Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 1, 5:00 AM
Apr 2023
So I found this movie very boring when I watched it. It felt very much like a remake of weathering with you. So is it only me or did you also think there are too many similarities between suzume and weathering with you. And i thought there was no romance at all on this one. Should I re-watch it just to be sure, did I miss something and if you guys can tell me some of the facts or metaphors that might help me enjoy the movie when I watch it again. Thank you
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 5:13 AM
Dec 2021
I don’t know about it feeling like a remake but Makoto Shinkai movies all feel more or less the same to me.
This one had way less romance than usual though. Instead it focused on the fantasy/mythology aspect.

May 1, 5:19 AM
Jun 2023
less romance and i got bored and dropped it in between,,, it felt same as previous movies like weathering with you , your name and The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes.
May 1, 5:39 AM
Dec 2022
your name was the only movie that had impact on me (it was my first movie of the author). i mostly watched all his other movies after that.
and they are all the same, I'll just go for the animation, and songs.
Yeshaiah2015yeshMay 1, 5:44 AM
May 1, 5:50 AM

Nov 2019
I think the modern films Makoto Shinkai directs tend to appeal more or less to a particular demographic that watch for the art style.

It also doesn't help when a lot of these series take place in a similar universe so they're bound to be connected whether its the storylines, characters etc.
May 1, 5:52 AM
Oct 2019
Why would they remake a movie released 2 years ago? Who is also an original? It's not like by some magic a source material will appear out of thin air.
May 1, 5:59 AM
Apr 2023
this is my most fav anime of all time
May 1, 6:00 AM

Dec 2021
I thought it was more of a remake of Children Who Chase Lost Voices, except Suzume took itself less seriously and had a nice road trip vibe (probably for the better too - I hated CWCLV haha)

I think the reason why it's rated so high is that it was a lot of new anime fan's first time seeing a Shinkai movie be released (at the cinema, I mean). I admit, I am one of those people xD It's okay if you didn't like it. I think it's probably more focused on the mother-daughter aspect which is why the romance isn't as fleshed out as some of Shinkai's other works.
May 1, 6:00 AM

Dec 2021
Shinkai films are only visually appealing. The rest of it is the same repetitive formulatic crap
May 1, 6:03 AM

Jan 2023
I remember hearing somewhere how Suzume is about Japan’s geography and awareness about environmental disasters i.e. earthquakes, while I personally believe Tenki no Ko to be about the results and consequences of one’s own decisions.

But yeah, they all or at least the majority of MS’s movies feel really similar to one another. I don’t know about a remake though.
May 1, 6:05 AM
Nov 2023
Rishon007 said:
Shinkai films are only visually appealing. The rest of it is the same repetitive formulatic crap

your name was the only one that had a good story
May 1, 6:10 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to ZeStark
Rishon007 said:

Story is a big maybe if we consider the meaning behind it, but goodness the romance is awful and the characters have zero personality or backbone to them.
May 1, 6:21 AM

Dec 2021
ZeStark said:
Rishon007 said:

yh, I agree, your name was decent
May 1, 7:25 AM

Sep 2016
Who would you put on trial for "crimes against anime"

IKKIsama said:
Makoto Shinkai.

Crime: always makes the same movie.

Punishment: be strapped to a chair, his eyes clamped open, and forced to watch his own movies for 24 hours.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 1, 7:34 AM

May 2018
Aren't all Shinkai's movies the same though? The only thing he is good at is painting. He is a terrible storyteller and he is unable to create good characters. Basically, his characters are just static cardboards installed in his art exhibition.
No idea how y'all fans distinguish one movie from another.

May 1, 7:48 AM
Nov 2021
cool animation go boom and ost go bang rest is yawn material thou the final moments where suzume let go of her past is cool and thats pretty much it i guess i didnt really focus on the romance thou
May 1, 8:07 AM
Nov 2023
I think all shinkai movies are the same. I just like them for the stunning visuals.
May 1, 8:26 AM
Nov 2023
Nemo_Niemand said:
Aren't all Shinkai's movies the same though? The only thing he is good at is painting. He is a terrible storyteller and he is unable to create good characters. Basically, his characters are just static cardboards installed in his art exhibition.
No idea how y'all fans distinguish one movie from another.

and also the exact same art style lol, yeah it's beautiful but they all look the same ffs have so creativity at least
May 1, 9:12 AM
Mar 2022
Zarutaku said:
Who would you put on trial for "crimes against anime"

IKKIsama said:
Makoto Shinkai.

Crime: always makes the same movie.

Punishment: be strapped to a chair, his eyes clamped open, and forced to watch his own movies for 24 hours.

That wouldn't be a punishment at all
May 1, 9:21 AM

Aug 2018
It's so formulaic, and the ending sucks. The romance feels forced, but at least the talking cat thingy was cute.
May 1, 10:17 AM
Mar 2024
suzume was mid weathering w you is PEAK
May 1, 11:12 AM
Jul 2023
far_technology27 said:

exactly bro I loved it weathering with you, maybe even more than your name
May 1, 11:13 AM
Mar 2024
SSRSyt said:
far_technology27 said:

Ngl weathering w you blew your name out of the water for me💀 only anime movie that I’ve liked more than it is a silent voice
May 1, 11:15 AM
Jul 2023
far_technology27 said:
SSRSyt said:

Ngl weathering w you blew your name out of the water for me💀 only anime movie that I’ve liked more than it is a silent voice

tbh almost all the movies of this author are great I don't understand why people be hating like I understand that suzume has lesser romance but it wasn't bad 💀
May 1, 11:20 AM
Mar 2024
SSRSyt said:
far_technology27 said:

tbh almost all the movies of this author are great I don't understand why people be hating like I understand that suzume has lesser romance but it wasn't bad 💀

Only one I didn’t like is 5cm, I know other people enjoyed it but it just felt unnecessarily depressing to me even though I get that it’s realistic or whatever… but I liked IWTEYP so who knows lol
May 1, 11:29 AM
May 2023
Yeshaiah2015yesh said:
your name was the only movie that had impact on me (it was my first movie of the author). i mostly watched all his other movies after that.

what about 5CM per sec... by same author... impact is even greater than Kimi no nawa
May 1, 11:35 AM
Jul 2023
far_technology27 said:
SSRSyt said:

Only one I didn’t like is 5cm, I know other people enjoyed it but it just felt unnecessarily depressing to me even though I get that it’s realistic or whatever… but I liked IWTEYP so who knows lol

bro ik I'm gonna sound weird for this but I didn't understand what was going on in 5cm per second... maybe I will watch an explanation video and see it again but I was confused on even if the characters in the 3 parts are the same people cause they looked different
May 1, 11:38 AM
Mar 2024
SSRSyt said:
far_technology27 said:

bro ik I'm gonna sound weird for this but I didn't understand what was going on in 5cm per second... maybe I will watch an explanation video and see it again but I was confused on even if the characters in the 3 parts are the same people cause they looked different

Nah I get what you mean😂like she was just randomly thrown into the story to show that bro couldn’t move on then the other girl moved on without him anyways
far_technology27May 2, 7:36 AM
May 1, 11:39 AM
Dec 2022
King_Abhi said:
Yeshaiah2015yesh said:

what about 5CM per sec... by same author... impact is even greater than Kimi no nawa

i haven't yet to watch that one. my list is as piled up as it is. in this summer holidays I've keep completing animes and keep adding them like sequel's, my watching list was at 128 before summer and I've completed 20+(not including weekly aring one's)animes roughly so far and my watching list got to 126, and my plan to watch got 90+.
May 1, 11:39 AM
Mar 2024
SSRSyt said:
far_technology27 said:

But yeah it was a completely different girl in the middle part idk it was weird
May 1, 11:42 AM
Jul 2023
far_technology27 said:
SSRSyt said:

fr bro, but people keep telling me to watch it again so I might but I think we might need a jujutsu Kaisen narrator for this typa stuff 💀
May 1, 12:11 PM
Mar 2024
SSRSyt said:
far_technology27 said:

fr bro, but people keep telling me to watch it again so I might but I think we might need a jujutsu Kaisen narrator for this typa stuff 💀

Hahahah I’m weak, but yeah personally I’m never rewatching it I don’t even want to understand it💀🙏
May 1, 4:46 PM
Apr 2023
I don’t know where you got that comparison from sure it’s done by the same Director but they’re completely different stories and I do believe they share a same timeline but I could be wrong. The timeline goes as your name weathering with you and then Suzume.
May 1, 6:05 PM
Jun 2023
Idk I absolutely loved the 3
May 1, 6:50 PM
Jul 2021
it's perfect, no need for remake
May 1, 7:10 PM

Jan 2023
Reply to SSRSyt
far_technology27 said:
SSRSyt said:

From what I remember from the movie, the manga and my own personal analysis, I believe that the second girl that appears later on is an extension of us the audience in order to see the dilemma that Takaki is going through from an outside perspective and how it's a painful realization of the bittersweetness of time. It plays a role in reinforcing the general theme of distance and fleeting memories, an inevitability of life that no one is spared from.

Admittedly, the later chapters do get iffy with Kanae and her whole shtick, but I took it away as a reminder to not dwell on the past because it hinders one's progression forward and outlook towards the future. It's like getting your foot stuck in something and struggling to get it out, it'll stay that way unless you put in the effort in an attempt to pull free.
BitChillyMay 1, 7:13 PM
May 1, 8:50 PM
Jul 2023
far_technology27 said:
SSRSyt said:

Hahahah I’m weak, but yeah personally I’m never rewatching it I don’t even want to understand it💀🙏

fr even idk if I can watch it again even tho it's a short film 💀
May 1, 10:03 PM

Feb 2020
This is completely different

May 2, 1:46 AM
Apr 2023
Those who are complaining about Makoto Shinkai's Movies are just MORONS, You all don't appreciate the movies he makes, You only think his movies are great bcoz of their visual aspect and that he draws them well and lacks story and romance. Romance is it not his main goal in his movies, he just wants to convey different message in different movies.

Have you all notice the details or the situations the story is based on. He had shown the movies with so many things Such as Conflicts, Weather, Time, Space, Disasters, Etc. Every movie is unique in its own way, has a different plots, Different character i really don't know why you people say its repetitive

And Why you all can't take a bitter sweet end or Sad ending. That's how the reality is its not always Sweet, funny and Wholesome. and this is one of the things i love about Makoto Shinkai's Movies

Highlighting the base plots of the movies i watched and understood

1) Voices of a Distant Star :- This movie base plot is space, Life other than Earth
Genres :- Action, Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi
2) Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place :- This movie base plot is Human Conflict
Genres :- Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi
3) 5 Centimeters per Second :- This movie base plot is Long distance relationship and moving on
Genres :- Drama, Romance
Thing i Got from this movie is to accept the flow of your life no matter how hurt your own feeling. You have to let go and move forward
4) The Garden of Words :- This movie base plot is Age Gap
Genres :- Drama, Romance
The Love between a Teacher and Student is said to be forbidden by many rules and the people who are against it as they thinks its morally disgrace and is not right.
The main thing i got about the movie is that no matter who you love if that person is younger or older than you or have age gap between them. People are going to call names and are always against someone elses happiness
5) Your Name :- This movie base plot is Time Travel, Mind Swapping, Faith of Destiny
Genres :- Drama, Supernatural
I know many are saying it a romance anime but its not. Sure they have feeling for each other. Even the plot looks like a romance but the whole point of the movie is to show them how they met not how they fell for each other while swapping their minds and starts to develop feeling for each other. I personally also thinks its an romance type movie but not a romance genre
6) Weathering with You :- This movie base plot is Disaster, weather (Just as the Title suggest)
Genres :- Drama, Fantasy, Romance
The whole plot was about sunshine girl. How she controls sunshine and goes through experiencing many hardships, sacrifice, exploring love, and the impact of human actions on the environment and the backdrops they face because of them
7) Suzume :- This movie base plot is Disaster, (Earthquake)
Genres :- Adventure, Fantasy
This movie shows the unintentional participation of Suzume in the event and then leads to country or the world saving situations and also the person she admires and then eventually starts to like. The backstory is somewhat tragic or sad. Again this movie doesn't have any romance in it so stop considering it as an romane and the getting dissapointed

EVERY MOVIE BY MAKOTO SHINKAI ARE UNIQUE AND HAS ITS OWN PLOT, STORY, ETC. IF YOU DIDNT LIKE IT THATS FINE JUST DONT INSULT HIS WORK. MOST OF YOU DONT EVEN HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IS TO WRITE A STORY AND HOW TO START AND END IT. NOW MANY CAN EVEN MAKE A SENTENCE LET ALONE PARAGRAM ON YOUR OWN AMD LET ALONT THE WHOLE SCRIPT OR STORY.
May 2, 1:54 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to sailaway30
I don’t know where you got that comparison from sure it’s done by the same Director but they’re completely different stories and I do believe they share a same timeline but I could be wrong. The timeline goes as your name weathering with you and then Suzume.
@sailaway30 yeah you can say that as confirmed by Makoto Shinkai himself. Like its a trilogy of them as they all 3 got some natural disaster involved with them
Your name - Meteor shower
Weathering with you - Weather, rain,etc
Suzume - Tremors, Earthquake

Although Fans like to call it a Shikaiverse
May 2, 1:56 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to SSRSyt
far_technology27 said:
SSRSyt said:

@SSRSyt sorry but am confused about this part
SSRSyt said:
the characters in the 3 parts are the same people cause they looked different
what you mean by 3 parts?

Also want to Highlight that Suzume doesn't have a romance plot in it. Its mainly focus on Disaster management. I know it does somewhat feel like romance but its not.
Even both MAL & IMDB doesn't have its genre as a romance in it.
May 2, 1:59 AM
Jul 2023
TrickyHunter0506 said:
SSRSyt said:

Also want to Highlight that Suzume doesn't have a romance plot in it. Its mainly focus on Disaster management. I know it does somewhat feel like romance but its not.

the movie was divided into 3 chapters I really loved all the other movies of this guy but 5 centimeters per second was a fit confusing for me, so I had recently watched flavours of youth which was also a movie with 3 parts but it showed the story of 3 different people. so I watched 5 centimeters per second and I was just confused cause I didn't understand if the characters thought the 4 chapters were the same or not as they looked different so overall I didn't get it sadly but I will probably give it another try after seeing an explanation video
May 2, 2:13 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to SSRSyt
TrickyHunter0506 said:
SSRSyt said:

the movie was divided into 3 chapters I really loved all the other movies of this guy but 5 centimeters per second was a fit confusing for me, so I had recently watched flavours of youth which was also a movie with 3 parts but it showed the story of 3 different people. so I watched 5 centimeters per second and I was just confused cause I didn't understand if the characters thought the 4 chapters were the same or not as they looked different so overall I didn't get it sadly but I will probably give it another try after seeing an explanation video
@SSRSyt i get what you mean by that, they are actually 3 stages of Toono Takaki's Life

Part 1:
This part focuses on the childhood friendship between Takaki Tōno and Akari Shinohara.
It Shows the beginnings of their feelings for each other, and their separation due to Takaki's family moving away.

Part 2:
In this part, Takaki is now a high school student, and is going through adolescence, still struggling to move on from his feelings for Akari but also meets new people and experiences new things

Part 3:
The final part where Takaki is a young adult, working as a programmer and still haunted by his past.
He Tries to find closure and meaning in his life, as he regrets on the choices he's made and the paths he didn't take.

This is the best i can explaining you in a short summary. But if you want i can go into little more details
May 2, 2:16 AM
Jul 2023
TrickyHunter0506 said:
@SSRSyt i get what you mean by that, they are actually 3 stages of Toono Takaki's Life

Part 1:
This part focuses on the childhood friendship between Takaki Tōno and Akari Shinohara.
It Shows the beginnings of their feelings for each other, and their separation due to Takaki's family moving away.

Part 2:
In this part, Takaki is now a high school student, and is going through adolescence, still struggling to move on from his feelings for Akari but also meets new people and experiences new things

Part 3:
The final part where Takaki is a young adult, working as a programmer and still haunted by his past.
He Tries to find closure and meaning in his life, as he regrets on the choices he's made and the paths he didn't take.

This is the best i can explaining you in a short summary. But if you want i can go into little more details

yo thanks, I will try to watch it Again after my exams
May 2, 2:18 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to SSRSyt
TrickyHunter0506 said:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

yo thanks, I will try to watch it Again after my exams
@SSRSyt its my pleasure. Glad to help
May 2, 5:58 AM
Jan 2021
I see where you’re coming from and I kinda agree. Makoto shinkai has lot of romance involved that’s really just copy and paste. But something that feels different about this movie is the even deeper inclusion of fantasy than Your Name or Weathering With You. I hope this trend of more fantasy continues in his movies and we get to a studio Ghibli point of another world. It’d be cool if he’d show other forms of love like platonic, family love.
May 2, 6:08 AM

May 2009
I thought it was fantastic. Not dissimilar to weathering with you but I mean, when you've got scifi/supernatural phenomena happening alongside romance, it's probably going to seem similar. Thoroughly enjoyed both and now I'm a fan boy of the director.

.[We Are The Ocean]. - "Nothing Good Has Happened Yet"
May 2, 2:13 PM
Jun 2014
Jackson_rajkumar said:
So I found this movie very boring when I watched it. It felt very much like a remake of weathering with you. So is it only me or did you also think there are too many similarities between suzume and weathering with you. And i thought there was no romance at all on this one. Should I re-watch it just to be sure, did I miss something and if you guys can tell me some of the facts or metaphors that might help me enjoy the movie when I watch it again. Thank you

This film does have the least romance I’ll agree with that but, this was also the movie where makoto focused more on the disaster aspects of his films, I watched a great YouTube video going through this trilogy, I found it very informative ❤️❤️
May 3, 6:20 AM
Mar 2021
hey its a mythological fantasy adventure.not romance u idiots don't act like shitheads......other animes are oly abt rms n time trvl but this one is,adventure drama abt mother and doughter or cat and kitten its epic mythological story abt cat gods and curses , shrines in forest mountains in japan and their cilture ......this movie is all abt suzume n her lonely life without mother.....not a romance thingy alright
Anime Rules the world
May 7, 6:16 PM
Jul 2023
i haven't watched weathering with you yet so I can't really judge based on that but I heard weathering with you is a good movie do you guys advice me to watch it
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Feet and shoes in the film

trvekvlt666 - 8 hours ago

11 by Rhae »»
47 minutes ago

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

42 by BroodEagle »»
May 11, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Suzume no Tojimari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shikkakku - Nov 11, 2022

344 by Mayonert »»
May 5, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Next natural disaster?

mechian - Apr 15, 2023

6 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:55 PM

» Serizawa's car and his playlist

kintups - Mar 10, 2023

16 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.