Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
Been awhile since I've seen the Touken Ranbu franchise.. It had a more serious tone than what I anticipated and introduced a fair amount of characters.

Animation quality seems similar to Touken Ranbu - Hanamaru although better. I think out of all the cast, Mikazuki is the most noticable for his noticable looks and talent. Pretty much got an episode seeing how they daily life is like for these guys.
Apr 2, 10:16 AM
Oct 2023
Stark700 said:
Been awhile since I've seen the Touken Ranbu franchise.. It had a more serious tone than what I anticipated and introduced a fair amount of characters.

Animation quality seems similar to Touken Ranbu - Hanamaru although better. I think out of all the cast, Mikazuki is the most noticable for his noticable looks and talent. Pretty much got an episode seeing how they daily life is like for these guys.

where did you watch It from? I tried searching it but its not available with subtitles.
Apr 2, 12:53 PM

Jan 2014
Reply to damnit_tomioka
Stark700 said:

where did you watch It from? I tried searching it but its not available with subtitles.
@damnit_tomioka I believe the user you're replying to watched it without subtitles. AFAIK it's not available with subtitles. Perhaps a fansub group will pick it up.
Apr 2, 12:59 PM
Jan 2024
cureem said:
@damnit_tomioka I believe the user you're replying to watched it without subtitles. AFAIK it's not available with subtitles. Perhaps a fansub group will pick it up.

Where u watched it without sub then?
Apr 2, 1:26 PM
Jan 2022
Do I have to watch touken ranbu hanamaru to understand this one???
Apr 2, 1:47 PM
Oct 2023
cureem said:

I hope they do cause I was interested in this anime
Apr 2, 5:07 PM
Nov 2017
Reply to WeebRaine
@WeebRaine No, they have separated stories. Hanamaru is more like a slice of life, where they add more info to the characters that appears in Kai, but it's not needed to know to watch this one.
Apr 2, 8:25 PM

Jan 2014
A subtitled version is now out on the high seas, though it's machine-translated. However, the subtitles make it easy enough to understand what's going on. (Don't ask for a link, it's against MAL TOS.)
Apr 2, 9:56 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to cureem
A subtitled version is now out on the high seas, though it's machine-translated. However, the subtitles make it easy enough to understand what's going on. (Don't ask for a link, it's against MAL TOS.)
@cureem Thanks for the information 🙂
Apr 3, 12:29 AM

Apr 2016
Where can I watch Touken Ranbu Kai? Crunchyroll doesn’t have it or they are late on this one.
Apr 3, 4:31 AM
Sep 2022
Way too much information for me to digest in first episode.
It looks like not my kind of anime but opening song was great!
Apr 3, 3:36 PM
Aug 2017
Reply to WeebRaine
@WeebRaine

No, you don’t. It’s the same characters but in a different storyline. Hanamaru is a different experience.
Apr 4, 7:48 AM

Jan 2011
I guess I have mixed feelings about this first episode.
Both hanamaru and katsugeki focused a lot on shinsengumi and sakamoto swords, which is understandable since they were the main characters. This is why I was really excited when I heard about a new touken ranbu animation coming out, this time it'd finally focus more on another group of swords: the Nobunaga swords and possibly others from the Sengoku era.

I still can't pinpoint the reason, but I'd say that I got a bit disappointed at this first episode, specially when I compare with hanamaru and katsugeki. It's not as funny and relaxing as hanamaru and the execution and development so far were not as good as katsugeki. The honmaru itself also seemed a bit off with so few touken danshi plus the creepy saniwa.

But I did like that it stayed faithful to the game mechanics. We only have 7 episodes left, I'm a huge fan of the Nobunaga swords, so I'm looking forward to how the story will develop
Apr 4, 12:25 PM

Nov 2013
best girl boy Midare is back yay

was a fun episode i guess, seeing all the charas again after a long time
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 5, 9:00 AM
Oct 2023
Cringe af, not my kinda series
Apr 5, 2:37 PM
Jan 2012
Reply to Mr_Nuts
Cringe af, not my kinda series
@Mr_Nuts okay, care to explain what makes you cringe?
Apr 5, 11:20 PM
Oct 2023
Well, already told you this ain't my kinda series.
Mr_NutsApr 5, 11:26 PM
Apr 5, 11:21 PM
Oct 2023
splitshocker said:

Firstly, they all are manifestations of powerful sword. They were considered as treasures because of their immense power. Anyone in the world can agree that historically powerful swords should be masculine. There ain't single drop of testosterone in them.

Secondly, the way all of them interact. No hierarchy, no respect for one's skills, everybody's acting all lovey-dovey.
Apr 15, 12:37 AM
Jul 2017
Reply to Mr_Nuts
splitshocker said:

Firstly, they all are manifestations of powerful sword. They were considered as treasures because of their immense power. Anyone in the world can agree that historically powerful swords should be masculine. There ain't single drop of testosterone in them.

Secondly, the way all of them interact. No hierarchy, no respect for one's skills, everybody's acting all lovey-dovey.
@Mr_Nuts First, it's a game. You can say the same thing to any other game. Second, that's because they are now possessed by one master.
Apr 15, 1:59 PM

Aug 2012
Swords forged by the same person or owned by the same master form a "family", they are like brothers to each other.
Their outfits are based on their history: Sayo wears tatters and always talks about revenge, because his former master used him to kill a bandit that murdered his mother; Souza was beloved sword of Lord Nobunaga but he never used him in battle, he was only a decoration, hence his outfit is like the one of a woman. Hachisuka's story is similar: he is the original sword made by Kotetsu, he was never used, only put on display. That's why his outfit is all sparkly and golden.
May 3, 6:07 AM
Jul 2019
Just as good as the original Katsugeki Touken Ranbu. Absolutely ecstatic to see these fabulous characters back. Loved every second of it.
May 4, 7:12 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to Daifuku_Mochi
@Mr_Nuts First, it's a game. You can say the same thing to any other game. Second, that's because they are now possessed by one master.
@Daifuku_Mochi

For you, I have checked out the game, and the character design and their voices are not to my liking. To be fair, the game is good, but it definitely gives off some weird vibes.

Getting an adaptation for your favorite game is kind of fire, but for me, it's just a regular seasonal anime, and I shared my opinion. And if you're comparing this to any other games (Gentian, Honkai Star Rail, etc.), I say Gentian is more straight than this.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14

2 by winddevil1 »»
May 16, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 23

4 by winddevil1 »»
May 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7

1 by phantomfandom »»
May 7, 9:41 AM

» Character Information Please

aloistrancy351 - Apr 29

3 by eirian_j »»
Apr 30, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 30

0 by Stark700 »»
Apr 30, 7:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.