Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 15, 6:23 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Hello~

I am aware that SAO got so many criticism either from genuine critics or from the bandwagon sheep who thought it was cool to hate on SAO especially several years ago but nevertheless I still enjoy watching it despite I think SAO could be much better .

I really hope SAO Progressive could really redeem the Aincrad Arc which was a wasted potential in SAO 2012 anime, and so far the SAO Progressive so enjoyable so I have high hopes :)

Anyway, I like SAO's visual and I enjoy Aincrad Arc and GGO the most ^.^

What about you?

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 15, 6:34 AM

Jun 2016
SAO looks and sounds nice and I even enjoy the the story sometimes.
The issue is that whenever I start liking it something incredibly stupid happens that brings it down and that pisses me off because it could be a lot better.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 15, 6:37 AM

Aug 2015
I've only seen the first season, and I hated it the whole way through. Otaku pandering wish-fulfillment cringe at its worst.
Controversial opinions
Apr 15, 6:47 AM
Oct 2015
I do/did genuinely enjoy SAO because of its sound design, graphical design, story, interesting premise, etc. but i do agree with lots of the criticism. The thing that pains me is that the idea of SAO could be done so well if it got the same treatment as alicisation got. in my opinion Alicisation was a much better executed story.
Apr 15, 6:49 AM

Sep 2016
Rinrinka said:
Overall do you enjoy watching SAO?
S1: no
S2: no
Alicization: yes

Rinrinka said:
What do you like about it?
S1: opening 1
S2: nothing
Alicization: story, soundtrack, Alice & Quinella
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 15, 6:50 AM

Apr 2020
I feel like the whole "trapped in an MMO" -thing is a pretty cheesy concept.

Combine that with the overpowered, edgy Mc and his steadily growing Harem of Girls that admire his Teenage-Coolness and all I can say is: This is not for me. But I can see why young boys would really, really dig it.
Apr 15, 7:05 AM
Mar 2024
I rated 1st season 2/10 and the second one 1/10. (I forgot my alicization scores). I liked an idea for it and most of the characters but Kirito. Uhhh Kirito. He's a bad character. An edgy boy, skilled, perfect definition for a character that 12 year old kids would like. In the first part of the first season we can see the battle to stay alive. It was really interesting but the romance part was badly made. The second part was over-dramatized and... uhhh... why does the second season exist? The second season was totally bad. Still there are positives like a good world building, characters and of course animation and music.
Apr 15, 7:13 AM
Feb 2021
_shoxi said:
I rated 1st season 2/10 and the second one 1/10. (I forgot my alicization scores). I liked an idea for it and most of the characters but Kirito. Uhhh Kirito. He's a bad character. An edgy boy, skilled, perfect definition for a character that 12 year old kids would like. In the first part of the first season we can see the battle to stay alive. It was really interesting but the romance part was badly made. The second part was over-dramatized and... uhhh... why does the second season exist? The second season was totally bad. Still there are positives like a good world building, characters and of course animation and music.

Never read the ln or manga huh makes since
Apr 15, 7:14 AM
Mar 2024
adaminop said:
_shoxi said:

"watching" she/he asked, I answer
Apr 15, 7:15 AM
Oct 2019
Season 1 was ok, season 2 was good for ggo. Didn't watch any of the movies or season 3. GGO spin off is the best so far for me. So overall it's a ok franchise not bad but not good either my take might change when I watch the rest someday.
Apr 15, 7:16 AM
Feb 2021
_shoxi said:
adaminop said:

I will just keep copying and pasting this. One of the reasons why the second half sucked was because after Reki Kawahara finished the Aincrad arc that was where the story was supposed to end. He wrote SAO Aincrad arc for a light novel competition in like 2002 and unexpectedly got a top prize. Then the publishers were like “ok cool great story. Soooo… whats next?” He had no schooling under his belt for writing or story telling when he wrote the Fairy Dance arc. If that answers your question of why it sucked
Apr 15, 7:17 AM
Mar 2024
adaminop said:
_shoxi said:

I will just keep copying and pasting this. One of the reasons why the second half sucked was because after Reki Kawahara finished the Aincrad arc that was where the story was supposed to end. He wrote SAO Aincrad arc for a light novel competition in like 2002 and unexpectedly got a top prize. Then the publishers were like “ok cool great story. Soooo… whats next?” He had no schooling under his belt for writing or story telling when he wrote the Fairy Dance arc. If that answers your question of why it sucked

I am rating what I got. It's bad so I rate it with a bad rating.
Apr 15, 7:18 AM
Feb 2021
Also people will fight me and call me names for this. Buttttttt….. if you think about it SAO could have been one of the first iseki’s because it was written in 2002. Let that fester a little and see what hate i get. 🤣🤣🤣
Apr 15, 7:21 AM
Nov 2018
I remembered watching it, but not all the details. I don't remember hating it. It was a OK show at best. I enjoy the spin off Gun Gale way better. If I had to choose I like the arc where he first met Shino and had to deal with Death Gun.
MoppitApr 15, 7:28 AM
Apr 15, 7:21 AM
Jun 2021
ofc I enjoyed watching the 1st and second season of sao one of my favorite survival and games anime (epic world .. epic fight .. epic animation )
My Rate 1st season 8/10
If you likes survival games anime you need to watch SAO
what u re waiting for
Apr 15, 7:24 AM
Feb 2021
I love SAO! it gets wonky in some spots, but to me, it's overall a good time. I love the relationship Kirito and Asuna have, that's the main reason I enjoy the show so much.
Apr 15, 7:31 AM

Apr 2021
Rinrinka said:
Hello~

I am aware that SAO got so many criticism either from genuine critics or from the bandwagon sheep who thought it was cool to hate on SAO especially several years ago but nevertheless I still enjoy watching it despite I think SAO could be much better .

I really hope SAO Progressive could really redeem the Aincrad Arc which was a wasted potential in SAO 2012 anime, and so far the SAO Progressive so enjoyable so I have high hopes :)

What about you?

Finally, someone else has also revealed the obvious truth, that’s refreshing to see.

SAO (the entire series) is an enjoyable anime to watch from beginning to end.

Naturally, I respect honest criticism, but pay no attention to the mindless gullible sheep haters.
ejleonApr 15, 7:43 AM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Apr 15, 7:46 AM

Mar 2016
Back when season 1 came out, I watched it during the air time, it was good damn fun all things considered, but it wasn't good. But, all of us had fun nonetheless.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Apr 15, 8:02 AM
Dec 2021
Rinrinka said:
Hello~

What about you?

I love it very Much. Animation , Soundtracks, Sound effects,Story and Characters design.
I always wished to see this idea made "Black Dressed Swordman fighting with 2 swords and one of them Black and fighting alongside a powerfull White dressed Long hair girl."
Also one thing about the Rape scenes my opinion is that they were needed only because the fact that SAO took the idea that Villains have to be Hated.
Let's face it over 60% or more when u ask someone what's their favorite character from an anime they'll say a villain.
Apr 15, 8:20 AM

Jan 2023
I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t personally biased because SAO was one of my first anime outside of my childhood. Is it groundbreaking and absolutely fantastic? Ehhh… Is it fun? Yeah, I had a good time watching SAO even if it’s kind of a meh show from a narrative perspective.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Apr 15, 8:28 AM
Jun 2022
the action, the Opening, Kirito, Asuna, and Alice, leafa, every arc, I love SAO it's my favorite anime of all time 💯💯
Apr 15, 8:29 AM
Apr 2022
I personally liked every part of SAO except for the Alfheim Online arc (second part of S1). Absolutely hated the elf antagonist and the direction he was taking the story.
Apr 15, 8:37 AM

Dec 2020
Alicization was actually pretty decent, I enjoyed it. Everything else, not so much.
Apr 15, 9:17 AM
Nov 2022
People call demon slayer mid. You can basically criticize anything.
Apr 15, 10:23 AM
Nov 2021
Rinrinka said:
Hello~

What about you?

I like the nostalgia I now get from it. Since I first watched it over 10 years ago. Other than that I weirdly like the art style I know it has same face syndrome but there’s something very charming about the art. It also feels very uncut and raw to me. Which can be seen as a bad thing. It also carries a novelty to it. It was the first really mainstream popular isekai. And one of the first gaming anime ever
Apr 15, 11:26 AM

Jul 2017
When youre at that stage of new anime fan, its the second coming of christ, but after a while when you think about it or rewatch it, you realize how stupid it all is and you get annoyed by the the fact there is an alternate reality where sao couldve been a masterpiece if it was SLIGHTLY better written.

i do not like anything after the midpoint of season 1, and even the first 13 episodes are bogged down by stupid writing decisions

The progressive remake movies capture the sao essence and imo is the definitive way to experience sao in 2024 and beyond,

Also ggo alternative anime is better than original sao change my mind
Apr 15, 1:18 PM
Jan 2021
It’s really good still imo. There are flaws of course, but it’s so funny how people will clown on it but yet will rate a clone of it like a 9/10. Nothing wrong with NOT liking the anime, but it’s really not as bad as people say it is. Just people wanting to be in the majority.

Btw, power fantasy / wish fulfillment anime does not equate to bad. You can’t say a genre is bad, you just don’t like it.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 15, 1:21 PM
Jan 2021
Merve2Love said:

Combine that with the overpowered, edgy Mc and his steadily growing Harem of Girls that admire his Teenage-Coolness and all I can say is: This is not for me. But I can see why young boys would really, really dig it.

No hate, but like the second half of your point is legit the Persona 5 protag // which your pfp is of. So idk
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 15, 1:24 PM
Jan 2021
_shoxi said:

Yeah, I can respect your point, but I never understood that type of point. While Kirito may be over powered, it makes sense why, hence he knew everything about the game before the anime.

Also, he’s not the “perfect” protag since the whole anime, especially S1 P2 showcases his mental instability. He’s just strong, that’s really it.
Apr 15, 1:26 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to official_brown
Merve2Love said:

No hate, but like the second half of your point is legit the Persona 5 protag // which your pfp is of. So idk
@official_brown

The argument is: "You like Persona 5, so don't talk about edgy, Teenage-Mc's!"
Is that it? xD

Sorry, but that's just a bit ridiculous. The Persona Games are more than just the Main Character beeing a cool/rebellious Teenager^^
Play it :) You'll understand. It's not comparable.
Apr 15, 1:28 PM
Jan 2021
Merve2Love said:
@official_brown

Is that it? xD

Sorry, but that's just a bit ridiculous. The Persona Games are more than just the Main Character beeing a cool/rebellious Teenager^^

I mean, I’ve beaten it and Royal 4 times, and also played all of the Persona games save for 1 2. Yeah, there is more to SAO than an overpowered harem MC too? You have to give both of them more props.

They are both teenage, edgy, harem, OP MCs. Which is what your entire point was about. So yes, both are completely comparable, especially the Persona 5 protag comparatively to 3 and 4 protag. It’s completely comparable by using your own comparisons.

How is “rebellious” not edgy???
Apr 15, 1:47 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to official_brown
Merve2Love said:
@official_brown

Is that it? xD

I mean, I’ve beaten it and Royal 4 times, and also played all of the Persona games save for 1 2. Yeah, there is more to SAO than an overpowered harem MC too? You have to give both of them more props.

They are both teenage, edgy, harem, OP MCs. Which is what your entire point was about. So yes, both are completely comparable, especially the Persona 5 protag comparatively to 3 and 4 protag. It’s completely comparable by using your own comparisons.

How is “rebellious” not edgy???
@official_brown

You've beaten the game and you watched SAO. You should get the difference.

SAO is, first and foremost, a powerfantasy, with a self insert MC. And while you could say the same about the Persona Games, there's so much more to them.
AND, don't forget this, there's also a gameplay aspect, that makes you enjoy/consume both things in a totally different way. It's simply not comparable.

You're hung up on both MC's, beeing rebellious/cool Teens.
I don't dislike Teenagers beeing portrayed in fiction. They can be edgy, they can be cringey. I get it. It's fine. I just think that SAO does it in a way that isn't for me, anymore. Persona 5 gives it more depths and far more thought.

You're not using my own points to argue the Topic.
You're using my own points to change the subject -> You're steering it into a Persona vs SAO discussion :)

So, without defending P5 anymore: SAO's MC is an edgy, stereotypical mess that isn't enjoyable for me to watch.
I think you have to deal with that fact. Cause it won't change, no matter how many times you're pointing the finger at other stuff I enjoy^^
Im sorry.
Merve2LoveApr 15, 1:52 PM
Apr 15, 1:56 PM
Jan 2021
Merve2Love said:
@official_brown

SAO is, first and foremost, a powerfantasy, with a self insert MC. And while you could say the same about the Persona Games, there's so much more to them.
AND, don't forget this, there's also a gameplay aspect, that makes you enjoy/consume both things in a totally different way. It's simply not comparable.

I don't dislike Teenagers beeing portrayed in fiction. They can be edgy, they can be cringey. I get it. It's fine. I just think that SAO does it in a way that isn't for me, anymore. Persona 5 gives it more depths and far more thought.

You're using my own points to change the subject -> You're steering it into a Persona vs SAO discussion :)

So, without defending P5 anymore: SAO's MC is an edgy, stereotypical mess that isn't enjoyable for me to watch.
I think you have to deal with that fact. Cause it won't change, no matter how many times you're pointing the finger at other stuff I enjoy^^
Im sorry.

Your 1st point:

I wasn’t comparing the genres, I was comparing the MCs by merely what you said. Not anything else. So comparing genres or mediums was not my point at all, nor am I going to respond because I do know the differences, but you weren’t talking about it.

2nd point:

That’s a completely valid point, I was merely asking a question, was not a jab at you or your interests.

3rd point:

I wasn’t doing a P5R vs. SAO debate. I was doing a Joker vs. Kirito just based on the words you mentioned. I had a similar conversation with a person regarding Banana Fish vs. SAO. She was harping that SAOs sexual assault scenes were bad (I agree). But I compared it to BF because that show also used it for a convenient plot device. So she was being basically 2 faced by liking it in one anime and hating it in another when they both serve the same purpose in their respective anime.

So basically, it just seemed like I hate this one thing in one anime but it’s fine in another thing.

4th point:

I think people simplify SAO too much and over explain their favorite media that is being compared. To win an argument about this people will dumb down something (Kirito) and over explain the opposing side (Joker). I think both protags are fine, but I don’t like the oversimplication of him just to prove a point. Many people do this on here, so that’s why I brought it up.

TL;DR 🧏‍♂️🤫
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to official_brown
Merve2Love said:
@official_brown

Im sorry.

Your 1st point:

I wasn’t comparing the genres, I was comparing the MCs by merely what you said. Not anything else. So comparing genres or mediums was not my point at all, nor am I going to respond because I do know the differences, but you weren’t talking about it.

2nd point:

That’s a completely valid point, I was merely asking a question, was not a jab at you or your interests.

3rd point:

I wasn’t doing a P5R vs. SAO debate. I was doing a Joker vs. Kirito just based on the words you mentioned. I had a similar conversation with a person regarding Banana Fish vs. SAO. She was harping that SAOs sexual assault scenes were bad (I agree). But I compared it to BF because that show also used it for a convenient plot device. So she was being basically 2 faced by liking it in one anime and hating it in another when they both serve the same purpose in their respective anime.

So basically, it just seemed like I hate this one thing in one anime but it’s fine in another thing.

4th point:

I think people simplify SAO too much and over explain their favorite media that is being compared. To win an argument about this people will dumb down something (Kirito) and over explain the opposing side (Joker). I think both protags are fine, but I don’t like the oversimplication of him just to prove a point. Many people do this on here, so that’s why I brought it up.

TL;DR 🧏‍♂️🤫
@official_brown

Well, maybe I got a bit defensive there, my bad.

You said something about oversimplifying, just for the sake of winning an argument. That might happen, on here. But I wasn't doing that.

I do think that SAO is a really, really simple story, with really basic writiting and characters. P5 is not. I know a hundred interesting things about Joker (partly cause I play as him....) and the world he lives in. Kirito is a storytelling device, to me. A character that I can't really get myself to perceive as believeable and fleshed out. He serves a purpose.

But of course Im pretty biased when arguing about this. True.^^

That's what people do on here, tho....We have strong opinions about a lot of stuff, that we like
and we're quick to disregard thoughts about the things that we don't like :P
Apr 15, 3:12 PM
Jan 2021
Merve2Love said:
@official_brown

Well, maybe I got a bit defensive there, my bad.

You said something about oversimplifying, just for the sake of winning an argument. That might happen, on here. But I wasn't doing that.

I do think that SAO is a really, really simple story, with really basic writiting and characters. P5 is not. I know a hundred interesting things about Joker (partly cause I play as him....) and the world he lives in. Kirito is a storytelling device, to me. A character that I can't really get myself to perceive as believeable and fleshed out. He serves a purpose.

But of course Im pretty biased when arguing about this. True.^^

That's what people do on here, tho....We have strong opinions about a lot of stuff, that we like
and we're quick to disregard thoughts about the things that we don't like :P

No worries, haha. You gotta sorta be defensive on here because 90% of people will just troll. But all good, I understand what you mean.
Apr 15, 4:55 PM

Mar 2013
Kirito is me when I was a kiddo.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 15, 6:23 PM
Mar 2019
awesome anime every season was a banger the story the art the English dub voice acting is awesome the story keeps me on the edge of my seat
Apr 15, 7:37 PM
May 2023
I wish I was kirito
Apr 15, 8:00 PM
May 2021
SAO has always been a banger for me, but Alicitization was what really put it into gear…season 1,2,3 were like seeing a Lamborghini parked, and Alicitization was like getting to test drive it. Nothing beats the scene Eugeo comes into conflict with the prime directive and losing an eye, or seeing Alice care for Kirito at the start of last season…heartwarming.

Gun gale was awesome as well. Not sure why any of the series gets hate. I guess I get why people don’t like Alfheim, but the ending still had me on edge.
Apr 16, 12:13 AM
Aug 2021
i really enjoy the romance between asuna and kirito alone. No love triangle bullshit, no harem needed, asuna and kirito is cute enough. (They’re a top 15 couple for me)
Apr 16, 4:58 AM
Oct 2023
YES. Majorly because it was my first anime and also because apart from the useless incest and sexualizing asuna, it was good enough for the 13 year old me.
Apr 16, 6:41 AM
Sep 2022
hi! sao was the first anime that i saw in my childhood-adolescense so is my safe place. I usually rewatched it and make me feel like is everything ok :')
Apr 16, 8:10 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to BitingTiger
I do/did genuinely enjoy SAO because of its sound design, graphical design, story, interesting premise, etc. but i do agree with lots of the criticism. The thing that pains me is that the idea of SAO could be done so well if it got the same treatment as alicisation got. in my opinion Alicisation was a much better executed story.
@BitingTiger Agreed, Alicization was making me more interested on the story and it didn't waste time like in Aincrad Arc, hopefully SAO Progressive wouldn't make the same mistake as the 2012 one :)

Apr 16, 8:14 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Thatboidriz
I wish I was kirito
@Thatboidriz Why did you wish to be Kirito?

As for me I wish Nervegear and normal SAO game existed ^.^

Apr 16, 8:15 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Kreshre
awesome anime every season was a banger the story the art the English dub voice acting is awesome the story keeps me on the edge of my seat
@Kreshre It kept me on the edge of my seat too in early episodes knowing they could die for real

Apr 16, 8:19 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to mrjdko
i really enjoy the romance between asuna and kirito alone. No love triangle bullshit, no harem needed, asuna and kirito is cute enough. (They’re a top 15 couple for me)
@mrjdko Agreed, I love how consistent Kirito is with Asuna, albeit the author seems to want to make SAO harem by adding new girls who like him every arc :D

Apr 16, 8:24 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to nicotinaotaku
hi! sao was the first anime that i saw in my childhood-adolescense so is my safe place. I usually rewatched it and make me feel like is everything ok :')
@nicotinaotaku I see, glad rewatching SAO makes you feel good because that's what I feel too...

good luck :)

Apr 16, 8:43 AM

Dec 2018
The main series got pretty mediocre with the fairy arc and stayed that way until Alicization. The Progressive movies are better than the main series particularly because it seems better written and it focuses more on Asuna.

Apr 16, 8:55 AM
May 2023
official_brown said:
Merve2Love said:
@official_brown

Im sorry.

Your 1st point:

2nd point:

3rd point:

4th point:

TL;DR 🧏‍♂️🤫

did bro mew in an anime thread.

it's all over for us 😭
Apr 16, 9:56 AM
Jan 2021
holo-simp said:
official_brown said:

Your 1st point:

2nd point:

3rd point:

4th point:

TL;DR 🧏‍♂️🤫

did bro mew in an anime thread.

it's all over for us 😭

You gotta do whatcha gotta do, ya know? 🧏‍♂️🤫
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore?

Hango-Man - Apr 27

35 by DAMT34 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Apr 26, 4:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.