, there really is no need to put Zero in the middle (and that's without talking about the gradual crescendo of the development of the themes and tone that was originally intended).
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 16, 2008

83 by FedeMetal »»
May 5, 6:50 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DaBigD - Oct 3, 2008

137 by FedeMetal »»
May 1, 6:08 PM

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Apr 23

30 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 27, 10:20 AM

» Why do people consider 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime bad?

zckfox - May 13, 2023

45 by chevalierkraken »»
Apr 25, 10:10 AM

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.