Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 13, 12:06 PM

Jun 2016
I have a point, look:

First year had 2 seasons (26 episodes) and a one OVA to develop characters and to dive into their's troubles and experiences. Roughly 9 hours. It was great - focus on a band, Kumiko&Reina relationships, Asuka drama. It was great, meaningful and rich for emotions. Not to mention very interesting to watch. I was always recommending the series to my friends and relatives.

Second year had... Two movies - Liz to Aoi Tori and Movie 3: Chikai no Finale, one OVA - Ensemble Contest-hen. 3 hours. Liz to Aoi Tori was focused mainly on Mizore&Nozomi relationships and felt more like an OVA. And Chikai no Finale had EVERYTHING (competition wise) from the first year condensed in one single movie? And some first-years drama sprinkled over it? And in OVA we heard NOTHING from the actual Ensemble Contest. ZERO MUSIC. I was so dissatisfied.

Third year will have one 13 episode season as I understand. 4 hours.

I have no problem with the first year of Kumiko at Kitauji but after that series feels rushed and underdeveloped as for me. I hardly remember names of a new characters we got in the Movie 3. Not to mention that their conflict is hardly meaningful. Third year and third season already feels like a lot of stuff is missing and they are already moving to ending.

Am I alone with this feeling?
Apr 13, 1:50 PM
Feb 2020
i agree, but hey at least i think it won't be as rushed as her second year ... i think
Apr 13, 1:53 PM
Oct 2017
You are right but these are the original source fault, not really anime/KyoAni related
Apr 13, 2:01 PM

Mar 2023
It really depends on how many characters it has to handle.
S1/S2 had to deal with new characters from 3 different years being introduced, plus teachers, parents, sister and so on.
Movie had to deal with 1 year worth of characters being introduced.
Same for this season, just some new characters are introduced unlike s1/s2 where all characters were new.

If it has nothing interesting to say or develop it's gonna time skip more.
Apr 13, 6:30 PM
Nov 2016
They just handled it they way they felt the original novels needed it the most, if that's how they wanted to tell the 2nd year, who can even begin to tell kyoani they shouldn't?

I feel it wouldn't have been worse if they treated every year the same.
I also wouldn't assume the 3rd year would be just this season based on how much work went on how to adapt each of the previous ones.
Apr 13, 8:51 PM

May 2021
I appreciate the perspective you gave here for the first and second years worth of adaptation. I haven't given this much thought until now but it's an interesting point to make.

Since I haven't read the source material it's hard for me to say whether or not they've done the adaptation poorly since the first year. However it does feel like since they introduced the new first years, back when the gang was still in their second year, the show has seemingly sped up quite a bit. Like you said I was misremembering character names left and right. At one point I was confused as to whether Natsuki and Yuuko were even attending the school still LMAO. That was cleared up not long after, but regardless this wasn't an issue for me in the first year. Honestly thought I was going crazy or wasn't paying enough attention, but I'm realizing that it was just going quicker than I had anticipated.

I'm hopeful that this season isn't the only content we get for Kumiko's third year but I do worry that this is it. I guess the trailer they released before the first episode was a bit telling in that sense, but still I'm positive they will at least do a good job with this current season.
Apr 14, 2:27 AM

Dec 2015
NO!
the first year we had a new anime with a lot of characters and a concept of winning a concert(?) band that want to reach the zenkyoku kin! to describe and deal with them all we need a more time...
in the second year they are not going to even national competitions then who gives a f*ck? while we had a brilliant movie called liz to aoi tori!!
and third year.. who knows... we are just in the start...
Apr 14, 6:43 AM
Apr 2024
I agree. Season 1 and 2 are practically masterpieces. The movie Liz and the Bluebird is also good. The movie "Chikae No Finale" is bad... the worst part of this franchise. The next movie is already better, but the feeling of watching it is still not as good as from season 1 and 2. What season 3 will be like, I can't say yet, I'll wait for all the episodes.
Apr 14, 8:45 AM

May 2015
What's the matter, your exact same topic on reddit get to many downvotes you had to repost it here?
Apr 14, 8:48 AM

Apr 2020
Now...Im not saying you're wrong or anything but.....
Can you...maybe....figure out a reason why that is?

There was a certain event that may have contributed to KyoAni having to slow it down a bit... You know, keep that in mind.
It's just Anime, in the end. And you got a new season to consume. Be greateful :)
Merve2LoveApr 14, 8:52 AM
Apr 14, 9:33 AM

Mar 2008
No.
Too much would become repetitive, and second year didn't had much drama.
Apr 15, 12:46 AM
Sep 2021
Honestly im so dissapointed that we only got movie for second year arc, so many interesting new students got wasted. But I dont think this season is counts as rushed. S1 are introduction for the content of this series such as character and the club itself, S1 also serves as preparation for main conflict that happen in S2, the conflict in that season was so severe compared to 2nd year.
Apr 16, 10:07 AM

Dec 2020
I agree in parts but I think it's also important to consider that the first season had to introduce all of the characters, the instruments and what it means to play the instruments, and all of the competitions. What I mean is that in the first two seasons there was a focus on each stage on the competition because there had to be, sunrise, local competition, more regional competition etc. However if there were to do that again it would feel too repetitive and the narrative would drag. There's alot KyoAni can achieve in 13 episodes and I'm sure it will be great, however if the season was more than 13 episodes, I would have loved that too. Potentially KyoAni might do a movie for when Kitauji inevitably make it to nationals too.
Apr 16, 12:02 PM

Nov 2023
I don't really know about pacing since I didn't read the LN or novel idk. But I being an anime only fan love this show ^_^
PinoffinApr 21, 11:06 PM
I might never be the hands you put your heart in
Or the arms that hold you any time you want them
But that don't mean that we can't live here in the moment
'Cause I can be the one you love from time to time
Apr 16, 5:55 PM

May 2021
While it certainly feels a tad bit more rushed than S1/S2, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. As someone has already mentioned, they only had to introduce one year's worth of characters whereas at the beginning of the series, we dealt with 3 whole years. To add on to that, they didn't exactly make it very far so I suppose they decided not to spend too much time on the 2nd year.

Apr 20, 7:04 PM

Jul 2013
The first year was the introduction as well as the fact that the band was trying to get back on their feet. A lot of their traditions and mindset had to be changed.

The second and third year already have the foundation to build on. The new system is already established and accepted. There's naturally less to show.
Apr 28, 11:14 AM
Feb 2016
Reply to AugustoMamilo
i agree, but hey at least i think it won't be as rushed as her second year ... i think
@AugustoMamilo

It is still very rushed. There is no arc, only episodic stories. But hey, we are 1/3 in the season and there are the local, regional AND national contests to do... not forgetting the summer training camp... there's just too many damn thing to put in a single season. I am guessing they would need at the very least something like a 18ep season. If they dont finish it, seeing how unpopular it is - just look the number of members watching - I am guessing there wont be any sequels. So yeah. Not very optimistic for this franchise I love so much.
Apr 28, 5:00 PM

Apr 2010
Reply to Marsen-P
@AugustoMamilo

It is still very rushed. There is no arc, only episodic stories. But hey, we are 1/3 in the season and there are the local, regional AND national contests to do... not forgetting the summer training camp... there's just too many damn thing to put in a single season. I am guessing they would need at the very least something like a 18ep season. If they dont finish it, seeing how unpopular it is - just look the number of members watching - I am guessing there wont be any sequels. So yeah. Not very optimistic for this franchise I love so much.
@Marsen-P it’s very popular in Japan, where it matters the most. Even airs in a mainstream time slot over there.

A Quick Look into the series Twitter account is very telling, around 400k followers, most tweets getting lots of views..

It’s also a kyoAni production, they are always high on the production committee, they do whatever they want, even the much smaller tsurune gets getting sequels for that reason.
Apr 28, 5:47 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to Marsen-P
@AugustoMamilo

@Marsen-P They even skipped the SunFes performance ffs you are right, but I don't mind it being episodic stories.
Apr 29, 1:46 AM
May 2017
I always got the idea that coverage on their second year was shorter from like an importance standpoint? Like taking extended time on a year where they don’t win again…

I’m not sure if this is coming across right, but I can say that I’d hoped there would have been another 13 to follow this one— seeing that isn’t the case, I am a little curious about the pacing for the rest of the season. I feel pretty optimistic because the episodes themselves have felt like enough happens in them, and a lot can happen in 9 episodes. And who’s to say they won’t come up with more little extra movies like May the Melody Reach You and Liz and The Blue Bird. I like how they enrich the story for people who want a little more.

At the same time, if they’re just going to let a good thing end, I can see it being done in 13 instead of 26. Our first years are finally finishing… and sometimes shows don’t always get all the episodes they want ordered. I could understand if they intend to do spinoffs but sometimes that’s just what we get :/

Whatever happens I only hope that it’s good.
Apr 29, 9:34 AM
Feb 2016
Reply to AugustoMamilo
@Marsen-P They even skipped the SunFes performance ffs you are right, but I don't mind it being episodic stories.
@AugustoMamilo

What i dislike with episodic shows is, it hardly creates a buildup because we dont have the time to care about the character.

There's only 8 episodes and so many things to do with the main cast (kumikoXtsukamoto for example), all these newly introduced characters will probably not appear again. Even tho Sari (Sally?) looks super interesting.

I dont know if kyoani just adapts the source material, but I hope the author/studio will outperform themselves to give a satisfactory ending.
Apr 29, 10:08 AM
Apr 2022
You know, there's Blue Orchestra for those who want their steady paced, orchestra drama with plenty of characters.
Apr 29, 2:32 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to Marsen-P
@AugustoMamilo

What i dislike with episodic shows is, it hardly creates a buildup because we dont have the time to care about the character.

There's only 8 episodes and so many things to do with the main cast (kumikoXtsukamoto for example), all these newly introduced characters will probably not appear again. Even tho Sari (Sally?) looks super interesting.

I dont know if kyoani just adapts the source material, but I hope the author/studio will outperform themselves to give a satisfactory ending.
@Marsen-P Yeah that's true, the drama ends soon because it's not something that complex to solve, they just need to talk it out a bit and that is that, they won't almost appear after that, so yeah they end up not having much screen time and we end up not caring much about them. Maybe they will cut some events to achieve a satisfactory ending? I don't know, but as you say, I hope they don't screw it up.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 12

55 by Pinoffin »»
Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 4

85 by Shikkakku »»
Yesterday, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 2

106 by Shikkakku »»
Yesterday, 2:21 AM

» I love Kumiko, but...

mufarari - May 12

23 by TanedaKaori »»
May 15, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - May 5

89 by ricky78 »»
May 14, 5:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.