Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 15, 11:10 PM

Feb 2014
Holo was able to flex her knowledge in this episode. It's amusing to see her splurge on a massive bunch of apples, which she did them all, but she used that to her advantage later on when it came to negotiations with another merchant.

Lawrence did a good job initially, but Holo took over and played such a blinder in making the poor merchant pay far more than what Lawrence was going to agree to. The talk about the differences of currency was also very intriguing as well. A bit complex at times, but it's still enjoyable to watch.

Kevin Penkin's soundtrack has been very nice so far, where his songs does play well in a lot of scenes so far. After 3 episodes, this reboot has been very good. Hopefully this form will continue further into the series. =)
Apr 15, 11:40 PM

Mar 2007
Oh Holo, I love it when you turn the tables on other merchants, with the fur that now smells of fruit, mmmm.
Apr 16, 12:19 AM

May 2015
Did just Holo commit fisc fraud ?
Apr 16, 12:33 AM

Jul 2021
Holo out in public, though it seems no one will remember her. This Pazzio town/city is a very interesting area with a really nice design. As i said last episode discussion i really like the overall design of the area around the main cast such as the wilderness and the far off backgrounds and such. I dont know why but its become a thing i enjoy in recent times, another example being Frieren and the overall design of that show.

Holo and her apples, it was cute between her and Lawrence when he realized she wanted them and he just started explaining things to her. She also ate a suprising amount of them aswell and the amount you get for one silver coin is absurd.

Along with Holo getting more silver coings for the furs, it was suprising to see her swindle the other merchant guy and get 210 coins instead the amount of 140 Lawrence was gonna get, but i guess she really sold him on the idea of the furs being Premium.

Zheren really swindled Lawrence with this new coin or whatever he was getting at, though towards the end of the episode he realized whats happended and its all thanks to Holo and her giving him a new perspective.

Apr 16, 12:59 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
I was just waiting for the economics stuff to start. The scene with the pelts was so good, Holo could even sell fire to the devil.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 16, 2:39 AM

Oct 2020
Lawrence got scammed out of ten Trenni Silver coins.
Apr 16, 2:49 AM
Apr 2021
LMAO I was not expecting to see Holo the Swindler in this episode she really showed us that she can be pretty frightening from going all happy and clueless to being the smartest person in the room

Lawrence getting a little jelly at seeing Holo getting some lewd hand action from Weiz bro really doesn’t like seeing his wife being friendly with others💀

I’m sorry but why is Holo’s voice so fucking cute like I can’t put my finger as to what word to describe her adorable voice but she always has this “I told you so” smug type voice and it’s just so cute🥰
Apr 16, 2:52 AM
May 2021
Holo really embarrassed that trade merchant 🤣. Adorable yet she’s so cunning

Also liked how Lawrence got jealous of that womanizer getting all touchy w Holo

Apr 16, 3:45 AM
Mar 2019
I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an anime that deals with currency economics...Oh wait. hihi
Apr 16, 4:10 AM

Jul 2022
I really don't regret deciding to watch this anime; it's quite entertaining, especially because of Holo's captivating and charismatic personality. I'm impressed by the master class Holo and Lawrence gave us on economics; the plot about the currency value change is very interesting. I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 16, 4:20 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Holo is the best trader lol, that was so clever and the merchant didn't see anything. Now seems like that whole new money profit is a scam but apparently they know how to counter it hm
Apr 16, 7:31 AM
Oct 2019
God damn Holo can negotiate.

Learning more about economics, that's why we watching this Anime.
Apr 16, 7:31 AM

May 2010
Best episode so far, absolutely getting the banter I love now
Infinite growth is the ideology of a cancer cell
Apr 16, 7:43 AM

Jul 2011
ok but even my grandma can see that scam from a mile away. Am I supposed to be impressed?
Apr 16, 8:15 AM

Jul 2014
Can we name Holo best girl of the season already? My god, I'm loving her so much. What a great performance from Ami Koshimizu.
Apr 16, 8:23 AM

Jan 2014
It's odd that I find it interesting, all they do is talk most of the time but somehow after it ends, I wish for more. 24 minutes runtime seems so short. It ended before I realized it.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Apr 16, 8:42 AM
May 2023
holo is my wife. mwahhaa
Apr 16, 8:43 AM

Mar 2019
Holo, the master of commerce hehe. 🍎🦊
Apr 16, 9:15 AM

Jul 2021
Marinate1016 said:
IhnalakoKaina said:
kevin penkin's got such an obvious jingle now. In this episode he used the same one as in the rising of the shield hero season 2, the Ost leitmotif. Tell me it isn't true, I dare you. It has almost reached the level of recognizing yuuki kajiura's music by the first 3 seconds it plays.

I mean that’s literally any artist? I can tell a Sawano or metro booming song instantly as well.

Right but there are degrees to it. This is my own conjecture, but kajiura and penkin's sounds and motifs are much more characteristic and identifiable to someone who's not particularly into any anime composer. This is not to say that hiroyuki sawano is not original or good, 86 soundtrack is awesome, but his music varies a lot more than the former, is all.
Apr 16, 12:28 PM

Sep 2013
The gradients in Holo's hair color seem rather extreme, she looks blonde in a lot of shots where the hood is up.

It may have to do with the outdoor lighting being brighter also as it didn't look as extreme indoors.

Apr 16, 3:55 PM
Jul 2022
Great episode. Love learning about Economics from Holo.
Apr 16, 4:49 PM

May 2021
I am going to have cuteness overload if this keeps going on.

Apr 16, 5:35 PM

Sep 2023
The sly Holo is always ten moves ahead! With Lawrence merchant’s knowledge, they make a great pair.
Apr 16, 7:39 PM

May 2022
I am simply loving all this. Holo's tail is the best part. They are upgrading and doing better the first version of the anime. I could count as watching the episodes two times cause I go back every moment to see again the scenes.

Once again, Lawrence and Holo teaching me mercantilism and monetary speculation.
Apr 17, 12:18 AM
Sep 2021
In my home country, we have slang term "meaty" to explain a kind of content that contains educational matters. Well, this episode is worthy to labelled as "meaty".
Apr 17, 4:08 AM

Feb 2016
It took 3 episodes for Holo not to be naked lol, I'm starting to see why everyone likes her so much.

Btw I can't understand why Lawrence decided to accept such a dogshit deal, even if that guy was telling the truth why would anyone accept to give him a % for doing absolutely nothing? lol
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 17, 6:22 AM
Jan 2023
Holo is a lot smarter than I thought, yeah, she was called stupid for using a whole silver coin on apples, but she also managed to profit many more. Impressive.

A great look into the economy too, gotta love it. Now for the painful week long wait for the next episode....
Apr 17, 6:51 AM

Jun 2019
I love Holo so much. AHHHH. She's so cute. The way she acts and how intelligent she is. The best girl there is. I'm taking economics classes while watching this show. I love it so much. Jealous Lawrence was pretty nice to see as well. I like their chemistry so much.
Apr 17, 8:20 AM

Jan 2018
Bruh. Holo basically scammed that merchant. Tho I supposed it was less lying and more exaggeration of the truth... At the end, Holo's wisdom says that the loser shouldn’t feel bad about losing and instead be impressed for getting caught... Maybe that's how it works in the business world.

You'll lose things from greediness but won't gain anything from abstinence. Wise words. I don't think it's wrong to indulge in things from time to time. But this shouldn’t be your only philosophy.

Damn. Holo looks so damn cute. They did a great job with her expressions.

I'm enjoying the economics aspect way more than I thought. Mostly thanks to Holo. But this is one of the anime where I need to pay close attention to subs. Otherwise I'd get lost pretty easily... Hopefully the other episodes are also this exciting.

Can't wait for the next episode. I wanna know what will happen with the coin scam.
Apr 17, 6:11 PM

Nov 2008
A couple of thoughts on the episode:

That city has huge defensive walls. They must have some serious enemies to justify the costs to build and maintain such fortifications. And such long walls require a rather large military force to defend them. And they are debasing their currency - that generally isn't a good sign of the economic health of a city-state like that.

Holo is quite the vegetarian predator. Have we seen her eat any meat so far? Sure, I had a Dalmatian that would snack on fruit, but when it came to her meals she wanted meat!

Apr 17, 9:47 PM

Sep 2018
Whenever I would hear about this show, people would say that it's basically economics the anime, now I understand why. I used to be into collecting old coins and paper money (though I only got a small collection myself), so I'm really enjoying this aspect of the show so far. Though I haven't been able to figure out how Lawrence is going to profit from this, so I'm eagerly waiting for the next ep!

Now I'm wishing I bought gold certificates before they became a trend and everyone started collecting them...
Apr 17, 10:28 PM

Oct 2016
The best episode so far! As Holo was selling the apples, I was shocked because I could tell immediately that she was scamming the man. I really excited to see the next episode after that cliffhanger! (8.5/10)
Apr 18, 6:50 AM

Jan 2017
"Males are all jealous idiots. And females are idiots who feel happy about such things. The world is full of idiots," by Holo. Well said. Very well said.
Can't help dancing with the OST too 🧡🧡🧡
Apr 18, 11:57 AM
Dec 2023
its kewl ye i think the animation nad VAs are 10/10
Apr 18, 8:32 PM

Oct 2022
Lawrence just found out about shorting, hoping Holo won’t teach him about leverage lmao

Apr 19, 6:07 AM

Dec 2022
I love how she walked the length of the cart as they passed the fruit stand in order to keep looking at the apples.

Apr 19, 7:27 AM
Mar 2020
I have always enjoyed the apples and marten pelts trick that Holo employed.
Apr 19, 8:31 AM

Jul 2017
Both Lawrence and Holo going into the king-less nation of Pazzio, and the first thing that attracts Holo's attention are apples, of which one of Lawrence's friends are into the fruits business. And one single silver coin for a heap of apples, both of them head to where Zheren has appointed them to, aside from selling the usual fur pelts, of which despite the Wise Wolf not knowing much about the merchant market, involving some of her intelligence to fetch a better price. Who'd think that apples can help raise the price of pelt fur, but with an economy like Pazzio's, everyone is just doing business as they are.

Back to Zheren's story about a silver coin which is minted of high quality, his deal may sound suspicious, but merchants like Lawrence are risk-takers, even at a loss for various types of silver coins that have differential power, which is what holds Zheren's deal. Even asking a friend out as a currency dealer, Weiz may not be able to tell them apart, but Holo has her secrets too, which confirms that Zheren has tricked Lawrence, even at a loss that he would not lose monetary value. Still, this developing story has Lawrence figure out the story behind the coins, of which he has figured out its origin.

Zheren is only but a swinding influencer, the real evil hook of the currency economics lies straight at the source.
Apr 20, 9:28 PM
Jul 2022
master piece, holo love best girl
Apr 20, 9:47 PM
Apr 2023
holo es el personaje femenino mejor escrito del anime que he visto.
Apr 21, 5:53 AM
Feb 2022
Holo really is one mysterious Demi human, as her adventure and taste for food keeps marching on
Apr 21, 7:47 AM
Sep 2021
Thanks to the advice of Holo, Lawrence is going to ride on a big wave in his business.
Apr 21, 10:06 AM
Sep 2017
teasing scene holo
Apr 21, 12:02 PM
Nov 2022
Economics classes and the function of currencies: the episode.

I think I understood the problem of coins but it cost me a lot xd
Apr 21, 1:13 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The mystery under the silver coins ....

Holo was a "bad girl" and thanks to the apples won 70 coins more!!!
kekeke
Apr 21, 4:11 PM
Apr 2024
I really like the chemistry between Holo and Lawrence. The show looks really good so far
Apr 21, 5:09 PM
Mar 2024
increíble recreación del anime es tal cual como lo recuerdo pero con sus toques originales me encanta
Apr 22, 9:33 PM
May 2023
ancantadora, la quimica de ambos se ve que esta mejor desarrollada
Apr 23, 3:27 AM

Oct 2007
10/10
Holo's reactions are perfectly portrayed.
Her banter with Lawrence, changes in mood depending on situation, ahhh it's all so good.

antoninus_v said:
I love how she walked the length of the cart as they passed the fruit stand in order to keep looking at the apples.
Moments like this are what gives soul to the anime.
ProgeuszApr 23, 3:35 AM
Apr 23, 12:42 PM

Nov 2020
The plot with these pieces of silver is not very interesting, but watching the main characters' relationships is still pleasant.
4/5
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

51 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

113 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

93 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
36 minutes ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

29 by access_flash »»
2 hours ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 11 hours ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
2 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.