Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Apr 13, 5:35 AM

Nov 2015
the moon scene looked beautiful
Apr 13, 3:28 PM
Sep 2021
Fun to see it's back
Apr 13, 4:37 PM

May 2020
Very faithful to the Light Novel, well done!
Apr 13, 8:38 PM
Jan 2019
it's feel amazing for otk remake. love holo
Apr 15, 10:16 AM

Jan 2017
The first time I saw Holo (without any knowing of the previous version/s), I already fell in love with her beauty. It must be because I really like dogs (or wolves) or maybe because she reminded me of Raphtalia whom I considered a real beauty too. I've been looking forward to this show and it didn't disappoint. The setting appeared magical and the soundtracks were also pleasing to the heart. The chemistry with Kraft Lawrence was too cute as well and my, Holo's voice and accent? was lovable on my part. I'm so happy that this has 25 episodes!
Apr 15, 3:23 PM
Sep 2017
beautiful come back
Apr 15, 7:34 PM

Dec 2022
ahhh the English dub is here, feels good man. tis simply incorrect to experience Medieval European bliss in the language of the Samurai.
this shall surely be a lovely adaptation
Apr 15, 11:43 PM
Mar 2016
This is not really a intense fighting anime. not sure why they decided for a remake. the old anime is just so perfect.
by the way, I watched the old anime back at the time I was into shonen super power. All I see was talking a lot. no intense, no fighting. I can't even remember the event in s1 and s2 now.
Apr 16, 5:54 AM

May 2015
It's a shame the village forgot their promise to Holo. Their loss, because now our merchant MC Lawrence gets a terrific traveling companion!
Apr 16, 8:38 AM
Oct 2018
I'm so glad the show is back and doing so well,this was a great first episode and it seems they want a full adaptation,I'm glad they are putting the love that this show deserves!
Apr 16, 7:42 PM
Sep 2022
maybe I'm not the target audience but I couldn't make it through the first episode of this
Apr 18, 4:49 PM

Jul 2017
I only rewatched a part of the episode but just wanted to have a taste of the English dub and man I feel so much at home with it. The Japanese voices are fine but I truly loved the dub version of it and it's really good to see the cast back and sounding great in roles so far. Also, the opening was sung in English as well for the English dub version so that is interesting to say the least. Doesn't sound as smooth as the Japanese version of course, but still fairly solid and cool that they did adapt to English for this. ED was still in Japanese though but that's fine.

I do eventually want to rewatch this entry of Spice and Wolf at some point before a second season, and the fact that the dub cast is back and running does make the idea of a rewatch even more enjoyable than me watching it right now weekly in Japanese to be honest, but I'll try and get through both versions in full before season 2 ever happens.
Apr 18, 6:11 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to animejas
I only rewatched a part of the episode but just wanted to have a taste of the English dub and man I feel so much at home with it. The Japanese voices are fine but I truly loved the dub version of it and it's really good to see the cast back and sounding great in roles so far. Also, the opening was sung in English as well for the English dub version so that is interesting to say the least. Doesn't sound as smooth as the Japanese version of course, but still fairly solid and cool that they did adapt to English for this. ED was still in Japanese though but that's fine.

I do eventually want to rewatch this entry of Spice and Wolf at some point before a second season, and the fact that the dub cast is back and running does make the idea of a rewatch even more enjoyable than me watching it right now weekly in Japanese to be honest, but I'll try and get through both versions in full before season 2 ever happens.
@animejas

You should watch the whole episode, there is a scene towards the end that just felt so amazing with the English VAs back. Brina is just absolutely fantastic as Holo, no elaboration needed....but even J.Michael as Lawrence is like a tonic to me, he adds such a soft/ calm feeling to the character and when these two are having a touching scene it just makes me melt hearing them together. I am sure the Japanese VA are really good but these are the characters I know. I am already so excited to see how some of my favourite scenes are going to play out in this remake.

And Kevin Penkin is killing it with the music.
Apr 18, 7:24 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to Yorda_trico
@animejas

You should watch the whole episode, there is a scene towards the end that just felt so amazing with the English VAs back. Brina is just absolutely fantastic as Holo, no elaboration needed....but even J.Michael as Lawrence is like a tonic to me, he adds such a soft/ calm feeling to the character and when these two are having a touching scene it just makes me melt hearing them together. I am sure the Japanese VA are really good but these are the characters I know. I am already so excited to see how some of my favourite scenes are going to play out in this remake.

And Kevin Penkin is killing it with the music.
@Yorda_trico I should but I'll probably save it for when I watch the dub in its entirety without waiting, probably would feel more satisfied during the entire run that way.
Apr 19, 7:15 PM

Feb 2017
I was super skeptical about the remake. The original was fantastic. But after watching the first episode, I'm sold. I love how they captured the medieval aesthetic with the updated animation. It feels like the original, but more polished. And yes, Holo is still as charming as ever! I'll definitely keep watching to see how they handle the rest of the story.

ㅤㅤ I love Nao Tomori ♡
ㅤㅤ友利奈緒のことが大好きです ♥

let's feel good
レッツ フィールグッドします
Apr 19, 8:58 PM

Dec 2019
I haven't watched Spice and Wolf 08 in years, so unlike FMA 03 and Brotherhood (where it was obvious just how much Brotherhood was rushing the early parts, and the story suffered as a result), I can't really say how well this compares to its previous adaptation. Furthermore, I've never read the books, so I'm mostly able to judge this adaptation on its own merits.

The first episode is very charming, and I'm looking forward to following this show as the dub comes out; I likely wouldn't have bothered to watch it at all if Palencia and Tatum hadn't come back to voice the MCs. My assessment of the show on the whole as it progresses will come down mainly to three things:

1. Is Holo as much of an outright brat as she was (or at least, as I remember her being) in the 08 series, to the point where many of her actions made no sense?

2. Does the series draw out the start of Holo and Lawrence's actual relationship like it did in the original? I know their relationship starting at the end of the 08 series was probably just because that's roughly when it began in the books (again, haven't read them), but it would still be nice if they just admitted to each other early on that they want to bone each other until they're both walking bow-legged the next day, and saved us a lot of will-they-won't-they bullshit.

3. How does it end? I know the books are still being written, so lord knows if the ending will be show-original, the actual ending after the books have concluded, or what, but hopefully it will at least be more satisfying than the rather weak 08 ending.

I haven't read jack shit about the show, so if any of my concerns have been addressed in an article or tweet or something, please link me to it.
CartoonVelocirapApr 19, 9:05 PM
Apr 24, 12:46 AM

Feb 2018
The dialogue is awkward relative to the 2008 version, and the new theme is lame, nowhere near as good as Tabi no Tochuu
NordstjaernanApr 24, 12:50 AM
Apr 24, 12:52 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to CartoonVelocirap
I haven't watched Spice and Wolf 08 in years, so unlike FMA 03 and Brotherhood (where it was obvious just how much Brotherhood was rushing the early parts, and the story suffered as a result), I can't really say how well this compares to its previous adaptation. Furthermore, I've never read the books, so I'm mostly able to judge this adaptation on its own merits.

The first episode is very charming, and I'm looking forward to following this show as the dub comes out; I likely wouldn't have bothered to watch it at all if Palencia and Tatum hadn't come back to voice the MCs. My assessment of the show on the whole as it progresses will come down mainly to three things:

1. Is Holo as much of an outright brat as she was (or at least, as I remember her being) in the 08 series, to the point where many of her actions made no sense?

2. Does the series draw out the start of Holo and Lawrence's actual relationship like it did in the original? I know their relationship starting at the end of the 08 series was probably just because that's roughly when it began in the books (again, haven't read them), but it would still be nice if they just admitted to each other early on that they want to bone each other until they're both walking bow-legged the next day, and saved us a lot of will-they-won't-they bullshit.

3. How does it end? I know the books are still being written, so lord knows if the ending will be show-original, the actual ending after the books have concluded, or what, but hopefully it will at least be more satisfying than the rather weak 08 ending.

I haven't read jack shit about the show, so if any of my concerns have been addressed in an article or tweet or something, please link me to it.
@CartoonVelocirap
but it would still be nice if they just admitted to each other early on that they want to bone each other until they're both walking bow-legged the next day, and saved us a lot of will-they-won't-they bullshit.

Why are you even watching this show?
Apr 24, 12:09 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to Nordstjaernan
@CartoonVelocirap
but it would still be nice if they just admitted to each other early on that they want to bone each other until they're both walking bow-legged the next day, and saved us a lot of will-they-won't-they bullshit.

Why are you even watching this show?
@Nordstjaernan For the adventures travelling through a medieval land with economics lessons tied in, experienced through the lens of two characters with an interesting dynamic. A dynamic which would be even more interesting than it was in the 08 series if the characters in question became a couple fairly early on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGt9mJcJ2O0&t=23s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqB_0BT3Yvo&t=34s

CartoonVelocirapApr 24, 7:39 PM
Apr 29, 3:57 PM

Jul 2016
I never started with the original Spice and Wolf, but thought that I would check out this remake. I can definitely see why Holo has the fanbase that she does, but the real highlight so far has been the soundtrack.
Apr 29, 6:40 PM

Aug 2014
Nice animation from a studio who ruined my beloved Rias Gremory ;/
They suit this type of anime more I see..
the story is unique, the setting is nice
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Apr 29, 7:25 PM
Jul 2016
Good chemistry between 2 main characters, warm to the heart
May 1, 12:12 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
I've heard quite a lot from this series from back in the day but never managed to set some time aside to watch it. Since it's national holiday and this remake seemed to have gotten good reviews I might as well do it now and so far there's a wolf lady that boosts harvests and a merchant who feels a bit aroused by her naked body. Good start.

Regarding the OP and ED, they are cute.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 5, 8:01 PM
Apr 2023
medieval default
May 6, 6:21 AM

Feb 2021
Somehow, I like the song on this anime :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 8, 5:37 AM

Feb 2019
It's so great to see Spice and Wolf again, and to hear Holo's sweet voice and unique way of speaking.

The new artstyle took a bit getting used to, but I'm glad they're using the same VAs for the characters! I miss Holo's way of speaking so much ^^

Here's hoping this time the journey doesn't end after 25 episodes!
May 9, 10:27 AM
Jun 2016
Classic Holo being a wise wolf
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13

47 by Ashhk »»
9 hours ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

26 by TransferUser »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8

141 by AshesOnFire19 »»
Yesterday, 7:45 PM

» Soundtrack Vol. 1 release (digital)

perseii - May 9

2 by Hardgore_Lasagna »»
Yesterday, 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.