Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever given up on major passions in your life?

New
May 1, 8:57 AM

Apr 2012
Have there been any passionate hobbies or favorite areas of entertainment in your life that you have now gotten rid of? Why did this happen and is there any way you would like to regain interest or even direct involvement in it?

For example, if I just remember with nostalgia my passion for Pokemon or dinosaurs, which I gradually moved away from due to age, I still regret that I stopped playing the guitar for quite a long time due to life problems. I still have a guitar and my interest in music is still more or less intact, but I still can’t motivate myself to even just pick up an instrument. I even arranged to take music theory and keyboard lessons from my mother, but I still remain in limbo. As it turned out, it’s even easier to motivate me to do sports again than to return to music.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 9:00 AM

Jul 2013
I used to love video games...but I had to give up on them, due to financial reasons...
May 1, 9:05 AM
Dec 2022
That is me with my old passion for B-Flat clarinet. I cannot play that instrument anymore.
May 1, 9:06 AM

Feb 2020
I gave up on Pro Wrestling in about 2007-8, as that's when my favourite promotion (Frontier Wrestling Alliance) folded and I was genuinely devastated, would even say maybe depressed because of it (probably a bit of a stretch though). I just couldn't find another promotion that I loved as much as that one, and just couldn't seem to enjoy wrestling as much, and still feel that way even now a little.
I would sometimes glance at TNA if I found it on, but it wasn't until late 2010 that I noticed a promotion running shows close to where I lived at the time (literally within walking distance), and I went to one I found that I really enjoyed it, and have been watching and attending shows again since then.

Also I stopped trainspotting for a time, as it was considered in my country to be an act of terrorism. But thankfully that nonsense ceased and I picked it up again.
May 1, 9:10 AM

Sep 2016
I gave up on certain games that are based on shitty endless farming concept.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 1, 9:14 AM

Mar 2023
I gave up on superhero comics books years ago when the stories got to "fanficy" for me.
May 1, 9:16 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Spunkert
I gave up on superhero comics books years ago when the stories got to "fanficy" for me.
@Spunkert Could you clarify what you meant? Did it seem to you that they became too much like fulfilling the wishes of some individual fans?
May 1, 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Spunkert
@Spunkert which comics did you follow btw???
May 1, 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Spunkert
@Spunkert which comics did you follow btw???
May 1, 9:27 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
@Spunkert Could you clarify what you meant? Did it seem to you that they became too much like fulfilling the wishes of some individual fans?
@RobertBobert

Yes that and the wish fulfillment of the writers.

@DesuMaiden Marvel and DC.
May 1, 9:31 AM

Oct 2009
Not sure I would call anything I have as a passion but I tend to go hot and cold with various hobbies. Sometimes I watch a ton of anime, other times I watch hardly any at all. Ditto with video games, sports and running. What I would say is it is never too late to restart.
May 1, 9:34 AM

Aug 2018
I've always wanted to be an astronomer or something similar.
May 1, 10:51 AM

Feb 2018
Hmmm i guess i gave up on the childish dream of being a rockstar or astronot. But realistically, i had decided for a long time that i wanted to get into design industry.

May 1, 11:02 AM

Jan 2023
Playing the Trumpet and gaming I guess, I quit trumpet due to sheer burnout after several years while gaming is just slowly dying out for me.
May 1, 11:05 AM

Aug 2014
If you give it up, it isn't a major passion. Simple as that.
May 1, 11:06 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to SmugSatoko
@SmugSatoko thanks for pointing out...
May 1, 11:38 AM

May 2013
I used to draw.

Eventually I had to come to terms with after 10+ years of practice and effort I never made anything that was worth existing so it was better to just stop. If you spend as much time and energy as I had on it and had nothing to show for it then that is a waste of life.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
May 1, 11:39 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Nette
I used to draw.

Eventually I had to come to terms with after 10+ years of practice and effort I never made anything that was worth existing so it was better to just stop. If you spend as much time and energy as I had on it and had nothing to show for it then that is a waste of life.
@_Nette_ so what are you doing now??? Just curious???
May 1, 11:45 AM

May 2013
Reply to DesuMaiden
@_Nette_ so what are you doing now??? Just curious???
@DesuMaiden

Small creative projects when I get an itch.

My current one I am dragging my feet on is a video essay on a gay furry VN. I also have a larger project I am in the planning phase of but who knows if that will come to fruition.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
May 1, 11:51 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Nette
@DesuMaiden

Small creative projects when I get an itch.

My current one I am dragging my feet on is a video essay on a gay furry VN. I also have a larger project I am in the planning phase of but who knows if that will come to fruition.
@_Nette_ i wish you the best of luck on it!!!
May 1, 12:30 PM

Jan 2022
I spent so much time on so many things, only to get passively mocked for it in the end.
May 1, 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to LenRea
I spent so much time on so many things, only to get passively mocked for it in the end.
@LenRea things like what??? Please tell us....
May 1, 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to SmugSatoko
@SmugSatoko Things happen. I have a friend who was literally obsessed with the guitar, but then it just became an occasional hobby for him due to constant family and personal problems. I also had a moment where I barely watched anime for about four years due to fatigue and burnout, even though it is one of the main interests of my entire life.
May 1, 2:09 PM

Jul 2013
You guys ever played ps vita??? It is good.
May 1, 2:12 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DesuMaiden
You guys ever played ps vita??? It is good.
@DesuMaiden I've never had one, but I was thinking about buying a used one at a flea market, since I've always been loyal to Sony.
May 1, 2:18 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to RobertBobert
@DesuMaiden I've never had one, but I was thinking about buying a used one at a flea market, since I've always been loyal to Sony.
@RobertBobert what games are you gonna buy for it???
May 1, 2:23 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DesuMaiden
@RobertBobert what games are you gonna buy for it???
@DesuMaiden When it comes to any Sony console, the first thing that interests me is Crash Bandicoot, Tekken/Soul Calibur and the possibility of any ports from the first 2-3 generations. For example, having Burnout Revenge or Monster Hunter would be nice.
May 1, 5:09 PM

Nov 2019
Wanted to be an anime content creator but there's no point, very hard to make a living doing that bc it's competitive
May 1, 5:45 PM

May 2022
I gave up art for like 4 years from 2019-2023 because I realized how crappy my drawings were and decided to stop for 4 whole years.

Back then I was sometimes considered the best in my class at drawing, but up until around 2019 my friends started improving their art skills at a rapid pace, making my art look like complete garbage. I paid closer attention to my art and realized how absolute awful it was compared to everyone else's and decided to quit for 4 years instead of improving on my skills.

So now I basically lost out on 4 years of potential improvement for my art, and am only starting to get back into the hobby now. I think I'm a little good at art now after improving for a few months. Though I'm still 4 years of experience behind all my other artist friends.
May 1, 7:00 PM

Jun 2016
Reply to DesuMaiden
I used to love video games...but I had to give up on them, due to financial reasons...
@DesuMaiden You...pay...for games?!
If it's about "supporting muh developers" then games actually worth playing are $5-$10 on Steam and playable on your 2012-era laptop that you mentioned in other threads. Many even have native Linux support.
May 1, 11:19 PM

Feb 2020
Hmm, I guess not. Nothing comes to my mind right now.
May 1, 11:30 PM

Sep 2018
Closest thing I can say to that is soda since I am getting older. I have quit playing an instrument after highschool though that was more so for a class.
May 1, 11:36 PM

Aug 2014
RobertBobert said:
Things happen. I have a friend who was literally obsessed with the guitar, but then it just became an occasional hobby for him due to constant family and personal problems. I also had a moment where I barely watched anime for about four years due to fatigue and burnout, even though it is one of the main interests of my entire life.

An occasional hobby is a minor passion, regardless of circumstances. If you are truly passionate about something, you will find a way.
May 1, 11:42 PM

Aug 2022
I used to drink gallons of coffee at a time.

Now I drink gallons of peppermint tea at a time.
Soldier F is Lance Corporal David James Cleary
May 1, 11:52 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I don't usually give up on any. More so just change my priorities I guess, There's always something new I want to learn.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 2, 1:50 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to SmugSatoko
RobertBobert said:
Things happen. I have a friend who was literally obsessed with the guitar, but then it just became an occasional hobby for him due to constant family and personal problems. I also had a moment where I barely watched anime for about four years due to fatigue and burnout, even though it is one of the main interests of my entire life.

An occasional hobby is a minor passion, regardless of circumstances. If you are truly passionate about something, you will find a way.
@SmugSatoko This is an extremely naive view of things. So many things can literally break you, destroying any desire in you even for the most important things in your life. That doesn't make them any less significant. It's like saying that you can cure any disease, and if you can't, then "you just don't really want to."
May 2, 1:53 AM

Feb 2010
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden i'd look into indie games. most the "triple a." sorry i mean "quadruple a." titles are money scams nowdays.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 2, 1:56 AM

Aug 2014
RobertBobert said:
This is an extremely naive view of things. So many things can literally break you, destroying any desire in you even for the most important things in your life. That doesn't make them any less significant. It's like saying that you can cure any disease, and if you can't, then "you just don't really want to."

I mean, with the exception of being physically handicapped or something, what I said is true.

Passion = desire. Without desire, there is no passion. Something can be a past passion, after all.
May 2, 2:09 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to SmugSatoko
RobertBobert said:
This is an extremely naive view of things. So many things can literally break you, destroying any desire in you even for the most important things in your life. That doesn't make them any less significant. It's like saying that you can cure any disease, and if you can't, then "you just don't really want to."

I mean, with the exception of being physically handicapped or something, what I said is true.

Passion = desire. Without desire, there is no passion. Something can be a past passion, after all.
@SmugSatoko If you are forced to refer to your own opinion as the truth, then it is clearly not objectively so. Desire is not an ultimate thing in a vacuum. A lot can influence this and destroy your personality and interests, even if it has been a part of your soul and life since childhood. So using the excuse “you just don’t want it that bad” is extremely naive in this case.
May 2, 2:24 AM

Aug 2014
RobertBobert said:
If you are forced to refer to your own opinion as the truth, then it is clearly not objectively so.

...What? Two plus two equals four. That is a fact. Saying something is true does not make it untrue.

Desire is not an ultimate thing in a vacuum. A lot can influence this and destroy your personality and interests, even if it has been a part of your soul and life since childhood. So using the excuse “you just don’t want it that bad” is extremely naive in this case.

Nothing you said negates anything I said. If you lack the desire, then it is no longer a passion, even if it was a passion in the past. This is very easy to understand and I'm not sure what you're not comprehending here.
May 2, 2:30 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to SmugSatoko
RobertBobert said:
If you are forced to refer to your own opinion as the truth, then it is clearly not objectively so.

...What? Two plus two equals four. That is a fact. Saying something is true does not make it untrue.

Desire is not an ultimate thing in a vacuum. A lot can influence this and destroy your personality and interests, even if it has been a part of your soul and life since childhood. So using the excuse “you just don’t want it that bad” is extremely naive in this case.

Nothing you said negates anything I said. If you lack the desire, then it is no longer a passion, even if it was a passion in the past. This is very easy to understand and I'm not sure what you're not comprehending here.
@SmugSatoko Exactly. Because if you have to resort to arguments like “this is the truth” or “this is obvious,” it means that what you said is not so obvious that you had to insist on it. It's like people insisting that they won an argument when they realize that their victory in the argument doesn't seem obvious to others.

You are now trying to change your original position. It didn't start with you trying to be Captain Obvious by declaring that "if you no longer have a passion, then it's a past passion," but with you directly stating that if a person could give up a passion, then it was not his main passion. Which is indeed a very clear logical fallacy of “you just didn’t want it bad enough.”
May 2, 3:02 AM

Aug 2014
RobertBobert said:
Exactly. Because if you have to resort to arguments like “this is the truth” or “this is obvious,” it means that what you said is not so obvious that you had to insist on it. It's like people insisting that they won an argument when they realize that their victory in the argument doesn't seem obvious to others.

No...I was telling you that I was right even if you don't understand it, and pointing out that nothing you said proved me wrong.

You are now trying to change your original position. It didn't start with you trying to be Captain Obvious by declaring that "if you no longer have a passion, then it's a past passion," but with you directly stating that if a person could give up a passion, then it was not his main passion. Which is indeed a very clear logical fallacy of “you just didn’t want it bad enough.”

You're just misinterpreting me. There is a difference between a casual interest (or what you may call a minor passion) and a major passion. The latter is not something you willingly give up, even if you have to postpone it due to circumstances. It's only something you would give up if you had no other choice, like an athlete losing their limbs. "Wanting it bad enough" is what a major passion is.
SmugSatokoMay 2, 3:05 AM
May 2, 3:10 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to SmugSatoko
RobertBobert said:
Exactly. Because if you have to resort to arguments like “this is the truth” or “this is obvious,” it means that what you said is not so obvious that you had to insist on it. It's like people insisting that they won an argument when they realize that their victory in the argument doesn't seem obvious to others.

No...I was telling you that I was right even if you don't understand it, and pointing out that nothing you said proved me wrong.

You're just misinterpreting me. There is a difference between a casual interest (or what you may call a minor passion) and a major passion. The latter is not something you willingly give up, even if you have to postpone it due to circumstances. It's only something you would give up if you had no other choice, like an athlete losing their limbs. "Wanting it bad enough" is what a major passion is.
@SmugSatoko Regardless of whether you consider yourself right and how objectively it is, using this as an argument in a dispute is considered bad form.

And I called this extremely naive, because you are now using the literal “you just didn’t want it that bad,” which is one of the most striking examples of such a logical fallacy as “belief in a just world.” Life is not as simple and logical as you think.
May 2, 3:13 AM

Aug 2014
RobertBobert said:
Regardless of whether you consider yourself right and how objectively it is, using this as an argument in a dispute is considered bad form.

But I didn't use it as an argument. It was a side comment, in addition to my argument.

And I called this extremely naive, because you are now using the literal “you just didn’t want it that bad,” which is one of the most striking examples of such a logical fallacy as “belief in a just world.” Life is not as simple and logical as you think.

This isn't as complex as you think. If you give it up willingly, then it is a casual interest, not a major passion. "Wanting it badly" is the very thing a passion is! Disagree? Then prove me wrong.
May 2, 3:16 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to SmugSatoko
RobertBobert said:
Regardless of whether you consider yourself right and how objectively it is, using this as an argument in a dispute is considered bad form.

But I didn't use it as an argument. It was a side comment, in addition to my argument.

This isn't as complex as you think. If you give it up willingly, then it is a casual interest, not a major passion. "Wanting it badly" is the very thing a passion is! Disagree? Then prove me wrong.
@SmugSatoko You supported your opinion with this when I did not agree with it.

You started with "you just didn't want it that bad" and now you're trying to put the burden of proving your thesis on me? No, man, it's best for us to end this dialogue right here and now, before it gets lost in more sophistry.
May 2, 3:20 AM

Aug 2014
RobertBobert said:
You supported your opinion with this when I did not agree with it.

So I agree with myself. Big whoop.

You started with "you just didn't want it that bad" and now you're trying to put the burden of proving your thesis on me?

Passion = wanting it badly. I have explained this to you multiple times now.

The fact that you gave up playing guitar means you were not truly passionate about it. If you were passionate about it, you would be playing it frequently. (Assuming your body still works.) Simple stuff.

No, man, it's best for us to end this dialogue right here and now, before it gets lost in more sophistry.

Of course, because you can't prove me wrong.
May 2, 3:30 AM

May 2013
Yep shit I was gonna becum a dope graf artist. But it never came to be.

The few times I tagged it was with RASTA SYMBOLOGY!!!
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 2, 9:13 PM

Jun 2014
Funny, I had a lot of the same interests as you, OP.

I was into dinosaurs and Pokémon and lost interest in both.

I still enjoy creative writing, but I have been feeling discouraged lately. I'm not an avid reader, which is a requirement for all good writers. I'm also in a rut with my novel. I just find the project to be overwhelming and lacking direction.
May 3, 3:21 AM

Apr 2020
Pro wrestling. I once loved it the same way I do Anime. But it has become the exact opposite of what I loved before. Long gone are the creative story-lines and larger than life characters, and it's now filled with people who wants to make everything "real". It basically feels like Youtuber content now; more real life drama/beef, less actual content.

I also got so into JRPG games for a while but I got tired of linear stuff and, since most of JRPGs stories are linear, I can't enjoy it as much anymore, except for a first playthrough.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
May 3, 3:29 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I have been forced to give up gaming due to work and manga/ln reading. Sold my games and PS4 way back. Real life caught up to it when I got my first job.
Also used to watch wrestling and baseball but gave wrestling up since it turned cringe and can't find where to watch baseball anymore. Not shown in this country.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» There's a tomato among us (•ิ_•ิ)?

tsukareru - 3 hours ago

6 by Serafos »»
39 minutes ago

» What does your username mean?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

42 by tsukareru »»
44 minutes ago

» How much IQ points do you lose when you interact with people in real life?

LenRea - Yesterday

19 by ST63LTH »»
2 hours ago

» I might be going away for awhile

The-Nsider - Yesterday

18 by ST63LTH »»
2 hours ago

» Oddly specific thing in your house that isn't really hurting you but it's super annoying to deal with?

StrawberryBlxxd - Yesterday

15 by ST63LTH »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.