Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 24, 2:34 PM
Apr 2020
The way Holo speaks, it makes me smile everytime.
Apr 28, 3:18 AM
Jan 2018
Pre-orders for Holo nendoroid is out btw y’all! Prices are finally reasonable again for her at least, haha
Apr 29, 7:10 PM

Dec 2022
Holo doesn't hesitate to let the forked tongue lash, however, she just as often slings plentiful WISDOM
Apr 30, 5:38 PM

Aug 2014
I rly like her reaction! so kawaii
it is enjoyable to watch this story, but would be perfect if scenery is even more detailed.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
May 1, 7:40 PM

May 2015
Holo sure swindled that merchant! I think her theory of him learning from it will be accurate. I definitely see how modern anime gals were inspired by her character here and there. She's pretty impulsive, in a good way.
May 2, 8:28 PM

Dec 2019
It only occurred to me in this episode that this story has one of the best framing devices through which to deliver exposition that I've ever seen in a story. The show uses the framing device of one character (Holo) being unfamiliar with how the story's world works, so that a more knowledgeable character (Lawrence) can explain its many aspects to her (and by extension, the audience). Plenty of other stories have used this framing device before, however, Spice and Wolf adds to it by having Holo be sufficiently intelligent to make educated guesses about the workings of this world, making the interactions between her and Lawrence more dynamic than they would be if Lawrence were simply dryly explaining it to her/us. It's these kinds of storytelling details that keep me interested in the show, even when the economics jargon starts turning my brain into oatmeal (which it always does, both in this story and real life).

Is slavery a common and accepted thing in this world? As Holo haggled with the trading company guy, she kept referring to Lawrence as "Master", which would seem to indicate she was pretending to be his slave. I checked the sub and confirmed this wasn't a dub addition. I don't remember anything about this from the 08 series; can anyone who's read the books confirm if this comes up therein?

And now we come to an unfortunate detail of this story that I was hoping the people making this adaptation would have the sense to omit:

Holo reveals herself in the guise of a maiden fair
She appears a girl in the flower of youth ...

This detail, along with Wikipedia stating Holo's physical age as 15 (the article doesn't cite a source, but I'm sure someone who's read the books could point me to where in the books or supplementary material this is specifically stated), is one of the things which gave me pause when watching the 08 series years ago. It's not just that this detail is creepy, it's also meaningless. The author easily could have either modified the detail to explicitly state that Holo's human form is that of an adult woman (which is what she looks like, to my eye), or cut it entirely, and nothing fundamental would change about the story. And yet its presence gives me the unsubtle impression that this detail was added for the wish-fulfillment of the author (and any readers/watchers who might share such a proclivity).

I could write an entire essay about the anime community's failure to criticize blatantly pedophilic aspects of the stories we consume, but suffice to say, if my bringing up this detail of Spice and Wolf's story caused your brain to immediately start coming up with reasons why the anime community actually doesn't have a pedophilia problem, or why all the examples people cite as to why the anime community has a pedophilia problem are actually totally fine, THERE IS SOMETHING FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG WITH YOUR PRIORITIES.

If your response to my pointing out the anime community's pedophilia problem is merely to scream at me, or to make some snide remark, or try to cite someone who has "destroyed" that claim, do us both a favour and DNI.
CartoonVelocirapMay 2, 8:35 PM
May 3, 2:12 PM

Jul 2019
Lovely episode, with a not so brief excourse into monetary history. It looks like the conflict of the first arc is about to peak and our duo might be forced to join this expedition north and leave town soon. At least that is my suspicion.
May 5, 3:47 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Now we're getting into economics and what a way to do so. Not only was Holo able to make a better deal than Lawrence but he gave him a really good bit of info which will probably come in play next episode. Man, keeping up with currencies can be pretty hard and I know that from local experience exchange.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 5, 6:36 PM

Jul 2012
Love seeing this show grow the relationship between Holo and Lawrence!!
May 6, 6:23 AM

Feb 2021
That wolf sure know how to negotiate XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 7, 5:08 PM

Apr 2008
Calling it now, they're gonna short the silver coin exchange market next ep.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

2 by APolygons2 »»
53 minutes ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

27 by bvajen2 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

91 by CartoonVelocirap »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13

47 by Ashhk »»
Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.