Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 5, 2:50 PM

Apr 2023
So I am lost trying to get into Spice and Wolf. I heard that the 2008 adaptation wasn't that good but then this one I heard people were saying it wasn't gonna be that good.

Should I just watch this remake?
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Apr 5, 3:20 PM
Dec 2014
It's not that the 2008 version wasn't good, it was moreso incomplete since when it aired, the story had yet to finish novel wise, only being complete in 2011. The other issue is that they cut out a volume in the 2nd season of the 2008 version. That novel had some implications to the story. The content the 2008 version covered was only 1/4 of what the main story by the time it finished in 2011.

Also they changed a number of things like how Lawrence and Holo interacted with in a way that was more affectionate than standoffish, the artstyle was made to match the style of the era also, being more gritty, harsh and grounded in look were as the novel art is softer and more jovial, and to a degree, what some may describe as moe-like. Holo was more described as more teen like than the OG anime which made her look older. A minor thing also, they switch the sex of a character that appears in the early parts from male to female as well as giving the female version more screentime in the anime.

The remake gets flack because of the use of CG, the art being more fluffy and artsy than the gritty look and of course Holo's look, voice and demeanor coming off as cute. The other reason is that some are annoyed at it being a remake than a S3. Which I can understand, but from marketing standpoint, fans who know the story want an end, not to get a 1-off S3 that may not do well and thus, once again, it ends on another cliffhanger, thus killing any hope of finishing it for many more years.

But the thing is, the remake from how it looks, with the male character I mentioned above being used again, suggests they intend to follow the novels far more closely. The other thing is, the beginning has an original scene that involves a character that suggests they are planning to finish it.
GenesicKaiserApr 5, 3:31 PM
Apr 5, 3:24 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
To be honest I've never heard people being dissatisfied by the 2008 version, me and all people I know enjoyed it so much.

Well if you haven't seen the 2008 version then you would enjoy the new version more since everything about the anime is new to you :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 5, 3:29 PM
Jun 2020
Fukoku said:
So I am lost trying to get into Spice and Wolf. I heard that the 2008 adaptation wasn't that good but then this one I heard people were saying it wasn't gonna be that good.

I watched the 2008 Spice and Wolf probably like 5 years ago, and I loved it. I bought the LNs and realized that it doesn’t really follow them that closely. It’s still really good in my opinion, but the remake seems to be following the LNs more closely than the original anime did. The art style, while it is softer than the original anime, to me looks a lot more similar to the way the characters look in the LNs. I definitely recommend watching the remake currently airing, but as someone who’s already seen the original anime, for nostalgia purposes it will always remain a part of my rewatch rotation
Apr 5, 3:40 PM

Dec 2022
tl;dr - Watch remake.

Both are well made (although for the new one I only have one ep to judge from but it looks good so far). But 2008 version diverged more from source material, and skipped a whole book. New one has a more modern character design (also closer to LN illustrations) - some people prefer it, some don't.

One cool thing is that a lot of staff is the same, including VA-s. Even though Holo's VA is the same in 2008, she uses a bit different tone in the new one though. I think it sounds good both ways but some people have strong opinions favoring one.

Anyway, personally I see no reason to avoid the new version, and if you're gonna watch it anyway, it makes sense to watch it first as it will feel more modern. In the end, if you liked it enough to be willing to spend more time on it, you can watch the old one after. Although keep in mind that the second half of second season of old anime adapts LN 5 (because it skipped LN 4), which won't be in the first season of the new one.
Apr 5, 4:29 PM

Nov 2019
Why choosing when you could watch both simultaneously and form your own opinion?
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 5, 4:31 PM

Apr 2023
Xokanashimi said:
Fukoku said:

I watched the 2008 Spice and Wolf probably like 5 years ago, and I loved it. I bought the LNs and realized that it doesn’t really follow them that closely. It’s still really good in my opinion, but the remake seems to be following the LNs more closely than the original anime did. The art style, while it is softer than the original anime, to me looks a lot more similar to the way the characters look in the LNs. I definitely recommend watching the remake currently airing, but as someone who’s already seen the original anime, for nostalgia purposes it will always remain a part of my rewatch rotation

I’ll watch the remake then since I’m not a big fan of anime that go anime original like FMA 2003, Promised Neverland Season 2, OG Shaman King, etc.
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Apr 5, 10:57 PM
Jan 2017
SgtBateMan said:
Why choosing when you could watch both simultaneously and form your own opinion?

Not everyone has time.
Apr 5, 11:10 PM
Dec 2020
Zimzky said:
SgtBateMan said:

Not everyone has time.

everyone has time for 20 minutes a week for 6 months
Apr 5, 11:11 PM
Dec 2020
Fukoku said:

well, new anime is better, so watch the remake
if you watch whatever one first, it will make the other one pointless
Apr 5, 11:13 PM
Jan 2017
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
Zimzky said:

Not everyone has time.

Sure if it's the only thing they're watching. having to check out an episode of both versions that makes it 40 minutes. If they watch 5 different shows then it gets less and less time you see?
Apr 5, 11:14 PM
Dec 2020
Zimzky said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

Sure if it's the only thing they're watching. having to check out an episode of both versions that makes it 40 minutes. If they watch 5 different shows then it gets less and less time you see?

like i said, they dont need to watch both because old anime are objectively worse. The only reason to watch the old one is because of impatience
Apr 5, 11:16 PM
Jan 2017
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
Zimzky said:

like i said, they dont need to watch both because old anime are objectively worse. The only reason to watch the old one is because of impatience

Well you didn't say it in the same post, and I was answering a dude that recommended OP watch both.
Apr 5, 11:19 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to Zimzky
SgtBateMan said:

Not everyone has time.
@Zimzky why engaging in animu when people don't have time? It's not a job or anything similar=))
SgtBateManApr 5, 11:35 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 6, 8:44 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to Xokanashimi
Fukoku said:

@Xokanashimi My sentiments, exactly.
Apr 6, 8:51 AM

Dec 2014
my thoughts, watch both if you have the time too. I love the original, but hate the cliffhanger. hopefully they'll be able to adapt the whole thing with this ver. If you don't have the time then probably just watch the new one, as I'm sure it will be different yet tread on most of the same things as the original anime.
Apr 6, 9:16 AM
Oct 2023
Watch both. The old one deviated from the source quite a lot, but was good. The new one looks better and a bit closer to the source, and overall it's better in my eyes for now, but we'll see.
The source ln is peak though. None of the adaptations are as good.
Apr 6, 11:50 AM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
In regards to the direction, animation, and sound, the remake is by all accounts superior so far despite airing only a single episode. If it continues like this, I will be extremely impressed with this remake. Here's hoping!
Apr 6, 2:26 PM
Jul 2021
I dunno, i liked the directing and acting more in 2008,but this adaptation seems to follow source closer. I think I'd still prefer Bones just cause passione aren't the guys who can execute character and dialogue driven story imo.
Apr 7, 1:07 AM
Feb 2016
new anime viewers dont know about all the culture around spice and wolf

:L
Apr 7, 4:53 AM

Jan 2014
Just watch the remake I say. It's closer to the LNs, both in looks and content and it will probably get finished this time if things go well.
Apr 7, 5:01 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to AbyssWalker21
Just watch the remake I say. It's closer to the LNs, both in looks and content and it will probably get finished this time if things go well.
AbyssWalker21 said:
it will probably get finished this time if things go well.

*Le me, having watched the original run, waiting for them to adapt at least 17 volumes of the source material

Apr 7, 8:58 AM
Jul 2021
Honestlyyy??? I really loved the 2008 ver. At first I wasn't sure if it was something I'd find interesting but it turned out to be such a fun watch. I especially enjoyed the old animation style and European setting. The bond between the characters was so genuine too. Also, I learnt basic economics through this in a very informative and non boring way.
Apr 8, 2:28 AM

Sep 2014
From what I can tell this new version adapts the original novel a lot more closely, if that's something you're after.
The OG anime from 2008 took quite a few liberties with the story, but in a good way IMHO. Holo's demeanor is lot more mature and refined with an air of mystique and a razor sharp silver tongue. Their banter with Lawrence is pure gold with tons of wit and charm.
While the original version of Holo has a personality more of a brash teenager, she's a lot more direct and quirky with the occasional bout of solemn wisdom. I think both versions have their own charm.
Also, the OG anime was left unfinished since the novel was still being written at the time. I guess the creators didn't just want to tack on a S3 so many years later, and instead opted to adapt the novel a lot more closely this time.

Honestly, there are no wrong choices here. Read the novel if you want the original story right from the source. The 2008 anime is extremely well made with great dialogue and stories, regardless it's deviation from the novel here and there. This new adaptation looks like a solid venture to more closely adapt the original. If you have the time to spare, why not all three?
"You know, when people make you feel angry or sad, it's usually because it matters to you what they think. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. Face it, if you didn't care about what they thought, you wouldn't hate them..." ~Planetes
Apr 8, 4:07 AM

Jan 2013
i say whynot both?
Apr 8, 1:41 PM

May 2016
Watch both. 2024 and 2008 ver. Two episodes a day or just binge it all in a day or two about eight hours or option three don't watch 2008 ver. Option four don't watch either. Option five watching three episodes of either or both then decide.
Apr 8, 2:27 PM
Aug 2019
I feel like the old version had a better intro (just first 1 min), opening and a few sound tracks that really lifted the show.

I think I would swap the intro scene in the new version with OG version, but overall I think the new version will be better.
Apr 8, 6:24 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to GoodReiShun
I dunno, i liked the directing and acting more in 2008,but this adaptation seems to follow source closer. I think I'd still prefer Bones just cause passione aren't the guys who can execute character and dialogue driven story imo.
@GoodReiShun Dude, the director is the same guy that directed the older series.
Apr 8, 7:59 PM

Nov 2011
I just did a quick rating of my own, maybe this helps a bit for you to understand the differences between this remake and the "original" as I like to call it (I've personally read the entire light novel, which is what this anime is based on, at least 3 times over)

Music to the overall atmospheric build 9/10
The op and the bgm are really good and spot on just like the original, but ClariS on the happy ED wasn't quite it for me so a 9/10 mostly no complaint whatsoever.

Plot 8/10
There is a lot to look forward to after seeing the first few seconds of ep1 and the excitement is real knowing that they stick to the LN (there are hints to how much this remake can potentially cover up to), but they try so hard to fit so many lines into every second of each episode so far... honestly a bit annoying and rather unnatural, the original definitely has a much, much better flow overall

Art 4/10
This is the seriously unbearable part about this remake, the art quality even with the fansa is still super disappointing, the original was so much better and it was without much of the fansa too... This anime doesn't need much fansa to begin with, it's just not any part of the focus, unless they actually play any sx scenes lol

21/30 at most a 7/10... that sounds about right for me. The original or the "2008" version was a solid 10/10 for me even after at least 5x rewatch. I really love Spice and Wolf, but so far this remake isn't cutting it for me, or barely if it does, which is sad... T^T
Apr 10, 12:21 PM
Jul 2021
Reply to Silmendil
@GoodReiShun Dude, the director is the same guy that directed the older series.
@Silmendil Well, he doesn't try hard this time it seems. If you compare frame angles, poses, mimics and dialogue you will notice a lot of changes compare to the original. I just think these changes are for the worse and makes these characters much more trope-ish than original thus these changes are for worse.
Apr 10, 1:27 PM
Mar 2024
HOLY SHIT. You would complain if he copied 2008 version. You deserve shit or another demon slayer.
Apr 11, 9:22 PM

Sep 2012
For me, the one that is able to capture the great chemistry between halo and lawrence is the better one. So far I heard that they cut off some dialogue from lawrence in this new remake that gave him more personality in the original. So the original sounds better so far.
Apr 11, 10:38 PM
Jan 2016
Fukoku said:

the 2008 was good, problems were that they cut out a whole book, and it never got another season. The 2008 has been one of my fav animes for a while, the music is great and for the time the dub was amazing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

56 by lazypanda666 »»
Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

54 by matias067 »»
Yesterday, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

70 by jeffersondkid »»
Yesterday, 12:56 AM

» Binge

Astrid_Bear - May 27

19 by APolygons2 »»
May 28, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

119 by MattJpX »»
May 28, 10:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.