Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 2, 7:25 PM
Sep 2021
It´s very nice, I want to see more
Apr 2, 8:58 PM

Mar 2007
So okay I get it about the casual nudity but at least they didn't make it ... uh weird. Holo is cute though, I haven't seen the old version but I'm enjoying it so far.
Apr 2, 9:57 PM

Sep 2018
The new designs grew on me pretty quick. I learned a lot of new things about Holo and her village despite being an anime only for the og. The animation and music was stellar. The plot really feels unique which is a plus.
Apr 2, 10:03 PM

Dec 2019
Well, I just began watching this since it seemed interesting and all, but can anyone more or less explain what's the difference between this and the 2008 anime?
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Apr 2, 10:15 PM
Mar 2016
It was exactly what I desired from a remake of the adaptation! The OST is great, the art! As always you will miss what people are thinking, but that also happens with Fate/Stay Night :3
Apr 2, 10:22 PM
Jul 2017
Mannnnnn the feels I'm getting back from watching this masterpiece is surreal! Brings back a lot of memories. The scenes, the interactions, the musics. They did a really good job capturing the moments like how I remembers it from the original anime. Truly a good time to be alive!

And we got to see Myuri in the beginning, could it be a hint they are planning to adapt until Wolf and Parchment?
... a man can hope.
Apr 2, 10:22 PM
Oct 2022
I liked the chapter, I wasn't expecting much but the beginning was very good, the animation is also good, it has its moments that I really liked, I didn't see the 2008 anime but this remake looks good.
LocoiJackApr 2, 10:26 PM
Apr 2, 10:32 PM

Dec 2016
I remember reading the light novels in 2017 because my high school library had the first 5 books. Then when I ran out of material to read (for some reason my local bookstore only had the later volumes) I went to watch the anime and was wondering who the hell Chloe was. I didn't get very far in the original anime and I haven't read the books in like 5 years (only got to volume 7) so I'm super hyped for this, especially since it's more true to the LNs. I feel like a teenager again.
Apr 2, 11:34 PM

Dec 2009
It isn't perfect, but what a joy to have this franchise back as an anime remake!
I really hope we get a full adaptation this time.

I haven't rewatched the first episode in over 10 years, probably since 2010 of rewatching it before S2,
but looking back at their meeting, the howl of the original sounds much better and natural. While the remake's sound effects of that and her bones cracking was of poor quality.
In contrast the music is great though, even though those two sounds were mediocre.

Both soundtracks seem great but they each have their own unique charm.
I'd have to rewatch the original E1 to properly review how I feel of their differences, but I like both soundtracks, even though that eery music when they meet is epic.

Otherwise, my only complaint of fault from both was her transformation.
We see more in the remake which is great, but the pacing of both is awkward in its pauses to then sudden disappearance and Lawrence's weird panic.

Overall, even though the bright lighting tone of the remake is a bit jarring, the character design, proportion and animation is far better with this next-gen quality which I love.

The acting even though great in both is clearly matured as veterans in this remake, as they've acted this several times.

I love that we got a preview of their daughter in the introduction when Holo starts her tale of her story with Lawrence!
It kinda got me emotional for how beautiful that is on its own.
The opening song is pretty good as well, but it doesn't beat the original, even though I appreciate the tribute from its lyrics.

... I've postponed this for years, but I finally bought the first volume of the light novel and will try to read it simultaneously as I watch this remake weekly.
I'm really glad we're already getting 25 episodes as well.

I also can't wait to compare the original novel right away to this anime.
... I'm looking forward to finally experiencing the full main story of this beautiful romance.

I think we can be assured that this team will adapt the whole main story. Hopefully.
They seem incredibly promising, and the franchise is clearly still popular, and even still publishing.
I even watched both virtual reality shorts. They were adorable.
Apr 3, 12:23 AM

Mar 2019
The goddess of wheat and harvest is back!🌾
I love you Holo, It's always good to see you naked in the middle of the wheat field haha.💜
Apr 3, 2:16 AM
May 2020
goated as per usual
Apr 3, 2:44 AM
May 2020
Great first episode and nostalgia. Studio Passione can be hit or miss I feel sometimes considering their remake of the Higurashi series wasn't well received. I highly doubt that will be the case here. I remember watching the original dubbed in English and how great Brina Palencia and Michael Tatum were together and from other comments, it looks like the entire fanbase is excited the original VA's will reprise their roles.
Apr 3, 3:24 AM

Sep 2014
thx god for keeping this alive
Apr 3, 3:30 AM

Jul 2020
I'm still convinced it didn't need a remake but oh well. Might as well watch this one too
Apr 3, 5:06 AM
Feb 2024
The overall animation is quite good and there is a lot of attention to detail. I can't say much about the story yet but at least its something original
Apr 3, 6:26 AM
Mar 2018
Reply to Astrid_Bear
riffenrun said:
Not upset nor impressed. But i hadn't actually expected much. I'm a huge fan of the original . This simply wasn't as good.

Heard arguments that it looks better or more modern. This just doesn't match the charm of the original visually or audibly.

Also heard how the original wasn't sufficiently true to the story. But i watch anime. I only rarely read the manga/light novels and then only after watching an anime that has especially pleased me. So i don't really care if its true to 'lore'.

At the risk of dating myself - this is just a mimeographed copy.

They would have been much better off continuing from where the original left off. I would have been delighted to have the story continued even if it wasn't quite as good.

But this is getting excited to unwrap a package only to find nothing inside. Just disappointment.

Bad plan.

Well you may find it decently interesting maybe. As book 4 was not adapted and will be a fun little new adventure so it’s not all the same
@Astrid_Bear not so far, as of episode 1: nothing new, not equal in quality or appeal to the original
Apr 3, 6:40 AM
Mar 2018
Reply to Calal-Chan
@riffenrun I love the original seasons myself and own them on Blu-ray, but this is just your nostalgia talking. What you said basically sounds like you would have never liked a remake because it isn't the old show. The animation was actually more lively than the old show. The music is done by Kevin Penkin who is known by most as a genius. We have the same two voice actors and we even have the same director. There is so much love to the source material in this adaptation and while nothing can be perfect you really are dating yourself as you said.

They even plan to go past where the original did so if it does well enough you will also be getting a sequel to the original in some ways. It was smarter to start from well the start as the og is 15 years old and a pure sequel would have attracted less people.

Honestly simply comparing it to the original is close minded and missing the entire point of why the director wanted to make this adaptation. It is simply because he loves Spice and Wolf, and without him neither the original or this new one would exist. Spice and Wolf just isn't an easy adaptation hence why the original both had changes, and even skipped an entire book while also leaving on a cliff hanger on their relationship. This sequel is a chance to actually have the books adapted fully and I feel real fans of Spice and Wolf should be excited.
@Calal-Chan

Watched episode 1. Did not find it more lively. Nothing new. Not as enjoyable.

'Dating myself' referred to my use of the term 'mimeographed' meant to infer a bad copy
Apr 3, 7:04 AM
Jan 2021
Really good beginning. I'm looking forward to where it goes!
Apr 3, 8:10 AM

Nov 2016
I dunno about this being better or worse than the older series(way too early to tell anyway) All I can say is that I'm pleased as far as first impressions are concerned. Love how atmospheric this is compared to most other seasonals and that it's nicely paced. Takahashi knows his shit.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 3, 9:00 AM
Feb 2022
Lots of people happy to see this show back live again I mean a sequel from a series thought to have been forgot
Apr 3, 9:35 AM

May 2020
I kept putting off watching this
but I've finally gotten around to it
I loved the old spice and wolf and I hope they do it justice with this new adaptation
I watched the old one in dub as the dub was really good for it so the sub feels a bit weird for me but I'm sure I'll get used to it
so far i do still prefer the older one of this but again this is only the first ep and ill get used to the art style and animation of it
let's hope this remake is as good as the original
cant wait for ep 2

Apr 3, 10:43 AM
Oct 2020
"wacchi wa horo"
The first episode and how it hits hard—nostalgia at its peak. Her manner of speaking, her godly appearance—everything was incredible.
Apr 3, 11:43 AM

Mar 2024
Never got to watch the original one, so this was my first Holo experience. Can see why people liked her though, good floof girl. A lot more assertive and smug than I expected, which is very good. Promising.
Apr 3, 12:00 PM

Feb 2024
i was watching it side by side with the original and ,damn they have improved it..I hope it'll get past the originals story

Apr 3, 1:03 PM

Jul 2016
It's the Return of the King (and Queen) folks get ready.

So I guess this series is framed as a flashback of a story Holo is telling a young Myuri. Hey spoilers for the like 8 people who haven't heard of S&W and having this be their first experience of the series.

The decision to bring in Yarei from the LNs and dump Chloe is amusing considering they are keeping the anime/manga original Norah. Guess it's because Norah is actually has staying power in the story and can't particularly be replaced. I'm fine with this change as I'm sure many others will be too considering Chloe wasn't even that particularly well-received and hardly shows up.

I find the scene where Holo and Lawrence first meet a bit of a downgrade and let-down compared to the og's. It feels very much like they were speedrunning the dialogue to get past the scene. Even if the dialogue is almost a one-for-one match there is far less "weight" in this one. THe og's scene is a truly iconic scene where Holo stares deep and longingly towards her past with so much nostalgia and emotion tied to the long pauses both she and Lawrence take between their lines. You get the feeling Lawrence was only bought over by Holo because of the genuine yearning he felt from Holo. It's mostly lost here because they just sped through the dialogue almost like they knew we already knew what was going to happen because we already watched the og series.

Koshimizu Ami has a slight change in her voice but that's not too surprising since it's been 15 years.

In a reversal I like Lawrence's interaction with Yarei over Chloe. You get more of a feeling that he truly respects Lawrence and wants out of the village so it's pretty decent setup for what's going to happen latter on.

Damn Holo looks fine in those clothes. I like that there is much more character expression in the show. It also keeps the beautiful backgrounds.

The soundtrack from Kevin Penkin is nice. I expect we will get even more good stuff from the OST. It just makes me sad to think Yoshino Yuuji hasn't returned for the OST. I spent a long time tracking down any mention of him on the internet since he basically dropped from the face of the earth. His (very short) Wikipedia article says he did the OST for the games Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly and Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk both released in 2015 and it lists him as the composer on their Wikipedia page as well. I am unable to verify the reference link to the staff page because I can't read Japanese. But hopefully this least this shows he's maybe still active as a game soundtrack composer. Kevin Penkin, in spite of - or perhaps because of - his prolific genius in composing anime soundtracks, has big shoes to fill.

Overall I do wish the apparent hastiness of this first episode is a one-time thing considering a huge appeal of the original was the slow ennui and atmosphere as well as the back and forth banter between Lawrence and Holo that was fantastic and well-loved because there wasn't any purpose to it other than being just banter. But a series an episode doesn't make which is true for this and the og series. I like this episode and hope it will get better and better as the series continues.
Apr 3, 1:57 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to jesiolek
When you think anime keeps getting better, studio Passione hits us with AI generated animations...
Why did they event take these series on if they didn't plan to animate it properly, thats pitifull mess. The original didnt even age enough to justify a remake, whats the point of iterating good work with this half-assed creation.
@jesiolek I agree that it's half-assed, but there's nothing ai about it. They use CGI for animation, then start removing frames and draw on top of them to seem 2d.

but yeah, it looks like a generic anime. Passione has no ability to create a good atmosphere. They butchered Higurashi as well. The scenes are oversaturated, the music is worse, and the direction is boring. I'd rather watch the old version than this. Passione seems to be a cheap studio that does mediocre anime. They should stick to the generic etchi stuff.
Apr 3, 1:57 PM
Jun 2023
The new animation is pretty good, eye catching. Also, they made this reanimation more relate to LN, glad to see these two again. I am looking forward their bantering (I am not fond of this economic academy but I love these two)
Apr 3, 2:00 PM
Sep 2020
Exceeding expectations!!
Apr 3, 2:25 PM
Mar 2017
Reply to riffenrun
Not upset nor impressed. But i hadn't actually expected much. I'm a huge fan of the original . This simply wasn't as good.

Heard arguments that it looks better or more modern. This just doesn't match the charm of the original visually or audibly.

Also heard how the original wasn't sufficiently true to the story. But i watch anime. I only rarely read the manga/light novels and then only after watching an anime that has especially pleased me. So i don't really care if its true to 'lore'.

At the risk of dating myself - this is just a mimeographed copy.

They would have been much better off continuing from where the original left off. I would have been delighted to have the story continued even if it wasn't quite as good.

But this is getting excited to unwrap a package only to find nothing inside. Just disappointment.

Bad plan.
@riffenrun Felt this way myself. Was irritated to begin with when I realized it was a remake rather than a continuation. But I figured I'd give it a shot. Immediately noticed the atmosphere was destroyed from the beginning. The supporting cast was so bland as to be pointless, the story feels more rushed, the voice acting has declined, and while Chloe might not have been in the original story, her replacement was actually worse either way. The graphical changes were really only good for Holo, and the hair flick to me was really just an indicator that graphical changes are all that this remake is likely contribute... Guess we'll see, gonna give it a second episode but if the next one is like the first I'm likely to just drop it altogether.
Apr 3, 2:44 PM
Mar 2015
Another great lawerence and Holo adventure
Apr 3, 3:57 PM

May 2013
Reply to jesiolek
When you think anime keeps getting better, studio Passione hits us with AI generated animations...
Why did they event take these series on if they didn't plan to animate it properly, thats pitifull mess. The original didnt even age enough to justify a remake, whats the point of iterating good work with this half-assed creation.
@jesiolek Are you saying it's confirmed to be ai animation? It looks pretty decent. I didn't see anything that even remotely gave me that impression. If anything I was pleasantly surprised it came out as well as it has given it's passione.
Apr 3, 4:00 PM

Dec 2019
this, THIS is a real waifu that puts mass-produced female school characters to shame. I'm srsly convinced this remake is a cash-grab, given how little effort the production needs, unlike shows that REALLY need a remake.. Claymore, Gantz etc. so this project is pointless but cool to see
Apr 3, 4:02 PM

May 2013
First episode was pretty good. Background art seemed a little dull, but the art also seemed a little crisper / more detailed. Character art seems a little flatter but closer to the light novel art. Seems about as good, and really loved the extra bits they threw in, like the opening scene. Frames the show well imo.
Apr 3, 4:13 PM

May 2013
Reply to Euroqean
this, THIS is a real waifu that puts mass-produced female school characters to shame. I'm srsly convinced this remake is a cash-grab, given how little effort the production needs, unlike shows that REALLY need a remake.. Claymore, Gantz etc. so this project is pointless but cool to see
@Euroqean I wouldn't call this remake pointless. The original adaptation adapted volumes 1, 2, 3, and 5, and there are 25 volumes. They didn't even scratch to surface of their character development / romatic development and yet the original adaptation was still beloved. Imagine if they adapted all of it without having totally intolerable production quality. I'd take that over most shows tbh because S&W is a favorite. I'd agree, though, that remaking the first few volumes was unnecessary, but can understand if they wanted a more complete adaptation / to start over with an art style more resembling the source material.
Apr 3, 4:17 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know how I feel about the new design but I guess it will grow me eventually.

I do wonder though is this the exact same content as season 1 and 2 or is it actually more than a remake? (i do know s2 did skip a bit? Not sure, been ages) The most important question however is can holo's VA pull it of again because she was really really good in the original x) People watching this in dumb are weird, muricans man
removed-userApr 3, 4:23 PM
Apr 3, 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to ETHANDARYL420
i was watching it side by side with the original and ,damn they have improved it..I hope it'll get past the originals story

@ETHANDARYL420 This is improved for you? Dnno, first pic feels like a wannabe fate clone. Original is more charming. Obviously nostalgia plays a role, but still
Apr 3, 4:27 PM
May 2020
Reply to sailorshirayuki
Stark700 said:
Man, after all these years, Spice and Wolf is back in its glory. OP song has a melancholic tone but imo fits for this show.

Lawrence makes his appearance his personality is relatively the same as I remember from the previous season. Holo's introduction this season looked surreal. An obvious surprise for Lawrence but still a very important moment for the main story. I love the soundtrack they used for that moment. I love the tone of her voice too. Character designs looks more colorful and vibrant compared to the previous show but stills works well imo.

A really wonderful return for the franchise on TV imo.

Oh wait question: is this a sequel? I have never watched Spice and Wolf before and this looked good so I plan to start with this? Is it ok or is there a prequel? :)
@sailorshirayuki its a remake so you can watch it without watching the original if you want to
Apr 3, 4:40 PM

Feb 2010
Reply to removed-user
I don't know how I feel about the new design but I guess it will grow me eventually.

I do wonder though is this the exact same content as season 1 and 2 or is it actually more than a remake? (i do know s2 did skip a bit? Not sure, been ages) The most important question however is can holo's VA pull it of again because she was really really good in the original x) People watching this in dumb are weird, muricans man
@FoodstampDayo no it wont it's a more faithful adaptation also s1 skipped book 4. so ya.....

honestly i hope this gets the Full FMAB treatment. especially nowdays where it's more common to get full adaptations compared to back then where so many great series never got continued not because of sales, but because back then anime was used more as an advert for the source material.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 3, 5:09 PM

Aug 2011
Magical.

It's fantastic having Spice and Wold back!!!! And the effort put in shows!!!

So far the first episode, despite being merely introductions, has such a 'magical' feeling to it. I am expecting this adaption will maintain that quality and be truly a massive addition to the franchise!!!

It's interesting hearing new seiyuu after all these years, it's going to take a slight bit of adjustment to get used to Lulu as Lawrence xD

Ookami to Mugi Mugi
Apr 3, 5:36 PM

Feb 2013
You guys….you guys…I can’t tell you how insanely happy I am right now.
Apr 3, 5:41 PM
May 2015
Remake looks great. I watched the original way back when it aired and barely remember it so this will be a great rewatch for me. Just gotta resist the urge to go back and watch the old one to see what happens next once it starts getting really good :D
Apr 3, 6:29 PM
Nov 2018
I'm considering holding off on the series until I hear what the dub will sound like. Spice and Wolf was the first time I ever read a light novel because I loved these two so much, however that meant the dub was literally the voices I used for hundreds of hours of reading, because Holo and Lawrence were nailed

If the dub comes out at a reasonable time period, I'll probably wait until the dub to see if it's worth restructuring my voice recognition for the series
Apr 3, 6:59 PM
Mar 2019
This is a beautiful first episode to this remake. It's also one of those cool down anime that is worth watching to instrospect. A nice bit of historical fiction as wel. :)
Apr 3, 7:31 PM
Feb 2020
riffenrun said:
@Astrid_Bear not so far, as of episode 1: nothing new, not equal in quality or appeal to the original

There is, (I don’t wanna rant about it cuz I’m not trying to be that one dude on MAL as well as arguing is stupid lol) but I’d say if you can re read first chap then re watch first ep of both anime’s do it. It’s not like a SUPER drastic change. Although it is one to note and I think it’s done on a better note in the books.
Apr 3, 7:47 PM

Nov 2023
I never watched the original adaptation, but the first episode of this got me really excited. 

Waiting weekly is going to be hell, unfortunately.

Apr 3, 8:16 PM

Dec 2013
It feels surreal to have it back indeed. I know I shouldn't have had hopes for more, but the ep count being confirmed at 25 still breaks my heart. I really hope it's just one of many upcoming adaptations. This masterpiece deserves it and I can't be arsed to finish the books (been reading them on and off since 2015 lmao).
I liked the original OST better but this one is still pretty good so far and also features violins like the old one. The art is looking pretty great and not starkly different from the OG.
Apr 3, 11:06 PM

Aug 2008
I first saw Spice and Wolf when it first aired when I was in high school. I can't believe it's been almost 20 years! And I'm super happy to see the same seiyuu reprising their roles.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Apr 4, 1:23 AM

Oct 2008
Reply to phantomfandom
I haven't watch the 2008-2009 adaptation so this should be an interesting journey for me.
@phantomfandom - me too, i wasn't active on anime on that early years (2008-2009) so this is gonna be a great one for me considering a lot of doujins made on this series...lolz

Apr 4, 10:52 AM

Nov 2012
Reply to unmemorablehero
You guys….you guys…I can’t tell you how insanely happy I am right now.
@unmemorablehero you a fan of holo or something? couldnt tell.

i will stand by liking the original anime style better but thats just something ill have to accept. at least, hopefully, itll adapt the entire LN's.
Apr 4, 10:57 AM

Apr 2008
Is it me, or is there a LOT of bloom going on? Maybe the visual tone of the show will shift as the plot gets darker over time, who knows.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

92 by Magicmist »»
2 hours ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

28 by Scootboi »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

50 by Scootboi »»
2 hours ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 6 hours ago

5 by Eva_Unit_00 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.