Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 15, 11:57 AM
Oct 2019
I would like to express my absolute disgust and hate towards people that came up with the "chronological order" and started presenting it as the "correct way" to watch this anime.

I have been slowly adding shows to my list that I have not seen in a long time and Haruhi Suzumiya was one of them, because I did not remember much I decided to give it a rewatch before ranking it just to find myself in a weird spot, the order of the episodes did not make sense to me...

Are the new anime fans room temperature IQ and cannot handle stories that are not chronological or something? I just do not get it, how can you be so egotistical to think that "your order" is more valuable than the order the freaking show was aired in!

Because I rewatched 10 episodes before realising this I was forced to put the ranking of the show as a whole on hold and now I have to wait few years to forget it again so I can watch it in the correct release order... I am disgusted with what this community has become...
Apr 15, 12:29 PM
Nov 2023
I’ve watched it both ways, and it works both ways. I agree that ‘chronological order’ is just a way of dumbing it down for those who can’t piece the story together in their heads but if that’s a how a minority prefer it, it’s no worse than watching dub. It allows access to the series for people who would otherwise get confused and give up.
Certainly not something to get disgusted over…
Apr 15, 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
I'm just wondering how you accidentally watched in chronological order, because that seems... odd.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 15, 12:46 PM

Dec 2015
LostSpectre said:
I'm just wondering how you accidentally watched in chronological order, because that seems... odd.

wasn't it rearranged in Japan when earlier episodes repaired along the new series?
Apr 15, 12:52 PM

Jul 2015
It's almost as if the studio (and even author) chose such order for a reason or something...

Apr 15, 12:53 PM

Oct 2017
Or maybe it's because the original story was meant to be viewed chronologically, you know the LN and manga? You can sure have a story not air chronologically however, I fail to see any benefit in Haruhi unlike say Baccano!. Also it's not a mark of intelligence to prefer or only like linear stories. Still is this is some bait thread or something lol?

@FutoiOtaku

A media preference is not an indication of intelligence lol. Especially, when Haruhi is originally a linear story. You guys need to pat yourself on the back less. If Peter Jackson decided he wanted to adapt LOTR out of order it wouldn't make it "smarter".
Apr 15, 12:59 PM
Nov 2023
BilboBaggins365 said:
Or maybe it's because the original story was meant to be viewed chronologically, you know the LN and manga? You can sure have a story not air chronologically however, I fail to see any benefit in Haruhi unlike say Baccano!. Also it's not a mark of intelligence to prefer or only like linear stories. Still is this is some bait thread or something lol?

@FutoiOtaku

A media preference is not an indication of intelligence lol. Especially, when Haruhi is originally a linear story. You guys need to pat yourself on the back less. If Peter Jackson decided he wanted to adapt LOTR out of order it wouldn't make it "smarter".

Rather an aggressive put down thanks, although this is MAL and everyone here seems to think being rude is cool. Almost like primary school…
But besides that, yes I failed to fully include all possibilities so I accept some unintentional fault here. It is indeed a matter of taste and choice as well as intellect, both reasons to watch in any order, as well as dub, are valid.
Apr 15, 1:00 PM
Apr 2020
chronological order does destroy a lot of the experience
Apr 15, 1:00 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to FutoiOtaku
BilboBaggins365 said:

@FutoiOtaku

Rather an aggressive put down thanks, although this is MAL and everyone here seems to think being rude is cool. Almost like primary school…
But besides that, yes I failed to fully include all possibilities so I accept some unintentional fault here. It is indeed a matter of taste and choice as well as intellect, both reasons to watch in any order, as well as dub, are valid.
@FutoiOtaku

You are being rude by indicating people who disagree with your are of lesser intelligence lol. If you start with an insult, expect a retort. You could take your own advice and apply it to yourself.
Apr 15, 1:03 PM
Nov 2023
BilboBaggins365 said:
@FutoiOtaku

You are being rude by indicating people who disagree with your are of lesser intelligence lol. If you start with an insult, expect a retort. You could take your own advice and apply it to yourself.

Really well done, lowering a discussion to mudslinging through your over sensitivity. Don’t bother replying, I’m done with your kind.
Apr 15, 1:03 PM
Jul 2023
As a fate fan, I cannot agree more 😭
Trying to make perfect sense of something like this in fiction is just so stupid. Get a basic understanding of how it works and just roll with it all, not everything has a perfect solution or even needs one in the first place
Apr 15, 1:06 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to FutoiOtaku
BilboBaggins365 said:
@FutoiOtaku

Really well done, lowering a discussion to mudslinging through your over sensitivity. Don’t bother replying, I’m done with your kind.
@FutoiOtaku

Mudslinging is when I say you should "pat yourself on the back less" not "I agree that ‘chronological order’ is just a way of dumbing it down for those who can’t piece the story together in their heads" okay lol. Mudslinging "hey don't be so full of yourself" not mudslinging "if you don't like it my way, and the way that goes against the author's original vision you are a brain dead troglodyte" lol.

You are the one whining about someone making fun of your position, to me that is the definition of oversensitive. Still I got a kick of your hypocritical nature. Thanks for that.
Apr 15, 1:15 PM
Nov 2023
BilboBaggins365 said:
@FutoiOtaku

Mudslinging is when I say you should "pat yourself on the back less" not "I agree that ‘chronological order’ is just a way of dumbing it down for those who can’t piece the story together in their heads" okay lol. Mudslinging "hey don't be so full of yourself" not mudslinging "if you don't like it my way, and the way that goes against the author's original vision you are a brain dead troglodyte" lol.

You are the one whining about someone making fun of your position, to me that is the definition of oversensitive. Still I got a kick of your hypocritical nature. Thanks for that.

Mudslinging is when you enter a discussion and don’t reply to the OP with your own opinion, but read the replies of others looking for someone to be offended by and then continually escalate your troll behaviour over a series of poorly constructed arguments. It appears hobbits and trolls are pretty much the same species. Get help. Oh, and it seems your reason to take offence is your actual sub-50 IQ…
Apr 15, 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
Rei_III said:
LostSpectre said:

wasn't it rearranged in Japan when earlier episodes repaired along the new series?

I think a S1/S2 (combined) release might have been in chronological, otherwise didn't both seasons air "out of order"?

Oh, the 2nd season aired with the first 14 episodes, but all put in chronological order, how confusing.
LostSpectreApr 15, 1:53 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 15, 2:56 PM
Jul 2019
You couldn't have said it better, chronological order makes no sense and the story seems to be perfectly fine, thank you sir.
Apr 15, 3:05 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to FutoiOtaku
BilboBaggins365 said:
@FutoiOtaku

Mudslinging is when you enter a discussion and don’t reply to the OP with your own opinion, but read the replies of others looking for someone to be offended by and then continually escalate your troll behaviour over a series of poorly constructed arguments. It appears hobbits and trolls are pretty much the same species. Get help. Oh, and it seems your reason to take offence is your actual sub-50 IQ…
@FutoiOtaku

Ahem the actual definition:

"the use of insults and accusations, especially unjust ones, with the aim of damaging the reputation of an opponent."

So to me, you are attempting to cast fans of the chronological watch order as stupid, which is an insult, that isn't true. It is also an assertion, that is damaging the credibility of fans of something you don't like. Basically, nah your comments literally fit the description of mudslinging lol according to the dictionary. I guess 100+ IQ individuals are those that disregard what words mean.

I also never denied I ever wasn't mudslinging only that you started it and yeah my comments were pretty tame compared to you and the OP. Which again, you escalated. That is classic cry bullying right there lol.

Finally nah, I just take offense to those who victimized themselves, and operate from some hill of self righteousness. You aren't smarter than others because you prefer to watch Japanese cartoons another way kay? Stop taking offense over getting called out for being a snob.. Either double down on being a snob or just stop with the backhanded comments. If you don't say stupid garbage people won't be unpleasant to you. How the world works.

Also thought my responses don't warrant a response lol.
BilboBaggins365Apr 15, 3:12 PM
Apr 15, 3:12 PM
Feb 2016
You don't even understand why they aired the show out of order in the first place.
Apr 15, 3:30 PM
Feb 2022
this anime shit get serious, I'm OUT
Apr 15, 3:36 PM

Jan 2020
Well, I don't know... I think they kinda tought the non-chronological order was a bad decision once they saw how much the anime got famous. Because one season in random order is okay, but a problem is born the moment you want to make more seasons. That's why they probably aired it in chronological order the second time.

Also, the LN and manga are in chronological order. Only the anime isn't.
And since the LN is the source material, I prefer to go with a chronological order, as the author intended.
Apr 15, 3:37 PM

Sep 2021
Just watch in RELEASE ORDER who TF even watches in Chronological Order funny thing it makes no fkn sense in any Anime.

Like recently they made a stupid "Chronological Order" for Horimiya and Horimiya Piece this includes literal time stamps who in their right mind want to watch it that way.

Another Perfect example of this propaganda "Stein's Gate 23 b Drama" to make you watch Stein's Gate 0 because they say you need to see this so you can understand apparently "something" and that "something" is missing utter B.S there was nothing missing Stein's Gate is a Masterpiece.

I'm glad I didn't watched Stein's Gate 0, I nearly fell for it as a new Stein's Gate watcher back in 2019 or 18 and many people new to Stein's Gate also avoid that.

There is no need to watch Stein's Gate 0 just finish the series, watch the movie, special episode if you want that's it and if you are still interested then watch Stein's Gate 0.
Furuhashi1Apr 15, 3:50 PM
Apr 15, 3:47 PM
Oct 2020
Watch it however you want. They aired it a certain way, but if you enjoy chronological order, then watch it that way. It’s not anything to be disgusted about
Apr 15, 3:52 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Pitto_
Well, I don't know... I think they kinda tought the non-chronological order was a bad decision once they saw how much the anime got famous. Because one season in random order is okay, but a problem is born the moment you want to make more seasons. That's why they probably aired it in chronological order the second time.

And since the LN is the source material, I prefer to go with a chronological order, as the author intended.
Pitto_ said:

The novels are not actually chronological, but they are reasonably close. The novels place Sigh before Boredom, and Disappearance before Endless 8, to give a couple of examples of stories that are not chronological.
At least the novels start with Melancholy. I guess that makes kyo-ani "egotistical" for splitting up the volume in 2006.
その目だれの目?
Apr 15, 4:05 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to BilboBaggins365

@FutoiOtaku

@BilboBaggins365 Where in my original post do I imply that people who prefer chronological orders in shows have lower intelligence? The main thing I was ranting about was how we who enjoy the original charms and mystery of the original one have to comply with the demands of people who "cannot understand anything that is not chronological" That was my freaking point.

How you enjoy your stories does not imply anything about your intelligence, not understanding them however does
Apr 15, 4:09 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to LostSpectre
@LostSpectre It is sadly rearranged like that almost on every single streaming website
Apr 15, 4:15 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Tsuna-Ryu
@BilboBaggins365 Where in my original post do I imply that people who prefer chronological orders in shows have lower intelligence? The main thing I was ranting about was how we who enjoy the original charms and mystery of the original one have to comply with the demands of people who "cannot understand anything that is not chronological" That was my freaking point.

How you enjoy your stories does not imply anything about your intelligence, not understanding them however does
@Tsuna_Nihilist

Are the new anime fans room temperature IQ and cannot handle stories that are not chronological or something?

Umm this one lol.

The main thing I was ranting about was how we who enjoy the original charms and mystery of the original one have to comply with the demands of people who "cannot understand anything that is not chronological" That was my freaking point.

One that is an assumption, which again you are using to paint people of disliking the original direction as being unintelligent rather than you know like my friend who just hated the fact Haruhi didn't you know adapt it in the order like it is in the original work lol (won't comment too much off that just going off his words I have yet to get around to the LN/manga). As for myself, after seeing it yeah I don't see the benefit. I have enjoyed works that do tell stories in non linear formats but there are specific benefits to doing that. I don't see that in Haruhi.

Yeah but again the premise is that people who recommend and promote the chronological watch order could be or likely people who can't understand non chronological storytelling. Therefore, they are dumb yeah that pretty much is starting this out with an insult to people who disagree with you because you are painting fans who hate the original direction as potentially being unintelligent. Get it?
BilboBaggins365Apr 15, 4:20 PM
Apr 15, 4:51 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to BilboBaggins365
@Tsuna_Nihilist

Are the new anime fans room temperature IQ and cannot handle stories that are not chronological or something?

Umm this one lol.

The main thing I was ranting about was how we who enjoy the original charms and mystery of the original one have to comply with the demands of people who "cannot understand anything that is not chronological" That was my freaking point.

One that is an assumption, which again you are using to paint people of disliking the original direction as being unintelligent rather than you know like my friend who just hated the fact Haruhi didn't you know adapt it in the order like it is in the original work lol (won't comment too much off that just going off his words I have yet to get around to the LN/manga). As for myself, after seeing it yeah I don't see the benefit. I have enjoyed works that do tell stories in non linear formats but there are specific benefits to doing that. I don't see that in Haruhi.

Yeah but again the premise is that people who recommend and promote the chronological watch order could be or likely people who can't understand non chronological storytelling. Therefore, they are dumb yeah that pretty much is starting this out with an insult to people who disagree with you because you are painting fans who hate the original direction as potentially being unintelligent. Get it?
@BilboBaggins365

I am way too tired for this...

1) In the quoted text I am implying that people who do not understand the non-chronological order are dumb, not those who do not enjoy it... Honestly, you could have however interpreted the words "cannot handle" as an expression for enjoyment, which I honestly do not see it as, but if that is the case it was not meant to be that way

2) I am not smart either, but that does not, however, stop me from calling others dumb, especially those who understand less, think the entire world revolves only around them, and that the order they understand the most must be the correct one... yup room temperature IQ I was speaking of

3) Anime aired for the first time in a certain way, I want to see it that way, I do not care if the other adaptations of it are different, or if it ever aired in a different order. The first order is the final order and anything else is just an altered experience (which can be both good and bad), I do not care if it is better or worse, it is how it was intended when it first came out, so if anybody presents any other order as "the correct one" they are just plain wrong and delusional
Tsuna-RyuApr 15, 4:54 PM
Apr 15, 5:32 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Tsuna-Ryu
@BilboBaggins365

I am way too tired for this...

1) In the quoted text I am implying that people who do not understand the non-chronological order are dumb, not those who do not enjoy it... Honestly, you could have however interpreted the words "cannot handle" as an expression for enjoyment, which I honestly do not see it as, but if that is the case it was not meant to be that way

2) I am not smart either, but that does not, however, stop me from calling others dumb, especially those who understand less, think the entire world revolves only around them, and that the order they understand the most must be the correct one... yup room temperature IQ I was speaking of

3) Anime aired for the first time in a certain way, I want to see it that way, I do not care if the other adaptations of it are different, or if it ever aired in a different order. The first order is the final order and anything else is just an altered experience (which can be both good and bad), I do not care if it is better or worse, it is how it was intended when it first came out, so if anybody presents any other order as "the correct one" they are just plain wrong and delusional
@Tsuna_Nihilist

I mean you framed it as people enjoy this preference simply because they don't have the ability to enjoy non chronological stories. Whatever if that is not your intent. I just don't see how your question could be framed as anything other than that.

Secondly, even if someone hates non chronological stories, that doesn't make them ignorant. People don't like episodic shows, that is a valid preference. In my opinion, most stories don't benefit from anything other than a linear narrative. Some exceptions, like stories that feature unreliable actors who make a huge impact on the story.

Third, yeah but the LN/Manga didn't come out that way, so it has been changed to fit the original work. It first aired in an altered way. Would you complain about the original work not being like how it aired? Plus why does it matter? Simply just look up the original air dates and watch it that way if it matters that much.
Apr 15, 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Tsuna-Ryu
@LostSpectre It is sadly rearranged like that almost on every single streaming website
@Tsuna_Nihilist Yeah, my mistake, that's because the chronological order is official after the release of S2.
Apr 15, 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Furuhashi1
Just watch in RELEASE ORDER who TF even watches in Chronological Order funny thing it makes no fkn sense in any Anime.

Like recently they made a stupid "Chronological Order" for Horimiya and Horimiya Piece this includes literal time stamps who in their right mind want to watch it that way.

Another Perfect example of this propaganda "Stein's Gate 23 b Drama" to make you watch Stein's Gate 0 because they say you need to see this so you can understand apparently "something" and that "something" is missing utter B.S there was nothing missing Stein's Gate is a Masterpiece.

I'm glad I didn't watched Stein's Gate 0, I nearly fell for it as a new Stein's Gate watcher back in 2019 or 18 and many people new to Stein's Gate also avoid that.

There is no need to watch Stein's Gate 0 just finish the series, watch the movie, special episode if you want that's it and if you are still interested then watch Stein's Gate 0.
@Furuhashi1 The only valid argument you made here was in regards to S;G.

Only S1 of Haruhi is out of order, and Horimiya was a very rushed adaptation.
Apr 15, 10:13 PM
Jun 2022
tf y'all watching this in release or chronological order? it was my first anime and i accidentally misplaced 2-3 episodes and I yet to know wtf order did I watched it. while I was watching movie i realised I missed an episode which was like most important to the story as he went to past there and i wasn't getting the references still it wasn't anything confusing.
same again happened with second season where I don't know why but I watched last episode initially and started watching other episodes. 😂
Apr 16, 12:16 AM
Sep 2021
regardless of what order it doesn't really has a story and it's bad regardless lol
Apr 16, 12:38 AM
May 2020
In my experience the show is more enjoyable in chronological order. I first watched in release order, and while it wasn’t that confusing, scrambling the plot around like that doesn’t create an interesting “mystery” or “puzzle to piece together” or whatever. It has the same effect scrambling the order of any great show would have. It just makes it less enjoyable.

More people will enjoy the show if they watch it in chronological order. Whatever order someone prefers is fine. Skipping endless eight is fine too, I don’t care. Whatever lets people enjoy the show is best.
Apr 16, 3:08 AM
Dec 2023
I just finished watching Haruhi for the first time. Before I started watching it, I read a couple posts and decided to watch s1 in broadcast order and s2 in chronological order. It was confusing at first but I enjoyed the way the story was unfolding.

I had difficulty with Haruhi herself, esp in s2 but started warming up to her after the movie. Now, I’m almost done with the spinoff series which makes me appreciate all the characters even more.
Apr 16, 8:06 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to onespankman
In my experience the show is more enjoyable in chronological order. I first watched in release order, and while it wasn’t that confusing, scrambling the plot around like that doesn’t create an interesting “mystery” or “puzzle to piece together” or whatever. It has the same effect scrambling the order of any great show would have. It just makes it less enjoyable.

More people will enjoy the show if they watch it in chronological order. Whatever order someone prefers is fine. Skipping endless eight is fine too, I don’t care. Whatever lets people enjoy the show is best.
onespankman said:
It has the same effect scrambling the order of any great show would have.

Yeah, I wonder why fans of "broadcast order" don't watch every show out of order.
その目だれの目?
Apr 16, 10:52 AM
Mar 2022
It was literally re-aired in chronological order, because they realized the original order made no sense. You had multi-part episodes interrupted by other episodes. It did the one thing people hate about filler, despite the filler being canon, just at a different point in the series. The chronological order was an official re-airing and restructuring of the anime, the chronological order wasn’t created by fans.
Apr 16, 11:01 AM
Mar 2022
LostSpectre said:

Because the episodes were re-aired in chronological order when season 2 released. This is the official order that is on every streaming service. OP wanted to watch the series in the original way the series aired, which involves watching the series out of order. To sum it up, you actually have to go out of your way to watch this anime the way it initially aired, which was out of order. But I don’t understand the reason for hating on the fact that the makers of this series OFFICIALLY fixed the order and put it in chronological.
Apr 16, 11:49 AM
Feb 2020
Congratulations on winning the "silliest post of the day" award

Chronological order is not only the author's intent AND the studio recommended sequence, it's also how virtually all of us watched it in the 00s when it was newer

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 16, 2008

61 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 18, 12:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.