Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 5:10 AM

Jun 2021
Haven't watched the original but this has a good feel to it, very calming to watch. Nice OP as well
Apr 2, 5:47 AM

Mar 2018
Really bad. I don't know what happened to the chief director considering it is the exact same person who directed the original series, but it's a massive disappointment. Something terrible must be going on in production in comparison to when the original series aired, whether it is an industry or a studio/whatever problem I don't know but it's massively disappointing.

"Awoooo!" howled Holo. Fear gripped the men. Even Lawrence stepped back. Should they have
seen her fangs, he had prepared a cover story: that all sufficiently angry women seemed to bear
fangs.
Apr 2, 5:53 AM
Apr 2021
Passione really just keeps getting better and better with the anime they produced bc this was just fucking beautiful man I’ve seen this a while back and I’m so fucking hyped seeing it in 2020’s high quality it’s so cool seeing Holo’s red eyes just glow brightly red and the animation in the beginning when she was putting her hand on the mug that she was drinking out of was beautifully animated I’m so happy man🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹

The opening and ending song are bangers especially the ending ClariS from Lycoris Recoil to this they just never fail to impress me with the banger music they put out🥰🔥🔥🔥

Cant wait to follow Holo and Lawrence on this 25 episode journey man it’s gonna be so nice and relaxing for sure😊😊
Apr 2, 7:10 AM

May 2015
I am satisfied, very good adaptation, more close to the light novel than the firs adaptation was. The first scene set the mood teasing a character from the spin-off light novel series, the background music was pretty good, the design of Holo is crisp and "sexy" as she should be and she still speaks that archaic oiran dailect (the dialect of high ranking japanese courtisans) that I loved so much. And the color palette!, man those skies looked beautiful!
IshitatesoApr 2, 7:36 AM
Apr 2, 7:37 AM

Jan 2021
Holo! Long time no see~ still as magnificent as ever, and I'm so happy that her voice and Lawrence's voice are still the same as the original version.

Looking forward to Holo eating apples in almost every episode, hahaha.

Apr 2, 8:00 AM

Sep 2020
Haven't seen the original anime but I can already tell this gonna be a perfect replacement of Sousou no Frieren for me.

Love the overall vibe. Great start, waiting for more.
Apr 2, 8:13 AM

May 2018
I can't believe it. It's actually back. Nostalgia overwhelm me.
Apr 2, 8:29 AM
Aug 2022
I liked it but she doesn't look close enough to the light novels. She should be slimmer and way flatter. Lawrence also looks a bit more buff now. Overall a downgrade design wise. Could've been way worse though, and I'm interested in the future episodes.
Apr 2, 8:42 AM

Sep 2016
I’m so glad everyone is back! Especially Yarei, now they know they should follow the LN source more
Apr 2, 9:01 AM

Dec 2017
This was actually much better than I thought it'd be. Definitely gonna continue with the LN after the anime ends if the vibes are the same.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Apr 2, 9:12 AM

Dec 2010
I don't understand why there is so much hate.

The original adapted pretty fine in my opinion. It's just not possible to animate every single side story/monologue in a book.

This first episode now invigorates my love for this series. And OMG that scene in the beginning
Apr 2, 9:35 AM

May 2015
Reply to booyah10
I don't understand why there is so much hate.

The original adapted pretty fine in my opinion. It's just not possible to animate every single side story/monologue in a book.

This first episode now invigorates my love for this series. And OMG that scene in the beginning
@booyah10 Don't mind the crows. Even though I too was prepared for that the studio would pull some shitty, cheap nostalgia trip, but it has turned out to be actually a pretty good adaptation if we can judge that just from one episode.
Apr 2, 9:56 AM

Jan 2014
I was surprised with this, when I find it on airing anime. Haven't seen any news about a reboot or probably just forget about it. I kind of forgot most of the details about this anime but not their first meeting. Glad I could watch this on HD. I still picture that cheese when he says his name. I don't really read LN so I'm not sure if that was their child or not and it seems they are in the north.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Apr 2, 10:07 AM

Oct 2013
More like "Wolf and bad CGI"
The art style and quality seem worse too, wtf? Sure, the lines are cleaner and there's higher resolution and gradient filters, but the stylization and backgrounds are really a step down... Was this reboot really frigging needed?
Apr 2, 10:16 AM
Aug 2023
After a long time, I finally got to admire the beauty of the holo and that scheming yet lovely voice0

I'm very satisfied right now

thank you Passione
Apr 2, 10:22 AM
Nov 2022
It looks interesting, I haven't seen the 2008 anime but I know it has good reviews, I'm going to give this remake a chance, it could be fun.
Apr 2, 10:38 AM

Dec 2023
Lets gooo,the wise wolf is back!!!
Apr 2, 11:25 AM

Jan 2018
I originally wanted to watch the original Spice & Wolf before watching the Remake... But since the Remake already came out, I guess I'll watch it first. Or I could watch the old version simultaneously with the new version and spot the difference. I heard some people doing the same thing with Urusei Yatsura so it could be interesting.

I already saw some people bitching about the character design of the new anime and watching the first episode I didn't think it was bad at all. I actually liked them more than what I saw in the original design online. But then again, I may not have the nostalgia to think the original design is better.

Anyway, this has a very interesting premise. Can't say I'm hooked just yet but I'm interested enough to continue watching it. The OP and ED are good and Holo looks like a fun character. So glad it's 25 consecutive episodes which is somewhat of a rarity these days. Hoping for a full adaptation!
Apr 2, 11:29 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Pretty calming OP. That was quite the crowd that Kraft saw in the field. Quite the being to find curled up in your cart. The wolf spirit given form huh. Looks like the bond between Kraft and the village is a deep one. Wheat possession sure sounds pretty useful. I guess being a god of harvest can also be exhausting as well given the balance needed between the village and the land. The bond between Holo and Kraft going forward sure looks to be an interesting one. Overall an excellent opening ep that featured a fine balance of lore, character intros and comedy via the interactions between Holo and Kraft. Never thought that one of Ami Koshimizu's greatest works gets a reboot but man she truly shines here.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 11:30 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Narizor
I never watched the original version, so I decided to watch the remake. At first glance, for someone who knows nothing about the story, it seems like it will be something sad, especially with the opening scene of the tale, which I imagine is Holo narrating it.

The OP and the ED are pleasant to listen to, but the soundtrack is on another level, it enamored me and convinced me to watch this anime.

P.S.: Would you recommend watching the original version first, or should I wait until I finish the remake?
@Narizor I'd recommend watching them side by side, each episode as it comes out, starting with the 2024 version. So far, the 2024 is more faithful to the story... But looks kinda bad.
Apr 2, 11:34 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
man chills all throughout the episode
wtf this is such a W

Apr 2, 11:38 AM
Dec 2023
Didn`t watch og one, but this one seems nice. MC is a bit boring so far, but Holo is nice, tho her face become more generic and og looked more memorable imho. Overall liked the rural festival theme of episode, seemed fun and lively. Well looking forward for what comes next
Apr 2, 11:38 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Valkidol
Really bad. I don't know what happened to the chief director considering it is the exact same person who directed the original series, but it's a massive disappointment. Something terrible must be going on in production in comparison to when the original series aired, whether it is an industry or a studio/whatever problem I don't know but it's massively disappointing.
@Valkidol what i don't get is how the hell after 20~ years of bad anime CGI, we still have bad anime CGI that's as horrid as ever...

And yeah, feels like a really lazy reboot, the TWO things it has going for it is actually following the novel's story this time, and a face art style that's A LITTLE closer to the original illustrations (more rounded faces)...
Apr 2, 11:54 AM

Feb 2008
I remember watching the first series back in 2008, almost at the same time I joined MAL, and this first episode brought back some nice memories.
Also, I'm so glad they kept the same VA for the remake. Fukuyama Jun and Koshimizu Ami always had some great chemistry together.
Apr 2, 12:03 PM
Dec 2016
Wonderful episode, it is really nice to see Holo again after about decade. She is just as cute as before.
Apr 2, 12:04 PM
May 2008
Oh wow, I never imagined I will live this moment and here it is. It was incredibly nostalgic. OP is really nice, going to listen it a LOT on my spotify.
Apr 2, 12:06 PM

Dec 2012
This is going to be amazing.
Koshimizu Ami's playful archaic Japanese is a treat to listen to.
Apr 2, 12:21 PM
Nov 2017
"You're as beautiful as the day I lost you."
- Stoick the Vast
Apr 2, 12:29 PM

Mar 2019
Here's a couple screenshots comparing the moonlight scene with the original...
Apr 2, 12:38 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Loved the original and I expect I'm going to really like this one too. Same vibes, but looks a lot better for sure.

That said I'd be lying if I didn't say that I would have prefered for them to make a sequel instead.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 12:44 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to Narizor
I never watched the original version, so I decided to watch the remake. At first glance, for someone who knows nothing about the story, it seems like it will be something sad, especially with the opening scene of the tale, which I imagine is Holo narrating it.

The OP and the ED are pleasant to listen to, but the soundtrack is on another level, it enamored me and convinced me to watch this anime.

P.S.: Would you recommend watching the original version first, or should I wait until I finish the remake?
@Narizor is stick with remake. It follows the books more and the animation is significantly better. The books story was far more superior than og anime thus it’s good they are sticking to source material
Apr 2, 12:48 PM
Nov 2022
At first episode, I think this is a great remake of this wonderful Anime. I hope everyone enjoys this beautiful classic. By the way, Holo is the best !!!
Apr 2, 1:15 PM

Dec 2013
I never got to watch the first adaptation or read the light novel but ofc I know it is well beloved, looking forward to the series.
Apr 2, 1:35 PM

Jan 2008
Music line up is fantastic. Opening by Hana Hope. Ending by ClariS. OST by Keven Penkin.

I never really saw Spice and Wolf as show for everyone though. Feel like some will be disappointed because it's not what they expected. Holo's super cute but I don't know if that alone will be enough.

Apr 2, 1:44 PM
Jul 2021
Compared to the 2008 version, this new version has more detailed characters. For some reason, I prefer the old version's overall art direction, but let's see how the new version spins this story.
Apr 2, 1:51 PM
Jan 2016
Reply to Astrid_Bear
@Narizor is stick with remake. It follows the books more and the animation is significantly better. The books story was far more superior than og anime thus it’s good they are sticking to source material
@Astrid_Bear
Who besides you cares if it is following books more?
Animation looks better, well depends on what you mean by better, I personally think that original pays way more attention to details, angles they chose,
even dialogue it self is superior .

Not saying remake is bad, but if I would have to compare ep 1, I would def go with original.
Apr 2, 1:56 PM
Apr 2013
Can't stop smiling. It's finally back!
Apr 2, 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
Passione did such a great work with Higurashi art and animation. Why didn't they make this one at least as good as Higurashi was?
I really hate the gradient shading. It looks extremely cheap.
It's not like everything looks bad, but shading is really seriously downgrading the visual experience. Yeah it's surely cheaper to fill character's hair with gradient, but come on.
I liked the old chara design more too.
Too much of obvious 3DCG too.
At least the animation itself is good when it's not 3D.

Except visuals, there's nothing to complain about. Thanks God they got Koshimizu Ami as Holo again. I really can't imagine anyone else as her. Flawless performance. I'm really in love with her voice.
rsc-plApr 2, 2:03 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 2, 2:05 PM

Apr 2011
Really solid first episode. So much nostalgia
It kind of feels like we are Holo in that first scene. Telling the kids our story from long ago.
Apr 2, 2:10 PM

Apr 2020
Been a while since I've watched a fairy tale-like story. Haven't seen the 1st adaptation. Might check it out after this.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
Apr 2, 2:35 PM
Mar 2018
Not upset nor impressed. But i hadn't actually expected much. I'm a huge fan of the original . This simply wasn't as good.

Heard arguments that it looks better or more modern. This just doesn't match the charm of the original visually or audibly.

Also heard how the original wasn't sufficiently true to the story. But i watch anime. I only rarely read the manga/light novels and then only after watching an anime that has especially pleased me. So i don't really care if its true to 'lore'.

At the risk of dating myself - this is just a mimeographed copy.

They would have been much better off continuing from where the original left off. I would have been delighted to have the story continued even if it wasn't quite as good.

But this is getting excited to unwrap a package only to find nothing inside. Just disappointment.

Bad plan.
Apr 2, 4:11 PM
Feb 2020
purerogue said:
@Astrid_Bear
Who besides you cares if it is following books more?
Animation looks better, well depends on what you mean by better, I personally think that original pays way more attention to details, angles they chose,
even dialogue it self is superior .

Not saying remake is bad, but if I would have to compare ep 1, I would def go with original.

Many people care. The story in the books was vastly different and way better. There is a reason why the LN is ranked at #30 out of all manga and light novels on MAL. That shit was so good and far better than the og anime. The og is still good don’t get me wrong (I even have s1 at a 8/10 and s2 a 10/10) but if they follow the books it will be so much better with detail. After reading the books you notice it’s a lot more methodical and descriptive. I don’t want it to be adapted simple cuz it’s the damn source material (I could give 2 shits less if that was the case cuz re zero source material sucks ass and anime is 10x better) overall I believe it be a more in depth story. I believe that if they continue to follow the books the ranking for this anime will continue to shoot up as the original writing is just absolutely fantastic. I prefer new animation style the old one seems dull but I agree it’s a preference. I don’t mean to come off as an ass if that’s what you got but I do have reason to my claim. I think everyone will warm up to the new season when they see what I mean when they adapt book 2 and 4 (book 3 in og was PERFECTLY adapted)
Astrid_BearApr 2, 4:17 PM
Apr 2, 4:48 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to riffenrun
Not upset nor impressed. But i hadn't actually expected much. I'm a huge fan of the original . This simply wasn't as good.

Heard arguments that it looks better or more modern. This just doesn't match the charm of the original visually or audibly.

Also heard how the original wasn't sufficiently true to the story. But i watch anime. I only rarely read the manga/light novels and then only after watching an anime that has especially pleased me. So i don't really care if its true to 'lore'.

They would have been much better off continuing from where the original left off. I would have been delighted to have the story continued even if it wasn't quite as good.

But this is getting excited to unwrap a package only to find nothing inside. Just disappointment.

Bad plan.
@riffenrun I love the original seasons myself and own them on Blu-ray, but this is just your nostalgia talking. What you said basically sounds like you would have never liked a remake because it isn't the old show. The animation was actually more lively than the old show. The music is done by Kevin Penkin who is known by most as a genius. We have the same two voice actors and we even have the same director. There is so much love to the source material in this adaptation and while nothing can be perfect you really are dating yourself as you said.

They even plan to go past where the original did so if it does well enough you will also be getting a sequel to the original in some ways. It was smarter to start from well the start as the og is 15 years old and a pure sequel would have attracted less people.

Honestly simply comparing it to the original is close minded and missing the entire point of why the director wanted to make this adaptation. It is simply because he loves Spice and Wolf, and without him neither the original or this new one would exist. Spice and Wolf just isn't an easy adaptation hence why the original both had changes, and even skipped an entire book while also leaving on a cliff hanger on their relationship. This sequel is a chance to actually have the books adapted fully and I feel real fans of Spice and Wolf should be excited.
Apr 2, 5:13 PM
Jul 2022
I didn´t knew I needed a remake until I saw it, it´s amazing
Apr 2, 5:36 PM
Jul 2022
Pretty good. Think I prefer the original's art style but it will be refreshing to watch this series again. I can't remember the "story telling" segment at the start of the episode Though. However, I think I know who they might be ! >.<
Apr 2, 5:38 PM

Sep 2023
I have never watched the original so I'm happy about this reboot. This look pretty interesting!
Apr 2, 6:04 PM

Apr 2016
A great first episode that stays true to the tone and quality we expected of a remake of this show and one that follows more closely to the books so far.
Apr 2, 6:25 PM
Feb 2020
riffenrun said:

Bad plan.

Well you may find it decently interesting maybe. As book 4 was not adapted and will be a fun little new adventure so it’s not all the same
Apr 2, 6:47 PM

Sep 2018
Good first episode, I even watched the first episode of the original to compare and reminisce (having seen the original). His directing seemed a lot better in this remake, the episode seemed to flow a lot more naturally than the original first episode, not as many wacky camera shots either. Not that I remember the original having that problem, but it's something you notice when comparing like this.

Obviously the remake is a lot vibrant and modern with it's visuals, even the watercolor backgrounds pop off the screen far more. I think I prefer the more moderate art of the original.
GakutoDeathGlareApr 2, 6:51 PM
Apr 2, 6:51 PM

May 2022
I am in pure ecstasy!!!!

Never thought an anime would make me smile during an entire episode. I'm just so happy this remake is happening that I can't put in words.

It is clear that the ending animation in a reference to the first one of the original, and I loved it. Thanks I've born in time to watch such masterpiece.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13

49 by HotRodster »»
16 minutes ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

5 by Eva_Unit_00 »»
28 minutes ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

27 by bvajen2 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

91 by CartoonVelocirap »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.