Forum Settings
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 24, 9:40 PM
Apr 2024
what an emotional ending I can't express myself
Apr 24, 10:00 PM
Jul 2022
Can't lie, I teared up. What an unforgettable journey.
Apr 24, 10:18 PM

Jul 2023
absolutely stunning!

I know some others are a bit disappointed by the long drawn out epilogue, but honestly I respect the hell out of the decision to do that. I feel too often series are given maybe a chapter to really feel the finality and gravity of everything that's happened, whereas with this story we got to marinate with it for a dozen or so chapters
Apr 24, 10:44 PM
Aug 2016
What is it that you guys liked about the last chapters? Am i not getting something. When phos turned into that God-like thing I became completely lost and still am
Apr 24, 11:13 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to BthatTVK
The real land of the lustrous was the friends we made along the way 😃. But seriously, it's a beautiful ending. Phos is easily one of my favorite protagonists across any anime/manga.
@BthatTVK The gems inside the flowers were said to hold their own universes. And also at the end, Phos shattered again. These shattered pieces flew everywhere and Phos was tiny. I believe that the character on the bottom left is Phos in one of those flower universes and that comet is the larger Phos from the outside when she broke up. Truly beautiful, how everything is connected.
Apr 24, 11:22 PM
Mar 2023
the last chapter being named the same as the manga was an overkill for me, truly one of the best tales ever told

Apr 24, 11:27 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to RaidenHUN
Am I the only one who extremely disappointed with this ending?

Phos sacreficed everything for the rest of the gang yet he was betrayed by everyone both Lunarians, Adamant and the Gems.... While they enjoyed themselves she suffered alone on Earth.

By the end she was left alone and this is the end?
She wasn't able to keep her promise, wasn't able to make up with anyone or even revenge for what happened to her...

This is just sad and extremely unsatisfying ending.
@RaidenHUN This manga is in that gray area between a good ending and the dark, everybody dies and the main protagonist turns evil at the end. This results in that dissatisfaction. But imo that is why many like this ending. That disappointment where the ending is in the gray area gives the whole story its uniqueness.

Phos finally has gotten peace, but she definitely deserved better, it hits you in:

"The sensation described as a combination of unease, disquiet, and perhaps even a touch of existential discomfort. It's that feeling when a story resonates deeply within you, stirring up emotions and thoughts that challenge your perceptions or touch upon raw, unexplored aspects of human experience. This sensation can leave you feeling unsettled yet captivated, as if the story has peeled back a layer of reality to reveal something uncomfortably true. Some might call it the "uncomfortable truth" effect or the "chilling resonance" of a narrative."
-Chat GPT describing my thoughts better.

Apr 24, 11:31 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Reffman
Can someone explain the ending to me? What are the gems in the flowers? Also what exactly happened to Phos and why is she a rock again? Who's head is that in the comet scene? So many questions with so little context
@Reffman The gems inside the flowers were said to hold their own universes. And also at the end, Phos shattered again. These shattered pieces flew everywhere and Phos was tiny. I believe that the character on the bottom left is Phos in one of those flower universes and that comet is the larger Phos from the outside when she broke up. Truly beautiful, how everything is connected.
Apr 24, 11:32 PM
Mar 2023
PacificNebula said:
@BthatTVK The gems inside the flowers were said to hold their own universes. And also at the end, Phos shattered again. These shattered pieces flew everywhere and Phos was tiny. I believe that the character on the bottom left is Phos in one of those flower universes and that comet is the larger Phos from the outside when she broke up. Truly beautiful, how everything is connected.

I believe that the comet is the Phos who had disintegrated with earth and later became a comet, along with the earth particles to roam around space and time, and the other tiny part of the Phos (with no human influence) which broke again when Phos hit one of the gems inside the flowers is the one wishing that the comet she became would brighten up someone's day
Apr 25, 4:42 AM
Oct 2014
It was so peak I've cried.
Apr 25, 7:48 AM
Aug 2018
i love this manga so much
Apr 25, 8:41 AM

Feb 2018
Pretty good, but it still feels wrong how Phos was treated by everyone, especially the old gems, I wouldn't really ask for Phos revenge arc but some sympathy from others would be nice. I guess the journey was what really mattered in the end.

Apr 25, 9:16 AM

Sep 2013
I was always curious how the story would have turned out if Phos had at least one friend who wouldn't betray her. If Cairngorm had been with her, or someone else.
Apr 25, 9:38 AM

Jan 2013
One of the only manga that got me feeling that much, plenty of strong emotions too
Will never forget it
Apr 25, 10:13 AM
Mar 2022
Sayonara phos🥹🥲
Apr 25, 11:39 AM
Aug 2013
Every thing became a mess after Phos became a prayer.

I don't even get the last chapter, and what is the purpose of the eye? This final arc was weird.

Can someone explain the last chapter?

Dropped from 10/10 to 9/10

Still one of my most favorite mangas
Apr 25, 2:07 PM
Jan 2018
I honestly don't know what to feel, like, the ending was a bit underwelming?? Maybe because I'm a dumbass. I will re-read everything again soon and then baybe I can express my thoughts better.
Apr 25, 3:23 PM
Dec 2020
Well that was.... Underwhelming!!? Like I'm not gonna do a review tbh the whole thing needs reread 1st cos it lost me with these chapters cos of the so many hiatuses and delays and actually felt very pretentious at times, but still, it felt underwhelming overall.. I still like the idea of the series and I prefer the start of it more, and ofc, the "1st conclusion" was better imo I prefer if it was ended there rather than continuing with whatever we got.. But yeah I still appreciate the series.. Maybe what happened in previous ch, ch 107 with panels of disappearing Phos's is the best in this continuation and imo it could be nice ending it there instead maybe..

Well, 7.5 to 8/10 for now overall. We move until full reread someday, doubt it will rise above 8 even on reread due to my own preference reasons but yeah we move...
Apr 25, 4:51 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Sad but beautiful ending... thanks for everything.
Apr 25, 5:12 PM
May 2021
It should have ended at chapter 98. everything after that was nonsense. we dont even end with phos but with admants brother?! what the heck kinda ending is that. i would have rather a) phos prayed and everyone including phos vanished or b)phos prayed but literally only she vanished as a final screw you to all the people she tried to help and left her to rot for 10 000 years.
Apr 25, 5:39 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to HidamariSou
I read this in 3 days. It was good. I can't imagine how it must have felt waiting years with multiple hiatuses for it to end.
@HidamariSou it felt like hell lmao, specially the 10k years hiatus
Apr 25, 5:40 PM
Oct 2019
def one of the best stories ever to be told
Apr 25, 8:31 PM
Mar 2023
I started this manga in November of last year, I didn't expect anything from it, it was an incredible surprise. I didn't realize it and it became my favorite manga.

This last chapter is too much up to the reader's interpretation, but that penultimate panel is simply beautiful.

Goodbye Houseki no Kuni, and thank you Ichikawa for writing this masterpiece
Apr 25, 8:49 PM
Feb 2024
this is my favorite series of all time, not just anime or manga but series. will forever be sad that ill not never get any more hnk content after this…but it would have to end at some point, thank you ichikawa for this suffering yet beautiful journey!!
Apr 25, 11:03 PM

Jan 2021
i think some part of me was hoping to see the gems one last time in any shape or form, i guess i STILL havent really accepted that EVERYONE is just gone forever, and now even phos.. i know this is meant to be an optimistic ending but i cant see it as anything other than sad and melancholic, but its still absolutely beautiful like the rest of the series

i just wish the last few chapters were longer/had more dialogue, i was kind of confused as well, but ill wait for the official release
Apr 25, 11:13 PM
Aug 2016
this manga is my all-time favourite and it has brought me so much comfort throughout the years. I am relieved it's over and that it ended like it did. I don't think it could have been any better. I am now going to read it all over again because I cannot let go </3
Apr 26, 8:07 AM

Apr 2021
Though the story largely lost my interest when the action moved to the moon, it makes me happy that a large scale out-of-the-box thing like this can survive without getting axed a third of the way through.
Apr 26, 3:31 PM

Oct 2010
it sure brightened my day
Apr 27, 4:10 AM

Feb 2022
The gold standard for Japanese fantasy. An ethereal beauty.

Thank you Ichikawa.
Apr 27, 10:05 AM
Apr 2021
I personally would've ended the series a couple of chapters ago, but it was alright! I'm pretty emotional about this awesome series finally ending, what a ride.
Apr 27, 11:13 AM
May 2020
Land of the άστους
Apr 28, 2:45 PM
Mar 2020
this manga is truly one of my favorite stories of self-actualization and forgiveness. It in the end was Truly Beautiful thank you Haruko Itchikawa
Apr 28, 3:13 PM

Jun 2017
Had to read this a few times after it dropped to fully understand it. So profound. Great conclusion.
May 2, 9:58 PM

Nov 2019
What a beautiful end to a fantastic series. Now it's time to re-read the entire thing.
May 3, 8:04 AM

Jun 2016
12 years for this story... the author probably think very hard how to end this good. and because of that it is worth it.

its 9/10 for me
May 3, 1:49 PM

Mar 2016
I truly don't know what to say yet. This manga means a lot to me, as does this ending. Ichikawa has something special. Congrats to making it to nothingness, everyone!

May 3, 5:13 PM
Jan 2021
land of the lustrous was a phenomenal manga that had an amazing story, characters and developments and I'm truly gonna miss it. my girl phos stopped suffering and has become a comet to spread joy across the world. I will miss you Land of the lustrous!
May 3, 9:13 PM
May 2017
Beautiful ending for a truly one of a kind series. Well done Ichikawa, your masterpiece will live on in the hearts of many
May 4, 1:22 PM
Jan 2020
Can't say I remember half of what happened in the middle of this series. But the ending definitely stuck with me. Great read.
May 5, 4:08 AM

Apr 2015
Wow, I honestly don't know how to process that ending. It's by all means, a beautiful and poetic ending. Phos can shine eternally now, The last few chapters were incredibly thought provoking and while the ending certainly wasn't the best, I feel like with the way things were going, This is the best outcome Ichikawa Sensei could've come up with. Thank you for making this beautiful series, It truly was unique.
May 8, 7:03 AM

Jan 2019
Fly high and bright Phos! What a ride!
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
May 8, 5:47 PM

Mar 2019
This was one of the most astonishing mangas I've read in my life, it doesn't even seem like the same story as the beginning but it was a great journey filled with all possible emotions, I hope Phos has found his peace. 💎
May 10, 10:44 AM

Aug 2018
Such a stunning and beautiful way to end it.

Truly one of the best manga I've read, truly the Land of the Lustrous.
May 19, 3:57 PM

Sep 2018
While I'm satisfied with how it ended... I just wish Phos could've met everyone again. A perfect ending for me would've been if, after Phos disintegrates by being swallowed by the sun, we had a panel (like the second to last page of this chapter) with Phos "meeting" (symbolically) the others in nothingness/in the other universe/in their new lives, free of their past grievances.
May 22, 2:01 PM
Aug 2023
10000 years of ps5/10
May 22, 2:13 PM
Feb 2020
peak. holy, peak. kino even. absolute cinema
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

May 2020
This had a really irregular release schedule(emphasis on "really"), so not me remembering everything down to the last detail, but I could say Phos was content with the way things ended, and that should be more than enough. 

One of a kind series tbh, and being rightful to be termed as universally beloved. Hope the author does enjoy her free time playing PS5 now:)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

6 by Amatsukaze24 »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

4 by Amatsukaze24 »»
May 22, 4:00 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2014

6 by Amatsukaze24 »»
May 21, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 107 Discussion

Snovia - Mar 24

37 by Paradokusu »»
May 19, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 84 Discussion

Dessssy - Nov 24, 2019

20 by Bdiah »»
May 16, 1:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.