Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 22, 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
Geez, they really saw some weird shit on this trip out in the wild. I'm talking about the animal-like being staring at them and the talking carrot things.

On the other hand, the cast had their fun this episode and made the most out of it with these memories. Good for them.
Apr 22, 5:36 AM

Feb 2020
Everything gets weirder and weirder. Pretty much as bizarre as the mushroom episode.

Poor Akira. :(

Those mini tanks and soldiers were cute, haha.

SerafosApr 22, 10:23 AM
Apr 22, 6:24 AM

Apr 2010
Well it was a mushroom after all well mustiple mushrooms.
The world they are in is a interesting place that keeps getting stranger.
And the search for a doctor is a strange one even getting to a small town and being attacked.
Remember don't always solve things with violence try talking first.

Hopefully nothing bad happens to them.
Apr 22, 6:38 AM

Apr 2016
Well you see, quite the acid trip some of these stations they have visited in this week's episode eh, the vistas too were something ... like the fuck were those goat things supposed to be, lol.

And then our Akira turned into a vegetable xD
Apr 22, 6:47 AM
Mar 2021
Akira is high as a kite

now Reimi and Shizuru have been caught

guess it's up to Nadeko to save the day!
Apr 22, 6:49 AM

Apr 2022
Picking up the pace, and it's getting weirder by the minute. I totally thought it was a tail, but I guess she got a special case of the mushroom butt.
Apr 22, 7:14 AM
Sep 2021
really thought it was a tail :(

Apr 22, 7:18 AM

Mar 2021
This show is getting ever more weird but am loving every second of it. These stations so far are creepy as hell I just hope they get help for Akira soon.
Apr 22, 7:31 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
this so so fucking cute lol

and i love the random areas they run into lol

love this kind of creativity
EcchiGodMamsterApr 22, 7:35 AM
Apr 22, 7:46 AM

Jan 2016
this honestly just reminds me of FLCL, such a random plot throwing the most weird ideas at you. And for some reason I can't understand why people like it a lot
Apr 22, 7:55 AM

Apr 2014
Shizuru, that map is accurate, you should trust it.
Those armies were referenced from the nearby JASDF's Iruma Airbase. The World Square that Reimi said in this episode is actually the Tobu World Square in Nikko.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 22, 8:55 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy shit, what a hysterical episode, outrageous stuff on every station lmfao.

Seeing the different landscapes is really nice.
Apr 22, 9:07 AM
Jun 2021
Weird episode, I enjoy getting to see more of the world!

Poor akira man.
Apr 22, 9:23 AM

Jun 2017
I love how random this anime is. Goat people head-butting the train, vegetable root people laughing at them, golf people raining down now mini toy soldiers lol
Apr 22, 9:56 AM
Nov 2022
Yooo, they foreshadowed the little people before the OP.
Little Shizura said she wanted fight an anteater, eat a lot of mushrooms, and see little people.
Not bad, show, not bad
Apr 22, 10:19 AM
Nov 2023
This might the formula for most episodes of this show.
It's interesting for now, but I can see it getting boring eventually.
Apr 22, 10:34 AM

Jan 2013
As soon Shizuru and Reimi found out its was a tiny town I knew they'd throw a Tokusatsu reference.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Apr 22, 10:36 AM

Jun 2016
The route map is, of course, brilliant. It seems that she should spoil what will happen next, but that was not the case, I thought there would be foxes, but instead there would be wild goats. And the series is creepy on one side, and funny on the other.
Apr 22, 10:39 AM

Apr 2021
Okay now this is my jam. I wouldn't have dared expect such craziness. It's a shame about the cheap 3D though - imagine how all the strange landscapes would look if this was made in the 1980's.

They're definitely tipping the hat to Night on the Galactic Railroad in this episode too.
Apr 22, 11:05 AM

Feb 2019
Another bizarre yet very good episode. Definitely one of the most unique anime originals we’ve seen recently. Each episode progressively turns the weirdness level up more and more and the mystery continues to pull me in.

Like wtf was that goat costume scene with them ramming the train?? Then the screaming vegetables, the tree statues, etc. Genuinely unnerving. All the stops today felt like something straight out of a horror film. The contrast of the cute girls with this creepy setting is so interesting.

And we’re nowhere near Ikebekuro yet. Imagine how much weirder things will get. I’m still on the fence about whether this is all legit a result of the 7G or if it’s a mental thing, but it’s definitely a wild viewing experience.

Akira and Reimi relationship felt like the focal point of the episode. Yea, they might tease each other a lot, but they’re clearly best friends and just have their own unique way of showing it. Reimi will insult Akira and then steal her exact reasoning for rotating train drivers 😭 and it was Reimi who took the initiative to check on Akira’s butt and remove the mushroom spores.

I hope the damage to her personality isn’t permanent, because I don’t think when the other girls removed their spores theirs started jumping around and singing.. Akira’s almost looked sentient. Might’ve taken half her brain with it.

Reimi better than me tho because after tricking me into eating rice crackers and paper we def couldn’t have been friends lmaooo wtf.

Last stop of the day might be the weirdest with Shizuru and Reimi stumbling upon what seems like a toy town and being kaiju sized threats to it.. show just gets weirder and weirder in the best possible way. Good to have something original for once
Marinate1016Apr 22, 11:36 AM
Apr 22, 11:20 AM

May 2019
Yeah this show is definitely a unique mix of weirdness, creepiness, and cuteness. It also feels like a bizarre random dream (or nightmare) too. On that note I liked how Jupiter and other planets looked so close while they were traveling at night.

I was thinking that maybe Akira will recover on her own and is just high from that mushroom as an aftereffect but we'll see.
Alfredo-SauceApr 22, 7:33 PM
Apr 22, 11:26 AM

Apr 2021
I thought akira was turning into a dog
Apr 22, 12:08 PM
Apr 2022
Just as everyone has said, things just keep getting weirder and then some!
I was one of those that thought that Akira's "tail" was her turning into an animal. It would explain why she tried to hide it better. Was a little disappointed that it was her being a hypocrite and wanting that mushroom life for herself.

Brilliant episode otherwise. Keeping me on my toes.
Apr 22, 12:15 PM

May 2020
This series is going places lol.

And that's just not when we're talking in literal sense. More than being fun, it leaves with the thought of wanting to know, "what next?".
Apr 22, 12:23 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was a real trip. I wish I could drink right now - that would make watching this even more of an event.

I'm really worried what Kojima will do once he's watched this episode. If this inspires him, we're screwed lol.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 22, 12:28 PM

Nov 2013
Ok, so we're back to "wtf did I just watch" mode.
Apr 22, 12:38 PM
Aug 2022
I feel like the best part about this show other than Akira and a fun cast is that because of the plot their can literally be anything at these stops. At this point I'm just anticipating anything. I really like this show
Apr 22, 12:39 PM
May 2023
Welp, it's a mushroom, like everyone thought it was a tail but it turns out it's not. Akira noo, I hope they can find a doctor soon.

This episode really has a lot of weird stuff and I love it, also man I love the OST of this anime, definitely my favorite of this season.
Apr 22, 1:03 PM

Dec 2021
It's becoming weirder than I expected. The unpredictability of each episode is fascinating.
Apr 22, 1:18 PM
Aug 2015
Reply to Rimuru_11407
really thought it was a tail :(

@Rimuru_11407 Ah, but I really wanted Akira-inu. Oh well, I guessed wrong. It seems that fiction is weirder than truth, at times.
Apr 22, 2:37 PM
May 2021
Now that we've seen a few more stops, the meaning of each of the shapes on the map is starting to become a little more clear, or at least some patterns are starting to form.

At all the square stops, they were able to get off the train and actually speak with the inhabitants around that station (although some are more dangerous than others). All the circle stops were passed by without speaking to anyone who lived there, either because it was too dangerous to or because there isn't anyone to speak to.

Now we'll just have to wait until next week to see what the diamond shape means...

Apr 22, 2:58 PM

Mar 2023
So after running from biped goats and getting showered in golf balls, they pull the shroom out of the butt and godzilla school girls get shot by the army and tied up. Yabai

Wild train ride
Apr 22, 3:19 PM
Aug 2020
Another great episode

I was not expecting things to go that way…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 22, 3:36 PM

Mar 2019
Despite Akira's flailing objections, Nadeshiko muscled her down onto the train's bench seat. Laying face down with her rear exposed to the ceiling, Akira pleaded with the girls to let the fungus give her reprieve from the agony of worry and anxiety that surely awaited her. Reimi knew all too well the effects of the mushroom and now understood what Akira felt when she too had to fight off her friends' fungal growths. With a gentle yet firm grasp, Reimi yanks out the enoki mushroom that had been accosting her dear friend's behind. It flew through the air and landed on the train floor only to stand up on its stems and charge straight at Shizuru. With a nimble dodge, she leapt out of the way. Nowhere left to run, the mushroom, while frenziedly contorting itself, catapults into the air, lets out a blood curdling scream, and self destructs in a snappy explosion. The girls stood, mouths agape, staring in disbelief at what they just witnessed and muttered softly in unison, "What the fuck?" Akira was saved from the shortened lifespan the mushroom would have cursed her with, but was left in a rapidly deteriorating mental state. Time was of ch choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo
Apr 22, 3:41 PM

Jul 2016
No shit. It actually was a mushroom after all. Would have made more sense if it was a tail but well.
And now our Akira is high asf.

Cool and creepy episode. Shizuru should pay more attention to the damn map tho.
Apr 22, 4:16 PM

Jun 2019
Those were giant human organs floating in the sky (or organs from some creature)? What was the basis of that, I wonder and would like to know. And were celestial objects like some of the planets (Jupiter was depicted, I believe) actually closer - as in did the apocalypse-inducing 7G incident affect all the breadth of space and the universe outside of just their region of Japan, just Japan, or just Earth? Or is it just an optical illusion? A localized one caused by certain specific phenomena related to the incident? And people turning into golf balls? Previously there was mention of people turned into immobile trees and rocks, but this was the first time hearing of it applying to a normally completely manmade/artificial and inanimate object.

And unlike the vending machine otaku isekai'd into a vending machine as a new body in the anime series from last year, golf balls don't even have computerized interfaces or audio features and speakers, let alone any form of magic included as a bonus, so have absolutely no way to make their will known to be moved or otherwise communicate or interact. Though those at that one train station stop converted into Jizo statues could still talk even if they couldn't move or eat. Still the golf ball one in particular seems like a real torturous prison. I wonder if they inherently possess immortality due to the non-organic bodies.

After seeing all the other stops so far, I don't think that either the girls themselves or the audience watching the show at all truly realized and appreciated how nice of a town and community Agano still was and how good they and the other residents had it there compared to how things could be (like everywhere else by comparison).

I wasn't sure, despite its opening episode (even opening first few minutes at that!), if it was going to later down the line (no pun intended) continue to go in the more anarchic, abstract direction like elements found in other either post-apocalyptic or disembodied-people-defying-physics type series, such as Humanity Has Declined and Sonny Boy, but I'm glad to see that they have. If things continue to get more both irrational in concept and principle, and difficult for the girls to even deal and interact with on any coherent basis as far as being able to understand and making themselves able to be heard and understood by some of the different post-human existences they're faced with, then it really feels as if the walls and very fabric of sanity and reality could crumble and cave in, maybe before ever even reaching the final stop and destination, as we continue this horizontal descent to oblivion.
WatchTillTandavaApr 22, 8:10 PM
Apr 22, 4:56 PM

Jul 2022
Well, it turns out that what Akira had on his butt was not a tail but a fungus, which is worse, and it affected them quite a bit. Akira has become my favorite in these few episodes, so I hope they recover soon.

They have already advanced 22 stations and with respect to the map it turned out to be quite useful and I believe that in the squares there is still a way to communicate with their inhabitants without being hostile, in the circles it seems that their inhabitants were seriously affected that they became primitive and they do not reason why the little or no communication in all aspects and rhombuses at the moment seem to show a hostile development with new visits and these places should be taken seriously and with extreme caution.

Furthermore, it seems that the world is influenced by the dreams that Shizuru tells Youka.
Apr 22, 5:09 PM
Jan 2024

good episode and very curious to see little people
Apr 22, 5:20 PM

Sep 2020
Not even the Galaxy Express 999 would've stopped to such freakish stations!
Apr 22, 6:30 PM
Jul 2019
What we learned in Episode Four:
(1) Higashi-Hanno is a great place for skydiving.
(2) RPGs would work on Godzilla, if we were little people and Godzilla was man-sized.
(3) Akira used to be quite the troll.
What we'll learn in Episode Five is still a mystery. And that's Doomsday Train.
MountainCApr 22, 6:41 PM
Apr 22, 7:07 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! I would not be surprised if the four cuties end the story fixing the world to save the fifth cutie. Once more, the path, not the destination.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 22, 7:23 PM
Apr 2022
never hide a growing mushroom from your butt or your brain will turn into a vegetable. may that be a lesson for youngsters
Apr 22, 8:16 PM
Simp4DemonGirls

Oct 2018
Thinking those daikon things were based on mandrakes.
And the idea of getting your “soul” (shirikodama) pulled out through your ****hole is actually part of kappa mythos.
OhayotakuApr 22, 8:19 PM
Apr 22, 8:24 PM
Oct 2019
This ep was so creative i loved it, also i thought about the mushroom growing in her ass after last episode finale and i'm glad the theory was correct lmao. This is my fav anime of the season and gotta say i still stick to seasonal shows to experience these original new drops.
Apr 22, 8:31 PM
Feb 2015
Shizuru got her wish, she able to find small people like Gulliver's travel. Akira is mushroom infested so she can't do anything this episode
Apr 22, 10:56 PM

Dec 2009
The fact that people aren't more disturbed by the concepts presented in this is telling.

The 7G bit was hilarious and the way they decorate it to be silly... but if you actually think about what it is they are actually witnessing, this is existential horror of the highest order. If there's anything that is hard to convince, it's how anyone is even remotely sane. The girls seem to only being able not to instantly commit suicide, by living in a state of denial and disbelief.

All of it is very neat, it's funny, the girls are cute... Akira high af makes me just want to squish her forever. But like damn, how are these girls going to survive? They've nearly died several times in ways that are to traumatizing to consider, the mushroom life will probably be the gentlest death ever presented to them.

...The thought of any of these states of existence anywhere along the way being conscious...
GenesisAriaApr 22, 10:59 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Apr 22, 11:11 PM

Dec 2019
This anime can be really bizarre and disgusting at times lmfao. I love the surreal backgrounds and just how ridiculous and absurd the whole thing is.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Apr 22, 11:53 PM

May 2019
It's pretty much obvious at this point, but as what has been made abundantly clear, the girls are only going to encounter more weird and hostile creatures that were once each stop's inhabitants as they approach Ikebukuro.

Reviewing what happened in this episode:

And as was hinted at the end of last episode, there was no way Akira was going to get out of Higashi-Agano without a mushroom attached to her in one way or another, it just had to be in a more unfortunate place and with more serious consequences.

As for the distance, once again thanks to the 7G incident, places and distances have shifted so much that it's taking longer than expected to reach their end destination. It looks like each station is roughly a day's travel apart, but for my part, I'll just keep the real-life distances at the end of each episode if I bother to comment for each. But given the circumstances of the long travel times even between stations, it looks like the girls will have to take turns on shifts on who will be driving the train. Obviously, the dead man's switch will most likely engage the emergency brakes in the event Shizuru falls asleep at the controls, but it's best to avoid the risk of applying them, lest the girls are unable to start back up in the face of danger.

Personally, I think the nighttime visuals are rather striking as it's filled with various celestial bodies. And although the daytime scenes aren't necessarily my favorite, I still appreciate the effort put into shaping the landscape of this 7G-altered world. And of course, Zenjirou-san trying to be helpful through communication but always going off on a tangent, lessening the effectiveness of their 5 minute conversation window. Other than that, looks like the girls have made it to Inariyama-kōen [SI 22] being the most normal-looking town, albeit at a much smaller scale, with Shizuru & Reimi scouting out a doctor to treat Akira.

21 Stations, 35.9km left to Ikebukuro

Also, love Reimi's mention of the Densha de Go! games. Haven't played them yet personally, but I wouldn't give up the chance to try it out.
Apr 23, 12:17 AM

Feb 2016
Holy shit this episode was so fkng fun, I had a blast, this anime is peak.

There is no real need for them to stop in every station tho, but they do it anyways, that's dumb but fun lol

I love how the weird ass map they got is actually correct.

Animal people > Mushroom people > Goat people > Plant people > Golf balls > Root people > Theme park city (were they went to the bathroom, it was short) > Jizo people > Giant organs (???) > Miniature people
This episode ended in the 10th station.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 23, 12:27 AM

Sep 2018
Ay, my "prediction" of Reimi pulling the shroom out of Akira's butt actually came true! This episode overall was fairly scary, at least to me. They've been in danger before, but when they were attacked by the goat people, it seemed like a wakeup call to the girls that the world is out to get them and they need to be 100% serious about protecting each other. When they discussed taking turns driving the train, it felt like a parallel to travelers/armies taking shifts keeping watch at night. I know people were predicting that this would get dark from the start, but I'm not holding out hopes for a happy ending.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

56 by teraphIl1000 »»
Today, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 6

85 by Aletheia_xxx »»
Yesterday, 6:03 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 29

76 by MasterHavik »»
May 11, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1

190 by Mrchocolateeater »»
May 9, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15

118 by MasterHavik »»
May 8, 10:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.