Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 8, 2:32 PM
Dec 2014
Something I noticed in the remake, the landscape art has a very Impressionist watercolor style to it. What makes this funnier is the the haystack shape in EP 1 in Pasloe. It's actually historically accurate, and what's notable, the creator of Impressionism, Claude Monet's earliest work was in fact, that particular haystack. These stacks were in fact either wheat or barley
Monet Haystacks
Pasloe Haystacks
Apr 8, 3:34 PM
Dec 2018
GenesicKaiser said:
Something I noticed in the remake, the landscape art has a very Impressionist watercolor style to it. What makes this funnier is the the haystack shape in EP 1 in Pasloe. It's actually historically accurate, and what's notable, the creator of Impressionism, Claude Monet's earliest work was in fact, that particular haystack. These stacks were in fact either wheat or barley
Monet Haystacks
Pasloe Haystacks

I don't know if you are new to Spice & Wolf (Welcome if you are new to it) but the story is pretty well documented about feodale societies and economics so most of the things you will see or hear will be historically accurate if they come from the LN.
Apr 8, 3:35 PM
May 2016
Awesome catch, would have never noticed myself
Apr 8, 3:48 PM
Dec 2014
Reply to DragyG
GenesicKaiser said:
Monet Haystacks
Pasloe Haystacks

I don't know if you are new to Spice & Wolf (Welcome if you are new to it) but the story is pretty well documented about feodale societies and economics so most of the things you will see or hear will be historically accurate if they come from the LN.
@DragyG True, but in the prior anime, the haystacks were these small little bundles rather than the huge stacks seen. So in this case, they got that part quite accurate this time. It's moreso, they used this particular shape as opposed to other kinds of haystacks used, that so happens to be what Monet is famous for.
GenesicKaiserApr 8, 3:53 PM
Apr 8, 4:10 PM

Nov 2019
GenesicKaiser said:
@DragyG True, but in the prior anime, the haystacks were these small little bundles rather than the huge stacks seen. So in this case, they got that part quite accurate this time. It's moreso, they used this particular shape as opposed to other kinds of haystacks used, that so happens to be what Monet is famous for.

I don't see any problem with the haystacks in the original installment not in the shape of Monet's haystack. It still looks realistic to me. They can even look box-shaped if the farmers compress with boxes.

Here's another painting of Monet at Giverny, France.

SgtBateManApr 8, 4:15 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 16, 12:14 AM

Dec 2023
I'm also pretty sure what seems to be Chloe in EP1 is a reference since she was actually an anime original character and this remake is sticking closer to the source story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

57 by StallionXD »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

54 by matias067 »»
Yesterday, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

70 by jeffersondkid »»
Yesterday, 12:56 AM

» Binge

Astrid_Bear - May 27

19 by APolygons2 »»
May 28, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

119 by MattJpX »»
May 28, 10:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.