Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 18, 5:10 AM
Nov 2021
I Don't like the mecha genre. So i want suggestion that should i watch this series❓
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 5:15 AM

Jun 2016
Yeah it's good.
Word of advice, the "Mecha" genre is very diverse so you shouldn't be so prejudiced against it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 18, 5:15 AM

Sep 2016
I don't like Mecha either, but Evangelion is still one of my favorite Anime.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 18, 5:22 AM

Oct 2023
The fights with the robots are cool, but the focus is on the characters. I’d say give it a chance, you might like it.
Apr 18, 5:27 AM
Feb 2021
I’d say both this and Gurren Lagann are worth checking out even if you don’t like the genre. Which more so in Evangelion the mechs barely play a part past a certain point.
Apr 18, 5:33 AM
Dec 2022
I mean yeah but if you end up not liking it and use the fact you don’t like mechas in general it will just sound silly imo.
Apr 18, 5:37 AM
Feb 2022
I haven’t watched any mecha anime but robots aren’t exactly the main focus of Evangelion. I personally loved it so I’d say to give it a try and see if you are going to like it
Apr 18, 5:41 AM
Mar 2024
no, you shouldn't
Apr 18, 5:46 AM
May 2022
Evangelion is way more than just a mecha anime so I’d say go for it! It’s about the characters, their differences and what brings them together more so than the mecha side of things. One of my personal favourites!
Apr 18, 6:00 AM
Sep 2023
No, it’s complete dogshit. Don’t waste your time
Apr 18, 6:18 AM
Feb 2024
It may be "deep" and all, but at its core it's a legit really boring show most of the time. (no spoilers here) the last episode consists of someone asking the same question like 5 times, then the mc answering it 5 times, and this repeats for that whole episode. none of the characters are likeable, which is on purpose. It does interesting stuff, but so does everything else.
Apr 18, 6:20 AM

Jul 2022
I don't care for mecha stuff either, but this is still one of my favorite shows ever.

It's really a character study that just happens to have giant robots.
Apr 18, 6:25 AM
Jan 2022
please dont watch this
Apr 18, 6:30 AM
Mar 2021
I hate mecha, but loved evangelion. it depends really but I think it’s a must watch for everyone
Apr 18, 6:38 AM

Aug 2015
I love mecha but I hate Evangelion. It has mechs in it but it doesn't really have a lot of similarities to other mecha series.
Controversial opinions
Apr 18, 6:39 AM
Mar 2023
you might be gay but i am gayer
Apr 18, 6:45 AM
May 2011
>Doesn't like mecha
>Gave both seasons of Code Geass 10/10

?
Apr 18, 6:46 AM
Aug 2022
Lonely_kun said:
I Don't like the mecha genre. So i want suggestion that should i watch this series❓

well you'll be surprised to learn that this show a) subverts the tropes of the mecha genre(at least of the time) and b) only really *starts* with a focus on mecha. the show is so much more than that.
Apr 18, 6:54 AM
May 2022
Yes, shouldn’t even be a question, one of my favorite works of fiction of all time.
Apr 18, 7:02 AM

Aug 2018
You should definitely watch it. Give the mecha genre a try. It won't hurt.
Apr 18, 7:09 AM

Apr 2012
It's something which everyone needs to watch and make up their own minds about. It's not really particularly similar to anything else, so genre preferences can be ignored.
Apr 18, 7:09 AM
Jul 2023
Don’t watch it unless ur really depressed
The first time I watched it I hated it, the second time I watched it I was on the floor crying watching the last two episodes
Apr 18, 7:21 AM

Apr 2022
i wouldn't call myself a mecha fan either, yet this and gurren lagann are two of my favourites of all time. despite my love for it, i don't know if i'd ever recommend it to anyone so make up your own mind.
Apr 18, 7:23 AM
Jan 2022
yes, absolutely, certainly
Apr 18, 7:27 AM
Jan 2021
No it’s terrible..:
Apr 18, 7:36 AM
Oct 2023
This show goes beyond the scope of Mech Anime, so yeah def give it a watch. And don’t watch in a poor frame of mind, it will only serve to make your feelings worse.💀😂
Apr 18, 7:50 AM
Nov 2022
I was hesitant to watch it because I don't like mecha too. But I gave it a try and enjoyed watching it. Maybe it'll be the case for you.
Apr 18, 7:58 AM
Apr 2017
Yes. Also, if u get into mecha you'll find out that people don't watch it for the mechs, but for the character writing, world building and plot.
Apr 18, 8:09 AM
Jun 2023
Eva isn't really about mecha.

It's also considered one of the best anime in human history. Of course you should watch it.

At least try it so you can see what you're missing out on. I tried One Piece after avoiding it for years because I thought it looked stupid because I didn't like the art style. but I gave it a chance and now I'm 1,000 episodes deep.

Don't judge a book by its cover, or a movie by its trailer or only watching a few minutes.
There is much to appreciate about Eva, even if you do not like it. And the series is so short that, even if you don't like it, it'll expand your pallet and refine your tastes, and you'll be able to explain what you don't like about it when looking for other suggestions.

There's lots of anime I don't think people should waste their time on, but Eva isn't one of them.

If you like the series, watch The End of Evangelion next. And if you want more, there's the remake movies that are a more positive, reimagined continuation conclusion to the story, made years after by the same director when he was in a better headspace. I don't regret watching any Eva.
Something_MoreApr 22, 9:49 PM
Apr 18, 8:14 AM
Mar 2023
I recommend. I was also reluctant to watch this anime, but in the end I don't regret watching it. plus it's not typical "mecha", and the anime focuses more on the philosophy and problems of the characters. or at least that's how I felt :3
Apr 18, 8:17 AM
Jun 2017
Eva is less a mecha show and more about how people deal with psychological damage from a catastrophe. If you have psychological issues or a personality disorder or know someone close in your life that has then I would recommend the show. If not then you will likely be confused why all the characters seem constantly whiney, depressed, and seemly irrational.
Apr 18, 8:25 AM
Mar 2023
Evangelion is an emotion within itself definitely watch it
Apr 18, 8:37 AM
Apr 2023
You will either hate it or love it. No in between. Personally I hate it but I can understand what makes this anime that good for some people.

And if you don't stick in your head that this is a Mecha anime you will probably watch it without problems, since there is more than that to it.
Apr 18, 8:41 AM
Mar 2021
Lonely_kun said:

Without saying anything, Short, Yes. Long, You should probably think about it first, because I would recommend watching this in a stable mental state
Apr 18, 8:49 AM
Oct 2022
According to your favourites I think you won't like it too much, but you should try
Apr 18, 8:55 AM
Jul 2023
Evangelion is a must-watch. I can't guarantee that you'll like it, but it's famous for a reason. Like everyone else has said, disliking mecha shouldn't really matter for this particular story.
Apr 18, 9:25 AM
Apr 2024
of course, evangelion is best anime ever
Apr 18, 9:50 AM
Jun 2023
DON'T watch Evangelion. This is the worst anime I've watched so far. I don't even know how I could reach the end of that. The problem isn't the old graphisms but that there are very bad characters and bad développements. There are many very boring moments, the story is repetitive. Well, the 2 last episodes are pretty ok ones but they've no relation with the rest of the series. I suffered watching that.
Apr 18, 11:06 AM
Jul 2019
Lonely_kun said:

If you like wannabe depressing edgy teen shit that doesn’t make sense and never explains anything just to come off as artsy and intellectual, then this is the show for you
Apr 18, 11:14 AM
Aug 2023
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀no
Apr 18, 11:15 AM

Mar 2024
Yes, it's even considered revolutionary. Still, I don't even like it.
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 18, 12:49 PM
Nov 2023
Eva is one of my favourite animes, I like it so much!
Apr 18, 2:24 PM
Jul 2023
DO NOT watch this if you’re trying to get into mecha. This is advertised as a mecha show with some psychological stuff in it but in reality, it’s hardly even a mecha, it’s just psychological. There’s much better staples of the genre to help you get into mecha. It’s like saying you want to get into Shonnen and starting with Vinland Saga. It is NOT a staple of it’s genre. It just uses the genre to make a point
Apr 18, 2:30 PM
Nov 2023
I’m not into the mecha genre, either. But I do think it’s the kind of anime everyone should at least try to watch once.

This is a show I deeply connected with and had really changed me as a person. That’s at least my own personal experience.

Most people here said it better, which was that the show isn’t about the shiny robots fighting and the interesting world they live in and it’s more so about the characters learning to find value inside themselves and learn to live with themselves.

The ending may not be satisfying. But if you really liked this series but hated the ending, I suggest you go ahead and watch the 4 movies that came after this and end of Eva. (Btw end of Eva is an alternative ending that’s also canon to the manga that will probably leave you unsatisfied)
TwigzLIVEApr 18, 2:40 PM
Apr 18, 4:49 PM
Aug 2020
I thought I didn’t like mecha until I realized a lot of my favorites were mechas. Code geass, bokurano, rahxephon, and Eva all entranced me. Eva’s probably the weakest story wise to me, since it’s a bit esoteric, but if you like old style anime at all it is a must watch.
Apr 18, 5:48 PM
Feb 2016
I recommend you watch the rebuild movies.
Apr 18, 8:49 PM
Apr 2024
Lonely_kun said:

yes it's so much more than just a mecha anime.
Apr 18, 11:55 PM
Jun 2021
NO (In the style of Nick)
N! O! (In the style of Coach)
Apr 19, 12:16 AM
Dec 2020
Shingeki no Kyojin theoretically is Mecha too, so you should not judge anime by their tags
Apr 19, 12:20 AM
Apr 2014
leekyg said:
I thought I didn’t like mecha until I realized a lot of my favorites were mechas. Code geass, bokurano, rahxephon, and Eva all entranced me. Eva’s probably the weakest story wise to me, since it’s a bit esoteric, but if you like old style anime at all it is a must watch.

Yeah, same. A lot of my early favorites were mecha shows, and that includes the OG Evangelion.

TBH, I'm not quite sure what the reason for disliking mecha specifically is. People always say "I don't like mecha, but I DO like *insert mecha show here*" and there's like a million variations of it. It actually ironically makes the genre come across as being quite varried and having a lot to offer if a lot of people have their own exceptions for which ones they apparently like. It also makes me wonder which ones they've actually tried.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.