Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 23, 9:13 AM
Mar 2010
I don't know for you, but I think that VN fan are often annoying about Fate 2006 by trashing it

The serie itself is very good except sexist Shirou and dated animation, but the VN fan said it's terrible because it mix the route, spoil and because of the animation.

Yes Fate 2006 mix the route, but back then in 2006 as multiples animation was just a fantasm, we were really happy to have some part of the other route, especially when the episode 14 is the best part of the serie and Caster arc have some really great animation moment.

In fact, a really faithful adaptation of Fate Route alone would have been really lacking because...

Fate 2006 is maybe inferior to the complete game but it's superior to Fate Route taken alone, because Fate route is just an introduction...

And most of the biggest spoil are in fact only hint and not really spoilers (I know many people who did not understood what it's spoiled back then)

A Fan even made a Fan edit removing all the original part that they recommand to newcomers even if this cut remove the

making in fact Fate 2006 worse than it was really removing some of its best part and giving false impression to these new fans.

Many of these VN fans (and many Ufotable fans sadly) refuse to accept that for that time, Fate 2006 was a very good anime who receive very good review (it was still above 8/10 on this site in late 2011 and was still in the top 200 in 2009),
Even the visual were praised because is the animation was not that great, it was still above average and the serie used many advanced lighting techniques who were rare back then (and became the norm around 2009) and looks very good on CRT screen( who were the norm back then).

In fact Fate 2006 is still the best anime introduction to FSN.

Fate Zero spoil FSN way more than Fate 2006 and the darker tone make Fate 2006 and UBW way less enjoyable for Fate zero fan.

UBW is the adaptation of the 2nd route and make poor introduction of some element (
) and also spoil some of Fate route key revelation (Saber identity by exemple).

Fate 2006 have been made at a time were FSN was still a niche game, it was made for newcomers and take its time to make a good introduction of each character, to create a mood of mystery about the identity of each master and actually for a newcomer, the hint about the other route just make them wanting know more about these routes.

plus as the 2 series have superior visual to Fate 2006, going back to 2006 after can be difficult.

Apr 23, 9:35 AM
Jul 2022
I think the argument applies to source fans in general not on specific anime lol
Apr 23, 9:47 AM

Feb 2016
I have yet to try Fate, but I suspect I would agree with you. 1 to 1 adaptations are impossible except for short, linear games such as Planetarian.
その目だれの目?
Apr 23, 9:56 AM

Sep 2018
The peopleI see saying skipping fate 2006 is fine are the ones who did not play the VN. I think fate 2006 is the best way to start the anime.
Apr 23, 10:12 AM
Feb 2021
chevalierkraken said:
I don't know for you, but I think that VN fan are often annoying about Fate 2006 by trashing it

The serie itself is very good except sexist Shirou and dated animation, but the VN fan said it's terrible because it mix the route, spoil and because of the animation.

Yes Fate 2006 mix the route, but back then in 2006 as multiples animation was just a fantasm, we were really happy to have some part of the other route, especially when the episode 14 is the best part of the serie and Caster arc have some really great animation moment.

In fact, a really faithful adaptation of Fate Route alone would have been really lacking because...

Fate 2006 is maybe inferior to the complete game but it's superior to Fate Route taken alone, because Fate route is just an introduction...

And most of the biggest spoil are in fact only hint and not really spoilers (I know many people who did not understood what it's spoiled back then)

A Fan even made a Fan edit removing all the original part that they recommand to newcomers even if this cut remove the

making in fact Fate 2006 worse than it was really removing some of its best part and giving false impression to these new fans.

Many of these VN fans (and many Ufotable fans sadly) refuse to accept that for that time, Fate 2006 was a very good anime who receive very good review (it was still above 8/10 on this site in late 2011 and was still in the top 200 in 2009),
Even the visual were praised because is the animation was not that great, it was still above average and the serie used many advanced lighting techniques who were rare back then (and became the norm around 2009) and looks very good on CRT screen( who were the norm back then).

Fate Zero spoil FSN way more than Fate 2006 and the darker tone make Fate 2006 and UBW way less enjoyable for Fate zero fan.

UBW is the adaptation of the 2nd route and make poor introduction of some element (

Fate 2006 have been made at a time were FSN was still a niche game, it was made for newcomers and take its time to make a good introduction of each character, to create a mood of mystery about the identity of each master and actually for a newcomer, the hint about the other route just make them wanting know more about these routes.

plus as the 2 series have superior visual to Fate 2006, going back to 2006 after can be difficult.

This doesn’t change that Fate 2006 is not much more than a mediocre anime
Apr 23, 10:50 AM
Oct 2019
chevalierkraken said:

Fate’s my favorite franchise without having read the VN. But even still I’d call the original 2006 Fate Mid at best. The animation is not good, and the year doesn’t matter because far better looking shows came out at the same time and before it. Story spoilers and where to start is always a touchy subject because I think it’s from person to person. I started FZ only because I heard it was good, but other people may want a chronological story, or want to see an adaptation of the OG Stay Night first and watch UBW. My friend got into Fate through Apocrypha because the other ones were too slow for him at first. It’s why so many, me included, want a Ufotable Fate route. Plus if it means anything, Shirou currently is my favorite anime protagonist. And it wast absolutely not because of the 2006 show. It was a combination of his Ufotable adaptations, VN readers telling me what he’s actually like, and all his other versions across the franchise adding up, but starting at 2006 did not give the best first impression.
Apr 23, 12:11 PM
Mar 2010
Reply to Sibs_Art
chevalierkraken said:

Fate’s my favorite franchise without having read the VN. But even still I’d call the original 2006 Fate Mid at best. The animation is not good, and the year doesn’t matter because far better looking shows came out at the same time and before it. Story spoilers and where to start is always a touchy subject because I think it’s from person to person. I started FZ only because I heard it was good, but other people may want a chronological story, or want to see an adaptation of the OG Stay Night first and watch UBW. My friend got into Fate through Apocrypha because the other ones were too slow for him at first. It’s why so many, me included, want a Ufotable Fate route. Plus if it means anything, Shirou currently is my favorite anime protagonist. And it wast absolutely not because of the 2006 show. It was a combination of his Ufotable adaptations, VN readers telling me what he’s actually like, and all his other versions across the franchise adding up, but starting at 2006 did not give the best first impression.
Sibs_Art said:
The animation is not good, and the year doesn’t matter because far better looking shows came out at the same time and before it.

actually, we can't really take 90's show as refrence because animation quality really downgraded when computer coloring started. In 2006, while some show looked better, there was way more that looked worse in fact.
only studio like Bones, Sunrise, Madhouse or Gainax had really better production values than Fate 2006 and even them were far from perfect (Code Geass and Black Lagoon TV airing had TV visual sometimes worse than Fate 2006).
Jcstaff and Gonzo anime had better visual but was way worse animation. Toei, Pierrot and other studio were below fate 2006 visual. And like I said, the lighting were impressive as no anime back then had them. even studio like Prod IG or Beentrain had worse visual (watch XXXholic, the visual are far below Fate 2006)

For 2006, Fate 2006 was a solid 7 for the visual. And I watched the serie during it's airing. The fact you started with Fate Zero many years after the airing of the show really false your impression about it.

Sibs_Art said:
but starting at 2006 did not give the best first impression.

but it give the best introduction of the character.
I have read the visual novel and Shirou is sexist in Fate Route too, the VN explain better why (He said that because he love Saber and just don't want her to be put in danger), but he still say sexist things.

And he is still naive as hell, because Fate Route is just mean to be his presentation of him and his ideal. it's UBW and Heaven Feel who make most of his dev.

except for better visual, with no complete rewriting of the character, a new Fate Route adaptation would not be better, because the first adaptation when she adapt Fate Route is very faithful to it and with no new content it would be very redondant with both Fate 2006 and UBW anime. (because the beginning of Fate and UBW are really similar and UBW anime included some Fate part in the adaptation to flesh Saber)
chevalierkrakenApr 23, 12:59 PM
Apr 23, 12:51 PM

Feb 2023
chevalierkraken said:

tldr, I just read first 2 lines, I don't know about the VN route and stuff but I still didn't like the anime, so much so that I never went ahead to watch the sequels
Apr 23, 12:59 PM
Mar 2010
Reply to WestOnAndrewAve
I think the argument applies to source fans in general not on specific anime lol
@WestOnAndrewAve
Fate 2006 receive many hate from fans. The offical reddit of the franchise recommand to skip it or at best watch the fan edit that remove all tge original content. And it also forbid post saying that in 2006, the reception of the serie was good because as a stand alone serie, the serie is good.
There is also tons of false thing said about it (by example that nasu was not involve in the writing while japanese wiki say he was more involve than into UBW serie) to mock it.
UBW serie don't receive as much hate
Apr 23, 1:04 PM
Mar 2010
Reply to MDR-
chevalierkraken said:

tldr, I just read first 2 lines, I don't know about the VN route and stuff but I still didn't like the anime, so much so that I never went ahead to watch the sequels
@MDR-
Actually, if you dislike Fate 2006 for other thing that visual, I don't think you would love UBW (Zero and Heaven feel are way darker), the core of the serie is similar.
Apr 23, 1:48 PM
Jul 2022
chevalierkraken said:
@WestOnAndrewAve
Fate 2006 receive many hate from fans. The offical reddit of the franchise recommand to skip it or at best watch the fan edit that remove all tge original content. And it also forbid post saying that in 2006, the reception of the serie was good because as a stand alone serie, the serie is good.
There is also tons of false thing said about it (by example that nasu was not involve in the writing while japanese wiki say he was more involve than into UBW serie) to mock it.

Sorry I meant source fans of all anime as well not just other fate shows. Like someone else said 1:1 is super hard and all they do is compare it like it matters.
Apr 23, 4:09 PM
Mar 2010
Reply to WestOnAndrewAve
chevalierkraken said:
@WestOnAndrewAve

Sorry I meant source fans of all anime as well not just other fate shows. Like someone else said 1:1 is super hard and all they do is compare it like it matters.
@WestOnAndrewAve
Many anime show adaptation are not seen as bad.
By exemple, few people complain about jojo, demon slayers or my hero academia adaptation.
And for Fate, Ufotable UBW adaptation by exemple don't receive that much hate and actually, Except for production values, I don't know why. The story is better because Unlimited blade Works is better than fate, it's not an adaptation problem.
And it's strange because even now the serie is mainly rated between 7 and 8 (while UBW is between 8 and 9), a rating in fact pretty good. But for the fan, it's terrible and everyone seen it as very bad.
Apr 23, 10:37 PM
Sep 2021
the adaptation sucks lol

" the only issue is sexist shirou " lol what a snowflake
Apr 23, 10:46 PM
Jan 2024
I am a VN fan and I prefer the Deen adaptation of Fate wow.
Apr 23, 11:06 PM

Jan 2017
chevalierkraken said:

That's true.

However, it does damage the overall puzzle by very strongly hinting, or even blalantly spoiling pieces you are not supposed to know at that point. Continuing the series, be it with the other adaptations, or with the Visual Novel, would already be a weakened experience.

chevalierkraken said:
A Fan even made a Fan edit removing all the original part that they recommand to newcomers even if this cut remove the [...] making in fact Fate 2006 worse than it was really removing some of its best part and giving false impression to these new fans.

His goal was to make it a little bit closer to the Visual Novel, by removing the pieces damaging the puzzle. You can be a fan of it, or not, but it's not a bad thing. And dunno how that gives false impression ? That's something Zero is more known for.

chevalierkraken said:

Most people nowadays watch.ed the Blu-ray/Remaster Episodes tho, which makes the visuals worse with the brightness and more clear drawings.

chevalierkraken said:
In fact Fate 2006 is still the best anime introduction to FSN. Fate Zero spoil FSN way more than Fate 2006 and the darker tone make Fate 2006 and UBW way less enjoyable for Fate zero fan.

I agree !

chevalierkraken said:
the reception of the serie was good because as a stand alone serie, the serie is good.

With the Visual Novel available, and even a full Anime adaptation nowadays, it shouldn't be taken as a stand-alone tho, and that's one of the major problem pointed out by the fans (without even talking about the comparison with Ufotable's takes for the normies)...

chevalierkraken said:

If i remember correctly, he really did not participate in the writing of the 2006 Anime.

We know from interviews that he was the one choosing the Voice Actors (with Takeuchi), and that he gave suggestions on how to split the story on 24 Episodes, but that's all. He liked a few concepts introduced in the Anime tho, like the Overedge of Archer, and deemed that adaptation as another possible Route, close to the Fate one.

I don't see how he could be more involved than how he was in UBW tho, he basically was the one directing everything, until he was pretty much side lined by Kondo because of his "I need to change that" syndrome...

Overall, the 2006 Anime is far from perfect, but i'm part of those who keep recommending it, because that's the best introduction we currently have in Animes. That's a little bit sad that the Visual Novel fans are too focused on the puzzle to realize that, and that the newcomers wants Ufotable more than anything...
Alexioos95Apr 23, 11:09 PM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 24, 12:45 AM
Dec 2022
as an anime only, and who just completed fate 2006 few weeks ago, without skipping a single ( like i usually do to all anime no matter how good or bad). i have to say it was pretty boring and most of the character ware better than the MC. he really didn't made any impact for me to watch the show. i just watched it because i have to. over all for a show at 2006 it was good.
but from today's perspective it's a waste of time, and completely agree it's mediocre not including animation, but as a story wise. now iam just waiting to see, that if it would pay offin in any way for watching (2006)fate/stay night, in the upcoming season
Yeshaiah2015yeshApr 24, 12:53 AM
Apr 24, 1:48 AM
Jul 2020
Thank you. I actually loved the feel of FSN 2006 way more than UBW and HF. And I loved the animation.
Apr 24, 2:05 AM
Mar 2010
Reply to Alexioos95
chevalierkraken said:

That's true.

However, it does damage the overall puzzle by very strongly hinting, or even blalantly spoiling pieces you are not supposed to know at that point. Continuing the series, be it with the other adaptations, or with the Visual Novel, would already be a weakened experience.

chevalierkraken said:
A Fan even made a Fan edit removing all the original part that they recommand to newcomers even if this cut remove the [...] making in fact Fate 2006 worse than it was really removing some of its best part and giving false impression to these new fans.

His goal was to make it a little bit closer to the Visual Novel, by removing the pieces damaging the puzzle. You can be a fan of it, or not, but it's not a bad thing. And dunno how that gives false impression ? That's something Zero is more known for.

chevalierkraken said:

Most people nowadays watch.ed the Blu-ray/Remaster Episodes tho, which makes the visuals worse with the brightness and more clear drawings.

chevalierkraken said:
In fact Fate 2006 is still the best anime introduction to FSN. Fate Zero spoil FSN way more than Fate 2006 and the darker tone make Fate 2006 and UBW way less enjoyable for Fate zero fan.

I agree !

chevalierkraken said:
the reception of the serie was good because as a stand alone serie, the serie is good.

With the Visual Novel available, and even a full Anime adaptation nowadays, it shouldn't be taken as a stand-alone tho, and that's one of the major problem pointed out by the fans (without even talking about the comparison with Ufotable's takes for the normies)...

chevalierkraken said:

If i remember correctly, he really did not participate in the writing of the 2006 Anime.

We know from interviews that he was the one choosing the Voice Actors (with Takeuchi), and that he gave suggestions on how to split the story on 24 Episodes, but that's all. He liked a few concepts introduced in the Anime tho, like the Overedge of Archer, and deemed that adaptation as another possible Route, close to the Fate one.

I don't see how he could be more involved than how he was in UBW tho, he basically was the one directing everything, until he was pretty much side lined by Kondo because of his "I need to change that" syndrome...

Overall, the 2006 Anime is far from perfect, but i'm part of those who keep recommending it, because that's the best introduction we currently have in Animes. That's a little bit sad that the Visual Novel fans are too focused on the puzzle to realize that, and that the newcomers wants Ufotable more than anything...
@Alexioos95
Actually, the japanese wiki of the serie give way more info about Nasu and Takeuchi involvment.

Nasu did not just made the suggestion to split the serie in 24 but chose how to split it, wrote de base story of every episode, take part of weekly episode reunion, fully wrote the original part.
In fact in fate 2006, there was no Kondo to say him "stop"

Actually, for each episode, each week, he made 2 base story and the main writer chosen which on to follow. Then the writer were writing the script.

And actually, it's explain why the dragon scene is here while realta nua was not released

And actually, in the japanese wiki, we also learn that Takeuchi was the one who create the original chara design not seen in the VN (he made a joke about the fact BDSM Sakura was his design but Nasu Kinoko idea)

The Deen version where Nasu was not involve was UBW movie because he was working on mahoyo back then.
He said the movie was good despite of the format limitation but would have loved better explaination.

For the edit that remove part of Fate 2006, the problem is that it's just make Fate 2006 worse. The best animated part of the serie and the best fights are original content.

By watching it, it maybe don't give you hint (that can make you wanting to know more, like a trailer), but it's just make Fate 2006 worse. Here is the false impression.

I give Fate 2006 a 7,5 rating, but without the original content, it would be only 6.
Without the original content, we just have a romance with 2 annoying characters unable to understand each over during 70% of the serie and way too much exposition(already in 2006 everybody was saying the first half was too slow and but it was to make a great second half).
Apr 24, 2:23 AM

Jan 2017
chevalierkraken said:
Nasu did not just made the suggestion to split the serie in 24 but chose how to split it, wrote de base story of every episode, take part of weekly episode reunion, fully wrote the original part.

Oh, indeed. I never heard of that Spiritual Artbook, so now i'm kinda curious about it.

Edit : In the Kara no Kyoukai interview, Nasu imply that he was almost not involved at all in the Tsukihime and Deen/Stay Night, tho (same when he did the interview for the Realta Nua port). As usual, there is this opaque filter in what the Authors says about their works, which makes it hard to discern the truthes.

chevalierkraken said:

I believe his re-write syndrome was not that huge back then, so i don't think it would have changed a lot, anyway.
But i admit that i'm scared of what he would have done to UBW and HF, if no one forced him to consider that the story was good like that...

chevalierkraken said:
By watching it, it maybe don't give you hint (that can make you wanting to know more, like a trailer), but it's just make Fate 2006 worse. Here is the false impression.

Maybe it makes it worse, but that's how it should be, if we include it as part of a larger series. I would not call it a false impression tho; that would even be the opposite.

Edit : Anyway, it was an adaptation from another era for Type-Moon, and if you look at other series adapting Visual Novels, they near all merge Routes too. There is no doubt that Novels have more room to make a better narrative, due to liberty of having lot of texts without feeling slow to the reader. I definitely wouldn't say no to a Remake of the Fate Route tho, especially if we get the Ufotable artstyle and animation, with the Last Episode made public ! So yeah, i'll keep recommending the 2006 Anime, even if it may irks other Visual Novels fans, or Ufotable normies.
Alexioos95Apr 24, 2:56 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Apr 24, 2:35 AM

Jan 2021
This is a pretty good show though. The music alone makes it worth a watch.
I might be biased because this was the first Fate anime I watched, but even after playing the VN, it remained up there for me.
Just cause it's not 1:1 doesn't make it terrible.
Apr 25, 9:50 AM
Mar 2010
Reply to Alexioos95
chevalierkraken said:

Oh, indeed. I never heard of that Spiritual Artbook, so now i'm kinda curious about it.

Edit : In the Kara no Kyoukai interview, Nasu imply that he was almost not involved at all in the Tsukihime and Deen/Stay Night, tho (same when he did the interview for the Realta Nua port). As usual, there is this opaque filter in what the Authors says about their works, which makes it hard to discern the truthes.

chevalierkraken said:

I believe his re-write syndrome was not that huge back then, so i don't think it would have changed a lot, anyway.
But i admit that i'm scared of what he would have done to UBW and HF, if no one forced him to consider that the story was good like that...

chevalierkraken said:

Maybe it makes it worse, but that's how it should be, if we include it as part of a larger series. I would not call it a false impression tho; that would even be the opposite.

Edit : Anyway, it was an adaptation from another era for Type-Moon, and if you look at other series adapting Visual Novels, they near all merge Routes too. There is no doubt that Novels have more room to make a better narrative, due to liberty of having lot of texts without feeling slow to the reader. I definitely wouldn't say no to a Remake of the Fate Route tho, especially if we get the Ufotable artstyle and animation, with the Last Episode made public ! So yeah, i'll keep recommending the 2006 Anime, even if it may irks other Visual Novels fans, or Ufotable normies.
Alexioos95 said:
In the Kara no Kyoukai interview, Nasu imply that he was almost not involved at all in the Tsukihime and Deen/Stay Night, tho (same when he did the interview for the Realta Nua port)

actually, I assume it's because some of his ideas were rejected in Deen stay night.
The first one was the full original story about Shielder who got rejected by Yuji Yamaguchi because he was a Saber fan and he said most of the peoples wanted Saber as heroine and then the writers staff retained his second proposition for the script about the series and not the first(following only Fate Route), because they thought Fate route alone would not be enough for the audience.

he was behind the final version of the serie, but it was not what he wanted at first. So it was still frustrating.

but I want to point that in fact, one of the reason they shifted to UBW during the production of UBW serie is because during early stage of the writing, Kondo and Nasu felt it was way too similar to Fate 2006 and the FSN manga and they didn't want to be redondant. So I assume Deen decision was right (and we can assume a Fate route faithful adaptation by Ufotable will never happen because a new adaptation will be made with heavy rewriting)

Alexioos95 said:
Maybe it makes it worse, but that's how it should be, if we include it as part of a larger series.

actually, not really, the writer team of the serie have written the serie to be seen with the added part, they did not include content who had made shine some character in Fate because it would have been redondant or had contradict some of the UBW content present in the serie.

And the cut, by just removing the original content just make the serie an incomplete adaptation not just about FSN, but also Fate Route. a Good cut would just removed the most spoiling part but kept the one making the show better. The cut is just bad, not because it's a cut, but because it's a bad cut.

but example,

Ufotable adaptation of UBW is not just UBW, there is also many original part inspired by other route and Fate Zero to flesh the action and characters (and actually, I wonder why nobody complain about it) because they knew it was needed

Alexioos95 said:
Anyway, it was an adaptation from another era for Type-Moon, and if you look at other series adapting Visual Novels, they near all merge Routes too

And for that, I want to point that half of Fate 2006 writer are writers of most of VN adaptation of its time, we have Jukki Hanada (writer of Stein gate, Sola and H20) and Fumihiko Shimo (writer of Air, Kanon and Clannad), these two are basically Kyoani writers team. Takuya Sato the main writer also worked on Stein gate (but as Director of the show)

actually from what I seen about most of the writers works(including also Mari Okada), the problem is they are mystery, drama and slice of life writers, so they are not that good with the action part, so they make the action part really slow and not enterteining
Apr 25, 11:26 AM

Jan 2017
chevalierkraken said:
but I want to point that in fact, one of the reason they shifted to UBW during the production of UBW serie is because during early stage of the writing, Kondo and Nasu felt it was way too similar to Fate 2006 and the FSN manga and they didn't want to be redondant. So I assume Deen decision was right (and we can assume a Fate route faithful adaptation by Ufotable will never happen because a new adaptation will be made with heavy rewriting)

Kondo and Iwakami said in an interview (for the Blu-rays of UBW, if i remember correctly) that they both wanted to re-adapt the Fate Route (for Saber), but ultimately went with UBW, after Aniplex forced them (which is something often mentioned as an argument for "Ufotable/Aniplex respects Deen's work") because there was quarrels between Kondo (who wanted Fate), Miura (UBW) and Sudou (HF).

chevalierkraken said:
The cut is just bad, not because it's a cut, but because it's a bad cut.

Fair.

To be frank, i actually did not even watched that edit. No matter what it does, it is in fact not what the adaptation really is, so i always avoid such things (and that's also why i never skip fillers episodes either).

But yeah, it makes it closer the the Visual Novel, which was the assumed intend (if we are both talking about ssjokg's edit). He's still very active on MAL and Reddit, so you could try to discuss with him (or people on Reddit, that's here that the community really is), to see what he has to say.

chevalierkraken said:
Ufotable adaptation of UBW is not just UBW, there is also many original part inspired by other route and Fate Zero to flesh the action and characters (and actually, I wonder why nobody complain about it) because they knew it was needed

I don't see where the "many" original parts are, but honestly, my memories of UBW in the Visual Novel are very hazy, so i'm not in the best position to reply back. (I would need to re-read it, alongside Hollow Ataraxia and Mahoutsukai no Yoru, but i'm too lazy, and i have too many things to read...)

I know the changes of Archer vs Shirô always were very well welcomed by all, but things like vs Gilgamesh were not. Overall, the show originally received a lot of mixed opinions and even hate from the community back then, and you can probably still find huge text pads on Reddit ranting about how bad Miura is, and how he ruined UBW. It just quickly disappeared because the artstyle and animation is just too great, and it does not feels as bad as Deen's take. Edit : And each Routes are of different genre, and UBW's epic simply is what is generally way more liked.
Alexioos95Apr 25, 11:34 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Apr 25, 3:52 PM
Mar 2010
Reply to Alexioos95
chevalierkraken said:

Kondo and Iwakami said in an interview (for the Blu-rays of UBW, if i remember correctly) that they both wanted to re-adapt the Fate Route (for Saber), but ultimately went with UBW, after Aniplex forced them (which is something often mentioned as an argument for "Ufotable/Aniplex respects Deen's work") because there was quarrels between Kondo (who wanted Fate), Miura (UBW) and Sudou (HF).

chevalierkraken said:
The cut is just bad, not because it's a cut, but because it's a bad cut.

Fair.

To be frank, i actually did not even watched that edit. No matter what it does, it is in fact not what the adaptation really is, so i always avoid such things (and that's also why i never skip fillers episodes either).

But yeah, it makes it closer the the Visual Novel, which was the assumed intend (if we are both talking about ssjokg's edit). He's still very active on MAL and Reddit, so you could try to discuss with him (or people on Reddit, that's here that the community really is), to see what he has to say.

chevalierkraken said:

I don't see where the "many" original parts are, but honestly, my memories of UBW in the Visual Novel are very hazy, so i'm not in the best position to reply back. (I would need to re-read it, alongside Hollow Ataraxia and Mahoutsukai no Yoru, but i'm too lazy, and i have too many things to read...)

I know the changes of Archer vs Shirô always were very well welcomed by all, but things like vs Gilgamesh were not. Overall, the show originally received a lot of mixed opinions and even hate from the community back then, and you can probably still find huge text pads on Reddit ranting about how bad Miura is, and how he ruined UBW. It just quickly disappeared because the artstyle and animation is just too great, and it does not feels as bad as Deen's take. Edit : And each Routes are of different genre, and UBW's epic simply is what is generally way more liked.
Alexioos95 said:
Kondo and Iwakami said in an interview (for the Blu-rays of UBW, if i remember correctly) that they both wanted to re-adapt the Fate Route (for Saber), but ultimately went with UBW, after Aniplex forced them (which is something often mentioned as an argument for "Ufotable/Aniplex respects Deen's work"

Actually, once again, I use the japanese wiki of the anime as reference. And it's said that Kondo refused at first to make a new adaptation because it's was already adapted and Nasu finished to switch to UBW because it was impossible to redo Fate without a full rewriting work.

And actually, I tend to believe Ufotable staff have some respect to Deen work as first half of 2000 staff of the 2 compagny are pretty similar (the director and chara designer of demon slayer were regular director and chara designer at Deen in late 90's early 2000, the chief animation director of Fate 2006 was the main chara designer and animation director of early Ufotable works, and some of their other main director and animation director even worked on UBW movie (including one of the character designer of UBW serie).

I don't really see them having no respect for ex collaborator and some of their early works

And I also noticed a reference to Fate 2006 episode 14 they made in a scene.

For the cut, I have tried to talk with ssjokg and it's just impossible, for him nobody never liked the fact it was mixing route and every source saying Nasu was behind the writing of fate 2006 are lying and if they are not lying, Nasu just made the wrong choice and was like George lucas and the special edition.
The fact episode 14 is spoiling justify to remove it even if it's seen as the best episode of the serie.

Actually, I don't think it's the good way to make a cut. When you make a cut of a work, you need to deeply respect this work. Actually, I am doing a cut mixing UBW movie and fate serie, but this cut will be not be to make the movie better, but more to make more effective how it was made (as a complement of the serie). It's more to show that in fact the movie is not bad and don't rush that much if we already watched the serie. The problem of the Fate cut by sskog is that he don't like fate 2006 and he don't respect nor try to understand it.

For the thing added and change in UBW serie I noticed:
)
chevalierkrakenApr 25, 4:27 PM
Apr 26, 12:54 AM

Jan 2017
chevalierkraken said:
Actually, once again, I use the japanese wiki of the anime as reference. And it's said that Kondo refused at first to make a new adaptation because it's was already adapted and Nasu finished to switch to UBW because it was impossible to redo Fate without a full rewriting work.

These infos are of no relevance, tho.

Kondo didn't want to do a new adaptation at first, but he finally did, and we already know that Nasu finally just dropped the matter and went for UBW too. The "it would need a re-write!" is related to his syndrome, where he wish to re-write everything that he already published, and in this case it only was an excuse, as he also was about to re-write the whole UBW Route (he implied that he wished to remove all the "grim and gore" stuff of the story), anyway...

chevalierkraken said:
I don't really see them having no respect for ex collaborator and some of their early works

Of course ! Especially as we are talking about Japan, that's how the people there are (publicly, at least).
But it's often used as a "proof" of why Ufotable would never touch the Fate Route, which is just false.

chevalierkraken said:
For the cut, I have tried to talk with ssjokg and it's just impossible, for him nobody never liked the fact it was mixing route and every source saying Nasu was behind the writing of fate 2006 are lying and if they are not lying, Nasu just made the wrong choice and was like George lucas and the special edition.
The fact episode 14 is spoiling justify to remove it even if it's seen as the best episode of the serie.

Well, he's not wrong.

Mixing Routes always was something hated by the whole Anime community, just like fillers episodes. That simply was something "necessary" with how the industry was back then, and it's sad that it was.

With the filters put in front of every public interview and official claim, it's not crazy to think that there is a manipulation done in the name of the Author, when it's in reality blatant lies. It very often was done with Dragon Ball and Toriyama, for example. If it's not manipulations, and that Nasu really participated in the writing of the 2006 Anime, then it's not wrong to say that he was wrong in what he did, as he ruined parts of his own story/puzzle. Again, that was necessary back then tho, so nothing to really do about it; the only good choice is to read the Visual Novel first, which is something almost no one want to do... so yeah, an edit is not a bad idea, even if it may lower the quality of the Anime itself.

Alexioos95Apr 26, 1:31 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Apr 26, 8:57 AM
Mar 2010
Alexioos95 said:
These infos are of no relevance, tho

he, these info come from the official japanese wiki and are sourced

Alexioos95 said:
he implied that he wished to remove all the "grim and gore" stuff of the story

I would have loved it.
The Ufotable version of UBW was way too dark, far more than the VN feeling. it's like they wanted to please Fate Zero fan. One thing Deen version of both Fate and UBW have more than Ufotable one is the mood of the 2 first route of the VN.
the VN was wrote just after typemoon doujin era while it still was an eroge and it still have this doujin spirit being dark but very silly in same time (even if less than Tsukihime). And actually I am a fan from this era (I don't like Tsukihime remake by exemple, I am a fan of original Tsukihime and original Meltyblood and fan disk like Kagetsu toyha and Hollow Ataraxia, actually Carnival Phantasm is for me the best typemoon anime).
The Ufotable version is more an updated version to please typemoon community from 2010's who came to typemoon for Fate Zero (and now for Ufotable version)

Alexioos95 said:
Mixing Routes always was something hated by the whole Anime community

actually, no, it was not always hated, it's in fact something rather "new".

For Fate, I never seen that before late 2009 at best. And during the airing of fate 2006 everybody was happy about it, the people were also saying they would be upset if the story would have stick to Fate route. For Key adaptation, many people complain about Clannad and Air movie because they just adapt the main heroine Route. And Tsukihime manga is seen as an excellent adaptation while it mix route.

And actually, It's really an issue only in western community, I have read many review of Fate 2006 on anikore, the japanese MAL and actually where there is critics about sexist Shirou, slow paced first half and low quality animation(only after 2011 for this point), nobody complain about mixing route. The japanese care far less about spoiler, it make them want to know more (the japanese movie trailer are always full of spoiler).
actually Fate 2006 is not rated that much lower than UBW in japan (3,8 against 4,1)

And for "filler", it's something that anime community don't like but most of other community like it, in fact actually, if you watch movie and TV serie adaptation of novel and comics, they are most of the time not faithful to source material.
And once again, in anime community, it has not always been the case in the 80/90's, nobody complained about filler and not faithful adaptation. And once against japanese fan are less annoyed by that (so much they don't call it filler but "anime original" and consider it canon for the anime)

Alexioos95 said:
That's something from the Fate Route, so it damage nothing as it's the previous story

actually, I don't agree with that, it's still from another route, if we are against mixing route, it's also apply to put Fate content in UBW route. If the serie is made to be watched after Fate adaptation, it's redondant and if it's for newcomers, it's spoil.

And actually Saber vs Assassin is the only fight from Fate 2006 who can be seen as better than into Ufotable adaptation (maybe because Deen have some history with swordfight series)
chevalierkrakenApr 26, 9:23 AM
Apr 26, 9:30 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Alexioos95
chevalierkraken said:

These infos are of no relevance, tho.

Kondo didn't want to do a new adaptation at first, but he finally did, and we already know that Nasu finally just dropped the matter and went for UBW too. The "it would need a re-write!" is related to his syndrome, where he wish to re-write everything that he already published, and in this case it only was an excuse, as he also was about to re-write the whole UBW Route (he implied that he wished to remove all the "grim and gore" stuff of the story), anyway...

chevalierkraken said:

Of course ! Especially as we are talking about Japan, that's how the people there are (publicly, at least).
But it's often used as a "proof" of why Ufotable would never touch the Fate Route, which is just false.

chevalierkraken said:

Well, he's not wrong.

Mixing Routes always was something hated by the whole Anime community, just like fillers episodes. That simply was something "necessary" with how the industry was back then, and it's sad that it was.

With the filters put in front of every public interview and official claim, it's not crazy to think that there is a manipulation done in the name of the Author, when it's in reality blatant lies. It very often was done with Dragon Ball and Toriyama, for example. If it's not manipulations, and that Nasu really participated in the writing of the 2006 Anime, then it's not wrong to say that he was wrong in what he did, as he ruined parts of his own story/puzzle. Again, that was necessary back then tho, so nothing to really do about it; the only good choice is to read the Visual Novel first, which is something almost no one want to do... so yeah, an edit is not a bad idea, even if it may lower the quality of the Anime itself.

Alexioos95 said:

I don't understand why mixing routes should bother me when the alternative is usually to omit routes entirely.
Nor would I say that mixing routes is less common nowadays, except in the sense that visual novel adaptations are themselves less common.
その目だれの目?
Apr 26, 9:41 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to chevalierkraken
Alexioos95 said:
These infos are of no relevance, tho

he, these info come from the official japanese wiki and are sourced

Alexioos95 said:
he implied that he wished to remove all the "grim and gore" stuff of the story

I would have loved it.
The Ufotable version of UBW was way too dark, far more than the VN feeling. it's like they wanted to please Fate Zero fan. One thing Deen version of both Fate and UBW have more than Ufotable one is the mood of the 2 first route of the VN.
the VN was wrote just after typemoon doujin era while it still was an eroge and it still have this doujin spirit being dark but very silly in same time (even if less than Tsukihime). And actually I am a fan from this era (I don't like Tsukihime remake by exemple, I am a fan of original Tsukihime and original Meltyblood and fan disk like Kagetsu toyha and Hollow Ataraxia, actually Carnival Phantasm is for me the best typemoon anime).
The Ufotable version is more an updated version to please typemoon community from 2010's who came to typemoon for Fate Zero (and now for Ufotable version)

Alexioos95 said:
Mixing Routes always was something hated by the whole Anime community

For Fate, I never seen that before late 2009 at best. And during the airing of fate 2006 everybody was happy about it, the people were also saying they would be upset if the story would have stick to Fate route. For Key adaptation, many people complain about Clannad and Air movie because they just adapt the main heroine Route. And Tsukihime manga is seen as an excellent adaptation while it mix route.

And actually, It's really an issue only in western community, I have read many review of Fate 2006 on anikore, the japanese MAL and actually where there is critics about sexist Shirou, slow paced first half and low quality animation(only after 2011 for this point), nobody complain about mixing route. The japanese care far less about spoiler, it make them want to know more (the japanese movie trailer are always full of spoiler).
actually Fate 2006 is not rated that much lower than UBW in japan (3,8 against 4,1)

And for "filler", it's something that anime community don't like but most of other community like it, in fact actually, if you watch movie and TV serie adaptation of novel and comics, they are most of the time not faithful to source material.
And once again, in anime community, it has not always been the case in the 80/90's, nobody complained about filler and not faithful adaptation. And once against japanese fan are less annoyed by that (so much they don't call it filler but "anime original" and consider it canon for the anime)

Alexioos95 said:
That's something from the Fate Route, so it damage nothing as it's the previous story

actually, I don't agree with that, it's still from another route, if we are against mixing route, it's also apply to put Fate content in UBW route. If the serie is made to be watched after Fate adaptation, it's redondant and if it's for newcomers, it's spoil.

And actually Saber vs Assassin is the only fight from Fate 2006 who can be seen as better than into Ufotable adaptation (maybe because Deen have some history with swordfight series)
chevalierkraken said:

An interesting idea. I loved Witch on the Holy Night when I played it last year. Which of Nasu's works most resemble it? I've already decided to buy the visual novels Aniplex will translate this year, so you're answer won't really change anything. I'm only looking for predictions to hype myself up.

Garden of Sinners movies bore me, for the record. Might I prefer Ufotable's Fate adaptations?
その目だれの目?
Apr 27, 7:12 AM
Mar 2010
Lucifrost said:
I loved Witch on the Holy Night when I played it last year. Which of Nasu's works most resemble it

I didn't read mahotsukai no yoru, I am not interested by post 2010 type moon titles.

Lucifrost said:
Garden of Sinners movies bore me, for the record. Might I prefer Ufotable's Fate adaptations?

Garden of Sinners was also by Ufotable, Fate adaptation by Ufotable have pretty similar mood with same chara designer, some similar director and same composer for heaven feel movie.
chevalierkrakenApr 27, 7:17 AM
Apr 27, 8:41 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to chevalierkraken
Lucifrost said:
I loved Witch on the Holy Night when I played it last year. Which of Nasu's works most resemble it

I didn't read mahotsukai no yoru, I am not interested by post 2010 type moon titles.

Lucifrost said:

Garden of Sinners was also by Ufotable, Fate adaptation by Ufotable have pretty similar mood with same chara designer, some similar director and same composer for heaven feel movie.
chevalierkraken said:

How do you know you wouldn't like Nasu's post 2010 visual novels if you haven't tried any?
その目だれの目?
Apr 27, 10:17 AM

Jan 2017
chevalierkraken said:
I would have loved it.

As he was talking about the start of the production, i'm fairly sure he was referring to Archer.
I agree that Deen got the ambiance closer to the Visual Novel than Ufotable tho, and the artstyle participate in that a lot.

chevalierkraken said:

It's more like adaptations merging Routes were made like that, so everyone kinda just went with it. However, after we got distinct adaptation for the whole other Routes, it's easy to wish the same things for others. So yeah, my "always was hated" claim is wrong.

I don't think people are mad because the adaptation of Clannad only adapted Nagisa's Route, but that it did not received adaptation for other ones. (We got the OVAs, which are great, but most people, including me, wish for more.)

True for Tsukihime Manga, i did not think about it. Usually, it gets recommended followed by "the Visual Novel is better" tho.

chevalierkraken said:
And actually, It's really an issue only in western community

Yeah, Japan and the rest of the world really do not see and feel the industry the same way.

chevalierkraken said:
And once again, in anime community, it has not always been the case in the 80/90's, nobody complained about filler and not faithful adaptation.

Yeah, the Anime/Manga community has a very weird obsession over the faithfulness to the source material, even if they did not read it.
The faithfullness being not questionned before the 2000s may be because of how niche Animes/Mangas were back then, with the source material almost all not (easily) accessible outside of Japan.

chevalierkraken said:

The story may be redundant, but with the very different directing, artstyle and animation, it feels different enough to not be too bothering for the watchers of the previous version, and most of the newcomers wouldn't watch the latter anyway. (I also don't think these elements can be considered as spoils, the Fate Route supposed to have been already experienced at that point. Newcomers going into the 2nd iteration rather than the 1st is simply an unlucky way, and nearly no one goes back to see it, anyway.)

chevalierkraken said:

Mhh. If you are talking about their first encounter, i'm not really sure about that, they just are different.

Their few quick exchanges are animated very nicely by Deen's, but it feels a little bit slow (in a nice way), with a lot of dodges, and toward the end, the swords are just beam of lights, followed by Assassin pushing back Saber, in a way that seems effortless from his end. Ufotable focused more on the lighting speed clashes, and heavy parades and deviations of the swords, albeit, as usual, getting carried by the effects of the Digital team. Deen's takes seems more realistical, while Ufotable's is simply fantastically epic.

As for the Tsubame Gaeshi, Deen focused on the movements of the sword, with slow after-image, and used the imagery of the swallow, which is a very satisfying build up, but went for a low rate frame of slow-motion for the impact, which is not very striking. Meanwhile, Ufotable quickly rised the stakes with Saber realizing she would be killed and started panicking, and followed by a slow-motion gradually accelerating, seen from her back. Deen's takes feels like a calm and silent strike, while Ufotable's went for a very heavy multi-impact. In my opinion, Ufotable clearly had better directing there, even if the use of the imagery was great from Deen; but as i said, they just are different. (On a side note, Saber releasing her Invisible Air was majestic by Deen's tho, especially with the music.)
Alexioos95Apr 27, 10:26 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Apr 27, 10:20 AM

Jan 2017
Lucifrost said:
I don't understand why mixing routes should bother me when the alternative is usually to omit routes entirely.

Taken like that, sure, but if the alternative was a whole 'nother adaptation ?
That's something almost never done, tho. Like, which work got it aside of Fate... ? Clannad and its OVAs ?

Lucifrost said:
Nor would I say that mixing routes is less common nowadays, except in the sense that visual novel adaptations are themselves less common.

Yeah, i just didn't think too much about that...
That may be only an impression due to the number of Visual Novels being that low nowadays.

Lucifrost said:
I loved Witch on the Holy Night when I played it last year. Which of Nasu's works most resemble it?

That kinda is a mix between Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai, i'd say, in a way that its structure is closest to Tsukihime, but its vibe to Kara no Kyoukai ?
I really did not read much of it (yet), so you may want to dismiss what i say.
Alexioos95Apr 27, 10:24 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.

More topics from this board

» Order

Shadow__-Monarch - May 4

23 by Alexioos95 »»
May 7, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 16, 2008

83 by FedeMetal »»
May 5, 6:50 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DaBigD - Oct 3, 2008

137 by FedeMetal »»
May 1, 6:08 PM

» Why do people consider 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime bad?

zckfox - May 13, 2023

45 by chevalierkraken »»
Apr 25, 10:10 AM

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.