Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 8, 8:22 PM

Nov 2010
I have to say, I'm confused.

I watched the original anime and while the new version looks decent, it wasn't like the adaptation was the problem, but that it ended and never got continued even though the story clearly wasn't finished.

So now I'm confused why they restart the story instead of continuing it, not like the old anime is unwatchable.

I'm especially worried that the new anime treats the same story beats and ends up at a similar point, so that in the end we have two adaptation of the same material, while the rest of the story is still without adaptation.

Don't get me wrong, it is not that I think the new anime is bad, it just makes no sense for me to readapt material we already have a decent adaptation for instead of adapting material we don't have anything but the source novel for.
Apr 8, 8:24 PM

Apr 2021
Simple, for commercial reasons. Spice and Wolf is not that big enough of a series that it if just continued where it left off, there would be a massive fanbase on top of it. Much easier to go for a completely new adaptation to suck in both newcomers and fans.
Apr 8, 8:35 PM
Aug 2023
live Studio Passione reaction to that question
Apr 8, 8:45 PM

Sep 2018
Likely since the 1st 2 seasons are so old now that a reboot was considered wiser than a s3.
Apr 8, 9:22 PM
Jul 2022
zwolf12 said:

I watched the original anime and while the new version looks decent, it wasn't like the adaptation was the problem, but that it ended and never got continued even though the story clearly wasn't finished.

So now I'm confused why they restart the story instead of continuing it, not like the old anime is unwatchable.

I'm especially worried that the new anime treats the same story beats and ends up at a similar point, so that in the end we have two adaptation of the same material, while the rest of the story is still without adaptation.

Don't get me wrong, it is not that I think the new anime is bad, it just makes no sense for me to readapt material we already have a decent adaptation for instead of adapting material we don't have anything but the source novel for.

I haven't watched the original or read the source material so don't quote me on this but I saw in other threads that the original left important plot points out of S2 that were important to the story going forward and therefore they couldn't properly continue the story.

However, I imagine if this is true, they could have worked around it. So what everyone else is saying is probably true as well.
Apr 8, 9:34 PM

Apr 2013
Because a lot of people don't like watching old anime (if there was a 3rd season, people would be forced to watch the old anime) and a lot of people wouldn't watch it.
The best option was to remake the anime (I just wanted a studio like CloverWorks to do it)
Apr 8, 9:56 PM
May 2017
which i know,It's because the old version is not based from LN and Manga.
Apr 8, 10:08 PM

Jul 2013
Hopefully to adapt the whole source material.
Apr 8, 10:11 PM
Jan 2023
They probably want to introduce the story to a new generation. 15 years is a long time to make a sequel.
Apr 8, 10:19 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
It has been almost 15 years since the last episode of Season 2 aired so I think remaking this is a better move~
The newcomers will be more willing to try the series and the old fans could watch the remake to indulge the story once more :)

Not to mention from what I've heard from other MAL users that the remake is a more faithful adaptation to the LN than the old version of anime.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 8, 11:44 PM
Dec 2020
Is this remake like fruits basket?
Apr 8, 11:50 PM
Feb 2021
I don't know how to create the link but on Reddit there is a post from a game developer who met with Hazekura the ln writer to propose a game based on the franchise. He liked the idea and did a Kickstarter to raise funds which it achieved in a single day. Apparently this influenced the decision to do a remake as it showed there was a big fan base out there.
Apr 9, 12:25 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to _Animu_weeb_
@_Animu_weeb_ yes and supposedly it will adapt the whole story though I haven't seen anything proving or disproving if it's true.
Apr 9, 12:27 AM
Dec 2017
zwolf12 said:

I believe they did this with Fruits Basket as well, reanimated from the beginning and finished anything not adapted in later seasons. Maybe what they are doing here?
Apr 9, 12:39 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to _Animu_weeb_
@_Animu_weeb_ seems to be so far. The 2nd ep was pretty much 1:1 adapted from ln, unlike the previous anime.
Apr 9, 3:32 AM
Mar 2021
more money. plus it wasn't a faithful adaption.
Apr 9, 4:09 AM

Jan 2021
I think its more like Fruits Basket remake. The original FB was same as the manga in the first part but deviated later. The remake of FB was again the same in the start but it started to become different later on as new seasons arrived.
This will be same. I think the first 12 or 13 episodes will be the same as the first season of the old anime. It will start to change later on since thats where most of the problems are. It would be more weird if they made a S2 remake in order to correct the original so a whole remake makes more sense.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Apr 9, 4:23 AM
May 2021
Rinrinka said:
It has been almost 15 years since the last episode of Season 2 aired so I think remaking this is a better move~
The newcomers will be more willing to try the series and the old fans could watch the remake to indulge the story once more :)

Not to mention from what I've heard from other MAL users that the remake is a more faithful adaptation to the LN than the old version of anime.

Yeah, here I am a live example. I had added the old ones in my plan to watch list for the past 2 years but never watched it...but when got to know that the new one is a remake, I started it immediately.
Apr 9, 4:58 AM
Nov 2020
zwolf12 said:

very simple they left out Important stuff from the original novel i am a novel reader and can say even if the original was good they left out few events and even an entire important vol so most likely the reason for this remake was to give this novel justice hopefully it deserves the treatment
Apr 9, 5:13 AM

Sep 2016
There already was a topic like this and some people said they would never watch this if it was a sequel because they either wouldn't invest time into catching up or simply think the original is too old for their trendy taste.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 9, 8:11 AM
Jan 2017
Didn't they skip an entire volume in the old show? Or have I been misinformed? This is going to be a complete adaptation. Fruits Basket was such a successfull remake so studios wanna jump on the bandwagon of remaking old anime that got shafted because it caught up to the source material.
Apr 9, 10:01 AM

Nov 2015
well
1. the animation quality has risen
2. the amount of time that has pasted since season 2 and they need new fans now
3. the OG ended at book 5 (and skipped 3 or 4 been a while since i read the whole series)

now, if yall actually read the LNs they barely skipped anything in the OG that was of importance (i will be honest the book they skipped was the worse one but the reason for it is important sadly since it gives details of what happened to holos home)

now in regards for the first 2 episodes so far they are pretty much the same exact story coverage so far, heck even the pacing is the same, the only noticable difference is the chloe/that village dude stuff in the first episode which was like 5 minutes, also during their stay at the church when holo was undressed was it just more... lewd is probably the best word i can use for it with how Holo was sitting and animated compared to the OG

if we are lucky the series is revived and continues for a couple years (doubt it sadly as a LN reader i know the series wont get to well received mid way for being repetitive)
Apr 9, 10:54 AM
Mar 2024
zwolf12 said:

How do they continue when they skipped important part of story?
Apr 9, 11:50 AM

Jan 2021
zwolf12 said:

This sounds like asking why remake FMA and Rurouni Kenshin when the original isn't unwatchable. It's simply that it's more profitable to just make a faithful anime when the original deviated from the source.
Apr 9, 12:01 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to triktross
live Studio Passione reaction to that question
@triktross Replace "Passione" with "Kadokawa" and it's 110% accurate
Apr 9, 1:38 PM
Jan 2021
I imagine part of it was original anime cut out basically a whole volume’s worth of story so by restarting they have the chance to add it back. I don’t know why I assume it was to add some more drama to end of season 2 but don’t quote me on that. Also while it’s a reasonably well known series it’s not anything huge and has a limited appeal so like some others have said it would be wiser to try and attract some new fans rather than rely on old ones.
Apr 9, 3:54 PM
Feb 2020
zwolf12 said:

Book 2 wasn’t adapted really well, book 1 was kinda, but the main highlight that actually changed the story quite a bit was book 4. As if you watch the og anime it skips 4 which 4 switch’s focus to multiple pagan gods being around and explains stuff like the wolf in book 2 or Diana being a bird. All and all due to this it also makes book 5 (which was adapted) be changed a decent amount in adaptation. Thus the start may not have enough reason but the end DEFINITELY does as book 4 is critical for many of the other books as it’s the true starting ground and true start of the story that is spice and wolf
Apr 9, 9:35 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Rinrinka

@Rinrinka

They made a new season of Full Metal Panic out of the blue after a long time and it wasn't a big deal. Whether that new season was good or not is another question entirely.

I think licensing is the bigger issue.

Imagine had the rights and did season 1.

Then according to the information on MAL, Marvy Jack and Brain's Base had the license. I don't know if they worked on season 2 together or the rights moved from one to the other at some point. I don't really care to look it up.

The IP was sold off to (or maybe borrowed by) Passione. Licensing is also probably why they aren't simply calling it "Spice and Wolf" again. They have the right to the IP, but not what came before. Maybe they couldn't get the rights (stuck in limbo somewhere), maybe they were asking too much for those rights, maybe they weren't interested because they wanted to do it their way, or maybe all of the above.

To me calling it "Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf" instead of just "Spice and Wolf" smells of being 'legally distinct.'

It's similar to what they did with the abominations they call "New Star Trek." The rights were sold off but they don't have the rights to the 60 years of Star Trek before, so all the uniforms, settings, aliens, and ships are different enough to be legally distinct from everything else.
Apr 9, 9:56 PM

Jan 2017
Euthymia_Gerv said:
They made a new season of Full Metal Panic out of the blue after a long time and it wasn't a big deal. Whether that new season was good or not is another question entirely.

Sure, there is plenty of other examples.

However, it being made, and maybe even working, is still not good, from a marketing point of view. Banking on your possibly abandoned 15+ years old fanbase is not as safe as satisfying the old time fans, with on top of that attracting new ones with a Remake.

Euthymia_Gerv said:
Then according to the information on MAL, Marvy Jack and Brain's Base had the license.

The rights holders of the franchise are not the studios, but the producers, and to be more specific, the publisher of the original work (here Kadokawa).

Changing the name of the Anime project is always done between seasons, be it by adding a subtitle or the number of the season, in part to be able to change the other producers, which often includes a TV channel, for the broadcast.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 9, 11:25 PM
Nov 2016
Original anime is still one of my favorite anime of all time. Could they go for gaming style remasterd version with updated visuals and then go for S3 or is that more expensive?
Apr 9, 11:39 PM

May 2014
Same question will be ask again when another anime remake with same reaction from original anime adaptation.
These are examples of their reaction:
1. Pokemon Mew Two Movie Remake. "Why Pokemon remake the movie with same story? It doesn't have the problem of the story and i don't like full of CGI"
2. Fate Remake. "Why Fate remake with same story? Ufotable only good with battle, not story, and i don't like it."
3. Tokyo Mew Mew Remake. "Why Tokyo Mew Mew remake with same story? I prefer old design because look more mature."

Of course anime producers want to gain newcomer viewer as newcomer prefer high resolution video than the original one. They also want oldcomer viewer look this version as nostalgic thing that animation technology has improve time to time and the story will adapted as near as LN version than original anime one.

For Spice and Wolf, the author wants to commercial Spice and Wolf VR game.
Apr 10, 4:32 AM
Sep 2022
This remake is a massive waste of time for someone who watched original. At least it seems this way for now. The only real positive here is new soundtrack, it should be good.
Apr 10, 8:23 AM
Jan 2022
zwolf12 said:

They skipped something important in the original anime. It was important to the story later on.
Apr 11, 9:19 AM
Dec 2013
The original anime took liberties and altered things. There is no Chloe in the light novel. The original anime decided to change a male character into a female character for some reason. The remake fixes things. Honestly, the 2008 version is on its way to becoming obsolete.
wildhoodApr 11, 11:22 AM
Apr 11, 9:48 AM
Jan 2022
The old anime omits the contents of the 4 volumes of the original novel.
However, the reason is that the contents of volume 4 contain important elements in the latter half of the story and need to be visualized well.
Apr 11, 10:18 AM

Jul 2017
By starting from the beginning, more fans I assume can be gathered with a whole new audience as well as older fans being interested to watch this again. I think a part of what killed hype for Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory when it returned after 13 years is that people who were unfamiliar with it in the past most probably would skip over it, and not everyone who watched the show originally would follow it after such a long gap. Spice and Wolf is a more prominent series but by doing this, you can get a much wider fanbase and more people will be on the same page, whether in Japan or elsewhere. Plus the original anime skipped a volume, and some differences are there with characters (some being excluded and replaced in the anime version) so this season will be similar in the short term but I think the decision will pay off in the long-term if the adaptation quality can be good for the other seasons as well.
Apr 11, 2:48 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to _Animu_weeb_
@_Animu_weeb_ I would think of FMA (FMA:B) instead as the original overtook the manga and made their own ending, similarly the original Spice and Wolf created it's own story before the source was finished and the remakes of both follow the source material closer.

Even though this segment is slated for two 'cours', making it equivalent to the original, it's possible (and maybe likely) that we'll get a second 'season' that goes beyond the first anime
Apr 11, 3:41 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
All these replies answer very completely to the OP question.

YES, the original two seasons, as standalone are something, and even when compared they are certainly decent adaptations in many key areas, but they do lack some fundamentals that you only can understand, the further you read the source material, which I have not gotten there myself (since I have delayed finishing the OG books, for many years now, not because they suck, but rather I wanted to leave them to a time it felt right and I wanted to finish something amazing).

Undoubtedly the biggest reason for whoever was in charge of greenlighting this and making the creative decisions was simplely, for a wider audience it is more easily marketable a remake than an S3, that is what influenced it the most, IMO, not the fact they were missing key stuff (if it was that, I believe they would rather just find a lazy way of adding it in).

What helps the fans take this well is that it seems that S1 will cover the OG S1 and S2, to a certain degree, with 25eps, but also the quality of the adaptation so far doesn't leave much desiring, we are eating GOOD.
So do fed me more Holo~~
PlaycoolApr 11, 3:45 PM
Apr 13, 12:06 AM
Feb 2024
the old anime skipped whole chapters and also literally changed so many things that i really wanted and love to get a remake instead of S3 right away...

but if they don't continue it then i'm not happy and wished they finished it, but i think they will finish it this time
Apr 14, 1:10 AM
Aug 2021
rohan121 said:
Likely since the 1st 2 seasons are so old now that a reboot was considered wiser than a s3.

Aha...Wiser, I See What U Did There
Apr 14, 1:21 AM

Jan 2013
Clearly makes more sense to reboot it, hopefully they're planning on seeing it through.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 14, 5:44 PM

Jan 2008
It makes my GSC Horo fig go up in price.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

39 by MegamiRem »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 3

51 by MegamiRem »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

68 by MegamiRem »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

75 by LuisSV23 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

59 by MegamiRem »»
9 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.