Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 12:55 PM
Jul 2015
I'll admit I was hesitant about a remake of one of my favourite series of all time, but man did this ever live up to the original. True Fucking Peak has returned to anime.
Apr 1, 12:55 PM

Apr 2012
I like that they want to keep continuity with LN and the older anime, but I'm still confused because of the weird uncanny valley effect. It seems that the animation is more or less good and cute, but at the same time there is something a little unnatural in their movements and reactions. Although at the same time the movements of the characters feel quite realistic.
Apr 1, 12:56 PM
Jan 2017
They really respected the work!
Apr 1, 12:58 PM

Feb 2015
I really hope this series goes beyond the original, as a fan of the LN there's much to look forward to.

I really hope the Dub Cast is brought back as it was one of the better English dubs at the time but at least the Japanese VAs returned
Apr 1, 1:01 PM

Dec 2022
well they have removed chole from the og anime i guess chole was an anime original character and because they are adapting the manga this makes sense

well i liked they showed us a white fox girl which i am excited to learn more about
Apr 1, 1:02 PM
Dec 2014
Reply to billybub
@deaknaew well Cloe was an anime only, so no reason to include her in a LN adaptation
@billybub They actually did. She cameo'd when Yarei was cutting the wheat.
Apr 1, 1:16 PM

Aug 2020
haven't watched the OG, hopefully this would be an good adaption and kudos for having 2-cour airing
Apr 1, 1:16 PM
Nov 2020
This is amazing and a lot closer to the LN which I like. I can’t wait for the rest of the season.
Apr 1, 1:17 PM
May 2023
we're so back🔥🔥
Apr 1, 1:18 PM
Jul 2023
I haven't seen the original (blasphemy, maybe, idk) so I am super looking forward to this given how beloved the original show and LN is. And 25 episodes is really nice too, love long running anime like this.

So far I'm really liking the vibes. Feels really chill and comfy. I'm sure the rest of the show will pull its weight in other departments but so far the feel is what sticks out to me.

Really looking forward to these next six months!
Apr 1, 1:18 PM

Jul 2021
Here we are, back once again with Spice and Wolf though i only watched the OG back in 2021-2022 and i really enjoyed the show along with the cast of characters and i have forgotten quite a bit about what happens and the plot of the show. Its very nice to see Lawrence again I really like him and his personality along with his design, also seeing Holo once again is nice and her introduction was just as good as the original along with her beautiful design.

The animation is also very solid and I cant wait to see more of what's to come and how they adapt it all once again. The start of the episode with Holo talking to her daughter I'm assuming is something I don't remember in the original anime though I could have forgotten or maybe I'm just miss remembering but it was a nice introduction.

Seeing the village people once again and the tale of how Holo brings them bountiful harvest was nice. I don't know why but I really liked it for some reason. Holo wanting to go north is something I'm very excited to see in this anime and I cant wait to watch the journey of them both.

I cant wait for the next episode, this anime is already off to an amazing start.

Apr 1, 1:23 PM

Jul 2015
This first scene wasn't in the original.
Does that mean that we'll see her make an actual appearance eventually, which would mean full adaptation?

Apr 1, 1:44 PM
Mar 2024
Boring but nice animation
Apr 1, 1:45 PM
Dec 2014
It suggests so yeah. Plus they already have merch, a Holo Vtuber and bluray right from the get go. They know it's gonna be a hit.
Apr 1, 1:51 PM

Jun 2019
What a wholesome start. It was everything I wished for. Can't wait to watch more. Holo is so cute. Lawrence seems like a nice guy. Passione is doing a great job so far. Great first episode.

And, Kevin Penkin, you're just a special guy. MY GOAT.
Apr 1, 1:51 PM
Jan 2018
It was a good first episode but I noticed many differences from the original, such as removing all of the chatacter"Chloe"'s scenes, I don't know if I prefer this over the original, but on it's own it's still a fine start.
Apr 1, 1:52 PM

Feb 2014
It has been a long time since I originally watched the previous Spice & Wolf anime, so, in a way, I'm glad that this new anime is a reboot, so I can once again enjoy what this series to offer. =)

Upon first episode's impressions, I think this has gotten off to a pretty good start. Passione might not be the most talented studio out there, but I think they did a solid job with the production values here, aside from some nitpicking here and there. Kevin Penkin's soundtrack is another easy thumbs up and I enjoyed the melancholic OP song from Hana Hope and the upbeat ED from ClariS.

The 25 episode run means that we'll be enjoying the company of Holo and Lawrence for a long time this year. If Passione can keep up this quality for at least the majority of the whole run, then I think this reboot will do well.
Apr 1, 1:52 PM

Feb 2019
Incredibly moved by this premiere. Passione got their A team working on this and it shows. After 6 months of Frieren, it’s great to get another long running grand adventure show. Never seen the original, but I know it’s beloved and I can already see why. The relationship between Holo and Lawrence already seems fun as hell.

Kevin Penkin on the OST, Claris ED too? Whew😮‍💨 2000s vibes are strong in this first episode, which is nice. Seems like they were able to bring the magic of that era to a modern audience thanks in large part to having the same director. Let’s see how it goes.
Marinate1016Apr 1, 2:30 PM
Apr 1, 1:53 PM
Dec 2013
Spice and Wolf (2024) is here! Started Spice and Wolf (2008) in November 2014, and finished it in October 2015, so it's been almost 9 years for me. Will be interesting if this remake ends up surpassing the 2008 version. Art in the 2024 version looks better than the 2008 version, I have to say.

So Chloe was a filler character in the 2008 version all along? No wonder she's not present in this version (though she did appear in this episode, as she was the one who tackled Yarei).
wildhoodApr 1, 2:31 PM
Apr 1, 1:59 PM
Sep 2023
Stark700 said:
Man, after all these years, Spice and Wolf is back in its glory. OP song has a melancholic tone but imo fits for this show.

Lawrence makes his appearance his personality is relatively the same as I remember from the previous season. Holo's introduction this season looked surreal. An obvious surprise for Lawrence but still a very important moment for the main story. I love the soundtrack they used for that moment. I love the tone of her voice too. Character designs looks more colorful and vibrant compared to the previous show but stills works well imo.

A really wonderful return for the franchise on TV imo.

Oh wait question: is this a sequel? I have never watched Spice and Wolf before and this looked good so I plan to start with this? Is it ok or is there a prequel? :)
Apr 1, 2:00 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to BannedTman
It was a good first episode but I noticed many differences from the original, such as removing all of the chatacter"Chloe"'s scenes, I don't know if I prefer this over the original, but on it's own it's still a fine start.
@BannedTman Chloe is original anime-only and this adaptation is definitely more focused on being loyal to the light novels than compared to the anime.
Apr 1, 2:09 PM
Oct 2019
sailorshirayuki said:
Stark700 said:
Man, after all these years, Spice and Wolf is back in its glory. OP song has a melancholic tone but imo fits for this show.

Lawrence makes his appearance his personality is relatively the same as I remember from the previous season. Holo's introduction this season looked surreal. An obvious surprise for Lawrence but still a very important moment for the main story. I love the soundtrack they used for that moment. I love the tone of her voice too. Character designs looks more colorful and vibrant compared to the previous show but stills works well imo.

A really wonderful return for the franchise on TV imo.

Oh wait question: is this a sequel? I have never watched Spice and Wolf before and this looked good so I plan to start with this? Is it ok or is there a prequel? :)

It's a remake, not a 3rd season
Apr 1, 2:22 PM
Feb 2024
I'm blessed again... Maybe this will be the best year since 15years of waiting ♥️ i mean i now will be blessed every week😍

Fr, i was so stunned to start this episode. And how it will turn out... But it turned out just great and the start made me cry. I think even veterans probably haven't seen this coming.

The animation is great, great character design so far. They have modernized the style but not to much, just perfect for me. And they keep the original story...

And i got a reminder why i love this series and especially Holo so much. Just great times to be alive💕
Apr 1, 2:26 PM
Jan 2021
Quite happy to see it back. I watched the original anime a few years ago and then read the manga afterwards. Recently I’ve started reading the light novels as well.

I noticed they deviated a little from the LN such as Lawrence meeting up with Yarei after meeting Holo and sleeping in the village but I think this was good because Yarei become relevant again soon so getting to know him a little better was a good move. The pacing was good if a little fast but I think that’s fine as if the anime’s pacing was too slow I’d probably be quite boring and it would take them a while to make much progress in the story. Obviously with the anime you’re not going to get the detail of LN but again I think it’s good to keep the pace relatively fast.

The visuals are great and I like the art style as it feels a little closer to the LN when compared to the art style of the original (although I like that one as well).

I don’t generally watch shows as they air because I like to binge stuff but I’ll make an exception for Spice and Wolf.
Apr 1, 2:34 PM
Jan 2023
I'm happy as the day I watched it for the first time
Apr 1, 2:35 PM

Jun 2023
Loved every minute of this episode.
Apr 1, 2:39 PM

Jul 2014
Calling all Holo-followers to gather up and spread the cult of holo, let's make this the most viewed anime of the season!
Apr 1, 2:42 PM
Jul 2022
Great start. I'm so excited for this journey. I've been wanting to watch this show for a long time and now I'll finally be able to watch it. Already love Holo and Lawrence seems great too. Can't wait for the next ep.
Apr 1, 2:49 PM

Mar 2009
Off to a good start, the first scene seems to indicate an intention to adapt the whole of the novels, which is nice.

Was that Sugita Tomokazu as Yarei?
Apr 1, 2:53 PM

Jan 2023
We’re so back, this was a fantastic return to the series. It’s been a while since I watched the original so in a way, this can be like a refreshing return to the show that I really like.

The slow moving melancholic opening, the cheery upbeat ED, and the production value/quality of Passione. They can do this (ง •̀_•́)ง

Note: Kevin Penkin being the composer, we basically won in the music aspect
BitChillyApr 1, 3:00 PM
Apr 1, 2:58 PM

Nov 2009
Its looking pretty good so far. As an fan of the OG i have very high expectations of this remake and so far im liking what I'm seeing the OG VA's definitely know there rolls so no worry about that one thing I'm definitely going to miss thou is the OG OP both the song and the animation itself is just one of my all time favorite OP of any anime it just hits perfectly that the remake has a good OP but not as hard hitting in the feels unfortunately. And if that's the only problem we get were eating good with the remake for sure ^_^
Hi !!!
Apr 1, 2:59 PM

May 2011
I like this first episode.Holo´s face in this anime looks like her LN art even tho I absolutely love of the 2009 Holo art style aswell.The OP of the 2009 was better than the new one,but the ending visuals and song are better in this one.

I liked everything in this first ep except for the meeting scene.Not fan of the cracking body after the howling.
Goddamn,the meeting scene in the 2009 show was so well done.Holo´s smug side eye when Lawrence was talking to her or that shot where when she picks up the meat,the camera focuses on her ass with her tail waving.That shot always stuck with me.

''I was dead serious''

Apr 1, 3:17 PM

Mar 2013
Okay, I do hope they can give a better adaptation with this reboot of theirs.

Anyway, the character design looks too childish than the ones we got from the previous two seasons that were more mature. I guess it's okay.

But passione is adapting it? I hope they won't mess this up. I will keep watch.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 1, 3:31 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Ashhk
Okay, it's actually not bad at all but to me it looks like they just adapted it again with the charm of the original, I don't see what is improved compared to the previous version, even though I'm still happy to see it again in a different modern way
Ashhk said:
I don't see what is improved compared to the previous version

The first scene? If you didn't watch orginal or read LN, you might not know.
Apr 1, 3:31 PM
Nov 2015
Soundtrack was really, really good.
Apr 1, 3:38 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Reply to Borked
Ashhk said:
I don't see what is improved compared to the previous version

The first scene? If you didn't watch orginal or read LN, you might not know.
@Borked I watched the original back then but I see what you mean with the first scene but it's just a hint for much later I believe except if they do a mix of present and future but I would be surprised
Apr 1, 3:47 PM

Apr 2010
Man this makes me really miss the old opening. It was so damn good.

Apr 1, 3:49 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Lots of folks are happy to have this series back, but here I am just experiencing it for the first time lol. No I have unfortunately not seen the original show, it’s one I’ve known about for a very long time but just never got around to it, but I decided to give this remake a try since I know my buddy is watching this so it would be something to discuss every week, and I gotta say I am glad I picked it up for my spring list because I really liked this first episode. It seems like Passione is giving this one the treatment it deserves because the art and animation are very nice so far, the OP and ED are both very good as well with some great visuals, and of course it’s nice hearing ClariS again.

And as for the episode itself, it is pretty intriguing so far with that Yarei guy talking about the village’s god not being real, and of course under any other circumstances I’d think he was right but not when we have the god Holo herself in her nude glory lol, and since she wants to leave the village after being there for so long she’s now journeying with our main lad Lawrence, it was a good start so I’m definitely looking forward to the journey ahead if this series is beloved for a reason. It’s also cool to hear they have the same cast as 16 years ago, I’m sure folks who love the original are very happy with that and I think it’s awesome myself. Perhaps one day I will hit the originals but for now I plan to enjoy this remake, hopefully Mondays won’t be so Monday with this show in the evenings lol.
Apr 1, 3:49 PM
Feb 2017
i didn't like the history at the start, but it's pretty impresive how it looks.
Apr 1, 4:02 PM
Nov 2022
Glad to see Holo again after many years :'

Apr 1, 4:02 PM
Oct 2016
The journey of Holo and Lawrence has begin anew! A fresh adaptation for this generation to see the splendor that this story has to offer. Lawrence just a regular ole traveling merchant going through these lands transporting and selling goods has stumbled onto something extraordinary. Holo the wise wolf has graced him with her company along his travels. Their chance meeting will lead to many adventures and economic struggles. Holo the wise wolf is a deity of this village whom helps with the harvest making sure its abundant. As the years have gone on people rely less on such beings and more so on the church. With this paradigm shift Holo feels like her place is no longer in this village, leading her to hop into the wheat on Lawrence cart. A very funny scene with Lawrence not believing Holo is a wolf deity and her showing the true form she has. Lawrence reaction showed how most people see Holo, with horror, which is sad and shows how lonely she must be. So having someone like Lawrence to travel with should brighten both their spirits. I loved the visuals of this premiere and of course the music was the best part and shined. Very excited to see how this new faithful adaptation does.
Apr 1, 4:05 PM
Dec 2018
Only positive thing I have to say about this is Holo's VA. Sixteen years of natural change has rounded her voice out to more fit an ancient deity.

Otherwise, a total disappointment and a mockery of what was.
Apr 1, 4:06 PM

Mar 2021
I went in blind, as I didn't watch the original and managed to avoid spoilers, only knowing that fans wanted a third season more than a remake. So I thought Kraft already knew Holo and was hiding her in the fur pelts XD
Apr 1, 4:27 PM
Aug 2015
I would say, Merchant Meets High Expectations, so far.
Apr 1, 4:32 PM

Jul 2022
I never watched the original version, so I decided to watch the remake. At first glance, for someone who knows nothing about the story, it seems like it will be something sad, especially with the opening scene of the tale, which I imagine is Holo narrating it.

The OP and the ED are pleasant to listen to, but the soundtrack is on another level, it enamored me and convinced me to watch this anime.

P.S.: Would you recommend watching the original version first, or should I wait until I finish the remake?
Apr 1, 4:35 PM
May 2020
I never would have thought there would be another spice and wolf, but here we are and it's great!
Apr 1, 4:41 PM
Apr 2022
A while ago I saw the first chapter of the other version and I got a little bored.
but after watching this first chapter ( was amazing) I plan to go back to the other version because waiting a week for another chapter is too much
Apr 1, 4:49 PM
Aug 2015
Reply to Narizor
I never watched the original version, so I decided to watch the remake. At first glance, for someone who knows nothing about the story, it seems like it will be something sad, especially with the opening scene of the tale, which I imagine is Holo narrating it.

The OP and the ED are pleasant to listen to, but the soundtrack is on another level, it enamored me and convinced me to watch this anime.

P.S.: Would you recommend watching the original version first, or should I wait until I finish the remake?
@Narizor it's not going to be "sad just to make you cry" kind of story.

You can watch the original one, and it's great. But it's not complete and also skipped some important parts. While I like the original anime, I loved light novel even more. And it seems this new adaptation is going to be much closer to the light novel.
Apr 1, 4:52 PM

Nov 2009
Extremely happy with how EP1 turned out. I like how they did the beginning, with how Holo is telling the story to Myuri.
Opening and ending are good too, cant top the originals tho.

Seeing Myuri really makes me wish and hope for a full adaption. Can i just go ahead and assume that this will be the case?
The next 6 months will be good ones!
Apr 1, 5:10 PM

Jun 2013

So far though, loving the first ep, preferred this art style over the OG since it is closer to LN which I also liked more than the anime back in the day, especially Holo. The background ost leaves a bit to be desires for me anyway, Frieren background ost reminded me more of the OG than this does, but maybe this will grow on me. And since this is two cour looks like at least from the op we will be getting 2 LN volumes per season, same with the OG!

All in all, I loved this but I am still a little nervous how the rest of the series will play out and will continue to approach with cautious optimism.

4.5/5

When Yarei was captured, was that Chloe making a cameo? If so that is adorable!
BeppyicxApr 1, 5:27 PM
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

29 by access_flash »»
53 minutes ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

92 by Magicmist »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

50 by Scootboi »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.