Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 12, 6:06 PM
Dec 2020
Anyone else noticed that the animation is off putting especially in episode 2?

It looks too CG for me. Especially when

Edit: Episode 3 is back to its normal animation state, @Oongbuh was right about Junichi Takaoka being responsible for the CG-esque animation in episode 2.
Juste1nApr 22, 2:51 AM
Apr 12, 8:10 PM

Apr 2021
Junichi Takaoka was responsible for storyboarding, directing, and solo animating this entire episode by himself. He did the same thing for episode 2 in season 2. It's just his style.
Apr 13, 12:33 AM

May 2021
It is CGI to my understanding. Cell shading is well done so it looks natural but movement is stiff as a board. Also there are no emotions on anyone's faces and mouths move like they came out South Park's Canada. It's so jarring. Whether it's done by one person or a 1000, it's still poor animation and poor acting.
Apr 13, 12:52 AM
Jul 2020
The animation's too weird now. Especially the bg characters that look too robotic. The visitor arc is fine, but they relied too much on cgi for this season
Apr 13, 2:08 AM

Sep 2018
It's pretty jarring to watch, a shame.
Apr 13, 3:46 AM
Aug 2021
Reply to MeanEYE
It is CGI to my understanding. Cell shading is well done so it looks natural but movement is stiff as a board. Also there are no emotions on anyone's faces and mouths move like they came out South Park's Canada. It's so jarring. Whether it's done by one person or a 1000, it's still poor animation and poor acting.
@MeanEYE It's not CGI, confirmed by the anime director. Is it too difficult to read the comment above yours?
Apr 13, 4:24 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to Oongbuh
Junichi Takaoka was responsible for storyboarding, directing, and solo animating this entire episode by himself. He did the same thing for episode 2 in season 2. It's just his style.
@Oongbuh Yeah, but in second episode season 2 it's looks great, in 2 episode season3 it's looks bad, like not very good 3d. The scene of the quarrel between Kasumi and Shippo, in which, by the way, the crowd is in casual clothes, the scene of Mayumi and Jumoji, and the whole scene with Koichi, looks bad, as if it were bad 3D. I repeat, in the second season, with the same director, this was not a problem.
Apr 13, 6:01 AM

May 2021
Reply to Alexcav999
@MeanEYE It's not CGI, confirmed by the anime director. Is it too difficult to read the comment above yours?
@Alexcav999 being or not being CGI doesn't make or break a show for me. The fact this is not CGI but looks like CGI doesn't change the fact animation is stiff and lacks finesse.
Apr 13, 11:32 AM

Apr 2021
Funny how people keep pushing the whole idea of "looking like 3D" like it's a bad thing. When in reality it just goes to show that Takaoka has perfect control over volume, depth and shadows. "Lacks finesse" is funny.
Apr 13, 3:22 PM
Dec 2020
The entire episode felt off for some reason. All the characters looked like they had neither emotion nor presence in the scenes or rooms they occupied. Really weird....
CGI, 3d or 2d... whatever it was, I hope this quality or "style" will not continue for the remainder of the season.
Apr 13, 9:54 PM

Sep 2018
I hope this Junichi Takaoka clown never animates another episode again lol
Apr 13, 11:15 PM
Aug 2020
JesusChirst said:
The entire episode felt off for some reason. All the characters looked like they had neither emotion nor presence in the scenes or rooms they occupied. Really weird....
CGI, 3d or 2d... whatever it was, I hope this quality or "style" will not continue for the remainder of the season.

I completely agree!
Apr 14, 6:17 AM
Aug 2014
As always, you losers only cares about animation, IT'S A DIFFERENT ART STYLE THAT THE DIRECTOR USED, and cgi in then background? almost every anime uses that now clowns.
Apr 14, 2:55 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to TheSekiryuutei
As always, you losers only cares about animation, IT'S A DIFFERENT ART STYLE THAT THE DIRECTOR USED, and cgi in then background? almost every anime uses that now clowns.
@TheSekiryuutei Says the "winner" that gave the first season a score of 6? Well, if memory serves you well you remember that the background characters were always cgi/3d renders from the very first season.(which is fine) The main complaint is the main characters looking off. And if that's an art style you like, fine. I think it looks and feels poor.
Apr 15, 2:59 AM

May 2009
Holy shit you just seen detailed animation like turning head slowly or mouthflaps that included jaw moving properly and you still complain.
Would you call this a CGI too? https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/245647
bastek66Apr 15, 3:16 AM
Apr 17, 6:30 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to Oongbuh
Funny how people keep pushing the whole idea of "looking like 3D" like it's a bad thing. When in reality it just goes to show that Takaoka has perfect control over volume, depth and shadows. "Lacks finesse" is funny.
@Oongbuh It still looks like shit, I honestly give less of a shit by what method something was created. If it looks like shit, tastes like shit, smells like shit, but came out of the kings ass; it is still shit.
Anime gave me so many mental issues its not even funny
Apr 17, 6:45 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to bastek66
Holy shit you just seen detailed animation like turning head slowly or mouthflaps that included jaw moving properly and you still complain.
@bastek66 Yes it looks bad. Be it 2D, 3D, AI generated, hand drawn, digitally drawn, up scaled, rotoscoped, traced, genuinely doesn't matter, what matter is the end result. What you linked looks bad, as it tries to merge two styles: trying to be realistic, with excessive detail on physics and natural body-motions; while still preserving a cartoony frame rate; making it look too smooth in some frames, while being too choppy in others. That makes it look so unnatural and weird, which the eye picks up immediately.

It is irrelevant to the discussion, the ep looks awful be it CGI or not.
Anime gave me so many mental issues its not even funny
Apr 18, 4:30 PM
Jun 2019
Reply to bastek66
@bastek66 Detailed animation? Saegusa sat down in 4 frames a second when she sat at the table with Jumonji. Even the smallest up-close motions feel jittery. It may have "detail" in the sense that there are more moving parts, but they sacrificed the quality. I am curious what resolution and what Hz your monitor is.
Apr 25, 10:27 AM

Jan 2020
Oongbuh said:

The animation looked very stiff regardless of cgi
Apr 26, 1:29 PM

Sep 2018
Is this Junichi Takaoka idiot scheduled to do more episodes of this show? Where can we find out that sort of information? I sincerely hope not.
Apr 26, 9:16 PM

Nov 2014
That's what happens when an anime originally animated by a very superior studio (Madhouse) gets animated by run-of-the-mill studio like A1-Pictures 8bit. It's not just the animation, but the sound and voice acting sounds off too. It doesn't sound natural, it sounds very low quality. Not the voice actors' fault, but maybe the way it was recorded or edited. I hear this downgrade especially from newer animes. I said this before, but sometimes the crowd looks like it was generated in Koikatsu or whatever that program is.
mizukasaApr 26, 10:39 PM
Apr 26, 10:33 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to mizukasa
That's what happens when an anime originally animated by a very superior studio (Madhouse) gets animated by run-of-the-mill studio like A1-Pictures 8bit. It's not just the animation, but the sound and voice acting sounds off too. It doesn't sound natural, it sounds very low quality. Not the voice actors' fault, but maybe the way it was recorded or edited. I hear this downgrade especially from newer animes. I said this before, but sometimes the crowd looks like it was generated in Koikatsu or whatever that program is.
@mizukasa A-1 Pictures has literally zero involvement here.

On the other hand, by God, this has to be the most braindead-filles thread I've seen in a while.
Apr 26, 10:38 PM

Nov 2014
Reply to Oongbuh
@mizukasa A-1 Pictures has literally zero involvement here.

On the other hand, by God, this has to be the most braindead-filles thread I've seen in a while.
@Oongbuh Oh crap, I thought it was A1 since the animation looked similar to Solo Leveling. My bad.

More topics from this board

» #fyi

mufarari - May 17

2 by Comander-07 »»
May 19, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 17

33 by Comander-07 »»
May 19, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 10

28 by Comander-07 »»
May 19, 2:53 PM

» 6 Volumes in 13 episodes

Ronninn - Apr 11

4 by Alexioos95 »»
May 17, 11:15 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3

38 by Comander-07 »»
May 17, 3:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.