Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 6:27 PM

Apr 2015
I've been curious about Yu-Gi-Oh for a long time now and I'm really curious whether I should start with the anime or manga, From what I gather, The manga has a more cohesive story but the anime has soundtracks and is iconic in the sense that it had a huge influence on the card game market. If any of you have read the manga, would you say the manga is superior if consumed before or after the anime?
Mar 11, 6:43 PM

Jul 2022
That's such a tough question to answer since obviously I can only have consumed one of them first.

I started with the anime as a kid and didn't read the manga until I was an adult, but I I enjoyed the manga quite a bit better.

The anime suffers from some pacing/filler issues that the manga does not, but I don't think that there's a "right" order in this case.
Mar 11, 6:53 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to alexw1020
That's such a tough question to answer since obviously I can only have consumed one of them first.

I started with the anime as a kid and didn't read the manga until I was an adult, but I I enjoyed the manga quite a bit better.

The anime suffers from some pacing/filler issues that the manga does not, but I don't think that there's a "right" order in this case.
@alexw1020 Haha yeah, It is a very weird question but I wanted opinions from people who've consumed Yu-Gi-Oh in either form. Since I can only experience It once unspoiled but from what I hear, The anime and manga are quite different so I think whichever I do first, won't hurt my experience overall since I will eventually do them both.

The manga is so much faster to consume though, while the anime will take me awhile xD
Mar 12, 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
The manga is your best bet as it feels like a cohesive story, then later maybe give the anime a try to see how much they butchered it and changed, and then watch either GX or 5D's. Zexal is optional depending on if you like the style or not, and that's it, these are all the good entries the franchise has to offer.
Mar 12, 1:32 AM
Oct 2019
I give you my own order in which I do it decide for yourself how you see it fit.
1) manga then R then prequel to dark side of dimensions
2) dark side of dimensions sub then whole series sub
3) dub for nostalgia note to end the journey (whole reason I brought the complete series set)
Mar 12, 11:57 AM

May 2021
The manga is absolutely the better starting point. The anime cuts out most of the first 7 volumes, and aside from the fact that that material was already fantastic in the manga, those cuts also notably weaken a lot of the character development in the early arcs the anime adapts. This isn’t even mentioning the anime actively rewriting arcs, and often in significantly worse form. And then there’s the filler on top of that…

In terms of presentation, while the anime doesn’t necessarily look bad, it really can’t compete with Kazuki Takahashi’s legendary art and paneling.
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
May 6, 7:13 PM

Dec 2012
The manga is the true story and characters that the creator envisioned. It is the holy bible of Yugioh. It answers everything while watching its butchered anime adaptations will leave you asking questions because important story scenes are left out and they changed the characters. Everything that came after the manga started (whether its the card game, video game, or spinoff anime) takes at least 1 thing from the manga. The best way to read the Yugioh manga

In regards to the anime, when Shueisha decided to make an anime adaptation of Yugioh for 1998, they decided to make it a multimedia series with a card game by Bandai releasing on the same day as the anime with video games following. This is what hurt Yugioh as an anime adaptation. Yugioh is a story series about games. Yugioh means Game King. Not Card Game King. They were trying to sell a card game by forcing it into the anime. Anime has greater power and visibility than manga. What is shown in the anime will basically be set in stone and spread throughout history. So if you tell a lie in the anime, it will be seen as truth by people who haven't read the source manga. Instead of accurately adapting the manga, the Toei staff and NAS/Gallop staff thought they could tell a better story than the creator. They changed so much things that there are 3 different canons of the original series.

Takahashi manga canon: Yugioh manga > Transcend Game > The Dark Side of Dimensions (Note: Yugioh R manga was made by Akira Itou, not by Takahashi)

Toei canon: Yugioh > Yugioh movie

NAS/Gallop: Duel Monsters and following spinoffs

Even though Duel Monsters starts on chapter 60 of the manga, it is by a different studio who is pushing the Konami card game (Toei pushed the Bandai card game). Its a reboot so it disconnects from the Toei Yugioh anime and has to reintroduce characters that appeared in it quickly.

Also, because the anime aired at 6 PM and 7:30/6:30 PM, there's censorship/altered scenes (+ chapters not adapted) because the manga content was too dark for TV at that time of day. Yugioh needs to air at midnight for the older audience so it wont be censored. Its not even hard to target two different audiences with the current stuff for the younger audience and the faithful adaptation for the mature folk after midnight.

Yugioh never had a chance for a faithful adaptation and with the card game taking over for so long that its part of society, there may never be a chance. The last chance would be the 30th manga anniversary after they didn't do anything for the 25th anniversary in 2021.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 7, 9:25 PM

Apr 2015
Rob said:
The manga is the true story and characters that the creator envisioned. It is the holy bible of Yugioh. It answers everything while watching its butchered anime adaptations will leave you asking questions because important story scenes are left out and they changed the characters. Everything that came after the manga started (whether its the card game, video game, or spinoff anime) takes at least 1 thing from the manga. The best way to read the Yugioh manga

In regards to the anime, when Shueisha decided to make an anime adaptation of Yugioh for 1998, they decided to make it a multimedia series with a card game by Bandai releasing on the same day as the anime with video games following. This is what hurt Yugioh as an anime adaptation. Yugioh is a story series about games. Yugioh means Game King. Not Card Game King. They were trying to sell a card game by forcing it into the anime. Anime has greater power and visibility than manga. What is shown in the anime will basically be set in stone and spread throughout history. So if you tell a lie in the anime, it will be seen as truth by people who haven't read the source manga. Instead of accurately adapting the manga, the Toei staff and NAS/Gallop staff thought they could tell a better story than the creator. They changed so much things that there are 3 different canons of the original series.

Takahashi manga canon: Yugioh manga > Transcend Game > The Dark Side of Dimensions (Note: Yugioh R manga was made by Akira Itou, not by Takahashi)

Even though Duel Monsters starts on chapter 60 of the manga, it is by a different studio who is pushing the Konami card game (Toei pushed the Bandai card game). Its a reboot so it disconnects from the Toei Yugioh anime and has to reintroduce characters that appeared in it quickly.

Also, because the anime aired at 6 PM and 7:30/6:30 PM, there's censorship/altered scenes (+ chapters not adapted) because the manga content was too dark for TV at that time of day. Yugioh needs to air at midnight for the older audience so it wont be censored. Its not even hard to target two different audiences with the current stuff for the younger audience and the faithful adaptation for the mature folk after midnight.

Yugioh never had a chance for a faithful adaptation and with the card game taking over for so long that its part of society, there may never be a chance. The last chance would be the 30th manga anniversary after they didn't do anything for the 25th anniversary in 2021.

Wow, Thanks for such a detailed response.
May 7, 11:34 PM

Dec 2012
Reply to Biisoo
Rob said:

Wow, Thanks for such a detailed response.
@Biisoo You're welcome. Not sure if you started reading or watching it yet, but if you (or anyone else) haven't: If you played the real life card game (Konami because I doubt you played the Bandai game) before, do not compare it to the card game in the manga. You will ruin your experience because as I've seen for the longest someone complains about the rules. The manga came first. The card game and rules in the manga are the original rules. Bandai and Konami are altered versions of the rules. You have to view the series from a Japanese perspective. There was no real life card until 1998 and 1999. The card game in the manga appears in 1996, 1997, etc.. Japanese viewers just enjoyed the card game in the manga because they had nothing to compare it to. Like I said before, Yugioh is a story series. The story gameplay is why the card game is amazing in the manga. Trying to be realistic and strict in fiction hurts the card game, especially when the series wasn't made by the creator to sell cards. When you watch the anime after reading the manga, thats when the comparisons begin because you will notice what was altered. I know I called the anime butchered before, but both series have great music and voice acting (assuming you are going to watch in Japanese). The Series 1 Toei series (movie included) is on the internet if you know where to look. Its also on YouTube.

Lastly, I should note that the only uncensored/unaltered version of the manga is the original Japanese volume version from the 90's to 2004. Japan got sensitive in the 2010's with the bunkoban rerelease. I'm sure you know Yugioh started as a horror series. They made slight changes to Yami Yugi's face to make him less scary, for example. The English manga version has some censorship. The English translations are questionable and they change the chapter/volume titles, which are important. They use the English dub terms like "Duel Monsters" (This started in the Toei anime in Japan) instead of "Magic & Wizards / M&W" (They originally used it, but changed it in the rerelease). They use the English dub name for one character in the manga, but use the Japanese names for the other characters. The English manga also can't escape the card game. They use the English dub/Konami English names of the cards. They put the altered Konami effects on the cards even though the manga is using its manga effects, which causes confusion. You can always look up the uncensored scenes anyway. That's about it. You are up to date for the most part. Enjoy.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 8, 3:01 PM

Apr 2015
Rob said:
@Biisoo You're welcome. Not sure if you started reading or watching it yet, but if you (or anyone else) haven't: If you played the real life card game (Konami because I doubt you played the Bandai game) before, do not compare it to the card game in the manga. You will ruin your experience because as I've seen for the longest someone complains about the rules. The manga came first. The card game and rules in the manga are the original rules. Bandai and Konami are altered versions of the rules. You have to view the series from a Japanese perspective. There was no real life card until 1998 and 1999. The card game in the manga appears in 1996, 1997, etc.. Japanese viewers just enjoyed the card game in the manga because they had nothing to compare it to. Like I said before, Yugioh is a story series. The story gameplay is why the card game is amazing in the manga. Trying to be realistic and strict in fiction hurts the card game, especially when the series wasn't made by the creator to sell cards. When you watch the anime after reading the manga, thats when the comparisons begin because you will notice what was altered. I know I called the anime butchered before, but both series have great music and voice acting (assuming you are going to watch in Japanese). The Series 1 Toei series (movie included) is on the internet if you know where to look. Its also on YouTube.

Lastly, I should note that the only uncensored/unaltered version of the manga is the original Japanese volume version from the 90's to 2004. Japan got sensitive in the 2010's with the bunkoban rerelease. I'm sure you know Yugioh started as a horror series. They made slight changes to Yami Yugi's face to make him less scary, for example. The English manga version has some censorship. The English translations are questionable and they change the chapter/volume titles, which are important. They use the English dub terms like "Duel Monsters" (This started in the Toei anime in Japan) instead of "Magic & Wizards / M&W" (They originally used it, but changed it in the rerelease). They use the English dub name for one character in the manga, but use the Japanese names for the other characters. The English manga also can't escape the card game. They use the English dub/Konami English names of the cards. They put the altered Konami effects on the cards even though the manga is using its manga effects, which causes confusion. You can always look up the uncensored scenes anyway. That's about it. You are up to date for the most part. Enjoy.

l haven't yet started Yu-Gi-Oh yet, But what you mean is that the Original 31 Volumes are less censored than the Omnibus one?
If that's so then I should read the former instead.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Chapter 127 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 9, 2019

2 by Queeneugi »»
Mar 16, 8:41 AM

» I find it impressive that Kazuki Takahashi was able to write the Pharaoh's Memories arc as cohesive as he did considering he was hospitalized and was on a lot of medication when he wrote it

MonsterTeeth - Aug 19, 2023

6 by removed-user »»
Dec 19, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Chapter 1 Discussion

thecatchphrase - Jan 20, 2012

14 by Rob »»
Dec 17, 2023 11:47 PM

» When this aspect of Yami Bakura's identity was revealed in the final arc, what did you think of it?

MonsterTeeth - Aug 25, 2023

2 by Rob »»
Dec 17, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Chapter 4 Discussion

DeleteThisShit - Dec 22, 2013

4 by FMmatron »»
Nov 20, 2023 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.