Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 23, 3:49 PM

Mar 2020
A struggle with loneliness, and the tension is building...

It was tough to see Holo feeling down because of the possibility of Lawrence leaving her to open his shop, but it was nice seeing Lawrence be able to comfort her and relieve her worries, and it was step forward in their relationship. With the Medio trading company also on Lawrence and Holo's tails, it showed the ruthlessness and realism of how the trading industry can be, and the tension was at a peak. For an important episode such as this one, while I still don't think the visuals look particularly stunning, it was a job well done nonetheless. We also got quite the cliffhanger with an unknown person that might be from Holo's past showing up, so there's that to look forward to for the next episode.
Apr 23, 4:39 PM

Jan 2008
So the silver scheme cat is out of the bag, but the bigwigs behind it aren't too happy about being found out, and sent out some hired thugs to silence the two of them. And they also know Holo is a wolf god after capturing her...

I was confused about how the silver scheme worked at first, but this episode cleared it up. The price of silver coins wasn't going up, but down. Those who sought to profit would try to buy up as many newer coins as possible and later resell a now higher-content silver coinage, pocketing the difference. But what's really happening was the price of silver is expected to go down with the new lower-content silver coins, leaving investor merchants holding the bag of less valuable coins, suffering heavy losses (much like how stocks work if you bet wrong). The schemers were planning on forcing those suckers with all the silver to resell it to them for pennies on the dollar, so to speak, and therefore profit off of their losses. As to what they'd do with all that silver once acquired, I imagine the noble backing them would take it, as it would still be very valuable as silver is still needed for trade, and thus would give them bigger bargaining power to whoever wants it, effectively having a monopoly on a large chunk of the silver coinage in circulation once the older higher-content silver coins are fazed out/taken out/bought up (which is likely what the Milone company is banking on, buying up the older higher-content silver coins). Not only that, since they'd be able to secretly collect a large amount of coins without the knowledge of authorities, they would also be able to evade taxes on their capital gains with their new hidden assets, as the people who were scammed wouldn't be able to report it or else lose their reputation as a trader.

Rather than some grander reason as to why the two of them were targeted by hired thugs in the first place, it could just as easily be simply revenge; to get even. Once Milone started buying up older silver coins, Medio would soon find out that their plan is compromised, and that the leak must have come from one of the people they were planning on scamming, which would lead to them finding out it was Lawrence who struck a deal with Milone company. And now that after Holo was caught revealing her identity, threatening to take her to the church to be killed was an afterthought in their change of plans to smoke out Lawrence.

Edit: If I'm wrong about my assumptions, like Light Novel readers can correct me in a spoiler tag. One thing I think I missed was...what exactly was this "personal grudge" Lawrence have against Milone company?

Edit 2: Nevermind, I rewatched it and the "personal grudge" was referring to the scenario if Holo was taken hostage, then Milone would not act to help save her out of greater interest in company profits. But since Lawrence dropped the bombshell at the end revealing to Milone company Holo's true identity, then things just got more spicy.
Estoy_GordoApr 23, 5:09 PM
Apr 23, 7:39 PM
Jul 2021
Wow after finding the last two episodes slow, this one really put a lot on our plates. The romance started climbing quickly, but it also feels like the type of romance budding that you’d see in real life between adults. Seeing Holo go to Kraft for comfort is too much.

It also only makes sense that the other trading company would make a move after they’ve been caught. At the same time the show explains to us why their actions don’t add up and we find out Holo’s existence is known and is the real bargaining chip against Kraft.

Things got very interesting!!
Apr 23, 7:42 PM
Jul 2021
Estoy_Gordo said:
So the silver scheme cat is out of the bag, but the bigwigs behind it aren't too happy about being found out, and sent out some hired thugs to silence the two of them. And they also know Holo is a wolf god after capturing her...

I was confused about how the silver scheme worked at first, but this episode cleared it up. The price of silver coins wasn't going up, but down. Those who sought to profit would try to buy up as many newer coins as possible and later resell a now higher-content silver coinage, pocketing the difference. But what's really happening was the price of silver is expected to go down with the new lower-content silver coins, leaving investor merchants holding the bag of less valuable coins, suffering heavy losses (much like how stocks work if you bet wrong). The schemers were planning on forcing those suckers with all the silver to resell it to them for pennies on the dollar, so to speak, and therefore profit off of their losses. As to what they'd do with all that silver once acquired, I imagine the noble backing them would take it, as it would still be very valuable as silver is still needed for trade, and thus would give them bigger bargaining power to whoever wants it, effectively having a monopoly on a large chunk of the silver coinage in circulation once the older higher-content silver coins are fazed out/taken out/bought up (which is likely what the Milone company is banking on, buying up the older higher-content silver coins). Not only that, since they'd be able to secretly collect a large amount of coins without the knowledge of authorities, they would also be able to evade taxes on their capital gains with their new hidden assets, as the people who were scammed wouldn't be able to report it or else lose their reputation as a trader.

Rather than some grander reason as to why the two of them were targeted by hired thugs in the first place, it could just as easily be simply revenge; to get even. Once Milone started buying up older silver coins, Medio would soon find out that their plan is compromised, and that the leak must have come from one of the people they were planning on scamming, which would lead to them finding out it was Lawrence who struck a deal with Milone company. And now that after Holo was caught revealing her identity, threatening to take her to the church to be killed was an afterthought in their change of plans to smoke out Lawrence.

Edit: If I'm wrong about my assumptions, like Light Novel readers can correct me in a spoiler tag. One thing I think I missed was...what exactly was this "personal grudge" Lawrence have against Milone company?

Edit 2: Nevermind, I rewatched it and the "personal grudge" was referring to the scenario if Holo was taken hostage, then Milone would not act to help save her out of greater interest in company profits. But since Lawrence dropped the bombshell at the end revealing to Milone company Holo's true identity, then things just got more spicy.

I haven’t read but I think it’s pretty much what you said. They’re also getting buy-in from “investors” now and getting money up front, which is a common way to run off with money when you’re running a scam. Plus, the money they collect now is likely the older coin with more silver contents in it.
Apr 24, 6:36 AM
Mar 2020
The "ransom" note hints of someone from Holo's old village. They don't need her anymore, right?
Apr 24, 8:53 AM

Jun 2021
Holo gets even more adorable when she cries like that
Apr 24, 1:08 PM
Apr 2021
NOOOOOO not my girl Holo they got her ass and they sent a note with her hair in it that aggravated me ngl I’d air the room out ong🤗

Seems like shit has picked up in this episode tbh less of a slice of life journey and more of a life threatening situation that Lawrence and Holo are in but I’m happy that the dude with the closed eyes is finally getting booked for his schemes bc it’s so obvious that he’s tryna finesse all the merchants

Wait why didn’t Holo cover her ears and tail I thought she said she can put them away for a whole day or so😭💀😭

Who’s the mysterious person at the end?? Monday needs to come sooner😩 (PAUSE)
Apr 25, 3:05 AM

Oct 2008
who won't fall for Horo when she does that vanilla montage! lolz
5/5.

Apr 25, 6:43 AM
Jul 2022
I'm going to be honest, the Holo transformation is coming and I'm a little scared that it will look ugly, I'm scared that questionable CGI will be used, guys I'm scared.
Apr 25, 8:53 AM
Oct 2019
Kevin Penkin OST, how does this man keep doing it!!

Holo emotional scene was done really well.

omg that post credit scene, Who is that???
god damn the cliffhanger man.
Apr 25, 6:02 PM
May 2020
The growl at the end <3
Apr 25, 6:14 PM
Dec 2023
A lot more happened here. Wild how Kraft just exposed his girl like that.
Apr 25, 6:23 PM

Dec 2022
Its really cute that they still have the time to flirt while being chased.
Apr 25, 9:12 PM

Dec 2022
Was not prepared for the happy sounding ed after that pretty sad ending

Apr 26, 2:35 AM

Jun 2019
It was an amazing episode. Holo was so cute again. She looked so sad when Lawrence talked about leaving everything even her. That was very sad. shed a few tears with her. Also, the situation has become very bad. Holo has been captured and Lawrence wants to rescue her. He cares about her a lot. I hope nothing bad happens to her.
Apr 26, 3:52 AM

Sep 2023
Looks like Lawrence sees Holo as more than a friend... They are getting closer every episode. Who could that be at the end? Someone she knew and mentioned in the conversation earlier probably.
Apr 26, 4:55 AM

Apr 2012
Really loved spice iand wolf , HORO HORO THE Goddes HORO WILL ate u!!!!!!!!! she's a fox or oa wolf? thats one thing i never knew...she looks like a fox but if i remember well they/"she(?) refer her as wolf.. well whatever very good anime is slow peaced.. but good
Apr 26, 10:40 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
They caught Holo! It was a pity!!!
kekeke
Apr 27, 3:58 PM

May 2018
Reply to StallionXD
I'm conflicted, I like this show because Holo is really cute and all, but Lawrence is kinda hard to like, he is mostly cool but he is really dumb, at least so far, like, this entire fkng problem could have been avoided by just saying no to that weird guy 2 episodes ago, but Lawrence wanted to play detective and it failed completely lmao

Loved the scene of them in the bed tho, sadly it was cut short because of the bandits lol
@StallionXD Why would you say no to a way of making money as a merchant? Currency trading is a real thing people engage in irl, I don't know why Lawrence would just offhand refuse such deals.
Apr 27, 4:01 PM

May 2018
Reply to Vanshee_26
I like the direction of this episode. Holo is still adorable, and I'm more okay with Kevin's music than in previous episodes. However, one thing that bothers me is the lighting in this one. In the daytime scenes, I didn't feel that there was much of a problem, but in the night scenes, where it should be dark, the characters are glowing, and it really bothers me.
@Vanshee_26 I agree, it's like there's almost no visual difference to it being day or night, except Lawrence tumbling and hitting the ceiling and bed by accident.
Apr 27, 4:04 PM

May 2018
Reply to -Storm
Really loved spice iand wolf , HORO HORO THE Goddes HORO WILL ate u!!!!!!!!! she's a fox or oa wolf? thats one thing i never knew...she looks like a fox but if i remember well they/"she(?) refer her as wolf.. well whatever very good anime is slow peaced.. but good
@-Storm Is this some type of joke I'm not familiar with? Holo literally calls herself a wolf, and the show is called Spice and Wolf.
Apr 27, 4:40 PM

Nov 2011
The original is still much better. All that is in this remake for me now is the plot not yet covered in the original, It's probably more fun for me skipping through episodes one after another with the way things look right now. So much talking in this remake, it's just so unnatural. I understand the urgency to cover more plots, but making them cover lines after lines like that, to me it just does not feel like paying the appropriate tribute to the original I really enjoyed. Oh well, the sales would probably be the hard proof to the studio in the end.
Apr 27, 8:05 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Kaljalager
@StallionXD Why would you say no to a way of making money as a merchant? Currency trading is a real thing people engage in irl, I don't know why Lawrence would just offhand refuse such deals.
@Kaljalager because Lawrence, from the very begining when they meet that scammer in the church, knew something was wrong, he even asked Holo and she basically said that yes, that guy is untrustworthy, and Lawerence understood and agreed, but he still went on with it, he was asking for trouble.

Of course I know that currency trading is real LOL, but here Lawrence knew that there was more than a 50% of probability that all of this was a scam, and even tho it's his job, something like this wasn't in his plans, he had no real need to get extra money this way because he didn't even though on doing something like this, and when he sold his products with Holo's help we understood that he isn't really a greedy person, Holo was the one that made them get way more money that what he really wanted, so, since he is such an experienced merchant, he could just have said no to something he knew was a scam.

But instead he decided to say yes, asked around the city, literally confirmed it was, in fact, a scam, but he still wanted to play detective and put both Holo and himself in great danger. And also, he could have dropped this at any moment, he confirmed it was a scam but still meet with the guy again to sign the contract, as I said he was asking for trouble.

In my eyes he has only made mistakes with all of this, and sorry but you can't convince me otherwise.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Kaljalager
@-Storm Is this some type of joke I'm not familiar with? Holo literally calls herself a wolf, and the show is called Spice and Wolf.
@Kaljalager Haha , both , yea it was kinda a joke , but honestly i couldn't remember 100% "she's" a "Wolf" lol , just IMHO she looks more like a fox than a wolf
Apr 29, 9:23 PM

Jul 2021
Lawerence putting in work to catch Zheren along with everyone who is helping him with these scams. Lawerence getting help and informing one of the trading companys was the right move along with making a deal with them.

Holo and her alcohol, which lead her to having a hangover. She was cute when she was hungover along with Lawerence helping her back to the inn, holding his arm out for her to grab onto something. The part with Holo and Lawerence at the inn was nice with Holo talking about how she doesnt want to be along anymore after Lawerence reveals he wants to open his own shop.

The part with him comforting her on the bed was nice. Holo sensing the goons outside was nice and the little chase part was cool, though it didnt end to well with holo being captured but im sure Lawerence will get her back in no time.

Apr 30, 7:11 PM

Aug 2014
the story gets better each ep ;d too bad it is airing I would storm it in few days :D
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
May 2, 6:32 AM
Jan 2018
Damn, I'm surprised they found out about Holo's secret...
May 3, 10:22 AM
Nov 2022
I thought the romance was coming but in reality it was the drama that was approaching._.

I'm surprised the guys who kidnapped Holo haven't already handed her over to the church. On the other hand, Lawrence confessed directly but would they believe him? That is the question.
May 6, 6:24 AM

Feb 2021
They are separated and what will happen to the wolf girl...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 6, 12:26 PM

Jul 2012
Sweet moment between Lawrence and Holo throughout this episode (':
May 6, 6:43 PM

Dec 2022
lovely music as always
May 8, 11:55 PM

May 2015
This silver conspiracy runs deep! When there was nothing left for Lawrence to share, I knew the truth of the matter had to be Holo. She's his only secret left!
May 11, 2:57 PM

Nov 2016
It always hits different when a sassy character like Holo shows her vulnerable side. When all the teasing is done she's just scared of being alone.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

51 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
54 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

113 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

93 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
1 hour ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

29 by access_flash »»
2 hours ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 12 hours ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
2 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.