Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 27, 1:51 PM
Feb 2019
I have social anxiety and a phobia of people, but I really liked komi. I know it isn't accurate at all, but I liked it because it was escapism. Plus, you don't need a sad back story to have social anxiety, komi like me was probably just born with social anxiety.

also, you should probably watch watamote. I think you would like it more.
Apr 27, 2:23 PM
Sep 2019
I agree, but I don't think that's always the worst thing. Like March Comes in Like a Lion portrays a range of mental health issues in a much more realistic manner, but it's also more niche because of that. Komi is very imperfect, but raises awareness in a digestible way for more people. This show isn't the last time people will see or hear about social anxiety, but it might prime them to look at it from a more receptive place in the future
Apr 27, 5:07 PM
Jun 2023
Fischer77 said:
First, most people with social anxiety aren't the hottest girl in school that everyone wants to talk to. Second, if you're awkward in social settings you're not magically going to get a massive friendgroup and become popular lmao, Komi has pretty privilege off the charts. She doesn't even have a reason to by shy, she just is, would it kill the author to give her a decent backstory?

Why couldn't the series make the protagonist someone ugly and genuinely show their struggles and the mental battles they face at trying to make friends? Komi literally gets everything handed to her with no struggle which makes it all feel so fake and unrealistic. Author clearly wanted to make a cute girl do cute things. Typical waifu bait trash.

….its suppose to be a light-hearted comedy romance thing. Not some gorey mental health issue.
AND ITS AN ANIME!! Maybe Komi just isn’t your “likings”
Apr 27, 8:05 PM
Jan 2021
MiladyRukia said:
ptero93 said:

no, "SA" is most commonly used to refer to sexual assault šŸ˜¬

Are you a child? Given the context, it's quite obvious what it means

no shit. I'm saying you probably shouldn't in the future. Just because I can tell what it means here doesn't mean doesnt mean everyone will every time you use that abbreviation
Apr 27, 8:13 PM
Jun 2022
Fischer77 said:
FutoiOtaku said:
Comment above says it just right. We want entertainment not a documentary on ugly kids being unpopular.

Yeah i forgot people rather watch trash waifu characters than actual compelling ones

yes because not everybody wants to do social services like you piece of shit. if you really want to help society go in Africa and take care of those hungry kids but please get the fuck off here.
Apr 27, 9:26 PM
Dec 2022
ptero93 said:
MiladyRukia said:

Are you a child? Given the context, it's quite obvious what it means

no shit. I'm saying you probably shouldn't in the future. Just because I can tell what it means here doesn't mean doesnt mean everyone will every time you use that abbreviation

I'm aware lol. thanks for your concern ig
Apr 27, 10:23 PM
Sep 2021
it's not meant to be a realistic represent of anything you dummy

it's literally just a silly romcom that uses social anxiety as a gimmick, people who criticize it for being unrealistic and not being a good representation are idiots who haven't gotten an idea what they're watching and can't sperate fiction from reality
Apr 28, 12:44 AM
Nov 2023
It’s a slice of life comedy, mostly targeted at early teens I think. As it generally is in cartoons things are simplified. Also Komi does not just get on with everybody from the jump, it’s made clear that she didn’t have friends and wouldn’t have any now if Tadano wasn’t patient and understanding with her. In the end it’s great there is japanese media talking about anxiety issues, since I don’t think there is a lot of it. So relax, it’s a light hearted comedy slice of life, if you want something heavier dealing woth paychological issues go watch Satoshi Kon or something
Apr 28, 9:01 AM

Apr 2020
number one : komi doesn’t have social anxiety, she has a communication disorder

number two : pretty people can still have social anxiety ??

number three : this isn’t meant to be a deep realistic series, it’s a comedy

number four : nobody needs a reason or backstory to have anxiety ??

number five : i struggle with communication and found komi relatable, if you are this dense then that is a genuine skill issue
Apr 28, 12:38 PM
Jul 2021
Fischer77 said:
First, most people with social anxiety aren't the hottest girl in school that everyone wants to talk to. Second, if you're awkward in social settings you're not magically going to get a massive friendgroup and become popular lmao, Komi has pretty privilege off the charts. She doesn't even have a reason to by shy, she just is, would it kill the author to give her a decent backstory?

Why couldn't the series make the protagonist someone ugly and genuinely show their struggles and the mental battles they face at trying to make friends? Komi literally gets everything handed to her with no struggle which makes it all feel so fake and unrealistic. Author clearly wanted to make a cute girl do cute things. Typical waifu bait trash.

Social anxiety from being “popular” exists
Apr 29, 6:10 PM
May 2022
Fischer77 said:

I agree lol, i don't really care if the show is not supposed to be realistic or convey a certain message, that doesn't take away from the fact that it does a horrible job at displaying social anxiety. This show could've been so much better if the author decided to actually write it in a realistic manner, with the attempt to convey a characterization of the average social anxious folk, their struggles and their thoughts and how it is possible to get over it through small communication steps or whatever he thinks would help improve social skills, and then implement these steps towards social improvement within the narrative and have the social anxious protagonist growing through them, exploring the struggles of social anxiety and the consequences that partake in not being able to take a risk to fight against the fear of the collective. I'm sure the author was socially anxious, i believe he could have crafted a great insightful story into social anxiety
Apr 30, 7:37 PM
Sep 2021
dude it's a rom com chill
May 2, 1:47 AM

Apr 2012
Fischer77 said:

Nobody wants realism in an industry like anime that's all about entertainment and escapism through FICTION. If you want representation in your show, then you'll find enough of that in Western entertainment that diluted itself with all the woke horsecrap you can find.

"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
May 2, 1:59 AM

Sep 2016
Now guess why I dropped this steaming pile of poop after 1st episode.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 2, 2:01 AM

Feb 2010
people deal with social anxiety differently. i know that with my anxiety i will often start chewing parts of my clothes or stress eating.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 2, 1:37 PM
Jan 2022
I mean it’s not just about komi’s social anxiety. Every single character introduced has some social anxiety because news flash: anxiety takes many forms. And I love that the main character with the WORST amount of anxiety to the point where she can’t bring herself to talk is amazing because it shows just having pretty looks doesn’t mean you have everything. You’re just fixating on the fact that it’s another pretty MC and not the many side characters that clearly show the many forms of social anxiety. And sometimes there isn’t some huge elaborate backstory as to why someone forms anxiety. It can just happen. Maybe just open your mind a little bit more.
May 14, 5:20 AM
Jul 2022
Anime definitely wasn’t going for realism. The social anxiety aspect isn’t the main focus of the show. It’s mostly abt “hot girl can’t talk funny”.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2021

129 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 10:05 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2021

114 by drizzle-midnight »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

219 by LIAV001 »»
Apr 21, 1:10 AM

» Why are all characters so shallow? ( 1 2 )

Argonnant - Nov 3, 2021

51 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 16, 2:59 PM

» Not very comedicā€¦ ( 1 2 )

sailorday- - Mar 1, 2022

87 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 16, 2:47 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.