Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 27, 7:44 PM

Feb 2010
i've seen almost nonstop gripping from anime only fans of the old anime complaining about them having to do season 1 again.
let me explain as a LN reader.

1. they skipped an entire volume. last time so there would be confusion if they just decided to continue without addressing that. so you will be getting new content soon calm down. season 1 and 2 of the old anime was made at a time where novels and manga plot lines were often thrown into the bin by executives.
2. they added a character that didn't exist at all and altered plot points of seasons 1. purple hair girl never existed.
3. it's been years so often studios find that starting a new is better for getting an audience then just skipping off to new grounds where everyone is left confused.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 27, 7:49 PM
Sep 2010
Thank you for the clarification. Do you consider anime-onlys can watch both back to back without being too confusing? Or maybe just finish one to proceed to the new adaptation?
Apr 27, 7:51 PM

Feb 2010
Reply to C9StarFOX
Thank you for the clarification. Do you consider anime-onlys can watch both back to back without being too confusing? Or maybe just finish one to proceed to the new adaptation?
@C9StarFOX just watch the new one old one will cause more confusion like the old full metal alchemist did when brotherhood came out.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 27, 7:59 PM

Jul 2015
There is no more Chloe, so we can assume it will be more faithful to the source material.
Also, the presence of Myuuri in the first scene directly implies, that we may have full adaptation, because I really doubt it was just a cameo Easter egg.
The only thing that was significantly better in original (so far) is the ED. I always adored that cute, childish song.
PiromyslApr 27, 8:08 PM

Apr 27, 8:10 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
4. Those old anime only fans forgot that this world doesn't revolve around them. The author and the studio don't have an obligation to listen to them, most of them were watching it for free anyway~

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 27, 8:23 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Piromysl said:
There is no more Chloe, so we can assume it will be more faithful to the source material.
Also, the presence of Myuuri in the first scene directly implies, that we may have full adaptation, because I really doubt it was just a cameo Easter egg.
The only thing that was significantly better in original (so far) is the ED. I always adored that cute, childish song.

Huh, for me it's the OP. Tabi no Tochuu is legitimately one of my all time favorites, I absolutely adore that song.

Apr 27, 11:01 PM

Nov 2019
GrimAtrament said:

2. they added a character that didn't exist at all and altered plot points of seasons 1. purple hair girl never existed.

Imagine someone who never existed has more characters and raison d'être under her sleeves than that merchant guy in a remote village who's struggling to stay afloat on stage. I'd conduct that trade all the time.
SgtBateManApr 28, 4:07 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 28, 6:15 AM
Feb 2020
C9StarFOX said:

I would say finish one then the other. I love the new one more but the og is still very much worth watching
Apr 29, 2:07 AM
Jan 2018
After all this it would be little bit funny if they skip the same volume again
Apr 29, 5:47 AM
Jul 2020
Is it easier to be more direct:

To sum it up, both the old anime and the manga are garbage adaptations.

The new one isn’t.

This is, so far, possibly the single most deserved and NECESSARY remake alongside Fruits Basket.
Apr 29, 11:10 AM

Feb 2008
The cut the giant snake arc.
I will never forgive them.
Apr 29, 1:13 PM

Apr 2012
I wasn't familiar with the old show's cuisine, but since I liked it enough, I hope they can create an equally good show while keeping all the things that the old show ignored.
Apr 29, 4:14 PM
Feb 2024
Rand_al-Thorfinn said:
Piromysl said:

Huh, for me it's the OP. Tabi no Tochuu is legitimately one of my all time favorites, I absolutely adore that song.

I would say Tabi no Tochuu is not *significantly* better than the new OP, especially considering Hana Hope actually recorded an English version for the English dub. They convey two entirely different emotions, the old one being more bittersweet and longing rather than the new version's optimism and sense of impending adventure.
Apr 29, 5:00 PM
Feb 2024
GrimAtrament said:
i've seen almost nonstop gripping from anime only fans of the old anime complaining about them having to do season 1 again.
let me explain as a LN reader.

1. they skipped an entire volume. last time so there would be confusion if they just decided to continue without addressing that. so you will be getting new content soon calm down. season 1 and 2 of the old anime was made at a time where novels and manga plot lines were often thrown into the bin by executives.
3. it's been years so often studios find that starting a new is better for getting an audience then just skipping off to new grounds where everyone is left confused.

Wasn't it skipped because the LN wasn't finished yet, and the later relevance of this skipped volume wasn't readily apparent? I remember hearing something to that effect somewhere.
Apr 29, 8:05 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Paulternative said:
Rand_al-Thorfinn said:

I would say Tabi no Tochuu is not *significantly* better than the new OP, especially considering Hana Hope actually recorded an English version for the English dub. They convey two entirely different emotions, the old one being more bittersweet and longing rather than the new version's optimism and sense of impending adventure.

For sure, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the new op as well. I think both songs really manage to fit the same wistful vibe which is really cool in my opinion.

Apr 30, 3:04 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to SgtBateMan
GrimAtrament said:

Imagine someone who never existed has more characters and raison d'être under her sleeves than that merchant guy in a remote village who's struggling to stay afloat on stage. I'd conduct that trade all the time.
@SgtBateMan Don't pretend you wouldn't have preferred the older version either way (I mean even if the old were faithful and the new made an "unnecessary" change).
Apr 30, 4:31 AM

Jun 2015
Reply to Piromysl
@Piromysl One option requires like 100 episodes to happen (from Passione, at that) and the other one sounds absolutely like something they'd do. So yes, I don't know why you'd look at that and doubt it's just a fanservice-y cameo.
Apr 30, 5:24 AM

May 2022
But.. But i liked chloe...
Apr 30, 6:29 AM
Aug 2021
Reply to Unowen
@Piromysl One option requires like 100 episodes to happen (from Passione, at that) and the other one sounds absolutely like something they'd do. So yes, I don't know why you'd look at that and doubt it's just a fanservice-y cameo.
@Unowen I mean have you seen the amount of Holo figures and spin-offs Spice & Wolf has, I can't imagine they'd stop for budget reasons (Not to mention how dialogue heavy it is it probably doesn't need to much) - There are VR games, this series is more than profitable so that'd only leave dumb executive decisions. Also Passione was behind that shit Higurashi remake/reboot thing and for as bad as it was they still matched the number of episodes from the original (Which is somewhere around the 50 mark) so if it's successful enough for them it wouldn't surprise me really if they continue releasing seasons (and I sure hope they do)
Apr 30, 6:37 AM

Jun 2021
Tabi no Tochuu was a much better OP. It still gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it 😬 I wish they would've kept it and I wish they would've adapted parchment and wolf. Hope this adaptation does justice, although the 2008 version was a banger already
Apr 30, 8:14 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Nirinbo
@SgtBateMan Don't pretend you wouldn't have preferred the older version either way (I mean even if the old were faithful and the new made an "unnecessary" change).
@Nirinbo But I do prefer the original installments and those "unnecessary changes" were the best gifts ever presented to the audiences (despite the source material being amongst my favourite). It portrayed 'perspective' and 'imagination'.
SgtBateManApr 30, 8:27 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 30, 2:33 PM
Jul 2015
So far i love the new adaptation. However if you watch for example episode 5 of the new and old anime, they are basically the same. And i don't mean plotwise, they basically copied the episode. This felt like what gaming is doing with the remasters of games. But i guess if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
May 8, 4:50 PM
Dec 2015
So this is a reboot that's more canon? Should I skip the original for this then?
May 8, 5:59 PM
Dec 2014
Reply to Antivist64
So this is a reboot that's more canon? Should I skip the original for this then?
@Antivist64 More canon yup. I'd say still try the original, different experiences and the OST of the OG is very nice, especially the S1 intro which is just divine. The thing to keep in mind is that this may be the FMAB to FMA were they may be aiming for a full adaptation. And if so, it could be quite long, possibly going for 85-90+ episodes. The beginning of EP 1 suggests it may. The other thing, we don't know how the part that will cover s2 of the OG anime will be, the part that was cut could be used instead of the volume they replaced.
May 8, 6:36 PM
Jan 2022
Thanks for explaining the reason, now it's clear🤝
May 8, 7:01 PM

Oct 2018
As a big 'Ah Megami-Sama' fan I can appreciate the need to redo things from the start. AMG's TV series ignored the older 5 episode OVA for the sake of starting fresh with a more manga accurate adaptation of the story, so I can appreciate Spice & Wolf doing a similar type of reset of the anime canon in this remake version.
May 8, 9:35 PM

Jun 2008
I'm just happy to see Holo again

May 9, 7:30 AM
May 2019
So why didn't they just say (especially in the description) that this was a reboot? That would have eliminated a lot of confusion and griping.
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

93 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
2 minutes ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

29 by access_flash »»
1 hour ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 11 hours ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

50 by Scootboi »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.